USA Today Coaches Poll Released

VCU at 15, and Witchita State at 16 ... equal parts pissed and excited.

WSU has a 100% chance of being in the top 15 when slu plays. plenty of big games to fly up the ladder. Also Wisconsin plays Florida at home before, so they would even go up before.

For reference: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2013/week/1/seasontype/2 - the preseason polls from last season. The coaches poll had us 27th, AP 29th. Kentucky was third in both, receiving some first place votes in both.

Here's the final coaches poll: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2013/week/4/seasontype/3 - No sign of Kentucky, NC State, or some of the other goofball overrated picks. And there we are at #16. Not too shabby.

I don't get too worked up about it. We've never gotten a ton of respect, even locally. I don't mind guys like Evans, Jett, and McCall playing their senior seasons with a chip on their shoulders. We have a chance to beat some ranked teams. Did it a lot last season- no reason it can't happen again.

The rankings in college basketball mainly exist only so the media can hype up games with lines like "DON'T MISS THIS TOP TEN SHOWDOWN TONIGHT ONLY ON ESPN!!"

They are totally ignored by the selection committee in March. Plus there's no way the coaches can watch all the games and accurately pick who's better than who. I suppose it helps recruiting and ticket sales, but it's really nothing to get upset about at all.

I found it interesting that the new BE had only one team in the top 25, same as the A-10. Although, the A-10's team was ranked higher. In the other's receiving votes portion the new BE had 3 teams and the A-10 had 2.

If the list represents the respect shown to programs in the pre-season, because it certainly doesn't reflect much more than that as proven above, then it would appear as if there is not much separation between the respect for the top of the new BE and the respect for the top of the A-10 at the outset of the season.

I prefer sitting at a rating like this to start. Lets us know that we have some recognition but doesn't put a target on our back. Also harder to lose focus this way. Rankings earned are way sweeter than rankings handed to you

I agree to a degree, but 36 is still high. I'm okay with not being a Top 25 team right out of the gate, but we should be within a few slots of it. Like somebody said, this will get the target off our back and give the guys some motivation to prove who they are.

It's nice for exposure to be ranked. Preseason mags aren't what the used to be, but being ranked gets you national press, esp. ESPN and attention on the ticker. It's awesome to see SLU get this publicity.

#36 is okay, but they need to have a strong pre-conference run to get safely into the top 25. A couple losses out of the gate and then it's 2012 all over again in terms of getting ranked.

At least we have the attention of enough voters, who are generally lazy, and when a few teams get upset or have multiple losses, SLU moves up by attrition. Gotta beat Wisconsin.

It's nice for exposure to be ranked. Preseason mags aren't what the used to be, but being ranked gets you national press, esp. ESPN and attention on the ticker. It's awesome to see SLU get this publicity.

#36 is okay, but they need to have a strong pre-conference run to get safely into the top 25. A couple losses out of the gate and then it's 2012 all over again in terms of getting ranked.

At least we have the attention of enough voters, who are generally lazy, and when a few teams get upset or have multiple losses, SLU moves up by attrition. Gotta beat Wisconsin.

It is a little disappointing because it is one more selling point to recruits. But the good news is that the program has built up enough of a reputation recently that if we got off to a good start, we'll quickly move into the Top 25.