Bills by 14 over G Mason

The Wiz

First, some housekeeping matters............

Bills ( A ) tied for best start in their 100 yr history....also 19-2 ...!993-94 Spoon & 1947-48 Hickey

Back in Dec, I put out the top 10 starts in Bills history list so we could do the countdown and today we have arrived...A win over GM and this will be the best starting team ever...that's saying alot.

What a great win last night over Rich.... I was glad to see that we won by 20 (our 8th blowout of the season & easily our best) . We needed that both numbers wise and mentally and emotionally. I get questions from casual fans who ask ...."are the Bills really that good?"....After last night's game there should be no doubt. Last night's game also fixed the numbers from the Duq game. We are now back numerically where we were before RI and before Duq. We now need to follow up with a convincing win over GM....ie 14 or more points....no 2 or 3 pt nailbiter.

Here is what we need to do to win...

GM ( C+ ) is a 2 guard team....Wright & Allen (10 & 0 in your program)....stop them ....game over. The magic number is 14....want to win by more than 14 ....hold them each to less than 14...if they go over 14 then our margin will be less than 14.....14's are wild.

GM is an average 3 pt team....I would like to see us hold them to 24% from the arc....no more than 11 shots and no more than 3 made.

We always win when..........

10-0....when we hold the opp to 57 or less (btw that was Rich lowest pt total of the season)

9-0.....when we shoot 33.3% from 3

7-0.....when Jett makes 5 FT

5-0.....when we score 77pts or more (btw Crews new look on offense seemed to payoff)

10-1 ...when Evans scores 15 or more

Tip o' the Bills cap to Jett for another career night on rebounds....10 overall & 7 def

On to Sat and history

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mason has some athletes but all I've seen of them is enigmatic performances. They had Umass beat at home and clunked, choked and tripped over themselves in closing. They never gave GeeDub a real game and get beat handily there at home. They have a nice front line but the Wiz is correct --- Allen and Wright run their show. Hewitt has been benching Wright come stretch time lately too, which i don't understand. His third guard is a gangly, weak looking kid but he seems to a t least take the shot when open. I think they are less than Richmond and look what we did there. Of course, they do have a couple fo those power forward types we like to turn into stars so nothing is a given.

Here's the rundown - Mason is underachieving. They really should be 3-3 in conference right now if they don't throw up all over themselves in the final minute against UMass, St. Joes, and URI. They have led at half for 5 of their 6 A10 games (the other was down 1 to VCU), but they just can't get it done in the 2nd half for a variety of reasons. Here are the players:

Marquise Moore will probably start at PG - he's a freshman, decent handle, can drive to the hoop very well, but has an awful jump shot. You guys will probably not guard him anywhere near the 3 point line.

Bryon Allen will be the SG. Has a good shot, can drive to the basket. Problem is they try to run him at point sometimes and he'll dribble it off his foot.

Sherrod Wright at the 3. Was to be our best player coming in, but is in a funk. He'll turn it over more than he should, but can be dangerous.

Jalen Jenkins is the 4. He's a 6'7" freshman - very athletic. He has won the rookie of the week award for the A10 the past three weeks. We were tied with GW in the 2nd half until he got in foul trouble, when he came out the wheels fell off.

Eric Copes at the 5. He was a top 100 kid coming out of HS, but has had hip injuries that have hurt his progress. He is limited offensively, but can play decent D when he's not fouling

Other guys:

Patrick Holloway is our "gangly weak looking kid" - gets decent minutes, best shooter on the team by far. Is 6th in the A10 in 3's, but defense isn't the best.

Johnny Williams is our first forward in - sometimes gets the starting nod. Can shoot the mid range shot, would like to see him be more physical on the boards.

Marco Gujanicic is another forward - overseas kid who does everything well, but nothing outstanding. pretty good passer and can knock down the three.

Anali Okoloji - an athletic forward who transferred from Seton Hall. We wonder why he gets the minutes he does.

My guess is Mason will probably hang around for a little bit, you guys will go on a run in the 2nd half and pull away to win by around 15. Mason has the ability to play with anyone in the conference, but it's just one of those years where anything that can go wrong does go wrong. It's our first losing season in 15 years. Fans are ready for Hewitt to get his walking papers - don't think it will happen with two years left on his contract.

Feel free to drop by our message boards at Masonhoops.com to tell us how disappointing we have been to the A10. :(

Here's the rundown - Mason is underachieving. They really should be 3-3 in conference right now if they don't throw up all over themselves in the final minute against UMass, St. Joes, and URI. They have led at half for 5 of their 6 A10 games (the other was down 1 to VCU), but they just can't get it done in the 2nd half for a variety of reasons. Here are the players:

Marquise Moore will probably start at PG - he's a freshman, decent handle, can drive to the hoop very well, but has an awful jump shot. You guys will probably not guard him anywhere near the 3 point line.

Bryon Allen will be the SG. Has a good shot, can drive to the basket. Problem is they try to run him at point sometimes and he'll dribble it off his foot.

Sherrod Wright at the 3. Was to be our best player coming in, but is in a funk. He'll turn it over more than he should, but can be dangerous.

Jalen Jenkins is the 4. He's a 6'7" freshman - very athletic. He has won the rookie of the week award for the A10 the past three weeks. We were tied with GW in the 2nd half until he got in foul trouble, when he came out the wheels fell off.

Eric Copes at the 5. He was a top 100 kid coming out of HS, but has had hip injuries that have hurt his progress. He is limited offensively, but can play decent D when he's not fouling

Other guys:

Patrick Holloway is our "gangly weak looking kid" - gets decent minutes, best shooter on the team by far. Is 6th in the A10 in 3's, but defense isn't the best.

Johnny Williams is our first forward in - sometimes gets the starting nod. Can shoot the mid range shot, would like to see him be more physical on the boards.

Marco Gujanicic is another forward - overseas kid who does everything well, but nothing outstanding. pretty good passer and can knock down the three.

Anali Okoloji - an athletic forward who transferred from Seton Hall. We wonder why he gets the minutes he does.

My guess is Mason will probably hang around for a little bit, you guys will go on a run in the 2nd half and pull away to win by around 15. Mason has the ability to play with anyone in the conference, but it's just one of those years where anything that can go wrong does go wrong. It's our first losing season in 15 years. Fans are ready for Hewitt to get his walking papers - don't think it will happen with two years left on his contract.

Feel free to drop by our message boards at Masonhoops.com to tell us how disappointing we have been to the A10. :(

appreciate the info. It's always nice to get the rundown from someone who actually watches the team instead of me just looking through stats and trying to figure out how it's gonna play out. I hope you guys can turn it around down the stretch. preferably right after this game

Other guys:

Oh, a 6'7" 4? Great. History suggests he'll score 19 and have 13 boards.

Jenkins also sounds like an incoming GMU player that SLU recruited - Therence Mayimba. He's a kid with a high ceiling, 6-7 but skinny and more of a 3. Lock-down defender, raw on offense, lots of potential.

The type of kid that Hewitt is recruitng is vastly different than the type of kid the Coach L used to recruit. Hewitt loves the athletic, face the basket type guys with length that can play mulitple positions. Larranaga used to go after the undersized back to the basket types who could score. I think the transition has a little to do with our struggles right now, mostly that Hewitt is trying to run a system for players he doesn't realy have yet.

Oh well, take it easy on us.

Other guys:

Seriously if I wanted to read a book I'd pick up John Taffers book on the bar business...

The type of kid that Hewitt is recruitng is vastly different than the type of kid the Coach L used to recruit. Hewitt loves the athletic, face the basket type guys with length that can play mulitple positions. Larranaga used to go after the undersized back to the basket types who could score. I think the transition has a little to do with our struggles right now, mostly that Hewitt is trying to run a system for players he doesn't realy have yet.

Oh well, take it easy on us.

He had a lot of guys that fit that bill at Georgia Tech. I think Ismail Muhammad dunked from about 1 foot inside the free throw line on us down in Atlanta my sophomore year. This is only year 3 for him at GMU; I've always thought a coach needs at least that many to put his stamp on a program, if not a full 4. People are too impatient these days. You guys will be competitive in this conference very soon.

He had a lot of guys that fit that bill at Georgia Tech. I think Ismail Muhammad dunked from about 1 foot inside the free throw line on us down in Atlanta my sophomore year. This is only year 3 for him at GMU; I've always thought a coach needs at least that many to put his stamp on a program, if not a full 4. People are too impatient these days. You guys will be competitive in this conference very soon.

Ismail Muhammad, nice memory. That kid had some incredible dunks and that team was fun to watch. Georgia Tech had some talented teams back then with guys like Chris Bosh, Ed Nelson, BJ Elder, Jarrett Jack, Will Bynum, Luke Schenscher, Marvin Lewis, Ismail Muhammad, and then guys like Anthony Morrow, Javaris Crittenton, and Thaddeus Young.

Dr. Gunnie, I could not agree more that there is good potential within the GM team. However it appears that the GM team has to become familiar with the play level intensity within A10 and be able to sustain it for the full game before it can hope to win consistently in this conference. I am confident you will be able to do this but it may take some time.

Ismail Muhammad, nice memory. That kid had some incredible dunks and that team was fun to watch. Georgia Tech had some talented teams back then with guys like Chris Bosh, Ed Nelson, BJ Elder, Jarrett Jack, Will Bynum, Luke Schenscher, Marvin Lewis, Ismail Muhammad, and then guys like Anthony Morrow, Javaris Crittenton, and Thaddeus Young.

Watching Jarrett Jack up close that day, I gained a lot more appreciation for his game. So strong and smart, uses his thicker frame to gain an advantage on quicker guards. Man, he could play.

I had forgotten a few of those names. They had some serious talent during Hewitt's early years. Shumpert was pretty much it during his later years.

Seriously if I wanted to read a book I'd pick up John Taffers book on the bar business...

A Taffer reference -- Shut it down!

Might have to dial up a Taffer related sign for the tournament this year.

MM and JJ should absolutely abuse a freshman PG.

Let's not freak out if GM is hanging around at half.. Sounds like they are the opposite of us in terms of starting hot and fading in the second.

A Taffer reference -- Shut it down!

Might have to dial up a Taffer related sign for the tournament this year.

MM and JJ should absolutely abuse a freshman PG.

Let's not freak out if GM is hanging around at half.. Sounds like they are the opposite of us in terms of starting hot and fading in the second.

If we come out playing defense like we did against Richmond It will be another slaughter unless they can shoot the moon from long range......

Ed Nelson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one of my all time favs

-was the last time Hewitt coached in STL the dreadful game on ABC between GaTech and SLU played at kielcenter/savvis/Scottrade? I am confident we show much better tomorrow

-be careful folks, might be slick

Interestingly, I think we played GaTech earlier that same season in a tournament in Vegas and beat them. Played them just a couple months later at our place and got smoked.