Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Frank and Charlie predicting that Tilmon goes to Mizzou and Pickett to SLU.  

With zero inside information, those would also be my picks. About 75% chance of each if you ask me.

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Frank suggested it was tied to Gillman leaving? If so, Frank should be smarter than that.

It started with him breaking the news of the Gillmann situation and then you could hear him getting a bit excited and kind of implying that this opens things up for Tilmon and SLU. I would have to go back to listen to it, but I think it was just kind of train of thought and him getting excited, but he definitely went straight from saying Gillmann is no longer on scholarship to Tilmon being in play for SLU and his family not wanting to have to travel far to watch him play. He has since softened on the Tilmon/SLU talk with him and Tuna both saying they think Tilmon ends up at Mizzou. He does think Pickett to SLU is a lock.

If Pickett commits soon, you do have to wonder if SLU can become a serious factor with Tilmon.

Just a sense the whole Tilmon to Mizzou thing has been a lock ever since the ESL assistant sent out that tweet. I'm guessing there has been no official announcement, because they are letting things cool off a bit and get some distance from the appearance of tampering while Tilmon was under LOI with Illinois. Hope I'm wrong and agree with ChosenOne... Frank trying to connect AG leaving with JT makes no sense, considering we have two other available scholarships.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Just a sense the whole Tilmon to Mizzou thing has been a lock ever since the ESL assistant sent out that tweet. I'm guessing there has been no official announcement, because they are letting things cool off a bit and get some distance from the appearance of tampering while Tilmon was under LOI with Illinois. Hope I'm wrong and agree with ChosenOne... Frank trying to connect AG leaving with JT makes no sense, considering we have two other available scholarships.

I think he went into train of thought mode and got off script when he read the Gillmann announcement, so I doubt he intended what I took away. Especially since he and Charlie Tuna are predicting Tilmon to Mizzou. Kind of jumping around, but he has been consistent on Pickett to SLU looking good.

21 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Frank suggested it was tied to Gillman leaving? If so, Frank should be smarter than that.

Maybe Tilmon really wanted to wear #25...

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Tilmon has major red flags to me but I won't pretend that I wouldn't be excited if he came to SLU.

Count me in this camp. 

21 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Maybe Tilmon really wanted to wear #25...

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Tilmon has major red flags to me but I won't pretend that I wouldn't be excited if he came to SLU.

Count me in this camp. 

Just now, TFord and TRavs said:

So don't know if you guys checked but check for yourself if you wish. After all the buzz of Pickett to SLU he went off social media and dissappeared for awhile. Now after over a week of no social media interactions he just liked one tweet about his visit to SLU

It would be nice to get that one signed, sealed, and delivered.

31 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

So don't know if you guys checked but check for yourself if you wish. After all the buzz of Pickett to SLU he went off social media and dissappeared for awhile. Now after over a week of no social media interactions he just liked one tweet about his visit to SLU

Don't do this to yourself. Analyzing the social media actions of 17-18 year olds will drive you mad

16 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Not that SLU was re-involved, but Thomas Allen is going to Nebraska. 

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Interesting, it was said that Kansas was targeting him, so I assumed that was where he would end up.

I think Nebraska was one of his visits in the fall, so some familiarity. 

I have an additional theory in Allen. Back when we were recruiting him, I remember reading or watching an interview of him where he mentioned playing with an Adidas AAU program and having a connection to this brand. NC State, where he initially signed, has an Adidas deal. Nebraska, Adidas as well. Kansas, who he supposedly considered, Adidas. Not sure how much of a chance a non-Adidas school actually had.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Nope Chosenone, you assumed Pickett would choose Kansas because, if you had been in Pickett's shoes, that would have been your choice. However, let's wait to get a signed LOI to see what really happens.

You do realize that Thomas Allen committed to Nebraska, not Javon Pickett, right?

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

I have an additional theory in Allen. Back when we were recruiting him, I remember reading or watching an interview of him where he mentioned playing with an Adidas AAU program and having a connection to this brand. NC State, where he initially signed, has an Adidas deal. Nebraska, Adidas as well. Kansas, who he supposedly considered, Adidas. Not sure how much of a chance a non-Adidas school actually had.

You do realize that Thomas Allen committed to Nebraska, not Javon Pickett, right?

I hear this come up every once in a while... what is the point of signing with an "adidas school" or "Nike school"? That just seems strange that would be a big factor.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I mean, we're not in a position to turn down this level of talent. You can believe whatever narrative you want in terms of his red flags - there are plenty of examples of talented kids that didn't pan out because of academic or family or legal or whatever issues, but there are also a lot of kids with red flags who landed in good spots and had nice careers. To me, he is the kind of talent that you take a chance on. I have a lot more faith in our current staff to make it work than with some of our previous coaching staffs.

@TheChosenOne has said it before but he's a perfect fit on our roster right now, too.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

I hear this come up every once in a while... what is the point of signing with an "adidas school" or "Nike school"? That just seems strange that would be a big factor.

If it really is a material consideration, then I imagine there is money involved somewhere along the way.  Maybe not directly to the player, but it's somewhere in the mix (e.g. Through the AAU team, prospect of future endorsement deals, etc.).

7 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Another senior moment, my apologies to all, my bad.

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm generally in the same boat. I'd heard of it, but didn't have an example of it happening. Then, I saw the Thomas Allen interview. My guess is the shoe company sponsors the AAU programs, gets the coaches on board, who then influence the kids. It could be a matter of simple brainwashing. Some kids follow and some kids don't.

Two things with Tilmon.......

The reason why this process has played out so long two times now is that he has people really close to him pushing for him to go to different schools.  This isn't something where they are trying to let the heat cool down before he heads to Mizzou.  He really doesn't know where he wants to go because he doesn't want to let people close to him down by picking a school different than the one they want or the one they don't want him to pick.

Second,  there are some minor red flags with Tilmon.  Stuff like grades and just his recruiting process in general.  I don't know where he stands on qualifying, but I think it probably a good sign it hasn't been brought up recently. His recruiting process is what it is. Tilmon isn't a bad kid.