Lunardi says the Bills can be a 4 seed

The Wiz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get why the pundits say we top out at a 4 but damn... If we somehow win out and then win the tourney how are we not up in the 3 zone. We would have to beat X on the road, beat Lasalle here and then beat two more top 35 RPI teams in the tourney. I think that would put us in the top 10 and why not a 3 seed. Im not saying it would be easy but if we are 29-5 and win the regular season championship and tourney in the third or fourth best league... how are we not a three???

not sure why a 4.. if we win out & win the a1o tourney... #2 seems more reasonable considering the competitiveness of the a10.

Had RI never happened I'd say we were aiming at a realistic chance of 2-3 but since we gotta count that game, our aim is 3-4 tops. even if we win every game by 50 from now on out.

I get why the pundits say we top out at a 4 but damn... If we somehow win out and then win the tourney how are we not up in the 3 zone. We would have to beat X on the road, beat Lasalle here and then beat two more top 35 RPI teams in the tourney. I think that would put us in the top 10 and why not a 3 seed. Im not saying it would be easy but if we are 29-5 and win the regular season championship and tourney in the third or fourth best league... how are we not a three???

totally agree. if we win out including conf tourney we have to be a 3 seed or the committee is cheating.

Per RPI forecast, if we were to win out and win the A-10 our RPI would be 10. Is a 3 seed possible in that scenario, sure,but I'm not sure I'd go far enough to say that we have been cheated if somehow we ended up in a 4 seed.

More important to those of us that plan to travel is do we get a driveable pod location. I'm just being selfish here but I'd rather have a 4 seed in KC than a 3 seed in San Jose.

The road to hoe is fraught with danger. If ever there was a time to take the hog's eyesight and maintain tunnel vision, it is now. We don't want to get caught focusing on anything more that the facts at hand. Remain "bland" as Crews called it.

Not to mimick Pete Gillen (as one of my dearest friends now refers to me) but the remaining schedule we have is the toughest one out there as the A10 closes down and we move towards Brooklyn. St. Joe's. Misplaced pre-season number one but physical. Mission accomplished. Up three for the fourth bye spot with three to go.

Next up: @ George Washington. This team is 6 and 7 and trending downward (2 and 5 last seven) but did take Butler down to the wire at home before losing by 3. Traditionally, we don't play well here. And they got one of those 6'9" guys I hate in Isaih Armwood. No slackin gon the road here.

Then @ Xavier. Almost had VCU; did nail Memphis. Need I say more. What are they, 53 and 1 at Cintas in their last few A10 seasons. And who's that 1? Us. They are young and injuury-depleted and not as talented as we are but we will be their super bowl for sure. And it's their senior night. Still, we have more talent, more skill and are deeper. No slacking off here either. They will likely have mor eemotion and will have the attitude that the A10 runs through them.

Close with La Salle. I project La Salle to come in at 11 and 4. So you can see how key this game might be. But I stil think we win out.

Focus on each game and win those. Win the A10 title. Worry about Brooklyn after that. Then Selection Sunday. Many hoops to jump through yet. Don't lose sight of the prize.

We "could be" a 2 seed as winning out could put our RPI at 10 and particularly if Gonzaga or Memphis are just ahead of SLU with fewer top 25 wins--> two seed. One of the big keys would also Butler and VCU being in the top 25 (New Mexico looks like they will be in the top. The point is that is the "could be a 4 seed" is ill informed and patronizing. Better bracketologists than Lunardi already have SLU at 5 or 6 and winning 6 more games would move them easily to a 3 seed.

One at a time of course. It was encouraging that we played a pretty lackluster 1st half, but were able to come out and steamroll them right from the start of the 2nd half. Earlier in the season, we would have let them hang around longer - North Texas, Savannah State and URI come to mind.

BTW, what in the hell happened to Charlotte last night. They got destroyed on their home floor by the sweatervests.

We "could be" a 2 seed as winning out could put our RPI at 10 and particularly if Gonzaga or Memphis are just ahead of SLU with fewer top 25 wins--> two seed. One of the big keys would also Butler and VCU being in the top 25 (New Mexico looks like they will be in the top. The point is that is the "could be a 4 seed" is ill informed and patronizing. Better bracketologists than Lunardi already have SLU at 5 or 6 and winning 6 more games would move them easily to a 3 seed.

+100. Lunardi is a little better than Palm, but still mediocre.

If we win out, we would hypothetically have an RPI around 10. We would have beaten 3 of the combination of Butler, VCU, X, Temple, and that cluster of Charlotte, GW, SJU, etc.

We also would have another top 100 road win. We would also have a top 50 home win in LaSalle.

We are currently ranked 18th and most likely will move up to the 15-16 range next week. If we won out, we would be at minimum top 10. We would also have a record of 28-5.

Don't bull**** me Joe Lunardi. SLU could easily have a 2 or 3 seed in that scenario. They WOULD have a 4 seed and that would be cheated.

If we are going to have this convo, I think I would actually rather be a #3 seed or #6 seed over a #4. I realize that the field is weak this year, but I'd rather stay away from the #1 seed for as long as as I could...

The Rhode Island loss was bad but a lot of the top ranked teams have losses that are just as bad and it doesn't seem to hurt their rankings. Kansas lost to tcu. Michigan lost to penn st. Just to name a few

The big difference is are two bad loss games at home.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="slu72" data-cid="347533" data-time="1362061221"><p>

We shouldn't be worried about seeds. We should concern ourselves w/ GW. Just remember winning takes care of everything.</p></blockquote>

+1

That Rhode Island game still drives me nuts when I think about it and where we would be if that was in the win column, but it seems that loss may have really been a valuable learning experience. The players have referenced it several times as a turning point.

Last night's 1st half reminded me a lot of the 1st half against URI... kind of lethargic, but end the half with a small lead. The difference is in the URI game, we continued to be sluggish to start the 2nd half and let them hang around for a long time. Last night, we came out in the first five minutes of the second half and basically erased any thought St. Joe's might have had that they were capable of winning that game.

Why are we not allowed to talk about seeds? Why should we only "focus on the task at hand?" We're not players or coaches, we're fans on an internet message board.

Agreed.

We, on a message board, can talk about it. We aren't on the team. We aren't coaches or players. We don't need to 'maintain focus'.

One at a time of course. It was encouraging that we played a pretty lackluster 1st half, but were able to come out and steamroll them right from the start of the 2nd half. Earlier in the season, we would have let them hang around longer - North Texas, Savannah State and URI come to mind.

BTW, what in the hell happened to Charlotte last night. They got destroyed on their home floor by the sweatervests.

It must have been the short slieve shirts Dayton was wearing!

The big difference is are two bad losses game at home.

SLU only has one bad loss (Rhode Island) and the fact it happened at home is already factored into the RPI. I presume you are talking about 18-9 Santa Clara who, while not great, will be a top 100 team once they beat Loyola Marymount (and will likely end up with 20 wins).

I agree with kwyjibo that the SC game was not a bad loss. They are currently a B- team with a pretty good chance to finish at B. As for RI (currently C), it was a bad loss for the numbers but a good loss for the team. I would say if it weren't for that loss we wouldn't have been able to win the next 10 games. The team learned a lot from that loss. Sometimes a loss can help you gel as a team.

SLU only has one bad loss (Rhode Island) and the fact it happened at home is already factored into the RPI. I presume you are talking about 18-9 Santa Clara who, while not great, will be a top 100 team once they beat Loyola Marymount (and will likely end up with 20 wins).

When you are trying to move up to the rarefied air of a 3 or 4 seed, losses at home to RI and even a Santa Clara team at home look bad. No team that we will be competing with for one of those seeds ( teams in the RPI top 20) has lost one home game, much less two, to teams currently outside the RPI top 100. Only two (NM and Arizona) have lost a single game at home to a team with a RPI outside of the top 50. Losing those two games at home are bad losses when we are trying to get a higher seed.