Lindy's College Basketball Magazine

btslu

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really sucks that coach has to miss this. Love him or hate him, the guy deserves all the credit for getting us to this point. A number 9 ranking? Number 11 ranking? Yeah, I know all this is meaningless until we hit the court...but perception is reality and this puts us on the radar from day 1. I wish I could send the guy a get well or congrats note.....I feel bad for him.

I'm really starting to think that KC is going to be more of a factor than anticipated. I still dont understand how he flew under the radar for so long

Don't get too excited...yet. I do think he is the real deal, but he is going to have a hard time getting on the floor this season. There are only so many minutes at the guard spot and I don't see Kwa or MM losing many minutes. And from several accounts I have heard, JJ has shown the most improvement over last year, so his minutes are also unlikely to drop. The good news is that KC slides right into the rotation at guard to replace Kwa after this season.

On a side note, May was not concerned about anyone leaving over RMs health issues. There was initial concern about the frosh, but May indicated they took it in stride.

Not according to some:

http://www.tigerboar...essage=10006582

Some real original stuff there :rolleyes:

"basically [sLU has] maybe one player on their roster who would even see playing time at Mizzou"

That's almost as good as saying KL and TLIII wouldn't have even been walk-ons at KU. I just can't believe it. Norfolkin way.

"basically [sLU has] maybe one player on their roster who would even see playing time at Mizzou"

That's almost as good as saying KL and TLIII wouldn't have even been walk-ons at KU. I just can't believe it. Norfolkin way.

it is always nice to have the spumac crew validate our legitmate hatred for their fandom.

Does anybody think the AP or Coaches Preseason rankings will be anywhere near what these publications project. My guess is that we have a #19 in front of our names when the season begins

I think we'll start the regular season unranked but in the 25-30 range. There are just too many people out there that will think RM is the difference or that last year was a fluke. Our performance in the KC tourney and at Washington will determine whether we get ranked prior to conference season starting.

We don't have the "athletes" to compete with SPUMAC. :lol: Did these idiots even watch the NCAA Tournament? They probably turned it off after the Norfolk State game.

We don't have the "athletes" to compete with SPUMAC. :lol: Did these idiots even watch the NCAA Tournament? They probably turned it off after the Norfolk State game.

I didn't go back and read any further than what I quoted. Did they actually bring up the "athletes" argument to winning a game? Even assuming that is the case I would without hesitation put JJ and KM up against anyone on Mizzou. Hell, I'd even throw Jared Drew out there as a kid that is "athletic" based on my limited time watching him.

Either way, I think Norfolk St. made it abundantly clear that simply having athletes will not win you a basketball game.

I didn't go back and read any further than what I quoted. Did they actually bring up the "athletes" argument to winning a game? Even assuming that is the case I would without hesitation put JJ and KM up against anyone on Mizzou. Hell, I'd even throw Jared Drew out there as a kid that is "athletic" based on my limited time watching him.

Either way, I think Norfolk St. made it abundantly clear that simply having athletes will not win you a basketball game.

And last season, both Washington and Memphis were supposed to be far superior than SLU on an 'athletic' front, and SLU beat both of them.

They are big on comparing counting stats and unable to realize that you have to adjust them for the tempo each team plays at.

Just to show the difference in 1) the rankings by various mags and 2) the possible impact of RM's absence I looked at the Althon preseason col bb preview and it has VCU as #25 and winning the A-10, with SLU out of the rankings. It was written AFTER the announced leave for RM. The other thing that seemed weak is that they listed the top 300 incoming recruits and KC was not even given a sniff. I couldn't believe it so I scanned the list 3 times and only found Drew in the mid range of the 101-300 grouping. (operating from 2 day old memory here.)

I don't think RM's absence should have any impact on KC's rating-how could they not rank him when he finished 2nd in the state of Ill for POY, or whatever it was called?

Out of curiosity, anybody know WHO voted? There are 30 first place votes with 16 teams. I guess they gave one vote to each coach and then one to a corresponding media rep from that area. Like Timmerman? Still, that means either two teams didn't have a media rep or one team failed to vote -- from either the coaching or media side. Just curious.

With all due respect to St. Joe's, I don't see that. They were a six-man team last year and while they all made some all-A10 team, I wasn't that impressed. But they are all a year older. Plus, they added little to the mix. Kyle Molock is their best rated recruit and he a 6-2" guard --- behind Galloway, Jones and Quarles on the depth chart. Does the swing vote go because of Martelli and his experience/age? I sat on Hawk Hill last year when we totally throttled them and heard a lot of St. Joe fans b*tching that Phil's offense is the same one he used with Nelson and West and while it works with two outstanding guards, Martelli doesn't have that now. Fo rme Galloway blows hot and coll dtoo much and Jones is small. But so too I guess was Nelson. Maybe, like Rick's system, they'll play into Martelli's better with another year of experience. Kanacevic wil replace Conklin as the A10's poster boy for the one player most other fan bases are likely to hate.

Succes for me this year would count a title (regular season or tournament) as gravy only if coupled with a run to that second weekend in March. For this program, that's a high goal and lofty aspiration.

Just to show the difference in 1) the rankings by various mags and 2) the possible impact of RM's absence I looked at the Althon preseason col bb preview and it has VCU as #25 and winning the A-10, with SLU out of the rankings. It was written AFTER the announced leave for RM. The other thing that seemed weak is that they listed the top 300 incoming recruits and KC was not even given a sniff. I couldn't believe it so I scanned the list 3 times and only found Drew in the mid range of the 101-300 grouping. (operating from 2 day old memory here.)

I don't think RM's absence should have any impact on KC's rating-how could they not rank him when he finished 2nd in the state of Ill for POY, or whatever it was called?

NBC Sports has SLU in at #22 with RM's absence.....I didn't realize Jett scored 20% of his 2011-12 total points in the post season.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/top-25-countdown-no-22-st-louis-billikens/

I could not find KC anywhere on their list. It does not make sense. He finished second to the number one ranked player in the country. There is no good reason why he should not be ranked in the top 300.

Out of curiosity, anybody know WHO voted? There are 30 first place votes with 16 teams. I guess they gave one vote to each coach and then one to a corresponding media rep from that area. Like Timmerman? Still, that means either two teams didn't have a media rep or one team failed to vote -- from either the coaching or media side. Just curious.

With all due respect to St. Joe's, I don't see that. They were a six-man team last year and while they all made some all-A10 team, I wasn't that impressed. But they are all a year older. Plus, they added little to the mix. Kyle Molock is their best rated recruit and he a 6-2" guard --- behind Galloway, Jones and Quarles on the depth chart. Does the swing vote go because of Martelli and his experience/age? I sat on Hawk Hill last year when we totally throttled them and heard a lot of St. Joe fans b*tching that Phil's offense is the same one he used with Nelson and West and while it works with two outstanding guards, Martelli doesn't have that now. Fo rme Galloway blows hot and coll dtoo much and Jones is small. But so too I guess was Nelson. Maybe, like Rick's system, they'll play into Martelli's better with another year of experience. Kanacevic wil replace Conklin as the A10's poster boy for the one player most other fan bases are likely to hate.

Succes for me this year would count a title (regular season or tournament) as gravy only if coupled with a run to that second weekend in March. For this program, that's a high goal and lofty aspiration.

Molock is out for the season after tearing his ACL for the 3rd time I believe. Have to feel bad for that kid