Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the opinion that you cannot have too many PGs. Just look how quickly we went from stacked to depleted at the PG position last fall.

In a perfect world we could get Onwuasor and Djambo, but I'd have no problem with Strawberry plus one or the other (with Onwuasor being the top priority over Djambo).

We NEED point guards. It doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you don't have someone to run the offense, you're an inherently flawed team.

agreed...b!itches on this board are obsessed with bigs but college ball is a guards game

Three with the Yankees at the end of his career.

that explains it. i pretty much look at that the same as saying that all these marine parasites are WORLD FAMOUS SEA WORLD PERFORMERS! because they hang out on the underside of Shamu's dick. fuok the yankees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PgpbcLsiU

i dont think this spring period considering we already have two recruits signed is all that big of a hand wringing event considering we have a very good strarting five returning. if we were looking to fill major pt spots, i would be concerned.

now replacing our very good seniors to be next year, that is huge.

so if a scholarship or two goes unused, well i would rather see that then just give them away to be filling spots on the roster.

I'd personally like Jett and McCall to train their replacements, rather than enduring another year of freshmen point guard growing pains in 2014-15 (which could very well be our first year in the NBE).

i would want our coaches to train our players. if not, then they arent very good coaches.

plus, it would seem to me the question is do you want to get in with lesser quality now or possibly do better qualitywise over the summer and this coming fall?

give me the superior talent.

i would want our coaches to train our players. if not, then they arent very good coaches.

plus, it would seem to me the question is do you want to get in with lesser quality now or possibly do better qualitywise over the summer and this coming fall?

Completely agree. Don't use a scholarship just to use it

Completely agree. Don't use a scholarship just to use it

Disagree. SLU is going to need bodies. If a big 2014 recruit wants to come to SLU, I'm sure a spot will be open. But if you don't sign someone now, and strike out in 2014, then you're in real trouble.

Djambo is our top priority because he at minimum would be in our rotation and could possibly even start. I agree with roy, that if there is not a good guard, don't force it. That's the beauty of having a deep roster.

We're going to be good next year without Djambo. The year we'd really need Djambo is 2014-15...and if I'm reading you correctly, you're fine with having McBroom and incoming freshman as the only PG options?

How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?

I don't care what sport, at any level, incoming freshmen benefit from practicing with/against good upperclassmen players.

They are going to have at least 5 scholarships to offer next year.

PG is the most critical element in college basketball (like an offensive line in football, a starting rotation in baseball, or a goalie in hockey). You can have talent at other positions, but it all comes crashing down if you don't have the singular critical element.

You don't need a star, but you need someone who is minimally competent, and some level of experience.

If Jordan Strawberry is nothing more than a backup PG his entire career, he will still be a valuable asset.

We're going to be good next year without Djambo. The year we'd really need Djambo is 2014-15...and if I'm reading you correctly, you're fine with having McBroom and incoming freshman as the only PG options?

I don't care what sport, at any level, incoming freshmen benefit from practicing with/against good upperclassmen players.

PG is the most critical element in college basketball (like an offensive line in football, a starting rotation in baseball, or a goalie in hockey). You can have talent at other positions, but it all comes crashing down if you don't have the singular critical element.

You don't need a star, but you need someone who is minimally competent, and some level of experience.

If Jordan Strawberry is nothing more than a backup PG his entire career, he will still be a valuable asset.

Completely agree

If Djambo waits until after he visits us to sign we ought to have a good chance of getting him. He has us scheduled as his last visit. If he visits, that means no one else overwhelmed him. Remember RA had other visits planned, but liked us so much he commited and cancelled his remaining visits. If we get him on campus, we've got a decent shot.

The Point Guard thing in college basketball is 100% accurate. Look at Butler for an example. Gotta have a PG to win, period.

No one is arguing that a point guard is not essential to having a successful team, but there is no point in having one that might be in over his head. I am not saying that Strawberry would be but there are many reports that suggest he is a borderline D1 talent

I certainly understand the importance of having good point guards. This is where the Carter departure hurts. Ideally, I would want to add another guard to develop out of this spring class. RO, AY, Saintil - all would be fine by me. My only point is don't just take somebody unless you think they can be very good. Don't lower your standards. If Strawberry is a career back-up, then I don't think that is good. If he is a 20+ minute "backup" like Jordair, well that's a different story.

Even with Agbeko, I think we need Djambo next year to give us a little bit of that Cody element. While we are all excited about Agbeko, realistically I don't expect him to come in and make a huge impact his first year. I think Djambo could give us some frontline scoring.

If your pg is not fast then he will have trouble defending, handling the press, and making plays on offense - that was the beauty of MM and KM and JJ. A pg being described as slow scares me. For those of you saying hold a schollie out if you can not get who you really want - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We do have 5 to give next year but if we end up having to give 6 or 7 then it complicates things and makes it harder to actually sign all that we have open - we need to fill out our class in the fall with quality so we do not have to be playing catch up with the next year's class, a problem that BS always had. Ground Hog day - all I am saying lets not count our chickens before they hatch. I know the coaches are recruiting hard but if we do not get guys who can play this spring (perhaps not big minutes next year but need to be water carriers the next) this program will be in trouble. For those who think there is nothing to worry about - I hope so. I prefer to be prepared for the worse - like the say hope for the best but plan for the worse. OK no more cliches.

If your pg is not fast then he will have trouble defending, handling the press, and making plays on offense - that was the beauty of MM and KM and JJ. A pg being described as slow scares me. For those of you saying hold a schollie out if you can not get who you really want - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We do have 5 to give next year but if we end up having to give 6 or 7 then it complicates things and makes it harder to actually sign all that we have open - we need to fill out our class in the fall with quality so we do not have to be playing catch up with the next year's class, a problem that BS always had. Ground Hog day - all I am saying lets not count our chickens before they hatch. I know the coaches are recruiting hard but if we do not get guys who can play this spring (perhaps not big minutes next year but need to be water carriers the next) this program will be in trouble. For those who think there is nothing to worry about - I hope so. I prefer to be prepared for the worse - like the say hope for the best but plan for the worse. OK no more cliches.

you gotta remember that coming out of HS the scouting report mainly talked about how JJ was not very quick. not saying I dont care nor am I comparing but theres many other things im looking at other than speed.

“I have interest from Virginia Tech, Arizona, Gonzaga, Florida State and California,” he said. “Some of these schools are close to offering.”- Jordan [/size]Strawberry

Gotta give the kid credit for being a good salesman if nothing else. Those are some nice names to be recruiting against.