Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Groundhog day is waiting until it's too late, signing, and then heaping ridiculous amounts of praise on the Horace Dixons of the world and saving scholarships ad nauseum. It's really WAY too early to compare Crews to Brad, and I wanted a different coach to begin with.......

Name 5 recruits in the last twenty years who chose SLU over real offers from the ACC.......

Groundhog day is waiting until it's too late, signing, and then heaping ridiculous amounts of praise on the Horace Dixons of the world and saving scholarships ad nauseum. It's really WAY too early to compare Crews to Brad, and I wanted a different coach to begin with.......

Name 5 recruits in the last ten years who chose SLU over real offers from the ACC.......

I can name two - Cody had an offer from Wake Forest and Rob from Georgia Tech. Where our program is now, I would like to think that beating a low level ACC program for a recruit is not impossible. It's not a rip on Crews, I just that think too many people are content with always mining for diamonds in the rough. RM was a master at it, but even he didn't always hit the mark. At some point, as we have more success, you have to start landing some recruits that our more highly rated and more of sure things. Maybe we did that with Agbeko and I understand that the ratings are an inexact science and don't guarantee success in college. Over the last several years, I have seen Xavier listed with a bunch of top 150 recruits and they have landed their share. They have had more sustained success as a program so it is understandable, but we need to get to that level of recruiting. I don't think that is an unrealistic expectation.

DREW, MCBROOM, CRAWFORD, AGBEKO will make quite an impact on next years squad; I don't see anything wrong with taking

Jolly as long as he redshirts. We all know CR and JM would have benefitted from a redshirt year

I am wondering what Djambo thought about his opportunity at SLU. He looks at our starters and sees Dwayne Evans returning and Rob Loe returning and Grandy Glaze returning. He sees a 6'11" John Manning who will be here two more years (as will Randy) and we just signed Agbeko who looks to be a immediate contributor (not a starter necessarily). Yes, Cody is gone, but he seems to be a very different player than Djambo and Cory is gone, but Cory barely played.

I don't know enough about Clemson's situation, but if I was an independent person advising Djambo, I would have told him to think hard about SLU given his opportunity here. If he was coming in as a freshman, then completely different situation, but coming in as a junior it isn't a slam dunk that he starts or even plays big minutes. Plus add in the academic stuff and I just wonder if he chose a better opportunity for him as opposed to the better program.

I think drew will be the most surprising.

DREW, MCBROOM, CRAWFORD, AGBEKO will make quite an impact on next years squad; I don't see anything wrong with taking

Jolly as long as he redshirts. We all know CR and JM would have benefitted from a redshirt year

I am wondering what Djambo thought about his opportunity at SLU. He looks at our starters and sees Dwayne Evans returning and Rob Loe returning and Grandy Glaze returning. He sees a 6'11" John Manning who will be here two more years (as will Randy) and we just signed Agbeko who looks to be a immediate contributor (not a starter necessarily). Yes, Cody is gone, but he seems to be a very different player than Djambo and Cory is gone, but Cory barely played.

I don't know enough about Clemson's situation, but if I was an independent person advising Djambo, I would have told him to think hard about SLU given his opportunity here. If he was coming in as a freshman, then completely different situation, but coming in as a junior it isn't a slam dunk that he starts or even plays big minutes. Plus add in the academic stuff and I just wonder if he chose a better opportunity for him as opposed to the better program.

Great points, AF.

If I was SLU, I would have sold him on being a bit like Cody in our offense. Reportedly he could hit 3s, probably not as well as Cody, but at least a threat. And without seeing him play, he perhaps could have done a little more damage inside than Cody. Probably nowhere near as good at taking charges, but probably a better shotblocker and rebounder, although at 205, physically weaker. He definitely would have filled a role. If we landed this kid, the board would have been giddy. Funny how some people become ho-hum when we don't. Also reportedly he is a good student.

If I was SLU, I would have sold him on being a bit like Cody in our offense. Reportedly he could hit 3s, probably not as well as Cody, but at least a threat. And without seeing him play, he perhaps could have done a little more damage inside than Cody. Probably nowhere near as good at taking charges, but probably a better shotblocker and rebounder, although at 205, physically weaker. He definitely would have filled a role. If we landed this kid, the board would have been giddy. Funny how some people become ho-hum when we don't. Also reportedly he is a good student.

Two things: 1) Even Visa isn't as good as taking charges as Cody was. 2) I'm not saying that I would not have liked to have Djambo join SLU; I'm just wondering if when he looked at this situation here versus at Clemson he thought he would be more likely to play right away at Clemson. If so, maybe, for him, he made the right choice.

If Crews did anything best of all was his ability to get 8-9 players involved in the rotation; once in awhile he would lose

someone for a while but there was very little doghouse mentality with this coaching staff and anyone who was scrappy

got a chance to play. JM was getting his chance until he got hurt and we will no doubt see a lot more of his ability this year. JM runs the floor well and a big must in our system. Maybe Djambo wanted to play a zone and half court style-I'm not sure what Clemson plays I don't think they made it to post season.

Really skip?!?!? You want to compare UK to SLU? We've had one five-star recruit in our history and he was indeed pretty good. Kentucky gets five star recruits every year -- multiple times over. If you think you can compare our recruits to them, keep drinking. And I'm not talking blue Kool-Aid here, go for a single malt beverage from the Highlands.

Now do I think collectively they will all be five star results? No. And no, I can't grade the UK recruiting class just yet until I see what they're results actually are. But I suspect they will be more likely more successful than our guys. Will that last over time? Who knows; there's the grade. Was Davis a bust? No. Kidd-Gilchrist? No. Noel? Sure he got hurt but he was more blah-blah than anything else to me, I was/am not impressed. He has had no track record. Anybody wanting to take him #1 in the draft coming off a knee injury, go ahead. And I'm sure the fools will; they always do.

What we reaped these last two years were the results of seeds sown in 2007 and 2008. Success was five years in the making. Maybe that's why coaches sign five-year deals ala Crews, ala Majerus. You would not have given Majerus a final grade back then would you; if not, then how can you give one to Crews now? Based on what evidence? Press clippings? Who said "everyone looks good on their youtube clips?" No shite Sherlock.

I like what appears to be good to better recruits in Crawford and Agbeko. That opinion and a dollar still gets me a cup of coffee at McDonald's. We have history that tells us not to drink the Kool-Aid on Ikeafor, Dixon, Polk, Clarke, Johnson, Varner, Newbourne and others. All I'm saying is we do not have data on the current guys. Youhave to give it time. I remember when Kelvin Henderson came in. It was a different time an dno one said much back then and he's oneof my all-time greatest Bills. So too David Burns.

While I'm not sure this is or will be Ground Hog Day, I will say if we get to the Fall signing period and we ink no one, then it's don't look now but ...... objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are. The pilot test for this is going to run a lot longer than the usual ten-second sound bite mentality. larry 72 or anyone else sitting down in Florida giving out grades is ludicrous.

Comparing anything UK basketball to us is ridiculous. We're hoping to get to Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier levels. Get real.

The relativity that a guy is good to great is directly reflected in our perceived chances of us signing him and the inverse is also true. I would suspect that kind of mentality exists on every board everywhere. Rationalization is a birthright, is it not?

Name 5 recruits in the last twenty years who chose SLU over real offers from the ACC.......

Actually it is in reference to the movie - were the guy keeps reliving the same day over and over trying to get it right.

Fair point

with the "Recruits" thread heading toward breaking the 70K mark in hits in a few minutes . . . . just out of sheer curiosity and possibly ennui: is that the longest thread in Billikens.com history??

Assuming it is: does that make the recruiting efforst/prospects of the Crews regime the hottest watched and followed topic in Billiken basketball history?? no pressure or anything . . . .

if you are considering Jordair a small guard then you are a lunatic

until he grows another few inches he will remain a power forward trapped in a small guards body. His strength is rather insane but all that doesn't change the fact at the end of the night hes still 6'1. and by small obviously thats a large gap, but up to 6'2ish is a small guard. then you got big guard the likes of 6'6 JB and 6'5 crawford.

until he grows another few inches he will remain a power forward trapped in a small guards body. His strength is rather insane but all that doesn't change the fact at the end of the night hes still 6'1. and by small obviously thats a large gap, but up to 6'2ish is a small guard. then you got big guard the likes of 6'6 JB and 6'5 crawford.

i'll take a power forward that shoots 51% from the field and 33% from three. i loved CE, but those numbers are a hell of a lot better than his were.

What is Drew's natural position? (Easy Jimbo). What is he projected to play for the Bills?

this is what I was thinking, when I watch his shootaround he can seem to score from every where(but that doesnt mean sheit when it comes to game flow). I think we will get a better feel when we see if he can shoot well in the game. I guess he will be the typical 3, so shooting guard whos also a SF..

beyond evans, any recruit that backs off because of the competition from our existing bigs, isnt worthy even if he is a juco looking for immediate promises due to only two more years. i suspect the guy was influenced by something other than that.

Really skip?!?!? You want to compare UK to SLU? We've had one five-star recruit in our history and he was indeed pretty good. Kentucky gets five star recruits every year -- multiple times over. If you think you can compare our recruits to them, keep drinking. And I'm not talking blue Kool-Aid here, go for a single malt beverage from the Highlands.

Now do I think collectively they will all be five star results? No. And no, I can't grade the UK recruiting class just yet until I see what they're results actually are. But I suspect they will be more likely more successful than our guys. Will that last over time? Who knows; there's the grade. Was Davis a bust? No. Kidd-Gilchrist? No. Noel? Sure he got hurt but he was more blah-blah than anything else to me, I was/am not impressed. He has had no track record. Anybody wanting to take him #1 in the draft coming off a knee injury, go ahead. And I'm sure the fools will; they always do.

What we reaped these last two years were the results of seeds sown in 2007 and 2008. Success was five years in the making. Maybe that's why coaches sign five-year deals ala Crews, ala Majerus. You would not have given Majerus a final grade back then would you; if not, then how can you give one to Crews now? Based on what evidence? Press clippings? Who said "everyone looks good on their youtube clips?" No shite Sherlock.

I like what appears to be good to better recruits in Crawford and Agbeko. That opinion and a dollar still gets me a cup of coffee at McDonald's. We have history that tells us not to drink the Kool-Aid on Ikeafor, Dixon, Polk, Clarke, Johnson, Varner, Newbourne and others. All I'm saying is we do not have data on the current guys. Youhave to give it time. I remember when Kelvin Henderson came in. It was a different time an dno one said much back then and he's oneof my all-time greatest Bills. So too David Burns.

While I'm not sure this is or will be Ground Hog Day, I will say if we get to the Fall signing period and we ink no one, then it's don't look now but ...... objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are. The pilot test for this is going to run a lot longer than the usual ten-second sound bite mentality. larry 72 or anyone else sitting down in Florida giving out grades is ludicrous.

Comparing anything UK basketball to us is ridiculous. We're hoping to get to Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier levels. Get real.

Did I comnpare our recruits to Ky? Nope

I was talking about the idea that you can't grade the recruits until you've seen them play for a couple years. Well of course that's true. However, when you grade recruiting at the time they are signed you can only go by what you believe they will be. If you aren't willing to consider or have an opinion on what they could be, what's the use of having a discussion at all. Couldn't the Southlake recruit Jolly be better than RA? Why would we prefer RA over Jolly, or Onawasor over Strawberry? Hell neither of them have played a minute of college ball, so how can any opinion be valid?

i'll take a power forward that shoots 51% from the field and 33% from three. i loved CE, but those numbers are a hell of a lot better than his were.

Yep. Didn't realize CE only hit 33% from 3 point range (not bad) and only 33% from the field (not good). For as many 3 pointers we shot, we really weren't that efficient (34% or 168th nationally). Hopefully, Crawford and McBroom (together with MM and an improved JB) can get us closer to the 36-40% range on 3 pointers.