Crews

gobillsgo

after sleeping on it, i am more upset than right after the game. hell yes we had other options. if you show a high level assistant the money, or an up and coming low D1 coach they would have jumped whenever you asked. the fact we didnt even try to find a real coach showed that crews was/is the plan. and it is a bad plan. crews should have never been on the staff period imo considering his background and the way he left his two previous jobs. when you get fired from army, wouldnt you think you have to start over the next time at an even lower level not go to an up and coming saint louis university.

mb your grandma could have done a better job last night and there is no defenise for losing like that.. like i said in another thread, in reality this already isnt a one game thing. the fact the shot percentage defense is as high as it has been for both games tells you by itself there is something wrong.

the clincher last night was when jett fouled out, probably 340 division one coaches in America use that time to have an impromtu time out while the clock runs for the substitution choice. crews just waived barnett into the game. he gave up with almost 8 minutes left in the game.

Then I agree with you, Roy, if we had time to find a very attractive option, we shoulda; though I think it was rather late to do so. I assume we were ill prepared to do an effective quick search (Biondi, athletic department track record).

Also, aren't we paying Majerus full salary since he is on medical leave? I am not sure, but assume so. Then if we hired a top notch new Billiken coach from another program we would be paying big bucks for two coaches. Not sure, just asking. If so, Crews was a low cost option for the year. Lets not be too tough on Crews, he came here to be an asst coach. Sh*t happens.

In an earlier post that one or two idiots mocked, I pointed out that losing Majerus might have a significant effect... that I had talked to a few well known local basketball insiders/coaches and they feared the players would not commit to the same level of intensity and that Majerus was such a superior D-1 coach that the change to Crews could cost us some games.

And again, losing KM (which everyone seems to understand) and Conklin (which most everyone does not understand) hurts big time.

It is still early, maybe the kids will learn from this and pull together. But I am worried.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things are alarming to me and they have already been stated for the most part.

Two games of poor defense and Crews hasn't made adjustments with it. No in game adjustments, no between game adjustments, no timeouts to ask the players WTF are they doing?

Maybe he is and the guys aren't executing? Which, would be another issue. We do know for sure his lack of timeouts last night was extremely puzzling.

I see no leadership from anybody on the court. I thought DE would try and rally the guys. I thought Loe might take that role as well, however not yet.

He has stated twice now that the players are abandoning the offense too early. Well, then fix that. If you don't call a timeout to address that it will not happen.

The lack of minutes from JM is alarming. RM said JM had been developing nicely. Maybe Crews doesn't see as much in him as RM. If that is the case, I trust RM. RM said Glaze would motor but too wild and that it would take a while to work that out. Since RM's departure, does Crews feel Grandy has fixed that enough to replace JM's minutes? And has Grandy's development been greater than JM's since RM departed? It seems very peculiar to me.

RM does wonders with big men. Did he feel JM would be good under HIS development?

I sit by the bench and two different times Whitesell ran down the bench clapping his hands trying to rally the guys. I am not calling for Whitesell here, but he seemed more into it than Crews. Watch for this in future games.

I won't hit the panic button just yet. SC will be a tournament team. Mark my words. They shot ridiculously well. Granted some of that was our defense giving them open shots. But, even when contested, they were hitting everything. We were also a turnover machine.

I think we will be fine, but some things need to get cleaned up quickly. Better to deal with this early on, then come unglued mid season.

More than anything else, I want to see this team show the heart they are used to showing. I thought they would be playing inspired and dedicating the season to Rick.

In case this hasn't been addressed elsewhere (I was too depressed to read the board until now): wtFFFFF is up with conceding offensive rebounds on free throws? Is that some new trendy strategy?

i second that. just flat out stupid.

Listened to Crews on 590 this morning on the drive into work. He said he was very disappointed that the team just didn't compete which surprised him as they had just come of three good days of practice. Also pointed out the obvious in saying they just "gave up" on their offense sets. Granted he shouldn't be jumping for joy the day after such a stinkfest but my takeaway based on his coments,tone and insight was that he almost seemed as though he was just kind of faking his way through the interview. Stated a lot of the obvious excuses but really didn't point out any solutions. I compare it to when someone is in a position that you know they either aren't qualified for or aren't invested in and just talk out of their a$$ and manage to sound impressive but you know they don't really know what they are doing. Don't mean to imply that Crews isn't qualified or know what he is doing but I got the impression that he doesn't really want to put in the work needed to be a difference maker. He took the job to be a stop-gap for one year as a favor to RM and the school thinking he couldn't screw it up while SLU found a permanent replacement. Now that he's already facing adversity we'll see what kind of dedication he has to right the ship.

that is why he should have never been considered in the first place. i cant remember an "interim this early in a campaign have any sort of success. it is a doomed prophecy.

Then I agree with you, Roy, if we had time to find a very attractive option, we shoulda; though I think it was rather late to do so. I assume we were ill prepared to do an effective quick search (Biondi, athletic department track record). Also, aren't we paying Majerus full salary since he is on medical leave? I am not sure, but assume so. Then if we hired a top notch new Billiken coach from another program we would be paying big bucks for two coaches. Not sure, just asking. If so, Crews was a low cost option for the year. Lets not be too tough on Crews, he came here to be an asst coach. Sh*t happens. In an earlier post that one or two idiots mocked, I pointed out that losing Majerus might have a significant effect... that I had talked to a few well known local basketball insiders/coaches and they feared the players would not commit to the same level of intensity and that Majerus was such a superior D-1 coach that the change to Crews could cost us some games. And again, losing KM (which everyone seems to understand) and Conklin (which most everyone does not understand) hurts big time. It is still early, maybe the kids will learn from this and pull together. But I am worried.

i assume the main reason an "interim" solution was used was the respect for rickma's possible return. it is the only thing that makes the crews in charge make sense imo.

Agree on the leadership thing. There is no leader on the court tonight. One time I saw Rob call out someone for a missed defensive assignment. Didn't see anything else. Kwamain can lead on the bench, but this team desperately needs him back on the floor tonight. He wouldn't have let the offense stall like it did last night.

As far as the timeouts go, Crews tried to call one late in the first half but the ref didn't see or hear him and Jordair went on to score. Still, he should have used a timeout 5 minutes into the game. Majerus might have used 4 timeouts just in the first half.

Also, aren't we paying Majerus full salary since he is on medical leave? I am not sure, but assume so.

If, in fact, the U didn't have some sort of insurance on an obese, 60+-year-old key executive with a known history of heart disease, then it's the rest of the iceberg underneath keeping Guy around, not paying for charter flights, etc. etc.

Never thought I would say I missed Cassity! At least when he had his one bad pass or turn over that was it for the night. I don't remember seeing so many sloopy, poor, and repeated bad passes by the Bills. My TV's ears hurt I screamed at it so much.

Kyle was in da house last night. He didn't look happy. (He's also lost the beard -- perhaps he's up for the 21 Jump Street sequel.)

From what I've seen the first two games from Crews, I'm wondering if his practices just consist of rolling the ball on the floor and telling them to play for a couple of hours. I have seen no real coaching philosophy, on either defense or offense, so far. Considering the man has been a D-1 head coach for nearly half of his life, you would think he'd have some kind of plan in place.

He has truly looked like young, assistant coach with no head coaching experience whatsoever, being put into this position for the very first time in his life. At one point in the 2nd half, I believe Tanner Bronson took over in the huddle during a timeout and Crews was just wondering around on the outside. My confidence is shaken right now with this team...

From what I've seen the first two games from Crews, I'm wondering if his practices just consist of rolling the ball on the floor and telling them to play for a couple of hours. I have seen no real coaching philosophy, on either defense or offense, so far. Considering the man has been a D-1 head coach for nearly half of his life, you would think he'd have some kind of plan in place.

He has truly looked like young, assistant coach with no head coaching experience whatsoever, being put into this position for the very first time in his life. At one point in the 2nd half, I believe Tanner Bronson took over in the huddle during a timeout and Crews was just wondering around on the outside. My confidence is shaken right now with this team...

I remember a post a few weeks ago from the closed door scrimmage....it basically said that Crews didn't call a timeout the entire scrimmage most likely in order to teach the players to get through adversity on their own without needing a timeout from the coach in a non game.. Well, unfortunately, he doesn't call timeouts. Could we trade each timeout for 2 pts a piece before the game starts?

Don't mean to imply that Crews isn't qualified or know what he is doing but I got the impression that he doesn't really want to put in the work needed to be a difference maker. He took the job to be a stop-gap for one year as a favor to RM and the school thinking he couldn't screw it up while SLU found a permanent replacement.

Do we know this to be true?

Not saying you but several posters have made the comment that Crews didn't ask to be head coach, that he only was to be an assistant here for 1 year, etc. and have made it out to almost be some type of victim as well. I say otherwise.

If I recall correctly, Crews lost his job at Army (as head coach) and wanted to keep coaching as a head coach. He agreed to take a one (1) stint with RM/SLU as an assistant as a favor to RM but also for himself --- Crews collected a paycheck last year from SLU, stayed active in the college game, got to sit on the chair next to RM at Chaifetz Arena as opposed to the chair next to his wife at his home and then, yes, was set to leave to become a head coach again. Instead, he stayed as SLU's interim head coach which is a better job than anything else he would have been looking at. Evansville... Army... Hey, let's face it, the BCS schools were not going to call his phone number. IMO, Crews was hoping to land a low level D-1 job -- not inherit RM's Top 20 (Lindy's #9) team in the country. Good fortune struck for Crews. IMO, Crews actively wanted and got the SLU job - the same job, we all know, that Whitesell wanted.

Could this have been some sort of Machiavellian ploy? "We'll try it your way with the headbands and streetball and when that fails miserably, crew cuts and Princeton style for everyone."

You mean "Crews Cuts"? Let's hope JC doesn't sCrews this up this year? We were Crews-ing a long and then he took over.

Do we know this to be true?

Not saying you but several posters have made the comment that Crews didn't ask to be head coach, that he only was to be an assistant here for 1 year, etc. and have made it out to almost be some type of victim as well. I say otherwise.

If I recall correctly, Crews lost his job at Army (as head coach) and wanted to keep coaching as a head coach. He agreed to take a one (1) stint with RM/SLU as an assistant as a favor to RM but also for himself --- Crews collected a paycheck last year from SLU, stayed active in the college game, got to sit on the chair next to RM at Chaifetz Arena as opposed to the chair next to his wife at his home and then, yes, was set to leave to become a head coach again. Instead, he stayed as SLU's interim head coach which is a better job than anything else he would have been looking at. Evansville... Army... Hey, let's face it, the BCS schools were not going to call his phone number. IMO, Crews was hoping to land a low level D-1 job -- not inherit RM's Top 20 (Lindy's #9) team in the country. Good fortune struck for Crews. IMO, Crews actively wanted and got the SLU job - the same job, we all know, that Whitesell wanted.

I'm assuming all assistant coaches love the game of basketball. I also assume all those involved in the sport for as long as Crews has, also love the game. An individual in the position to coach a team and who loves the game should jump at the opportunity to take over a talented, top ranked team. There is no way, I can see Crews not jump on this opportunity. It was a terrible game for him and the team. The key is going to be how he responds to that loss in KC. That will be a telling factor on how our "dream" season is going to play out.

I might get roasted for saying this but my god it's been two games and we are without our all conference point guard and another senior starter. Yes Crews has been less than impressive the first two games but its still way early on in the season. I'm still very optimistic that we will be top 3 in conference and playing in the NCAA tournament. Get off the ledge people.

I might get roasted for saying this but my god it's been two games and we are without our all conference point guard and another senior starter. Yes Crews has been less than impressive the first two games but its still way early on in the season. I'm still very optimistic that we will be top 3 in conference and playing in the NCAA tournament. Get off the ledge people.

Really? Who is the guy you are referring to -- "another senior starter"?? Surely you are not talking about CR, are you? When has he been a starter or even a real contributor to the program??

BTW, are last year's stats available anywhere?? Steve, I don't see then on your Board or on SLU's website.

Cory was going to be a starter this year and if he wasn't he would still be getting 20 minutes a game.

Also everyone including myself shrugged off the loss of Kwamain and thought we wouldn't really miss a beat and that's obviously not the case. Take an all conference 5th year senior point guard of any team and they will take some time to adjust. Look the game against SC was a disaster but let's not overreact like most on here are doing