Bills by 8 over Ind State

The Wiz

That rhyming headline flows nicely. Hopefully, the game will too.

While the game last night wasn't Wo-ful we did lose a little ground in the numbers. The good news is we are still an A team. Better off than VCU who slipped to A- after last nights clunker. On another note, the Bonnies moved up to B with a good win at Iona.

On to ISU (B+ ). At the beginning of the season, I put an asterisk by this game. Why? As one who tracks 3 pt shots, I figured this would be our toughest opponent in this category. Nothing has changed my mind to this point. Ind St is 3rd in the nation in 3 pt shooting coming in at nearly 45%. From the field they are shooting 50% (16th) and FT about 75% (25th)...This team can just flat out shoot.

So what do we need to do to win? Hold them to 11 three point shots and allowing them to make only 3 or 4.three pointers. If this happens, we will be fine. If ISU pushes above 36% from the arc we will need to step up our game. If they get hot (above 45%) we could be in trouble.

A win against the Sycamores would be our best win YTD but we will have to step things up a notch and bring our A game to do it.

Go Bills

Indiana State's two losses are by a grand total of two points ....by one at Belmont and by one to Tulsa in the Great Alaska Shootout. And they trashed Notre Dame in South Bend. These are not to be trifled with.

Indiana State's two losses are by a grand total of two points ....by one at Belmont and by one to Tulsa in the Great Alaska Shootout. And they trashed Notre Dame in South Bend. These are not to be trifled with.

This is true. This game is not to be taken lightly.

A few stats:

-Indiana State - like SLU - does not rebound well. 31.1 per game. Their leading rebounder is also the leading scorer, Jake Odum, a senior guard (4.7 RPG). He also leads the team with 4.6 APG.

-They do, however, shoot well - a cool 50% from the field for the season. They shoot the 3 extremely well: 44.8%. Same with free throws, 75.2%.

-They really, really spread out the points: 13.1, 12.7, 11.0, 10.9, 9.6, 8.4 - those are the averages of the guys playing more than 20 minutes per game. 3 of the 4 top scorers are seniors and the other is a junior. Lot of experience on the roster.

-They average about 11 turnovers a game, very solid.

SLU has to rebound well in this one. They don't seem to send many guys to the glass on the offensive end. They're solid with the ball. Just a very steady, smart, experienced, non-mistake-prone kind of team. Can't play ugly like we have in so many games thus far.

This is a pivotal game for the Bills. A win would be our best of the year so far....a loss would drop us back to A-. More importantly, this will set the tone for the next few weeks. The schedule will get much more difficult as we move forward. A solid win will give us some momentum going forward.

Defend the 3 and we will win.

Indiana State lost to Belmont and Tulsa, neither of which is very good. The other games they have won that have not been very strong. SLU on the other side has lost two games against very strong teams and won everything else. This will be an interesting game, but I think we should win it. As a matter of fact Team rankings gives us 3 out of 5 stars confidence of winning with a point spread of 7.5 in our favor. Let us hope they are correct.

Indiana State lost to Belmont and Tulsa, neither of which is very good. The other games they have won that have not been very strong. SLU on the other side has lost two games against very strong teams and won everything else. This will be an interesting game, but I think we should win it. As a matter of fact Team rankings gives us 3 out of 5 stars confidence of winning with a point spread of 7.5 in our favor. Let us hope they are correct.

Belmont has been a very solid program for a number of years. They're 43rd in the RPI and in the Top 75 in KenPom last I checked. They also beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill this season...

So ISU has 2 one point losses to Tulsa (C+ ) at ISU and Belmont (B+ ) at Belmont. They also have a very quality win over Notre Dame (A- ) 21st in the polls when they played them at ND.

So what is the common thread.....Tulsa, a slightly above average team, beats them at Terre Haute. A much better Belmont just barely wins in Nashville. And Notre Dame, the best team they faced, winning in South Bend at the half by 10, loses by 13.

ISU shoots an average of nearly 45% from the 3 (3rd in the nation)

Tulsa holds them to 35%

Belmont holds them to 40.9%

Notre Dame lets them shoot 55%.

Defend the 3 and we win....this assumes we have at least a somewhat average game. If we stink it up, it won't matter what they do.

Bottomline...expect to win

Gant and Odum are very good D-1 guys, both from TH, and pretty athletic. I wish Gant was on our team! 1st team all-state in Indiana as a senior; he might recall a poor man's Big Country for some of you old-timers. Odum also was all-state as a senior. 2 Hoosier-gymrat white boys who can ball... Plus Khristian Smith from Pike in Indy; could be an interesting match-up with DE. Big, brawny type; or else maybe on JJ??

As for the losses, both on the road. One in Anchorage, in the first game after traveling up there, which is like flying to Europe. and by 1 pt.

Beware of the Sycs! I'm not predicting that we lose but the final 2 minutes could be very close indeed. Me worried . . . .

This game will be tough. Indiana State has a nice team.

Without a win in this game there will be 0 top 100 non-con wins. There will be chances for those in conference, but it would be nice to come into conference play with a good W even if it is at home.

Guess you didn't read the original post where I used the word "nearly 45". Also, I guess they don't teach rounding off at ISU

ISU 3 pt %= 44.83%

Wiz, I think you misread Jonny Karate's post (which is made likely by the lack of punctuation). I think he was saying, "ISU shoots 45 percent from 3?! In contrast, aren't the Bills shooting just 43 percent from the field, overall? That could spell trouble." I don't think he was disputing your numbers.

Wiz, I think you misread Jonny Karate's post (which is made likely by the lack of punctuation). I think he was saying, "ISU shoots 45 percent from 3?! In contrast, aren't the Bills shooting just 43 percent from the field, overall? That could spell trouble." I don't think he was disputing your numbers.

Well if he is asking what the overall FGM %....again in my original post I have all the figures....45% from 3 (44.83%)...50% overall from the field...75% from the FT line

Maybe, it's me but it just isn't very clear what he is saying.

As for the Bills matchup.....we are 43.7% overall....30.2% three pt.....70.7% FT.....

So yes there is cause for concern......But we are the better team and we are playing at home....I remain confident we will rise to the occasion.

More importantly than percentages in my opinion is how many 3's they take and make per game. Looks like they're at about 7.2 3's made per game. So that's not at the top of the country but again they shoot a high percentage from anywhere. But since they shoot a high percentage you have to take away the opportunity. If we let them shoot 50% from 3 but it's just 2-4, I'l like our chances. If we hold them to say 33% but they go like 8-24, I might not be as confident.

The posted point spread keeps on growing we are now at 10.0 in favor of SLU. Also the level of confidence went from 3 out of 5 stars to 4 out of 5 stars at Team Rankings. This does not mean we will win, only that they are getting pretty sure we will do so.

The Billikens are 2-7 against the spread this year. 2-5 as a favorite.

The posted point spread keeps on growing we are now at 10.0 in favor of SLU. Also the level of confidence went from 3 out of 5 stars to 4 out of 5 stars at Team Rankings. This does not mean we will win, only that they are getting pretty sure we will do so.

Mb is the only source of gambling advice on this forum fella. You better check yourself before you wreck your hip.

Mb is the only source of gambling advice on this forum fella. You better check yourself before you wreck your hip.

Kindly explain this, I read quotes about rankings in Kenpom, but I am aware this site does not give point spreads. Team rankings is a decent site open to all. They may not be perfect but they do this commercially and have some degree of success in what they say. What does Mb say about this particular game that clashes with what Team Rankings is saying? I am not trying to be opposite, I am just trying to understand why you are saying what you say to the exclusion of other information.