Next Coach

GOSLU68

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we could out bid Murray State and steal Steve Prohm from them. Tell him he can join a league with the nations other top young coaches (Smart, Stevens, Mooney, and Mack).

If not I wouldn't mind seeing what Jeff Capel could do. He is only 37, can recruit, and has already taken both VCU and OU to the NCAA tournament. I think OU fired him too quickly and he has spent the last two years as an assistant at Duke. I'm guessing he has continued to learn from his experiences as a head coach and from Coach K at Duke. You don't get your first head coaching job at 27 and later added to Coach K's staff if you don't have serious potential.

Only a matter of time till someone gives him another shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Capel

The other guy that I wouldn't mind seeing hired is Tim Fuller. I know several posters on this board hate Missouri but this guy can recruit and has been named one of the top assistants under 40. Check out his history and watch the video on this link. He will be a head coach somewhere soon. I know Mizzou fans would absolutely hate to see him leave (much less lose him to another in state school).

Tim Fuller Profile

I wonder if we could out bid Murray State and steal Steve Prohm from them. Tell him he can join a league with the nations other top young coaches (Smart, Stevens, Mooney, and Mack).

If not I wouldn't mind seeing what Jeff Capel could do. He is only 37, can recruit, and has already taken both VCU and OU to the NCAA tournament. I think OU fired him too quickly and he has spent the last two years as an assistant at Duke. I'm guessing he has continued to learn from his experiences as a head coach and from Coach K at Duke. You don't get your first head coaching job at 27 and later added to Coach K's staff if you don't have serious potential.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Jeff_Capel

The other guy that I wouldn't mind seeing hired is Tim Fuller. I know several posters on this board hate Missouri but this guy can recruit and has been named one of the top assistants under 40. Check out his history and watch the video on this link. He will be a head coach somewhere soon. I know Mizzou fans would absolutely hate to see him leave (much less lose him to another in state school).

Tim Fuller Profile

I mentioned both those guys in previous threads and agree with you. Of course we just see the quick look and have no way to get the real inside info that's needed to make this kind of a hire. Thanks for the video link. The more I see tTim Fuller, the more I like him. From being smart enough as a HS Sr to know academics was going to be important to him and choosing to walk-on at Wake rather than take opportunities to possibly star at smaller schools to his thoughts on trust and work ethic. He seems like a very sharp young man and I can see him being a tremendous recruiter and someone kids can rspect and relate to.

I mentioned both those guys in previous threads and agree with you. Of course we just see the quick look and have no way to get the real inside info that's needed to make this kind of a hire. Thanks for the video link. The more I see tTim Fuller, the more I like him. From being smart enough as a HS Sr to know academics was going to be important to him and choosing to walk-on at Wake rather than take opportunities to possibly star at smaller schools to his thoughts on trust and work ethic. He seems like a very sharp young man and I can see him being a tremendous recruiter and someone kids can rspect and relate to.

I brought up Fuller when this stuff first happened with Rickma, too. He should be on the top of everyone's wish list.

jensen left because he didnt have the stomach to recruit. while i detest the what college recruiting has become, there is no doubt recruiting is a necessity to success at the Division one level more than any other aspect of coaching (proof is calipari). therefore no way jensen can come back. at least not at the head coach level. imo he needs to prove he can recruit and will always recruit.

I brought up Fuller when this stuff first happened with Rickma, too. He should be on the top of everyone's wish list.

Fuller is a stud and will be a head coach before long.

I feel like we should be able to hire someone who is more established, though. Not saying I wouldn't be happy with a big time assistant

I feel like we should be able to hire someone who is more established, though. Not saying I wouldn't be happy with a big time assistant

That is my wish, too. I would prefer someone who has proven himself, to some degree, as a head coach at the D-1 level. I would also like someone who is relatively young, who can be here for a while and establish a decent coaching 'tree' so that the job can be handed off to an established assistant down the line. It would have been nice if that could have happened with Majerus, but that wasn't the way the cards fell in the end.

Thus, if I had a wish list of coaches who seem like plausible hires, it would be:

• Jeff Capel - Young guy with success coaching at two different programs. Enough has been said about him in this thread.
  • Jay Wright - Obviously only available if he gets fired. But, if he does get fired from Nova, we should do everything possible to ****** him up. Last season was the first time he hadn't made the NCAA tourney since 2004. He has had success at Hofstra and Nova and is still only 50.
  • Rick Stansbury - Already expressed my thoughts about him in this thread.
  • Dan Monson - Most likely left Gonzaga too soon for Minnesota, especially since he had to deal with the mess left behind by Clem Haskins. He has really done a good job building the Long Beach St. program since leaving Minnesota. At 51, he should still have a lot of coaching years in him.
  • Ben Jacobson - Still only 41 and has done a really good job at UNI.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Jeff_Capel

Tim Fuller Profile

I have been in Oklahoma for the end of the Capel era. The consensus here is that he was a great recruiter, seemingly a really nice guy, but couldnt coach a lick. His big seasons came when he landed a once in a lifetime talent in Blake Griffin. When Blake left, Capel still recruited well. At one point two years after Griffin left he still had 4 McDonalds AA's on the roster. Everyone of them flamed out on a grand scale, leaving the program devoid of talent and under NCAA scrutiny. He completely lost control of the program and by the end of his final season, he was playing with only 5 or 6 scholarship players. He seemed like a good guy, just didnt have any program management ability. Putting him in a situation where he has less recruiting freedom and academic pressures would probably not be a good fit.

The surprise is that I thought Lon Kruger would do alot better here. He really hasnt made much of a blip at all. He hasnt landed and program changing players, nor has he developed much fan excitement whatsoever. OU tickets continue to be plentiful and super cheap.

I have been in Oklahoma for the end of the Capel era. The consensus here is that he was a great recruiter, seemingly a really nice guy, but couldnt coach a lick. His big seasons came when he landed a once in a lifetime talent in Blake Griffin. When Blake left, Capel still recruited well. At one point two years after Griffin left he still had 4 McDonalds AA's on the roster. Everyone of them flamed out on a grand scale, leaving the program devoid of talent and under NCAA scrutiny. He completely lost control of the program and by the end of his final season, he was playing with only 5 or 6 scholarship players. He seemed like a good guy, just didnt have any program management ability. Putting him in a situation where he has less recruiting freedom and academic pressures would probably not be a good fit.

The surprise is that I thought Lon Kruger would do alot better here. He really hasnt made much of a blip at all. He hasnt landed and program changing players, nor has he developed much fan excitement whatsoever. OU tickets continue to be plentiful and super cheap.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Capel.

Also, i've heard Kruger on the radio here and he is a great personality. Very likeable. Can't really say much for him as a coach and/or recruiter.

While I think hiring an assistant can be a bit of a gamble I also think you can end up with someone with a higher ceiling.

Just look at the top programs in the A10

VCU - hired Shaka Smart who was an assistant at Florida

Butler - hired Brad Stevens who was an assistant at Butler

Xavier - hired Chris Mack who was an assistant at Xavier

Even Mooney at Richmond only had one year of head coaching experience at Air Force when they hired him.

All of those coaches have since turned down big time programs from power conferences. If Butler, Richmond, VCU, and X had waited till they were more established and then tried to hire them they probably wouldn't be coaching where they are now.

That is my wish, too. I would prefer someone who has proven himself, to some degree, as a head coach at the D-1 level. I would also like someone who is relatively young, who can be here for a while and establish a decent coaching 'tree' so that the job can be handed off to an established assistant down the line. It would have been nice if that could have happened with Majerus, but that wasn't the way the cards fell in the end.

Thus, if I had a wish list of coaches who seem like plausible hires, it would be:

• Jeff Capel - Young guy with success coaching at two different programs. Enough has been said about him in this thread.
  • Jay Wright - Obviously only available if he gets fired. But, if he does get fired from Nova, we should do everything possible to ****** him up. Last season was the first time he hadn't made the NCAA tourney since 2004. He has had success at Hofstra and Nova and is still only 50.
  • Dan Monson - Most likely left Gonzaga too soon for Minnesota, especially since he had to deal with the mess left behind by Clem Haskins. He has really done a good job building the Long Beach St. program since leaving Minnesota. At 51, he should still have a lot of coaching years in him.

Do you realize that if you hand it off to an established asst., he probably won't have had success as a HC at the D-1 level. Besides the fact he was our Asst, what's the difference between an Asst then and an Asst now? I want the right guy. He might be a guy with previous success, an up and coming, or a really sharp asst. Everyone has a first job

I was the first to mention Wright and Capel back in late August/early September, so obviously they are high on my list. ;) Stansbury is an interesting guy. The possible advantage there is the guy could be ready to hit the ground running right after the season. Behind the scenes he could be assembling a list of assistants. I really like Monson too, but I'm not sure if he would consider this a big enough step up. I think he could wind up in the Pac-12.

I really like Capel because as a player/assistant at Duke, he at least has the appearance of being in an environment where academics matter, not some state school basketball factory... so I think that is a good fit for us. He helped build a "mid-major" at VCU and had experience and some success at a BCS. Recruited some high profile players like Blake Griffin, which I think is a plus. Not sure about his xs and os, but I think coaches can learn from the early mistakes. Even RM failed at his first stop. Another possible benefit is that Capel may have established a good list of potential recruits who Duke was maybe talking to, but who were maybe not quite good enough for Duke. In other words, they could make for really good SLU spring recruiting targets.

Monson and Jacobson are the only names that I like on that list. I don't think Monson has any desire to come back to the midwest.

Capel has major baggage. Stansbury has baggage too. Wright can recruit, but isn't a great game coach and I question how succesful he would be at recruiting in the midwest.

BTW here is the top assistants under 40 list I mentioned before.

Top 10 Thursday: Assistants 40 and under

Besides Fuller from that list I also like Graves from Butler.

We ought to be talking to at least half of these guys when the time comes. I think SLU will have some good options. I also think we will be in a better position than we've ever been in to land some of the guys we're targeting. Not to look ahead too far, as I am expecting a good season but it will make which is always a long, boring off-season more fun. I just have to convince myself SLU won't screw it up.

jensen left because he didnt have the stomach to recruit. while i detest the what college recruiting has become, there is no doubt recruiting is a necessity to success at the Division one level more than any other aspect of coaching (proof is calipari). therefore no way jensen can come back. at least not at the head coach level. imo he needs to prove he can recruit and will always recruit.

I indeed know why Jensen left. How much was he making? Making more money and maybe he likes recruiting a lot more. Besides, he can hire assistants to help with that. I don't buy that you couldn't lure him back and yes with the job comes recruiting.

I indeed know why Jensen left. How much was he making? Making more money and maybe he likes recruiting a lot more. Besides, he can hire assistants to help with that. I don't buy that you couldn't lure him back and yes with the job comes recruiting.

my understanding he took a SUBSTANTIAL pay cut to leave here to go to the nba minor league.

While I might not be the biggest fan of the idea of SLU having to hire a Mizzou assistant, Fuller does sound pretty good. While a coach having a winning track record is obviously a plus, I wouldn't be opposed to hiring a top assistant coach. Fuller would be one, as would Chris Collins from Duke. 10+ years under Coach K, he's the son of NBA coach Doug Collins, plus he's from the Midwest.

While I might not be the biggest fan of the idea of SLU having to hire a Mizzou assistant, Fuller does sound pretty good. While a coach having a winning track record is obviously a plus, I wouldn't be opposed to hiring a top assistant coach. Fuller would be one, as would Chris Collins from Duke. 10+ years under Coach K, he's the son of NBA coach Doug Collins, plus he's from the Midwest.

-if the guy is the right guy this would matter to you?

-i'll say again, i hope Chris May is making a list......

-if the guy is the right guy this would matter to you?

No. Fuller sounds good and I wouldn't be opposed to hiring him. He's not tainted for being a Mizzou assistant. Heck, hiring a Mizzou assistant worked out well for us with Grawer. My point was that generally schools hire assistants from programs that are better than them. SLU hiring from Mizzou makes us look second class. That might be the public perception; at least until he shows himself to be a legit coach.

No. Fuller sounds good and I wouldn't be opposed to hiring him. He's not tainted for being a Mizzou assistant. Heck, hiring a Mizzou assistant worked out well for us with Grawer. My point was that generally schools hire assistants from programs that are better than them. SLU hiring from Mizzou makes us look second class. That might be the public perception; at least until he shows himself to be a legit coach.

-the only places i have witnessed such a perception was on here or stltoday.com by probably some of the same people that post here

my understanding he took a SUBSTANTIAL pay cut to leave here to go to the nba minor league.

i don't believe that. I don't believe we pay any of our assistants so much money that the would take a large pay cut to go to the development league. I also had a few conversations with Jensen and don't believe he hated recruiting so much that he left here for less money because of recruiting.