New Zealand not doing well in Olympic Qualification warm-ups

Fact Rob Loe is many times better then Conklin was at this point in his career. It seems forgot that next year is only his junior year. Bigs often take much longer time to develop center skills and as a sophomore he was already a solid a10 center

Already a solid A10 center? That's a dubious statement. Or maybe it just doesn't say much for the A10. 5 points (primarily from outside shooting, 3 rebounds, and 1ft attempt per game on average. Sounds like a small forward more than a center to me. I see the potential. But it's too early to say he's already there.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Joke. Am I the only one who got this? Also, Rob's performance against Angola is an encouraging sign, but sad that New Zealand is out, Rob could use some more development, but I think he will be better this season.

I don't know if you're the only one who got Metz's reference, but I sure didn't. I did a Google search on
"win by default" "mark my words"
, and it appears to be a political reference. Ironically (perhaps), this thread is the third result for that search.

I don't know if you're the only one who got Metz's reference, but I sure didn't. I did a Google search on

"win by default" "mark my words"
, and it appears to be a political reference. Ironically (perhaps), this thread is the third result for that search.

Thicks, Metz's quote is playing on the possibility/likelihood that Greece will default on its debt obligations and leave the European Union.

Good Joke. Am I the only one who got this? Also, Rob's performance against Angola is an encouraging sign, but sad that New Zealand is out, Rob could use some more development, but I think he will be better this season.

No - most of us simply saw it for what it was a a little chuckle and then move on.

Hey, Conklin is one of my all time favorite Billikens.

This past year (previous year injuries notwithstanding) he exceeded expectations big time, nobody expected it. Nobody. It was through hard work and determination, and we all respected that... he did not just let things happen and coast through his senior year. He was the difference maker who took us to the dance (sure, others did well, too).

His contributions were much, much more than his stats, the 13.9 ppg and 4+ rebounds per game... he was a fighter down low, set brutal picks, was our only true muscle player that kept the other teams in check when we were overmatched physically, and in doing so inspired the whole team and fans. Trite, but he led by example, really. People say that, he did it.

His story is why Billiken basketball is exciting. I would not want to talk to any of the Kentucky players from last year for one goddam minute. Conk, I would buy beers for hours and listen.

HATE

Thanks, LB ;)

I also agree RL is going to have a breakout year for us. If he's on and finding his stroke early from behind the arc, watch out! In a situation where he's playing around the perimeter, it will force the opposing big man to be honest and defend him and will allow for cuts to the basket by our guards. RL has a good touch as a passer as well.

While I think the style of the American game is different than the FIBA-style Loe grew up in, we've seen guys like Pau Gasol and Dirk who would traditionally stay in the paint move out and showcase their jump-shot and 3-point capabilities. The sky hook that Kareem and Dr. J perfected from the blocks is now a lost art, but it's definitely awesome to see a 6'10 or 7 footer bury the 3 ball consistently.

None of our front court players are more physically gifted than Conklin. A couple may be able to jump higher or be a little quicker, but Conk's strength more than made up for those differences.

Yeah, for 1 season.

Conklin had basically no athletic ability (comparatively), yet he still put up huge numbers his senior year. That's why he's a beast and will go down as one of the best Billikens ever. The guy simply out worked everyone.

Yeah, for 1 season.

Conklin had basically no athletic ability (comparatively), yet he still put up huge numbers his senior year. That's why he's a beast and will go down as one of the best Billikens ever. The guy simply out worked everyone.

^ Amen to that.

Yeah, for 1 season.

+1

I would question whether RL and CE have more athletic ability than a healthy senior year Conklin. They might be taller and perhaps a little quicker (not sold on this), but I think we are underestimating Conk's athletic ability. Conk was definitely stronger than both and just think of the Conklin Crush in the UW game. He set a bonecrusher screen then finished with the "and 1" on the same possession.

I think CR has more natural athletic ability and i have no opinion on GG/JM when compared to Conk.

Conk definitely worked as hard, if not harder, than anyone on the court.

Yeah, for 1 season. Conklin had basically no athletic ability (comparatively), yet he still put up huge numbers his senior year. That's why he's a beast and will go down as one of the best Billikens ever. The guy simply out worked everyone.

while i agree Brian was a very good player, and he was a very hard working billiken, i cant help but compare him to previous inside greats like Bonner and Donnie Dobbs. even quitman dillard and Jeff Harris had better overall statistics. Jamal Johnson's one season at SLU was very comparable. Tommie Liddell and Maurice Jeffers as small forward/guards had comparable numbers. i could go on. i would put conklin in the category of chris sloan and luke meyer who also played with tons of heart and desire and excelled at a position where they were undersized and won because of pure effort and hard work. but i wouldnt put him with the "all time great" billikens. i am very happy brian conklin was a billiken and he is a favorite player of the most recent regime. but this is an example of over use of the "great" tag imo.

while brian is a loss. every season brings a "loss". and it is the rare season that returning and new players cant fill the shoes either individually or collectively. this team is one that i will be shocked if they cant fill the brian conklin graduation. there is plenty of talent returning and we do have one of the greatest basketball minds in charge of the team. Thanks for memories brian. you were a wonderful billiken. next.

Brian, brought a toughness factor that is not presently on this team. Grandy probably has that, but we just haven't been exposed to it. Fans from other teams hated Conklin because he was a grinder and a brute at times. Brian would set a bone crushing screen and enjoy it. The difference between a guy like Conkin and a guy like Ellis is that is that Conklin would set a screen and send a message. Ellis is not afraid to set the screen or take the charge, but he'd then fall backwards. The end result was positive in both Conklin's and Cody's scenarios, but Conklin's screen also sent a message and made opposing players take note that he was out there.

Ellis is two inches taller than Conklin and has more finesse. Cory can jump out of the gym and is more athletic, but isn't as heady as Conklin. Loe has a perimeter shot, has more finesse, is a lot taller than Brian - but lacks his toughness. Jett brings a similar toughness, but he's not an inside player. Evans is too undersized - he's tough and gritty as hell, just not that big. Hopefully, Manning can fill this role. I'd love to see Manning play a similar smash mouth style.

I thought last year's team was tough and Conklin was big part of that in leadership, attitude, and play. We need a similar toughness on this year's team.

while i agree Brian was a very good player, and he was a very hard working billiken, i cant help but compare him to previous inside greats like Bonner and Donnie Dobbs. even quitman dillard and Jeff Harris had better overall statistics. Jamal Johnson's one season at SLU was very comparable. Tommie Liddell and Maurice Jeffers as small forward/guards had comparable numbers. i could go on. i would put conklin in the category of chris sloan and luke meyer who also played with tons of heart and desire and excelled at a position where they were undersized and won because of pure effort and hard work. but i wouldnt put him with the "all time great" billikens. i am very happy brian conklin was a billiken and he is a favorite player of the most recent regime. but this is an example of over use of the "great" tag imo.

while brian is a loss. every season brings a "loss". and it is the rare season that returning and new players cant fill the shoes either individually or collectively. this team is one that i will be shocked if they cant fill the brian conklin graduation. there is plenty of talent returning and we do have one of the greatest basketball minds in charge of the team. Thanks for memories brian. you were a wonderful billiken. next.

Good post. Everything you said is pretty on point. But I do think when we look back on his career and his contribution to the program he'll be viewed as a great. In pure talent or numbers maybe not, but his dedication and will to win we're major parts in transforming our program.

During a recent interview with Hadley, Rick referred to Brian as one of his top 5 players of all time. Although not defined more clearly, it was indeed ... high praise.

The "so you want to play rough" sequence vs. Washington may be the signature moment of our season and Brian's career. Watch it again to see courage, leadership and sticking up for your teammate all in one spontaneous moment.

Prior to last season I would have put Conklin in the 2nd tier of recent PFs, with guys like Meyer, Sloan, Leuchtefeld or Tatum. His performance this last season put him way over those guys. I don't think anyone is saying he is as good as Dobbs or Bonner, although early last season his numbers were comparable, he still compares favorably to Harris & Johnson. Those two might have had slightly better numbers But Conklin gets points for being a team leader on a much better squad. The team Harris put up huge numbers with his sr year, last years team would have beat them by 30. I'm pretty confident that in my lifetime 79-present Conklin ranks in the top 5 PFs for the Billikens, and could be #3.

Prior to last season I would have put Conklin in the 2nd tier of recent PFs, with guys like Meyer, Sloan, Leuchtefeld or Tatum. His performance this last season put him way over those guys. I don't think anyone is saying he is as good as Dobbs or Bonner, although early last season his numbers were comparable, he still compares favorably to Harris & Johnson. Those two might have had slightly better numbers But Conklin gets points for being a team leader on a much better squad. The team Harris put up huge numbers with his sr year, last years team would have beat them by 30. I'm pretty confident that in my lifetime 79-present Conklin ranks in the top 5 PFs for the Billikens, and could be #3.

Conklin was definitely better than the likes of Meyer, Sloan and Luechtefeld. How much playing time do you think those three guys would have gotten on last year's team? I would rank Conklin ahead of Harris and behind Dobbs.

1. bonner

2. dobbs

3. johnson

4. harris

5. dillard

6. conklin

in that order. first clarification, over a 20 something time frame, that is a hell of a list of very good players.

let's not forget that dobbs, harris, johnson and conklin played much higher level competition (cusa in the hayday) with a lesser supporting cast and still succeeded. as to inferring jeff harris wasnt the team leader that conklin was or thinking he wasnt as tough, my oh my. harris was the team his senior year imo. i still remember huggy bear saying he would take jeff harris in a second to start at pf for his bearcat team. harris was a lion.

it was a shame jamal johnson wasnt here his whole career. he was an amazing talent. he too had no supporting cast was mugged every time he touched the ball.

q dillard was just clutch. he didnt look like much but at the end of the game he has his near double double, was hitting threes from the corner, getting the put backs, and made the free throws down the stretch to go ahead and had the big rebound to end the game kind of a guy. i loved quentin

we dont have to discuss bonner and dobbs. they start and end the great list of billiken power forwards over the last 25 years. what dobbs accomplished with his physical shortcomings was nothing short of amazing. and bonner is the king of all time.

btw, if you are talking about ryan luechtefeld, i agree. he doesnt come close to comparing. jeff luck never played power forward. jeff luck would have played on this team. he was the definition of a self made player that by career end was very very good.

1. bonner

2. dobbs

3. johnson

4. harris

5. dillard

6. conklin

in that order. first clarification, over a 20 something time frame, that is a hell of a list of very good players.

let's not forget that dobbs, harris, johnson and conklin played much higher level competition (cusa in the hayday) with a lesser supporting cast and still succeeded. as to inferring jeff harris wasnt the team leader that conklin was or thinking he wasnt as tough, my oh my. harris was the team his senior year imo. i still remember huggy bear saying he would take jeff harris in a second to start at pf for his bearcat team. harris was a lion.

it was a shame jamal johnson wasnt here his whole career. he was an amazing talent. he too had no supporting cast was mugged every time he touched the ball.

q dillard was just clutch. he didnt look like much but at the end of the game he has his near double double, was hitting threes from the corner, getting the put backs, and made the free throws down the stretch to go ahead and had the big rebound to end the game kind of a guy. i loved quentin

we dont have to discuss bonner and dobbs. they start and end the great list of billiken power forwards over the last 25 years. what dobbs accomplished with his physical shortcomings was nothing short of amazing. and bonner is the king of all time.

I wish we had a Jamal Johnson on the '12-13 Bills.

Conklin was definitely better than the likes of Meyer, Sloan and Luechtefeld. How much playing time do you think those three guys would have gotten on last year's team? I would rank Conklin ahead of Harris and behind Dobbs.

-in my book Conklin gets a big advancement in his worth as he played a significant role on a tourney team

I was talking about Ryan, Jeff was a swingman.

Roy I can agree with your rankings, save for Dillard. Great player but more 3 than 4, like Evans rather than Conklin. I don't consider a guy 6'5 who shot barely over 40% for his career a PF. Dillard maybe had to guard the opposing PF but those late Grawer squads really played 4 guards and a big man. Dillard did play some 3 in Grawer's last season when Grawer would start Big Mel and Skinner at the same time until they left the team. Dillard was more of a 4 by default.

It is a toss up between Harris, Johnson, & Conklin. Johnson has just the 1 season but he dominated like no PF since Bonner in certain games. The game against LSU comes to mind 31 points in a game by a Billiken big man is extremely rare. I was never trying to denigrate Harris, he was a warrior but he was a good player on crappy teams. He carried the 96-97 squad nearly outrebounding the rest of the starting lineup by himself. But c'mon that team was awful, Caswell started games for crissake. Harris shot 42% that year too, while shooting just handful of shots outside 10 feet. Frankly the year harris & Johnson were together that team should have been better.

Conklin wasn't perfect, rebounding should have been much better, but his Sr year stacks up against any PF who's name isn't Dobbs or Bonner.

I was talking about Ryan, Jeff was a swingman.

Roy I can agree with your rankings, save for Dillard. Great player but more 3 than 4, like Evans rather than Conklin. I don't consider a guy 6'5 who shot barely over 40% for his career a PF. Dillard maybe had to guard the opposing PF but those late Grawer squads really played 4 guards and a big man. Dillard did play some 3 in Grawer's last season when Grawer would start Big Mel and Skinner at the same time until they left the team. Dillard was more of a 4 by default.

It is a toss up between Harris, Johnson, & Conklin. Johnson has just the 1 season but he dominated like no PF since Bonner in certain games. The game against LSU comes to mind 31 points in a game by a Billiken big man is extremely rare. I was never trying to denigrate Harris, he was a warrior but he was a good player on crappy teams. He carried the 96-97 squad nearly outrebounding the rest of the starting lineup by himself. But c'mon that team was awful, Caswell started games for crissake. Harris shot 42% that year too, while shooting just handful of shots outside 10 feet. Frankly the year harris & Johnson were together that team should have been better.

Conklin wasn't perfect, rebounding should have been much better, but his Sr year stacks up against any PF who's name isn't Dobbs or Bonner.

thanks torch, i think more or less we agree. and on the more side, dobbs and bonner were the true great billiken pf's.