Recruiting - 2014

DOH,You know better. Good luck with those magna-recruits. Everyone wants to ban me, cuz i speak the truth and good CBB IQ. Someone challenge with some CBB intellect. Please.

The only thing you need to know is we got first this and last year with your so called lowly recruits while your POS got second again... There is no argument

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty lame bunch. All of em.

If I was Crews, I'd be taking the first train out to a middling Major after the season. He knows what he's not going to have and it's time to strike while the iron is hot. Don't argue with me. You know I'm right. Alabama or another middling SEC team offers and he's gone with the wind.

Hey, maybe the Lakers will offer :lol:

To think that I defended you at one point...

Somebody call Jay and Silent Bob. I really want some of whatever Mudkat is smoking.

He brings to mind one of the most reliable rules of thumb in life that I can think of,,,whenever somebody claims to be really super-smart about a particular subject on an internet message board, you can rest easy that the exact opposite is true.

What is that I hear? The trolls still pouting about our lowly 2-3 star recruits winning another conference title? "How can it possibly be so?" they ask. The same question is being asked by the great John Calipari and the disjointed Kentucky faithful.

Could it be that Billiken Rich was correct in saying that "Jim Crews has potted plants that know more about coaching than Shaka Smart"? Could it be that Shaka is more akin to Calipari than Coach K? Could it be that recruiting rankings don't mean squat outside of the top 50?

All I know is that we are A10 champs, and we didn't have to do it with these so called "top recruits" that the trolls drool over down beneath their bridge.

Pretty lame bunch. All of em.

If I was Crews, I'd be taking the first train out to a middling Major after the season. He knows what he's not going to have and it's time to strike while the iron is hot. Don't argue with me. You know I'm right. Alabama or another middling SEC team offers and he's gone with the wind.

Hey, maybe the Lakers will offer :lol:

Steve,

Please ban this troll. A lot of people wanted to ban him a while ago. You were more than fair in giving him the Metz treatment and letting him hang around and try to prove he is not a troll. But now it should be clear what this guy is all about. The fact that he has to spend so much of his time trying to convince people he "is just here to talk basketball" is very telling. It's also telling that the guy was reportedly banned by his own board. He started out just talking VCU v. SLU. But how he is hanging around, wading into a bunch of topics he clearly knows nothing about like recruiting. His sole purpose is trying to incite. You gave him a second chance and he has pi$$ed all over it.

It's sad that SLU's supremacy over VCU the last two seasons apparently has troubled him so much that he feels compelled to come on here to be disruptive, but this shouldn't be the forum for him to try to work out some of his issues.

Steve,

Please ban this troll. A lot of people wanted to ban him a while ago. You were more than fair in giving him the Metz treatment and letting him hang around and try to prove he is not a troll. But now it should be clear what this guy is all about. The fact that he has to spend so much of his time trying to convince people he "is just here to talk basketball" is very telling. It's also telling that the guy was reportedly banned by his own board. He started out just talking VCU v. SLU. But how he is hanging around, wading into a bunch of topics he clearly knows nothing about like recruiting. His sole purpose is trying to incite. You gave him a second chance and he has pi$$ed all over it.

It's sad that SLU's supremacy over VCU the last two seasons apparently has troubled him so much that he feels compelled to come on here to be disruptive, but this shouldn't be the forum for him to try to work out some of his issues.

I'm not going to defend MudKat here, because I don't think he even posts on our boards - and he seems like a troll on here to a degree.

Since Shaka has been at VCU, the series is tied at 3-3 with SLU. Only 2 home games for VCU, 3 home games for SLU and a neutral site. VCU 2-0 at home, 1-2 road, 0-1 neutral. I know you said the last two years, but the schedule was unbalanced, and VCU is a different team at home. SLU was the better team last year, but I do believe VCU is the better team this year going into the tournament (we can actually break down zone defenses, pack line defenses, or great defenses, @UVA and you guys). We're not world beaters, but we've proven ourselves on the road - and the numbers show that (RPI, Ken Pom).

To those saying that Crews coaches better than Shaka - just look at the results. VCU is a team that performs well in tournaments with quick turn arounds. Shaka led a team of 2 and 3 star recruits to the Final Four (I believe Skeen was a 4 star transfer, but underperformed greatly until his senior season).

VCU has a couple four stars in its Sophomore and Freshman class, but this is still a program relying on 2* and 3* recruits, similar to SLU. If Crews was pulling in 4*, and Top 50 recruits for next season, Billikens fans would be just as proud and excited. If Crews can get through the next couple of seasons being successful, SLU's recruiting pipeline will increase and people will believe in his ability to coach with his own players. Took Shaka a couple years, and a firmly believe SLU can do the same thing.

Best luck going forward, still a big Jordair Jett fan.

I'm not going to defend MudKat here, because I don't think he even posts on our boards - and he seems like a troll on here to a degree.

Since Shaka has been at VCU, the series is tied at 3-3 with SLU. Only 2 home games for VCU, 3 home games for SLU and a neutral site. VCU 2-0 at home, 1-2 road, 0-1 neutral. I know you said the last two years, but the schedule was unbalanced, and VCU is a different team at home. SLU was the better team last year, but I do believe VCU is the better team this year going into the tournament (we can actually break down zone defenses, pack line defenses, or great defenses, @UVA and you guys). We're not world beaters, but we've proven ourselves on the road - and the numbers show that (RPI, Ken Pom).

To those saying that Crews coaches better than Shaka - just look at the results. VCU is a team that performs well in tournaments with quick turn arounds. Shaka led a team of 2 and 3 star recruits to the Final Four (I believe Skeen was a 4 star transfer, but underperformed greatly until his senior season).

VCU has a couple four stars in its Sophomore and Freshman class, but this is still a program relying on 2* and 3* recruits, similar to SLU. If Crews was pulling in 4*, and Top 50 recruits for next season, Billikens fans would be just as proud and excited. If Crews can get through the next couple of seasons being successful, SLU's recruiting pipeline will increase and people will believe in his ability to coach with his own players. Took Shaka a couple years, and a firmly believe SLU can do the same thing.

Not trying to stir the pot. I think SLU and VCU are pretty evenly matched this year. SLU was better last year. Going back to the CBI final, VCU was better, but that SLU team barely had any healthy players left.

Saying VCU can break down any kind of defense is not true. VCU relies on turnovers for it's offense. They struggle against good half court defense. If VCU doesn't get you to turn the ball over, they are toast. That being said, VCU is phenomenal at generating turnovers.

Also, you can't argue that Smart is as good as or a better coach than Crews because VCU has performed well in quick turnaround tournaments. SLU won the quick turnaround tournament last year against VCU.

Biggest argument Shaka has is the Final Four run. That's impressive and I hope Crews gets his this year. As to VCU Being a good road team they are but SLU is a great road team with only 1 loss on the road this year.

If we meet in the finals I'm hoping the 5 days of rest will rejuvenate our players. Good guard play and breaking that press unravels "Havoc" and SLU wins. SLU's done it before and we might see it again. VCU offense is woeful when not creating quick buckets off turn overs and will be especially bad against one of the best defenses in the country. If the guys are worn out and careless then Havoc can work. I don't think that'll be the case. I think 5 seniors learned their lesson from the 3 game skid and the Rise of the Billikens continues deep into the NCAA tournament.

Not trying to stir the pot. I think SLU and VCU are pretty evenly matched this year. SLU was better last year. Going back to the CBI final, VCU was better, but that SLU team barely had any healthy players left.

Saying VCU can break down any kind of defense is not true. VCU relies on turnovers for it's offense. They struggle against good half court defense. If VCU doesn't get you to turn the ball over, they are toast. That being said, VCU is phenomenal at generating turnovers.

Also, you can't argue that Smart is as good as or a better coach than Crews because VCU has performed well in quick turnaround tournaments. SLU won the quick turnaround tournament last year against VCU.

SLU was better last year, don't think anyone will argue that. I didn't mean to make people think VCU is dynamite on offense - they're not. But they are much more adept to break down the defenses that last year were proven problems.

The VCU @SLU game: VCU forced +4 TO's, shot 12% from 3, lost the rebounding battle, shot worse than SLU, had less assists, and 10 more fouls called on VCU.

The VCU @UVA game: VCU forced +6 TO's, shot 36% from 3, shot 40% from the FT line, called for +6 more fouls etc...

I highlight these two games because 1. Away games for VCU 2. Defenses that last year I would say our offense has no shot.

Watching these two games, VCU didn't get out in transition offense much (very big difference between dead ball TO's and live ball). Forcing VCU into a half court offense usually favors the opponent. I just think VCU is doing just enough to overcome this problem, and are a bit more skilled (or coached up) to overcome it this year. UVA and especially SLU have matured players who have seen VCU's style of play (UVA played VCU in a closed scrimmage last year).

I'm just seeing a more positive outlook for VCU against that style of play, as opposed to last year. Of course, VCU lost to the long and athletic FSU by 18 or so earlier in the year - and UMass beat us by 5. Maybe athletic teams are our new problems.

Yes, Crews led SLU to the Atlantic 10 tournament championship which is commendable. But I was talking about the national tournament. These days perception is predicated on the NCAA tournament - and Shaka took 2*/3* recruits to the Final Four. People (myself included) will take 2nd or 3rd place in a Conference as long as we make a run in the tourney (I'm sure you guys would too).

In the end, you guys love Crews, and we love Shaka. Both have their reasons, and both believe it. No use in me sticking around, just saying good luck in the tournament, and I just don't want to let MudKat represent VCU all the time. Wish I could be in Brooklyn but I'll be at my own Bachelor party!

You are right, if SLU was pulling in top 50 4* recruits we would be excited. We also would not be going on other teams boards and shitting all over their recruits because they are not top 50. The problem isn't that MudKat is excited about VCU's recruiting class the problem is that he is mocking the Bills recruiting class ON A BILLIKEN BOARD.

Steve,

+1000

As Gopher said, VCU has had trouble scoring the ball, but is vastly improved in the HC game. Learning to beat the zone, but certainly not solved it entirely yet. (just don't try a 1-3-1 or things get ugly fast). VCU's pace, PPP and OPPP are clearly at the top of the league (see link, it's very good for filling your brakets too, BTW...you'll find the 10s 11s and 12s that likely will get upsets). GMU comes in 2nd and STL 3rd. The pace and OPPP are clearly the key to VCU. We lead the A10 overall in the combination of these metrics with arguably a much tougher conference schedule. These are very very telling statistics that give surprising results, considering the SOS in conference and OOC. You might be surprised to see that Tennesee looks like a really good match for Kentucky. KenPom shows some of the relativities, but these stats for top 30 teams are the most telling.

Beating the zone requires a 30% 3 point game and players learning to get to the middle of the zone and work from there. The second part is the part that VCU is starting to get. We all know that when VCU shoots 35% 3's and over 40% from the field we win. We have several guys shooting 35% from out there and Treveon Graham is pretty much a lock for 15 and 8 a game playing 4 positions. Get really hot from 3 with 70 plus pace and the game is a blowout vs almost anyone in the country. For those of you who discount Louisville, look at their stats. They are crazy good. Just watching games and seeing results doesn't tell the whole story.

I do hope that DE and JJ are healthy and happy if we get to face you. It wouldn't be the same game without them. I like the feel of seeing our team coming in on a roll and watching the HC O improving game by game.

Here's the link for anyone interested. Check out the analysis by conference. It's pretty enlightening. Cheers from the guy who knows nothing about this game!

http://johngasaway.com/2014/03/11/tuesday-truths-final-reality/

I did not come as a troll Gopher. These guys called me every name in the book (stuff that would get you an instant-ban from RamNation) and got physically threatened. This was after a bunch of Busted Dreams kinda friendly posts I started with. It's a shark tank here

Should I have not responded? Hard to say, but I have 15 of em on ignore and they keep coming out of the woodwork to say F&&& You. I wish them well except when they play us. I repeat, I will open the bar for the blue and white at Barclay's. They are a respected foe and we'd better be ready.

First things first. Stomp F-UR. Then move on. Shame GW got taken out tonite. That is a real hit to the A10. Hope they can still pull out a 10.

Why post on another team's board to begin with? We're not even talking a one-game thing. This has become a permanent residency. You have close to as many posts in less than a month than I do in four years. That's pretty much a troll by definition.