Recruiting - 2013

OH LORD JESUS IT'S A FIRE. that is not a "squad". that is a SQUIDAD. so much juice lined up right there. next up is a train of those juicefactories wearing children's underwear for sportsbras, lined up for a dunk tank full of astroglide. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

I guess they don't serve chocolate in Oregon. Then again, SLU has been pretty vanilla for a decade, too.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has visited St. Louis and Colorado State within the last week, and will tour K-State this weekend. Lancona’s father told me via text that Lancona will choose between the three programs quickly. “Decision coming ASAP,” he said. “Maybe by Monday.”

Man, I hope Monday is a good day for us. The board really needs it.

Jesperson would be a great addition. 6'6" shooter. Virginia was a good team that was overlooked, extremely slow-tempo, so looking at the stat sheet doesn't tell you much. He was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school, and if Bennett started him that often, then he probably didn't have too many problems with his defense. His position is getting crowded at Virginia, that's my guess to why he left.

I'm not entirely sure how many KSU schollies are left. Does anyone know? But I do know that Orris (frosh pg) and Angel Rodriguez (pg) left KSU and they are needing solid guards, so Justin Edwards might see a lot of potential there (BCS, minutes, etc).

Jesperson would be a great addition. 6'6" shooter. Virginia was a good team that was overlooked, extremely slow-tempo, so looking at the stat sheet doesn't tell you much. He was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school, and if Bennett started him that often, then he probably didn't have too many problems with his defense. His position is getting crowded at Virginia, that's my guess to why he left.

I'm not entirely sure how many KSU schollies are left. Does anyone know? But I do know that Orris (frosh pg) and Angel Rodriguez (pg) left KSU and they are needing solid guards, so Justin Edwards might see a lot of potential there (BCS, minutes, etc).

I added this to today's recruiting summary on the previous page:

Paul Jesperson, SG: 6-6, 197, Virginia. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU and Northern Iowa. Decided to transfer despite starting 33 of 35 games, likely because two transfers become eligible this season and he stood to lose minutes. I'm not sure how SLU is on his radar, but he did play for Brad Soderberg's brother Kurt in high school - Merrill, Wisconsin, where he was the Gatorade Player of the Year for the state. Good scouting report is in this article (summary: disappointing statistical production, but a 'hustle' and 'glue' guy). Jesperson averaged 25 MPG, 4.7 PPG, and 2.2 RPG on 36% shooting (33% from 3, where he's supposed to shine).

He's intriguing.

Bweix confirmed what we anticipated. Onwuasor's final 3 are slu, Miami and Pitt

I was afraid one of the "interest" schools would pop up in the top three after Seton Hall and Utah filled up their scholarships. No word on a visit (or even an official offer, though there must be one) yet.

Paul Jesperson, SG: 6-6, 197, Virginia. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU and Northern Iowa. Decided to transfer despite starting 33 of 35 games, likely because two transfers become eligible this season and he stood to lose minutes. I'm not sure how SLU is on his radar, but he did play for Brad Soderberg's brother Kurt in high school - Merrill, Wisconsin, where he was the Gatorade Player of the Year for the state. Good scouting report is in this article (summary: disappointing statistical production, but a 'hustle' and 'glue' guy). Jesperson averaged 25 MPG, 4.7 PPG, and 2.2 RPG on 36% shooting (33% from 3, where he's supposed to shine).

He's intriguing.

Tanner is from Wisconsin. Lock him up, Tanner!

Tanner is from Wisconsin. Lock him up, Tanner!

Good point. So is Jake Barnett. I wonder if they know each other. Transfers often end up with their list through guys they know. Gary Buchanan told Reggie Bryant to look at SLU.

I was afraid one of the "interest" schools would pop up in the top three after Seton Hall and Utah filled up their scholarships. No word on a visit (or even an official offer, though there must be one) yet.

Onwuasor also tweeted out a new highlight tape. I really want this guy to come to SLU. A 6'3 PG would be so nice. Plus he dunks. Hard.

Onwuasor has an impressive frame. Very high-level potential with his skill set. I have no clue how he has flown so far under the radar until recently.

Randy O. and Lancona remain my ideal duo for the last two spots, but the good news is that so many intriguing transfers are mentioning us as a potential destination. It's great to see that we're legitimately in the mix for guys like Yacoubou, Jesperson, and Edwards.

Onwuasor has an impressive frame. Very high-level potential with his skill set. I have no clue how he has flown so far under the radar until recently.

Randy O. and Lancona remain my ideal duo for the last two spots, but the good news is that so many intriguing transfers are mentioning us as a potential destination. It's great to see that we're legitimately in the mix for guys like Yacoubou, Jesperson, and Edwards.

Agreed. I love to see SLU involved with this many players. The staff is really getting after it.

(It's Friday afternoon. I'd rather talk about SLU basketball than work)

Agreed. I love to see SLU involved with this many players. The staff is really getting after it.

(It's Friday afternoon. I'd rather talk about SLU basketball than work)

i suspect we have always been involved with "this many players" when recruiting. it is just that this staff apparently isnt afraid to let word out. both soderberg and rickma (about the only thing they had in common) seemed to think it was a matter of national security. it didnt help that we had no "contacts" to find out in a round about way. well unless you wanted to pay for the subscription.

i suspect we have always been involved with "this many players" when recruiting. it is just that this staff apparently isnt afraid to let word out. both soderberg and rickma (about the only thing they had in common) seemed to think it was a matter of national security. it didnt help that we had no "contacts" to find out in a round about way. well unless you wanted to pay for the subscription.

There are way more factors than that.

Soderberg played it close to the vest but I'm not sure he was ever in on this many names - particularly this many high-level names against BCS-conference programs - in the spring. His first year, when he had to scramble a class together of all spring recruits, was the exception. Soderberg hated any information of any kind about the program leaking.

Majerus didn't even know how to use a computer and also didn't like the pace of information these days. He wasn't texting anyone. He preferred simple, face-to-face contact and getting to know guys and their families. And he didn't like anyone else to know who he was on.

We have more information than ever, no matter how quiet coaching staffs are about it. The difference now is that 80% of these kids are on Twitter, Facebook, etc. and love to talk about themselves. There are more recruiting websites than ever. There are more (and better) news aggregators than ever before. Crews and his staff might very well want this all to go under the radar. It isn't up to them anymore.

Please don't turn this into another argument about differences in coaching styles. The only thing we can say for sure is that the assistants in this Crews staff are very, very active this spring and attracting the attention of solid recruits coast to coast.

He's intriguing.

Uh oh, big red flag. Soderberg's brother? You can bet he's not endorsing SLU.