Biondi "very positive" regarding Big East

SLUDrew

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-right-man-was-already-coaching-billikens/article_6c60fe0c-7b7e-5a3d-93ff-2da3717741d9.html

I asked Biondi how he felt about SLU’s chances to get an invitation to the new Big East. “Very positive,” he said. Biondi added that he’s been lobbying a few Big East-member university presidents on SLU’s behalf.

Considering how crucial Creighton's relationship with Marquette was in securing the Blow Jays' spot in the newly-formed conference, the significance of the latter part of this article's excerpt cannot be stressed enough. I'm glad Don Biondi is at least acknowledging the importance of lobbying the Big East university presidents by paying it lip service when asked by Bernie, whether or not he actually is lobbying.

I guess we're competing against UR and DU. The biggest advantage SLU has is TV market and is a good stop over for playing CU. UR offers more sports, including men's and women's lacrosse which is big in the east. SVU's biggest advantage is a fanatical fan base and they'll take their RV's anywhere to see the Flyers. They played in the CofC tourney this year and downtown C'ton looked like Flyer nation.

Fr. B's going to have to convince the powers that be, SLU's program will not drop back into mediocrity, read we've increased our budget for hoops. Stress we hired a big name coach in RM, have built a brand new state of the art arena, and bring a Fox rep with him. The Fox rep kicks in with we really want the 21st market in the country, which they do considering the St. L sports they get to promote during Bill's games. Hell, make a commitment to bring back men and women's golf and add women's lacrosse if that's what it takes. The stakes are too big at this point to not get into the Beast.

Being "positive" is nice. Talking to Beast heads is expected in my book. Another non-statement statement. All in all,the contract and the concessions speak a hell of lot louder than any words this guy can come up with.

I guess we're competing against UR and DU. The biggest advantage SLU has is TV market and is a good stop over for playing CU. UR offers more sports, including men's and women's lacrosse which is big in the east. SVU's biggest advantage is a fanatical fan base and they'll take their RV's anywhere to see the Flyers. They played in the CofC tourney this year and downtown C'ton looked like Flyer nation.

Fr. B's going to have to convince the powers that be, SLU's program will not drop back into mediocrity, read we've increased our budget for hoops. Stress we hired a big name coach in RM, have built a brand new state of the art arena, and bring a Fox rep with him. The Fox rep kicks in with we really want the 21st market in the country, which they do considering the St. L sports they get to promote during Bill's games. Hell, make a commitment to bring back men and women's golf and add women's lacrosse if that's what it takes. The stakes are too big at this point to not get into the Beast.

If lacrosse is that damn important, schools can be in the league for that sport only. It happens in other conferences already. This is about basketball and should remain the focus. We are the larger market than Dayyon and Richmond. I think those two are competing for the 12th spot.

Also a big advertiser is pushing for SLU so eventually you would think money talks.

According to Bernie's article this morning. He could have easily given the "we are always looking at ways to best position SLU basketball" answer but he did not.

I take Biondi's quote to be the best thing I have heard regarding SLU and the Big East

I find it very interesting Biondi said this and admitted to lobbying BE presidents. It's a tacit acknowledgment that the A10 is no longer the best place for us. I don't think you say something like that unless you are fairly certain you won't be with the league much longer. Whenever May has been asked about this previously, he has always talked about the "strength of the A10" or how it is a "great home for us" or whatever.

Of course, he might just be an embattled university president searching desperately for something positive and willing to say anything to get it.

I find it very interesting Biondi said this and admitted to lobbying BE presidents. It's a tacit acknowledgment that the A10 is no longer the best place for us. I don't think you say something like that unless you are fairly certain you won't be with the league much longer. Whenever May has been asked about this previously, he has always talked about the "strength of the A10" or how it is a "great home for us" or whatever.

Of course, he might just be an embattled university president searching desperately for something positive and willing to say anything to get it.

If Biondi gets us in the Big East it would be a big feather in his cap and have great PR value, which he desperately needs. He would be seen as a strong leader who accomplishes major things. Sometimes strong leaders hurt people's feelings, but they're too busy kicking ass to care. That s a much better legacy than being seen as the guy that the faculty loved to hate.

I don't think you say something like that unless you are fairly certain you won't be with the league much longer.

You would think that, but see: Mizzou's history with the Big Ten

This thought did cross my mind.

You would think that, but see: Mizzou's history with the Big Ten

There's plenty of recent precedent for this. Cincy and UConn were embarrassed when the ACC passed them over for Louisville. Florida State is still on the fence with the ACC. And the Big 12 has long (by conference realignment standards, anyway) had rumblings of unhappy membership. That's just the way things are today: everyone is looking to jump to greener pastures, and schools are becoming less and less subtle about it.

Time to up the athletic department budget up to the Big East level. So many sports are underfunded at SLU.

Biondi knows how to keep a tight budget but he also knows how to sink some money into investments with good returns like those SLU would see if in the BE conf.

Time to up the athletic department budget up to the Big East level. So many sports are underfunded at SLU.

Biondi knows how to keep a tight budget but he also knows how to sink some money into investments with good returns like those SLU would see if in the BE conf.

Let's be clear, there is only one sport that has a shot of creating a return on its investment (maybe 2), and that return has to cover all of the overhead created by the other sports. i am not advocating cutting any sports, but from a business perspective there is a reason they are underfunded or, put differently, appropriately funded for the financial return they provide.

If we get to the big east they need to be fully funded. That is part of the reason Creighton is in and we are still waiting. While we have made the commitment to men's basketball, there is still very little commitment to any other sport besides maybe soccer. All sports at SLU need to be fully funded to their limits if we are going to the Big East.

If we get to the big east they need to be fully funded. That is part of the reason Creighton is in and we are still waiting. While we have made the commitment to men's basketball, there is still very little commitment to any other sport besides maybe soccer. All sports at SLU need to be fully funded to their limits if we are going to the Big East.

An extra 2-3 million a year from the tv contract alone would make fully funding, whatever that means exactly, a piece of cake.

An extra 2-3 million a year from the tv contract alone would make fully funding, whatever that means exactly, a piece of cake.

As I understand it, a program that is "fully funded" is one that uses the maximum allowed number of scholarships (and possibly other related financial expenditures?) for that sport allowed by the NCAA. Outside of men's and women's basketball, not sure what other sports are fully funded at SLU.

Also a big advertiser is pushing for SLU so eventually you would think money talks.

I would guess this big advertiser sells adult beverages? If they put their ad $$ weight behind SLU, rack 'em, we're in with room to spare.

If what Cheese says has any validity we're in. Fox telling INBEV we really want DU and UR regardless of your ad dollars. Laughable.

I just hope Cheese is right and we've got them behind us.

If what Cheese says has any validity we're in. Fox telling INBEV we really want DU and UR regardless of your ad dollars. Laughable.

Not to be a downer here, but by "big advertiser", is it possible that Cheeseman was merely referring to FOX, which we already thought was the case?

It's more of a company that rents cars than sells beverages that is the lead presser of Fox.

As I understand it, a program that is "fully funded" is one that uses the maximum allowed number of scholarships (and possibly other related financial expenditures?) for that sport allowed by the NCAA. Outside of men's and women's basketball, not sure what other sports are fully funded at SLU.

I don't think there are any others. I'm not sure about men's soccer. Fully funded does not mean that every scholarship athlete has a full ride. Every sport has its equivalency limits.

Fully funded does not mean that every scholarship athlete has a full ride. Every sport has its equivalency limits.

Exactly. I might not have been clear with my previous post.

Fully funded is when a school uses the maximum number of scholarships allowed under the equivalency limits. Almost always there are more athletes on the team than scholarships available, so the number of full scholarships are split into partial scholarships among the team.

If we get to the big east they need to be fully funded. That is part of the reason Creighton is in and we are still waiting.

Do you know this to be a fact or is this your speculation? I would be shocked if we were picked over because we don't fully fund scholarships for women's swimming or track.

Do you know this to be a fact or is this your speculation? I would be shocked if we were picked over because we don't fully fund scholarships for women's swimming or track.

I could see it being used as an argument against us by the member institutions. I don't think Fox gives a crap.