Top 25

Mobile-iken

For those of you who think making the Top 25 is unimportant:

I live in Huntsville, Alabama and went to Subway today to grab a sandwich while wearing a Billiken shirt. I had a 10 minute conversation with the cashier about the Billikens initiated by him. That conversation doesn't take place if we aren't ranked. Casual fans review the Top 25, they don't care about RPI, BPI, or anything else that ends in I.

I live in Huntsville, Alabama and went to Subway today to grab a sandwich while wearing a Billiken shirt. I had a 10 minute conversation with the cashier about the Billikens initiated by him. That conversation doesn't take place if we aren't ranked. Casual fans review the Top 25, they don't care about RPI, BPI, or anything else that ends in I.

I agree. It's a beauty contest, and we should be elated to be a part of it for as long as we can....

Similar experience. Guy asked me if "it was hard to get Billikens tickets" because he wanted to take his family (5 people) to the game Wednesday.

I love stories like that. Thanks for passing it along.

I understand the folks that say the rankings don't matter and appreciate their reasons why, but your story illustrates that there is some power behind having a number in front of your team's name.

I love stories like that. Thanks for passing it along.

I understand the folks that say the rankings don't matter and appreciate their reasons why, but your story illustrates that there is some power behind having a number in front of your team's name.

And a # in front of your school's name. I was in Colorado this past weekend, and I wore my billiken hat around. Many people asked me how far I thought we would get in the tournament. One guy said I hope you are this years Butler...that would be fun to watch.

What is everyone's opinion of how this team compares to the 2 yr run Spoon had as far as excitement level? I have to believe the change to Fox Sports has made a huge difference. With the extended sports package from my cable company Cox-Oklahoma ($7/month), I have been able to see all but 4 games this year live or a couple of hours delayed. That exposure has to help.

-cool, would have thought this would have taken place at McDonalds, but cool

What is everyone's opinion of how this team compares to the 2 yr run Spoon had as far as excitement level? I have to believe the change to Fox Sports has made a huge difference. With the extended sports package from my cable company Cox-Oklahoma ($7/month), I have been able to see all but 4 games this year live or a couple of hours delayed. That exposure has to help.

If you are talking about 93-95, that run with Spoon came at a unique time in St. Louis sports.

The St. Louis Cardinal football team left in 1987, leaving a void. The Rams didn't bring football back to St. Louis until 1995, after this two year run.

If you are not from St. Louis, you won't remember the St. Louis Steamers. They were an indoor soccer team that had huge success in St. Louis in the early to mid 1980's. When I say huge success, I mean that there was one season where their average attendance was second in all of North America for arena teams to the Edmonton Oilers (Gretzky). Yes, this means they outdrew the Lakers, Celtics, Bull, NY Rangers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Blues, etc. Despite their success, they went out of business in 1988. They were replaced by another indoor soccer team that wasn't nearly as successful.

So, when Spoon came along and brought success to the SLU program, the former indoor soccer fans and NFL fans were looking for something to do, and the timing was perfect. During that era, SLU had nights when they put 20,000 fans in the building.

Under the circumstances, I think that more people were excited about the Billikens in that two year span than currently. I wish the interest was the same, but doing everything we can to fill a 10,500 seat arena is no where near the same as putting 20,000 into the, then named, Kiel Center/Savvis Center.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="cgeldmacher" data-cid="346876" data-time="1361923826"><p>

If you are talking about 93-95, that run with Spoon came at a unique time in St. Louis sports.<br />

<br />.

The St. Louis Cardinal football team left in 1987, leaving a void. The Rams didn't bring football back to St. Louis until 1995, after this two year run.<br />

<br />

If you are not from St. Louis, you won't remember the St. Louis Steamers. They were an indoor soccer team that had huge success in St. Louis in the early to mid 1980's. When I say huge success, I mean that there was one season where their average attendance was second in all of North America for arena teams to the Edmonton Oilers (Gretzky). Yes, this means they outdrew the Lakers, Celtics, Bull, NY Rangers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Blues, etc. Despite their success, they went out of business in 1988. They were replaced by another indoor soccer team that wasn't nearly as successful.<br />

<br />

So, when Spoon came along and brought success to the SLU program, the former indoor soccer fans and NFL fans were looking for something to do, and the timing was perfect. During that era, SLU had nights when they put 20,000 fans in the building.<br />

<br />

Under the circumstances, I think that more people were excited about the Billikens in that two year span than currently. I wish the interest was the same, but doing everything we can to fill a 10,500 seat arena is no where near the same as putting 20,000 into the, then named, Kiel Center/Savvis Center.</p></blockquote>.

The Cardinals also sucked ass from 90-95.

They werent drawing 3 million a year then.

It was the perferct storm of professional suckieness, a great team, and a loveable coach with great marketting.

I walked into my golf club last Saturday after we beat Butler, and was met with about 20 members from the ACC and the SEC bowing and saying we are not worthy. This was before we got ranked. But as Broy said it's all window dressing to this point. Just keep winning Bills.

The Cardinals also sucked ass from 90-95.

They werent drawing 3 million a year then.

It was the perferct storm of professional suckieness, a great team, and a loveable coach with great marketting.

Cards sucked, Rams weren't here yet, but ironically the Blues (whose season most directly aligns with the SLU basketball season) were pretty good. I think this actually probably helped market the team since the Blues and Bills both played in the same arena so there was some cross advertising going on during the games.

It didn't hurt that 1994 was the first year that Keil/Saavis/Scottrade opened and the Bills were in an awesome conference during those years (Great Midwest with Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette, and DePaul).

I think this year's (and probably even last year's) team is better than those teams, but the overall climate has changed so much that the hype around the team is not the same.

Cards sucked, Rams weren't here yet, but ironically the Blues (whose season most directly aligns with the SLU basketball season) were pretty good. I think this actually probably helped market the team since the Blues and Bills both played in the same arena so there was some cross advertising going on during the games.

It didn't hurt that 1994 was the first year that Keil/Saavis/Scottrade opened and the Bills were in an awesome conference during those years (Great Midwest with Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette, and DePaul).

I think this year's (and probably even last year's) team is better than those teams, but the overall climate has changed so much that the hype around the team is not the same.

I think this was less about the Cardinals sucking and the absence of NFL. This was about a very good team, flavor of STL players on team, very smart "spoonball" marketing campaign and relatively inexpensive ticket prices. if the product's good and well marketed, people will come...and pay.

Being ranked is one thing. Publicity is another. But both can be fleeting. This is akin to how Gonzaga and Butler and Xavier started. It's how you sustain it and use that will eventually count. Anybody remember that undefeated juggernaut, the # 1 ranked team from 2003-2004? We play them tonight. How did they parlay the pub and viz vis-a-vis the three aforementioned teams? They did not and their coach, the same one who ran that magical team back then and is on today's opposinbg sideline, might be canned come this April.

For those at Columbus last year, we all remember that feeling and want it again and again. More times than not. The rock has started to roll. Can we sustain it?

Eyes on the future with feet firmly planted in the present taking lessons learned from a brutal past.

I have had numerous experiences like that. Earlier in the season I never heard anything when I wore my Billiken gear, now I get comments everywhere.

For what it's worth, 3 Top 25 teams lost last night:

#19 Memphis at Xavier

#1 Indiana at Minnesota

#8 Florida at Tennessee

Only #17 Wisconsin won, destroying Nebraska.

Tonight, it looks like a lot of very good teams go on the road to some seriously weaker opponents:

#4 Michigan at Penn State

#11 Arizona at USC

#15 Oklahoma State at TCU

#10 Louisville at DePaul

#7 Georgetown at UConn (this one is at least intriguing)

Virginia Tech at #5 Miami

South Florida at #23 Pitt

And, the one that we'll be watching the closest, SDSU at #14 New Mexico.

I ate at Spoons restaurant many times back in the day.

IMO the big years of Spoon's big run was superior fan-enthusiasm wise to what we are seeing today, but like earlier posters stated, it was timing and market dynamics. The Cardinals had a terrible run, bad, there was no NFL in town, etc. And back then there was not nearly as many sports on ESPN-Fox Sports-etc. 24/7 on HD.

Spoon had incredible charisma, a very good coach with country charm and a way with words, plus the players were very, very attractive to the fans, and some were local, also a key. Everybody liked most of our players.

I had 4 season tickets, my sons liked the games, Scott Highmark was my one son's favorite, NOBODY worked harder than Highmark. My son got to play on Scott's team in a summer basketball camp at Parkway West... a dream. The other son's face was on the scoreboard one game, and some costumed figure came running down the aisle, the loudspeakers boomed as "it" brought him a huge bucket of some kind of weird tiny chicken wings... some promotion, not sure what it was. He was stunned.

And Spoon was one of the first to understand that hitting the "3" was a strategic advantage, so he recruited the right ones to hit 'em, with "H", Clagget, and of course Scott. It was special... the "3" was kind of a new thing back then....to see those guards hitting "3's". The crowd went wild.

These days, I am getting calls and emails from friends outside of the SL area, but more importantly when I wear a Billiken shirt to the gym, (or whatever) people who never chat are stopping me and saying good things, they know we are 18 & 19, they even ask about tickets. So some of that is in the air again, but I would have to say that we need another year like this to get to the level of the famous Spoon run, but without a Spoon type charismatic leader and the local flavor, it will not quite hit the level of enthusiasm.

Finally, though, I think this team RIGHT NOW is better because of the 5-6 bigs we have. These days, too, teams know that they better defend the "3". No way of knowing, comparing eras is always debateable... but IMO this team is stronger, deeper. Still a long way to go. 4 games + The A-10 Tourney + NCAA's. But at this point, 3 strong guards, 5-6 bigs, plus JB, this yrs team is slightly better.

A big difference is during those years you hoped you could win a tourney game, but how many of us would have bet on the Bills even up in any NCAA tourney game had we not been BIlls fans?

This year, I'll be dissapointed if we don't make the sweet 16 and I'll bet the Bills are favored in the 1st two games this year. Hell, when we win out we may be favored in the 1st 3.

MB, Maybe my memory is going bad, but I don't believe Spoon recruited Claggs or Scott