Sounds like Crews has the job

HenryB

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we can question Crew's recruiting based on his time as interim head coach. If anything, it seems he did a pretty good job if he was able to get a decent guard to commit to a team that has no coach and barely any tradition of winning.

At this point, I think hiring Jim to a 5 year contract and grooming an up and coming recruiter for the long term is the way to go. We still have a number of players on the team returning the next couple years and I'd like to keep the "Majerus way" in tact. Maybe Crew and the players can continue what he started to where it becomes our identity long term.

The title of this thread is misleading - that is not the vibe I'm getting from Bernie. I think his message is more enjoy the season and let things play out.

Making our second NCAA appearance in a row, plus hopefully getting some good news on Tuesday will get a long way in helping with recruiting regardless of who the gets the head coaching job. There will be plenty of opportunities to still get some quality recruits this spring.

Probably should have searched his salary before posting, dont think slu will be paying the $18.25 over 4 years that the Lakers signed him too. So what are the other options out there?

Brad Soderberg and VTime are my top choices

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="348022" data-time="1362168943"><p>

Crews has done a very good job managing rickma's team. Other than the carter thing nothing has gone wrong. He has managed to cover the teams weaknesses and has won games i didnt give a chance in hell of winning. That said, unless a couple of recruiting stud assts are also announced at the same time a crews permanent head coaching job is announced, i am convinced he is the wrong guy. <br />

<br />

For now bernie stay out of it and lets enjoy the rest of the season</p></blockquote>.

Hmm? For years we hear how Saint Louis U gets no media love, no sports talk air time, no PD coverage. Now when the top sports guy in St. Louis gives an opinion some(many when it comes to boarders) dont like he is told to stay out of it.

We can't have it both ways.

Roy I appologize if I read the last line of your statement the wrong way.

All we need to do is make a deep run in the tournament, and the recruiting will take care of itself. Guys will see the team identity and want to be a part of this group.

I wouldn't worry about Carter. It seems to me like he was a problem waiting to happen. At games I thought he appeared cocky like he felt he was better than everyone. I mean he ended up at Valpo. If he was as good as he thought he was, then why did he end up there? Maybe he'll get his way there.

IF Crews continues to coach well and this team wins a number of games in the NCAA, that will aid recruiting. Becareful what you wish for, taking a hot assistant recruiter may mean we end up with a Quinn Snyder, or losing to Norfolk state in the first game of the tourney.

You know what really, really helps recruiting? Being nationally ranked and going to the NCAA tournament as a decent seed. You know what further helps recruiting? Being in a decent conference. You know what also helps? Having a head coach that is in the National Coach of the Year conversation.

Right now, all of the positive media attention that SLU, and Crews, has received for this season is going to help sell the program to future recruits. The (hopefully!) positive news coming Tuesday on SLU and the new Big East will sell it even more. If Crews wins National Coach of the Year, or is a finalist, I just don't see any way that SLU can replace him. It would seem the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot at this point.

You know what really, really helps recruiting? Being nationally ranked and going to the NCAA tournament as a decent seed. You know what further helps recruiting? Being in a decent conference. You know what also helps? Having a head coach that is in the National Coach of the Year conversation.

Right now, all of the positive media attention that SLU, and Crews, has received for this season is going to help sell the program to future recruits. The (hopefully!) positive news coming Tuesday on SLU and the new Big East will sell it even more. If Crews wins National Coach of the Year, or is a finalist, I just don't see any way that SLU can replace him. It would seem the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot at this point.

Did I just agree with everything Bizzle said? Wow, I did.

+100

It's not like Jim Crews couldn't recruit at Evansville either. He got some talented players to roll up their sleeves and go to work.

Here's what JC has to work with at SLU that he didn't have at UE:

1. Money, a.k.a. Dick Chaifetz

2. Facilities, a.k.a. The 'Fetz

3. St. Louis > Evansville

4. Academic prestige of the U

5. National rankings/standings

6. Media presence/market

He's our Purple Ace in the hole.

Face it the biggest thing SLU will have to sell is that we're in the new conference. TV is the reason, "your parents, friends, family, girlfriends, and HS fans will see you on TV every game playing against the likes of GU, MU, Nova, Butler, X, etc." I have no objections to hiring JC. He's done a great job in a very difficult situation. If you figure RM's loss was at least worth losing two starters to injuries. a fantastic job. He's done it all by wielding an even hand and keeping everyone's emotions in check. Just don't go cheap on a super used car salesman AC, and we'll be fine. And what proof do we have he can't recruit? Hell, he may go into Indiana with Booby's cell phone # in his pocket and have Booby sell the recruit for us.

I'd like to think so but until we start seeing some commitments, consider me worried.

We're losing Ellis, Remekun, and Mitchell. We've already lost Carter.

We've signed Mike Crawford.

I'm not totally worried for next season because I figure the minutes left by Ellis, Mitchell, and Remekun will be filled by McBroom, Crawford, and Manning, more or less. But next year Evans, Jett, McCall, Barnett, and Loe are seniors. That's 9 scholarships to fill in 2 seasons and we've basically filled 2.

I sure hope there are a lot of HS studs out there chomping at the bit to become Billikens and I just don't know about it; I just haven't seen any sign of it yet and fear we might have a couple lean years starting in 2014-2015.

Don't forget Drew.

I don't get people holding the lack of current recruits against Crews. Cal would have trouble landing recruits with an interim tag.

What I do like is the staff is still hitting the trail hard even with not knowing if they will be here next year. They are hitting the pavement harder locally than at anytime under Rick.

I don't get people holding the lack of current recruits against Crews. Cal would have trouble landing recruits with an interim tag.

What I do like is the staff is still hitting the trail hard even with not knowing if they will be here next year. They are hitting the pavement harder locally than at anytime under Rick.

Calipari has help from his buddy Benjamin Franklin

Bingo. People on this board have far more perspective regarding this team than the johnny-come-lately media members who haven't paid attention over the past 10 years (hell, even the past 2 years).

Crews has done a great job with this squad getting them to play hard, smart, and fast, but what many outsiders do not seem to get is that this squad was supposed to be very good. Even after Majerus' absence, we were picked as a preseason top 25 by ESPN and tabbed second in the A-10 by the coaches and writers.

I'm not convinced like Roy that Crews is all wrong. He could be great, but his ability/desire to recruit is a big question mark, so I'm hopeful that the hiring will happen because people truly think he can get the job done going forward, not because he "deserves it." If that means hiring a hot-shot assistant, so be it.

The only problem with hotshot assistants is that if they have the success we want them to have they get gobbled up by schools willing to pay what we wont and the process starts all over again. If there is a hire to be made then someone needs to pony up the 3 mil a year and get some long term stability. Otherwise SLU will either be a groomer for the big boys or a home for basketball coaching mediocrity.

Recruiting will not just take care of itself with a little tourney suceess as Spoon and Romar proved here. Do you think Crews is a better recruiter than LoRo?

I don't think he could be worse at finding the right targets for SLU than Romar was and I am a Romar fan. He just didn't seem to do a good job at deciding on the proper people to target. Spent a lot of time on kids we were never going to land.

I don't think he could be worse at finding the right targets for SLU than Romar was and I am a Romar fan. He just didn't seem to do a good job at deciding on the proper people to target. Spent a lot of time on kids we were never going to land.

That's the rub isn't it though? Rick could find unheralded kids to fit his system. Can Crews? I don't know. He's a long shot though in my opinion....

The big knock on JC from the board seems to recruiting.

It also seems that most are hoping for a hotshot assistant.

My queation is how do we know a young assistant can recruit better than Crews?

Ill be happy with Crews but Ill.also be happy if they go.another direction.

The boards knowledge of Crews as a recruiter is the same as it is for an "up and comer."

Fuock everyone on this board who doesn't want Crews as HC. When did you all get saddled up on your high horse. This program F-ing sucked for a long time. and when the program didn't suck it was a flash in the pan. all this talk about 'does Marquette think this is the 80s'..... Do you guys think this is heaven???? I for one think this breath from purgatory is spectacular. wahhh wahhh national coach of the year im too good for it..... sit on your f-ing hands during the game some more.

Fuock everyone on this board who doesn't want Crews as HC. When did you all get saddled up on your high horse. This program F-ing sucked for a long time. and when the program didn't suck it was a flash in the pan. all this talk about 'does Marquette think this is the 80s'..... Do you guys think this is heaven???? I for one think this breath from purgatory is spectacular. wahhh wahhh national coach of the year im too good for it..... sit on your f-ing hands during the game some more.

OK dude. Suppose. Just suppose someone gave you the keys to a Ferrari and told you to race a bunch of Pontiac Sunfires......

Face it the biggest thing SLU will have to sell is that we're in the new conference. TV is the reason, "your parents, friends, family, girlfriends, and HS fans will see you on TV every game playing against the likes of GU, MU, Nova, Butler, X, etc." I have no objections to hiring JC. He's done a great job in a very difficult situation. If you figure RM's loss was at least worth losing two starters to injuries. a fantastic job. He's done it all by wielding an even hand and keeping everyone's emotions in check. Just don't go cheap on a super used car salesman AC, and we'll be fine. And what proof do we have he can't recruit? Hell, he may go into Indiana with Booby's cell phone # in his pocket and have Booby sell the recruit for us.

Agree. It is the conference that will make or break us in this situation.

Majerus was an incredible, superior recruiter to be able to get the kids he got like BC to come all the way to SLU to play in the A-10 / mid major conference, with it's terrible TV exposure, and having so many weak teams.

If we get in the C7+, recruiting will be SO much easier. So Crews could be the answer.

I still would wonder if we could get a younger hot shot successful head coach from a small school (Lehigh guy?) or a golden boy assistant from a big name school who could come here and coach and recruit aggressively. It depends.

Majerus hand picked this guy...........

OK dude. Suppose. Just suppose someone gave you the keys to a Ferrari and told you to race a bunch of Pontiac Sunfires......

THIS PROGRAM WAS DEAD IN THE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 06-07 YOU WOULD HAVE KILLED FOR A JIM CREWS. everyone needs to stop acting like they are so above him. imagine this job interview:

1. coach dies

2. star gets hurt

3. lose to mediocre teams to start season....

go to work. see what you can do

...... he gets the job bud

Majerus was a superior recruiter to get the kids he got like BC to come all the way to SLU to play in the A-10 - mid major conference, no TV exposure, with so many weak teams.

Majerus made BC. WE WERE A WEAK TEAM