Recruiting - 2016

Kshoe, there are such businesses. Check the watch issue in Financial Times supplement "How to Spend It." Real name. They have watches advertised for over 200,000 pounds. If this is not enough to convince you that you will never have it, you might want to sign a power of attorney giving someone else control over your bank account.

Since 0% means 0%, this company must have never ever sold a watch. Is that what you are suggesting, that a company continues to advertise selling watches at 200,000 pounds yet never ever sells them?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/01/06/tyler-cook-jayson-tatum-interview-chaminade/21360769/

Good interview with Tatum and Cook. Knott only asks about SLU and Tatum says SLU is still in it. Cook said he wants to trim his list down soon.

No bad news here. We've offered Cook, right? He seems like a decent enough athletic 4 to give an offer, especially if he and Tatum are as tight as it appears they are in the interview.

I would take Tatum in a heartbeat. However, I actually think it would be better for the program to land someone like tyler cook in the long run. Tatum would give SLU instant attention, but everyone would know his stay will be short. I would prefer to see the program build brick by brick for the future, slowly attracting better and better recruits.

I would take Tatum in a heartbeat. However, I actually think it would be better for the program to land someone like tyler cook in the long run. Tatum would give SLU instant attention, but everyone would know his stay will be short. I would prefer to see the program build brick by brick for the future, slowly attracting better and better recruits.

I think the precedent signing Tatum would set would be invaluable to our program. Down the line, other top local recruits would see him succeed here and go at the top of the draft and realize that they don't need to go to Florida, UK, KU, etc to be a pro. Think of it like Memphis, who has done a pretty good job of keeping local kids home and has had sustained success as a result (even while playing checkers).

A 3-4 year guy like Cook would also be great, as those are the kinds of guys you build a program around. But I'm reluctant to say it would be better than having a generational talent like Tatum, even for just one year.

Kshoe they must sell enough watches to stay in business and pay bills. However the fact that some people buy them absolutely shocks me.

One type of company that needs to spend cartloads of money in developing products that they know are not likely to reach the market are the pharmaceuticals. Lots of money is spent in developing drugs that ultimately have 0% chance of being sold to anyone because they fail the FDA mandated testing, or do not work as expected, or are too toxic for use. Pharmaceutical companies do not go bankrupt, they merely pass the expense to all people who buy their approved products.

I do not think SLU is at any risk of going bankrupt by spending money recruiting good basketball prospects. They will find the way to recoup their investment.

Kshoe they must sell enough watches to stay in business and pay bills. However the fact that some people buy them absolutely shocks me.

One type of company that needs to spend cartloads of money in developing products that they know are not likely to reach the market are the pharmaceuticals. Lots of money is spent in developing drugs that ultimately have 0% chance of being sold to anyone because they fail the FDA mandated testing, or do not work as expected, or are too toxic for use. Pharmaceutical companies do not go bankrupt, they merely pass the expense to all people who buy their approved products.

I do not think SLU is at any risk of going bankrupt by spending money recruiting good basketball prospects. They will find the way to recoup their investment.

Well in comparisons these companies are hardly doing their part in developing new drugs - they simply wait until the NIH has paid for the tough work and then they want to step in and carry the ball the last 10 yards. You could have picked a better example.

Comparing college basketball recruiting to drug companies? What the hell is going on here.

Here is a better example. If you're not first, you're last.

Finishing 2nd for Tatum doesn't do anything for Saint Louis University. Period. It is a net negative when you figure the time invested in him that could have been spent on other players.

This isn't opinion. It is fact.

PG - Bartley (Jr)

SG - Roby (Jr)

SF - Tatum (Fr)

PF - Yarbrough (Jr)

C - Neufeld (So)

Crawford, Gillmann, Reynolds off the bench.

Stacked

I still believe that Neufeld is going to be an absolute stud coming in. If our main problem really is bigs, then he might be the key to a more potent offense and sound defense.

Someone should tweet this lineup at Tatum

I still believe that Neufeld is going to be an absolute stud coming in. If our main problem really is bigs, then he might be the key to a more potent offense and sound defense.

Neufeld is a BCS level big man. Assuming he gets stronger in prep school, he'll be my favorite to start at the 5 next year once the rotation is set.

Has anybody heard anything on Tyler Cook and his interest in SLU? I think I remember from following Ben on twitter last year that he attended 10+ SLU games last year so I thought there was interest on his part but this was before the Kansas offer. I haven't heard if he has been to any games yet this year or made any visits down to talk to Crews but I know he has an offer.

Has anybody heard anything on Tyler Cook and his interest in SLU? I think I remember from following Ben on twitter last year that he attended 10+ SLU games last year so I thought there was interest on his part but this was before the Kansas offer. I haven't heard if he has been to any games yet this year or made any visits down to talk to Crews but I know he has an offer.

It's tough to say because he is a fan of SLU and said it was great to receive and offer from the team that he always rooted for, but it sounds like he wants to get away from St Louis and play for the biggest name he can get.

They aren't a package deal at all but I do think getting Tatum would help our chances with Cook.

He was with his parents first row behind the bench for the Vandy game.

As noted forever on this board. Kids change their mind on an hourly basis. Sellouts are currently happening at Chaminade with Tatum and Cook as the main attraction. If they both came here that attraction would just move a few miles down the road to Chaifetz.

That seems like something that should be easy for them to see. Kansas has been done to death.

It's tough to say because he is a fan of SLU and said it was great to receive and offer from the team that he always rooted for, but it sounds like he wants to get away from St Louis and play for the biggest name he can get.

They aren't a package deal at all but I do think getting Tatum would help our chances with Cook.

Yea I think I sort of had that impression on the biggest name. I think he would be a great get especially since, as others have mentioned, he would be here for 4 years. Having a local kid with offers to big schools like Kansas, Michigan and Florida on our team for 4 years and talking to other local recruits in the area when they come to visit would be a big help in my mind.

Hopefully him and Tatum will both decide to stay home.

PG - Bartley (Jr)

SG - Roby (Jr)

SF - Tatum (Fr)

PF - Yarbrough (Jr)

C - Neufeld (So)

Crawford, Gillmann, Reynolds off the bench.

Stacked

Add Cook to the mix and that's a talented, deep squad with pro-level size across the board.

could stare at that projected lineup all day. So we've all made every homer argument one can make an I assume they are similar to every hometown trying to keep a big fish from leaving as there are similar to all the things said when AP left the Redbirds. When it's you it all seem sensible but to outsiders and to the fish themselves it seems to usually be a losing endeavor. Got me to thinking' and I can't off top of head think of anyone else that has gone the stay at home route since Larry except DGB going to the big house in Co. remind me of others if you all can. I'll take my answers on the couch. BTW Crews was great on postgame last night

Comparing college basketball recruiting to drug companies? What the hell is going on here.

Here is a better example. If you're not first, you're last.

Finishing 2nd for Tatum doesn't do anything for Saint Louis University. Period. It is a net negative when you figure the time invested in him that could have been spent on other players.

This isn't opinion. It is fact.

Disagree JMM, your comments about the recruitment process would focus overfocus it and ultimately cause its failure. If you want good candidates you must be willing to spend time and effort developing a relationship with them, particularly with those really desirable candidates like Tatum which have shown definite interest in the program. If you choose only those that are certain to come here, you will guarantee not to get any of the candidates that are in high contention with other schools. How could you?

Regardless of Cheeseman's and your comments, the process is not dissimilar to the process of developing new drugs in the pharma industry. You set a goal for the drug, usually suppression of some kind of molecular pathway. Then you go search for compounds that might just do this. You spend a lot of money looking for highly promising candidates, and more money doing the initial testing. All of this must be done with no certainty that any particular candidate will work out and reach the market.

This is the process required to bring new drugs to the market. it is not cheap, and the heavy work is not done by the NIH. And this is exactly the process we have to follow to get the really desirable candidates to come to SLU: Work with them, spend money in the effort, and have no certainty that the effort and money spent in recruitment process will pay off until the sought candidate announces his choice.

I think the biggest problem is young guards turning the ball over. Bartley is the worst right now, but it isn't just a Bartley problem. Bartley, Crawford, Roby, and Reynolds all turn it over too much.