La Salle from the couch in MD ...

Taj79

..... I believe the amount of f-bombs dropped during the course of a game indicates just how they correlate to what's happening on the tube. Yesterday, my son-in-law said all I did was giggle and shout out platitudes in the second half. It was that enjoyable.

The telecast: who the fuok is Dave Kaplan and where the hell did he coach? Kaplan did the color on NBC Sports and I really thought it was a pro-La Salle broadcast. He claims to have known Majerus and even relayed a story where Majerus showed up to his wedding in Maui a few years back. Claims as an assistant, his unnamed team beat Majerus and his Marquette team in Milwaukee way back when. Plus,he never saw a ref make a bad call. Remekun gets blasted on a charge and he wasn't there. On the other end, Brown undercuts Mitchell and the charge call is also correct. Can't have it both ways. Guiy was bad, not as bad as Parris and Wiley but still bad. I'm starting to respect Joe Wolf and Pete Gillen more and more. Do you know how HARD that is?

La Salle was obvious in that they played Philly streetball ---- all one-on-one moves and no defense. Does everybody know that Garland is the third leading high school scorer in Philly history? That means only Kobe and Wilt are ahead of him? Still, he can't really shoot as evidenced by his 0-for-5 from three and 1-of-4 from the stripe. But whoever said Jake couldn't cover him was right on. He's just too fast. There is a kid here in Bal'mer supposedly heading to Seton Hall next year the same way .. Aguille Carr. Let's see how he ends up too. I found it quite funny that Giannini pulled Garland on a number of occasions for his lack of defense,but his bench was so short, he had to put him back in.

This is two years in a row that Ramon Galloway will not want to see Saint Louis in his sleep. Duren is a good point and Mills is adequate as a seventh or eighth player but when Mills is your fifth man, you are hurting. Zack is a stiff but he would have added height and rest minutes as a minimum. And we did not make a star out of Jerrelle Wright.

Garland and Galloway will make great "G's" ----- as in Globetrotters.

The only thing missing yesterday was getting the monkey off Cody's back. I would have preferred he made at least one three or jumper and dispel those shooting woes amassed in Cincy mid-week. I also was worried about JJ's fall (which I believe someone undercut his as well) but am hoping youth and the bye night give him more than enough time to heal.

Evans was a beast but I think he'll be left out of the A10 POY discussions because of an east coast bias. Thursday's NBC Sports game was all Donny Marshall and co-host gushing about how the A10 is all about VCU. In every graphic put up, VCU, who is ranked lower than us and who we destroyed, is put in the #1 spot with us as the two. I understand that if you rank it by overall wins to separate ties but that is misleading and wrong just the same. NBC also listed one of our good wins as beating Gonzaga. Damn! I must've missed that one. I think the POY selection will be Wyatt or Reddic out of VCU. But Dwayne is in beast mode nonetheless.

As for the tournament, not real thrilled to see the winner of Richmond/Charlotte but not that disappointed either. I really don't think there is a cakewalk game --- all the dregs are left at home right now. I'd prefer to see VCU and La Salle take each other on with one going out and I still can't believe we can't beat Temple. I'd like to punk Xavier back for this past week and really would not be thrilled to see Butler a third time if only because of the beating a team three times in one season adage.

Off to Brooklyn come Thursday!

From Wikepedia

Kaplan grew up in Skokie, Illinois and is a graduate of Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota, where he received a bachelor's degree in English.[1][3] He formerly was a basketball coach at Northern Illinois University, and a scout for two NBA teams: the Indiana Pacers and the Seattle SuperSonics.[1] Kaplan worked at Chicago sports radio station WMVP-AM before joining WGN (AM)'s sports staff as a reporter in 1995.[1][3][4]

It seems like some of the media love to talk about St. Louis but when they talk about the A10 as a whole, VCU or Butler always seemed to be ranked ahead of us when we were first in the league. I often feel like St. Louis gets slighted in this East Coast League. Praying we make it into the C7 where we won't get bias because we are located in the midwest.

What do you think the zebras will be like in the A10 Tournament? Yesterday was a better called game for us, but the last two road games were some of the worst called games of the season.

I'm not too worried about Richmond or Charlotte on Friday. Charlotte's stock took a hit as the hard part of their schedule came into play. They played no one in the non-conference schedule and the nobodies of the A10 in the first half. We played in Richmond for that game. I believe on a neutral court we should have no issues.

If you would have asked me yesterday who would have been the next Billiken player to have a great game, I never would have picked Rob Loe. It's amazing to me that on any given night you can have anyone of our players come up big. Most of our guards are hitting their strides and our bigs are rotating who is doing well.

Looking forward to watching some Billiken wins on television in St. Louis next weekend. Here's to hoping for a close to St. Louis second round game.

The couch is comfy. I am old. I do tend to doze off. A call would have been nice and considerate however ..... Thanks almaman. You related to f05? No soup for you.

I also don't understand what the big deal is with Giannini having a PhD and calling the idiot "doctor." He wrote a book with a lead-in by Mike Brey. Meh. The guy does not impress me much as far as a coach is concerned.

His recruits include Galloway, who transferred back to Philly from South Carolina and Garland who did the same from Va Tech. Also last year Earl Pettis from Rutgers. And then he lost big man Aaric Murray. And LaSalle itself is a dump in the dump of north-central Philly.

I didn't think the announcing was that great (and the Gonzaga slip up was bush league telecasting at its best), but Kaplan isn't quite as big of a tool as he seemed (from someone who watches him all the time) and he gave a neutral broadcast in my opinion. He was giving LaSalle credit in the early going because, well, they were outplaying us. In the second half, there was a lot of SLU gushing as we dominated LaSalle.

Guys, they have to give a neutral broadcast. We were the ranked team, at home, favored, on senior day. And as expected we blew LaSalle out. As expected our team, Majerus, our season, our seniors, our court garnered far more attention than LaSalle. I don't see anything wrong with them giving LaSalle credit and trying to maintain some sort of interest in their team as they were probably going to be overshadowed by everything else we had going on (and they were).

You can't just flip out because the announcers weren't SLU homers. This board goes crazy every single game whining about the refs and/or any broadcast that doesn't involve Rammer and a circle jerk about SLU. We got a ton of attention yesterday...do you really think any LaSalle fan watched that broadcast and thought they got a proper due? I doubt it. The entire second half served as a coronation of our team and endless gushing about our seniors, our season, Majerus/Crews and how "LaSalle ran into a better team." It was great. What more did you want?

The telecast: who the fuok is Dave Kaplan and where the hell did he coach? Kaplan did the color on NBC Sports and I really thought it was a pro-La Salle broadcast. He claims to have known Majerus and even relayed a story where Majerus showed up to his wedding in Maui a few years back. Claims as an assistant, his unnamed team beat Majerus and his Marquette team in Milwaukee way back when. Plus,he never saw a ref make a bad call.

Agree, I found this very annoying. Maybe Kaplan is the secret owner of the Washington Post Company, so maybe I should hush.

@jimmy -- not going ballistic over the homerism or lack thereof, just trying to understand Kaplan's upbringing, and what makes him expert enough to commentate on a college basketball game, considering I have never heard of him before. I am guerssing NBC Sports Network is a little shy on announcers rightnow. This reminds of the first time I heard Mark "The Coach" Adams doing radio for a Dayton game. Who the fuok was this guy? Same question here with Kaplan. And he coach Northern Illinois. NORTHERN ILLINOIS? Really. That's all you got? Plus two NBA scouting stints? I think I found out Adams once coached Washington State. Great. Once a coach always a coach? Adams is still an idiot.

So without validation on this Kaplan guy, I'm listening to him agree with every call out there. These are the same refs I'm having a hard time understanding myself so I'm open to some learning and insight here. Okay. We got some common ground here, educate me Mr. Kaplan. And then he was just bad on that end. Homerism I could care less about. And all the NBC broadcast woudl say is former college coach Dave Kaplan. He talked baout his team going into Milwaukee and beating Majerus' Marquette team. I would have liked to know who that was at that time. And no one walks into a head coachign job so he had to do som eother time somewhere else besides Northern Illinois. Just saying --- establish the credentials for me, will ya'.

Kaplan might have been down the street at H&R Block last week, for all I knew. Homerism? Hardly my issue.

I also don't understand what the big deal is with Giannini having a PhD and calling the idiot "doctor." He wrote a book with a lead-in by Mike Brey. Meh. The guy does not impress me much as far as a coach is concerned.

His recruits include Galloway, who transferred back to Philly from South Carolina and Garland who did the same from Va Tech. Also last year Earl Pettis from Rutgers. And then he lost big man Aaric Murray. And LaSalle itself is a dump in the dump of north-central Philly.

Well if Giannini carries the Dr tag around then maybe he should show a little more class when others are present. My 10 month old was in the baby race Saturday and we were waiting in the tunnel to enter the Arena when the half ended. LaSalle came off the court past us and everyone ran past us pretty quietly except Giannini. He was yelling from the time he hit the tunnel with every other word being the F Bomb. Ok for the locker room, but there were at least 6 children not counting the babies seeing and hearing this whole classless scene. My 3 and 5 year olds both asked me why that man was yelling f#### at those boys. The guy doesn't impress me much either taj. Not as a coach or an individual. We were right in front of him and his tirade could have waited 1 minute until they reached the locker room.

@Corner3 --- really?!?!?! Wow! There's a guy who needs to understand his surroundings and situation. And he was only down by two at that point.

Yelling at his guys, you say? I don't know much about the guy but the few times I've seen him, his routine seems to be the same old scowling schtick. He seems always at odds with the referees and does not seem to be much in terms of interacting and coaching up his guys. He was a grad assistant under Lou Henson with Illinois in Kendall Gill's senior year (89) and went to that Final Four with the team. The seven years at Rowan College in NJ where he won a Div III championship and used that to catapult to Maine. Eight years at Maine then on to La Salle. I could see someone coming after thim after this year with La Salle. They'll be in for a big disappointment, IMO.

His book is "Court Sense: Winning Basketball's Mental Game," which he appears not to have read. Having seen his team for a couple years now, it seems a haphazard group of guys who play for him because he has a haphazard style. First noticed it with Murray and Pettis, now Galloway, and here comes Garland.

You'd be better served clamming up and stewing UNTIL you got to the lockerrom. I saw Rick do that at GeeDub the day we scored 20. The exit from the floor at GeeDub makes you come out of the Smith Center game floor at the concession stand for visitors, then down a winding staircase to your lockerrom. Rick just waddled hsi way down that concourse, saying nothing. With so many PC-police out there, Giannini shoudl know better. No excuse.

let's not forget that giannini was the coach recruiting cotto to leave the billikens via erd parties 4 years ago. any coach that would risk ncaa action to recruit a questionable character like cotto was.......well you get my point.

Why would any decent player play for that idiot Giannini? He absolutely berates his players when they come out of the game. Dr. Douchebag!

I thought of the same thing and looked at the roster on where they came from.

Has a lot of transfers: Galloway from So Carolina, Garland from Va Tech, Dunn from Wintrop, Gavin Hunt from Penn, K Lewis from Delaware, etc..

Well if Giannini carries the Dr tag around then maybe he should show a little more class when others are present. My 10 month old was in the baby race Saturday and we were waiting in the tunnel to enter the Arena when the half ended. LaSalle came off the court past us and everyone ran past us pretty quietly except Giannini. He was yelling from the time he hit the tunnel with every other word being the F Bomb. Ok for the locker room, but there were at least 6 children not counting the babies seeing and hearing this whole classless scene. My 3 and 5 year olds both asked me why that man was yelling f#### at those boys. The guy doesn't impress me much either taj. Not as a coach or an individual. We were right in front of him and his tirade could have waited 1 minute until they reached the locker room.

The kids were about to enter the baby race; they should have been prepared for such language.