Recruiting - 2014

Roy (or anyone else) - have you seen Donovan Franklin play? He'll be a junior this year and he's at O'Fallon, if I'm not mistaken. He's on the St. Louis Eagles team with Jayson Tatum but he's a 2015 instead of 2016 player. I'm just starting to see his name pop up as a potential big-time recruit but can't find a profile page on him anywhere but MaxPreps. Any thoughts on his game? Is he really a high-level player?

Franklin definitely has potential. he was the best player imo on a mediocre at best O'Fallon team. the good news is he is only a junior to be and he has some size (listed as 6'5") and is a guard. O'Fallon is typically one of the best teams in the metro st louis area, so they are in some sort of rebuilding mode i guess. their coach does a splendid job and infact i am surprised he hasnt moved on to bigger things, i guess he is happy being a high school coach. but my point is, he will get good training over the next two years and i will be surprised if he doesnt turn out to be a nice D1 player. I dont think he is beal like at this point but not many sophomores are.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Franklin definitely has potential. he was the best player imo on a mediocre at best O'Fallon team. the good news is he is only a junior to be and he has some size (listed as 6'5") and is a guard. O'Fallon is typically one of the best teams in the metro st louis area, so they are in some sort of rebuilding mode i guess. their coach does a splendid job and infact i am surprised he hasnt moved on to bigger things, i guess he is happy being a high school coach. but my point is, he will get good training over the next two years and i will be surprised if he doesnt turn out to be a nice D1 player. I dont think he is beal like at this point but not many sophomores are.

Thanks, Roy. I'll keep an eye on his progress. I saw that he was scoring in the mid-20s regularly as a sophomore, but it sounds like part of that is due to lack of a better option on O'Fallon's current squad. He is doing well with the Eagles, though. That combo of size, guard skills, and scoring ability is promising.

The funny thing is, we obviously have a full list of names for 2014 but also know of some 2016 names because of the Tatum-Gladson class and success the younger guys have had playing up with the Eagles, but I haven't seen many 2015 names at all yet.

I wouldn't expect many sophomores to be Beal-like. That's a small handful of kids each year, nationally.

The funny thing is, we obviously have a full list of names for 2014 but also know of some 2016 names because of the Tatum-Gladson class and success the younger guys have had playing up with the Eagles, but I haven't seen many 2015 names at all yet.

Isn't Carlos Anderson a 2015 guy? I'm not sure SLU's level of interest, but as Roy can attest he has been to Chaifetz. ;)

Kelan Martin would be one great ####### get for SLU.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1497894

Martin wants to be a small forward, and frankly people have kind of doubted it. Watching him again on Saturday, he looks to be much closer to making that happen than he's been given credit for. While he showcases perimeter skills, he doesn't neglect his post game and is a fun kid to watch. Western Kentucky, UMKC, Ohio, IUPUI and Indiana State are his early offers, while Xavier has tested the waters. If the three-star prospect keeps this up, he will attract more attention and contend for the Rivals150. He wasn't the only guy taking advantage, either.

But I've yet to see SLU mentioned on any of these recruiting websites for KM.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Kelan-Martin-131537

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/kelan-martin

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recruiting/2012/07/13/kelan-martin-adds-interest-with-strong-summer/

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/124500/kelan-martin

http://247sports.com/Player/Kelan-Martin-31627

http://kentuckianapreps.com/video-kelan-martin/

https://www.facebook.com/kelan.martin.1

http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/kelan-martin-sf-2014

SLU is mentioned on this website as medium interest:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5076028

http://www.nikeeyb.com/standings/

The St. Louis Eagles team has advanced to the finals (Peach Jam) for Nike Elite Youth Basketball. They're 10-8 overall, but the stats only reflect the first 13 games: http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/St.-Louis.pdf

-Barnett is the leading scorer, with 13.9 PPG.

-Larry Austin, Jr. is second, with 10.2.

-Okwarabizie only played 5 of the first 13 games, averaging 1.4 points in 11.4 minutes.

-Who is recruiting Chaz Glotta (Fort Zumwalt North)? He's third on the team in scoring average. There's an article that says Villanova went to see him in February.

-Ronnie Suggs is also on the squad.

http://www.nikeeyb.com/standings/

The St. Louis Eagles team has advanced to the finals (Peach Jam) for Nike Elite Youth Basketball. They're 10-8 overall, but the stats only reflect the first 13 games: http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/St.-Louis.pdf

-Barnett is the leading scorer, with 13.9 PPG.

-Larry Austin, Jr. is second, with 10.2.

-Okwarabizie only played 5 of the first 13 games, averaging 1.4 points in 11.4 minutes.

-Who is recruiting Chaz Glotta (Fort Zumwalt North)? He's third on the team in scoring average. There's an article that says Villanova went to see him in February.

-Ronnie Suggs is also on the squad.

interesting that only barnett and austin average over half the game in minutes per game. everyone gets their chance.

Hey guys. New to the board, never went to SLU, but a big fan to say the least. Kind of a recruiting junky and saw this...

WillGunter247 William Gunter

'14 PG Jalyn Patterson w/Atl Celtics says he is hearing most from George Mason, St.Louis & Houston lately. http://t.co/jJa11MAX5X

"“I am planning on trying to get out to St. Louis and George Mason and probably Houston,” he said. “I am still thinking about other schools and choosing which schools I would like to visit but those are three that I am definitely hoping to get to.”

Nice! Looking through Google and Twitter, it seems he has some relatively big, at least by conference affiliation, offers. Minnesota and Texas A&M are among the schools I've seen.

Thanks for the new info. Adding him right now.

By the way, these recruiting mixtapes have it all wrong. Coaches don't evaluate players in slow motion. Stop it with the other special effects, too. If it doesn't look good on raw tape, it doesn't matter.

2014 Offer List:

Ore Arogundade: St. Viator, Arlington Heights, IL - SG: 6-3, 180. Offers: SLU, Creighton, SIUC, Murray State, Drake, Santa Clara, Loyola-Chicago, San Jose State, Wright State, Toledo, Northern Illinois, San Francisco, Utah State. Interest: DePaul, Xavier, Temple, LaSalle, Texas Tech, Wichita State, Missouri State, Oregon State. Latest (5/31): Arogundade said Murray State, St. Louis, Santa Clara, and Drake are strong right now. Texas Tech, Xavier, Temple and LaSalle are also looking. Twitter: @OreAro_23

Darius Austin: Cahokia HS, Cahokia, IL - SF: 6-6, 200. Offers: SLU, DePaul, UMKC. Interest: Illinois, Mizzou, Michigan, Xavier, Cincinnati, Iowa, Tennessee. Twitter: @DariusAustin23

Larry Austin, Jr.: Lanphier, Springfield, IL - PG: 6-1, 165. Offers: SLU, Mizzou, Illinois, DePaul, Memphis, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest, Iowa, Bradley, SMU, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interest: Butler, Ohio State, Tennessee, Stanford, Harvard. Twitter: @_LarryAustin2_

Jordan Barnett: CBC, St. Louis, MO - SF: 6-7, 185. Offers: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Purdue, Florida, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Iowa State, Stanford, Harvard. Interest: UNC, SIUC. Latest (5/22): Barnett mentioned that UNC had shown interest and been in contact several times. On 5/22, UNC got a commitment from 5-star SF Theo Pinson, which may lead them to back off Barnett. Previous: SLU and St. Louis Eagles alum Larry Hughes spoke to Barnett's Eagles team after a loss in Dallas on 5/16. Twitter: @JBounce33

Malek Harris: Carl Sandburg, Orland Park, IL - SF: 6-7, 200. Offers: SLU, Marquette, Creighton, DePaul, Mizzou, Iowa, Kansas State, Auburn, Oregon State, Illinois State, Miami-Ohio, Norfolk State. Interest: Illinois, Indiana, Louisville, Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Miami, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Dayton, Providence, Loyola-Chicago, Ball State, UC-Irvine. Latest (5/29): Harris received an offer from Mizzou. Previous: Harris is starting to blow up. Twitter: @24_MoneyTeam_10

J.P. Macura: Lakeville North, Lakeville, MN - SG: 6-5, 185. Offers: SLU, Creighton, Dayton, Kansas State, Drake, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Vermont, South Dakota, South Dakota State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Toledo, Wyoming, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interest: Indiana, Wisconsin, Florida State, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, NC State, Boston College, Providence, Nebraska-Omaha. Latest (5/21): After a number of offers from smaller schools (he must have played in tournaments all over the Great Plains based on his offer list), Macura has had a couple huge AAU tournaments (including the recent adidas VIP Exclusive Run) and is hitting the radar of Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC schools. He has shown a high-level 3-point shooting ability. Twitter: @jpmacura

Logan McLane: Greenfield School, Wilson, NC - PF: 6-8, 210. Offers: SLU, Seton Hall, Miami-Ohio, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Greensboro, Buffalo, Winthrop, Mercer. Latest (5/21): McLane gives some reasons why he likes his current list of offers. Twitter: @LMcLane4

Sean O’Mara: Benet Academy, Lisle, IL - C: 6-9, 240. Offers: SLU, Illinois, DePaul, Marquette, Xavier, Dayton, LaSalle, Boston College, Virginia, Iowa State, Georgia Tech, SIUC, SIUE, Loyola-Chicago, UIC, Oakland, Lehigh, Columbia, Eastern Michigan. Interest: Michigan, Notre Dame, Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern. Latest (5/21): Considered one of the best centers in the Midwest, O'Mara is in the belly of the Big Ten and has their attention. He was dominant in an AAU Tournament in April. Offers are starting to cascade in. Twitter: @S3AN_54

Andre Walker: Bullis School, Clarksville, MD - C: 6-10, 210. Offers: SLU, Xavier, DePaul, Cincinnati, Temple, UMass, George Mason, SMU, Fairfield, Delaware. Interest: VCU, Georgetown, DePaul, Indiana, Kansas, NC State, Maryland, Miami. Latest (5/27): This guy is hard to Google. Xavier recently had a player by the same name, and there's another HS recruit with the same name. He wears rec specs. Twitter: @Andre_Walker21

2014 Interest List:

Marcus Bartley: MacArthur, Decatur, IL - PG: 6-2, 175. Offers: Oklahoma State, SIUC, Bradley, Northwestern, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Tennessee-Martin, Southeastern Louisiana, William & Mary. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Iowa, Georgetown, Harvard, Tennessee. Latest (5/21): Northwestern is recruiting him very hard. Oklahoma State is the biggest program to offer so far but he may be on the cusp of a few more. Twitter: @MB3_Dreamville

Josh Cunningham: Morgan Park, Chicago, IL - SF: 6-7, 195. Offers: Mizzou, Oklahoma, Iowa, DePaul, Nebraska, South Carolina, UMass, Bradley, Northern Illinois. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois State, UIC. Latest (5/21): Cunningham opened some eyes at the recent Nike EYBL in Hampton, Virginia when he filled in for an injured 5-star player. He's said to be a gamer with explosive leaping ability and a nice 3-point stroke. Twitter: @JoshMCunningham

Austin Gillmann: Oakville, Oakville, MO - C: 6-11, 200. Offers: Illinois State. Interest: SLU, Wichita State, Bucknell, Lehigh, Elon. Latest (5/21): Gillmann has already visited SLU this spring (early May). He is a legitimate 6-11, but needs to add serious strength. He was a double-double machine his junior season at Oakville and has played well this spring in AAU ball. Twitter: @AUSTIN__g

Avery Johnson, Jr.: Cooper, The Woodlands, TX - PG: 5-9, 173. Interest: SLU, Baylor, LSU, Rutgers, Santa Clara, Bucknell. Latest (5/31): Johnson will be visiting SLU this weekend. The son of former NBA player and coach Avery Johnson, he recently made headlines when he Tweeted taunts at the Nets after losing to the Bulls in the playoffs (his dad coached the Nets before being fired). He's relatively hard to find on recruiting sites because A) most Google results have to do with that incident, B] there was a recent big-time football recruit named Avery Johnson who went to LSU, and C) there was a recent basketball recruit named Avery Johnson who went to San Francisco. Twitter: @itsaveryjohnson

Kelan Martin: Ballard, Louisville, KY - SF: 6-5, 185. Offers: Providence, New Mexico, Indiana State, Ohio, Western Kentucky, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Mizzou, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, LSU, Boston College. Latest (5/29): Martin has had an impressive spring on the AAU circuit and the offers are starting to roll in.

Mack Mercer: Plymouth, Plymouth, IN - PF: 6-9, 210. Offers: Boston College, Indiana State, Ball State, Kent State, Belmont, Loyola-Chicago, Rice, Vermont. Interest: SLU, Butler, Xavier, Mizzou, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Clemson, Mississippi State, Northwestern. Twitter: @MackMercer

Ikenna Okwarabizie: St. Louis Christian, St. Louis, MO - C: 6-10, 240. Offers: Southern Miss, SIUE. Interest: SLU, Marquette, Oklahoma, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Rice. Latest (5/21): Okwarabizie is just starting to emerge this spring and picked up his first offer from Southern Miss. More will be on the way. Twitter: @iykerulez1

Jalyn Patterson: Montverde Academy, Alpharetta, GA - PG: 5-11, 170. Offers: George Mason, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia State. Interest: SLU, Houston, Tennessee, Florida State, South Carolina, Charleston, Tennessee Tech, Georgia Southern, Kennesaw State. Latest (5/29): Of the three schools recruiting him hardest lately, he says, “I am planning on trying to get out to St. Louis and George Mason and probably Houston,” he said. “I am still thinking about other schools and choosing which schools I would like to visit but those are three that I am definitely hoping to get to.” Twitter: @jalynpatterson

Darreon Reddick: Belleville East, Belleville, IL - SG: 6-3, 200. Offers: DePaul, Valpo, Missouri State, Detroit, Toledo, Indiana State, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Michigan, Xavier, Tennessee, Iowa, SIUC. Latest (5/21): Reddick visited Valpo with C.J. Rivers and both picked up offers. Twitter: @_14Reddick

C.J. Rivers: Cahokia, Cahokia, IL - PG: 6-2, 180. Offers: SIUC, SIUE, Miami-Ohio, Valpo, Toledo, Cornell, Brown, UIC, Wright State, Northern Kentucky. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Mizzou, Xavier, Tennessee, Drake. Latest (5/22): Rivers will visit Drake on June 12. Previous: Rivers visited Valpo with Reddick and both picked up offers. Rivers has visited SLU already. Twitter: @Cj_Rivers05

Zane Waterman: Fayetteville Academy, Fayetteville, NC - PF: 6-8, 205. Offers: St. Joe's, Charlotte, Southern Miss, UNC-Asheville, Appalachian State, Winthrop, Gardner-Webb, Liberty, Manhattan. Interest: SLU, Cincinnati, NC State, Wake Forest, George Mason, East Carolina. Twitter: @Zane_Waterman