West Coast Recruit

Awesome! Another guard!

Why hate on the backcourt signings? After JJ, JB and MM graduate we won't have the current abundance of guards. I agree that our most pressing immediate need would be a frontcourt player, but are we actually going to get a guy who can fill in right away? I would rather not be stuck starting multiple underclassmen at the guard positions in 14/15. For a guide to our team's classification, look below and you can see that we essentially lose our whole backcourt after next year's Juniors graduate.

SR

G - KM

F - CE, CR

JR

G - JJ, MM, JB

F - DE, RL

SO

F - JM, GG

FR

G - KC

F - JD

Maybe he can stand on another guard's shoulders block shots and rebound

From what I have read and looking at his stats this young man sounds like a taller California version of Kevin Lisch. A little under the radar but a fine player and shooter who is an excellent student with a very high basketball IQ and he averaged 23 points, 6 assists, 6 rebounds and 5 STEALS! Sounds like he could play the 3 if necessary against some of the three big guard lineups in the A10. In the short term I do not see what everyone is talking about with regard to the panic about having no big guys. In fact, Loe is really coming on, will only get bigger and stronger because he is only going to be a junior, Ellis is playing much tougher and will have a summer to get bigger, Cory R is maturing nicely and I expect him to have a much better senior year. He showed his toughness and athleticism against Michigan State. DE plays much bigger than his size and rebounds well and he is only just finishing his sophomore year. Manning is just a soph and is big and getting bigger and has excellent potential. GG is big and tough and could give us minutes in a pinch, and he is only a soph. Drew will add a nice athletic 3./4 man who has a huge wingspan and can shoot and rebound. My view is we should sign the best player we can find who will fit in with our system regardless of whether he is a "guard" or not.

Any chance he's being recruited as a preferred walk-on?

Not saying he won't be good just seems funny that we'd stumble on a kid from california with little interest from any other schools. I don't know though.

-billikan, thanks, i agree

-someone or some combination of our bigs will have to play and they all saw how neat the tourney was and how hard it was to get knocked out so i expect Conklin Summers from at least a couple

-if we can get a sharp shooter i say take him as i believe we miss too many open looks from all over the floor

I'd rather have Swopshire for 1 year solidifying us at PF for a tourney run in March 2013. After that tourney run, we'll be able to land much higher profile recruits than this kid.

Do we have any evidence we are even in on Swopshire? I thought someone posted he's gonna end up at WKY?

Guards are easy.

We need an athletic big. 6'9" or more. Either 260+ lb type, or a long leaner leaper type. Doesn't have to be a star.

Blocks / alters shots, gets rebs, stops the other team from taking it to the hoop. Doesn't have to be a great post up O player, just get 6-10 ppg and / or 6-10 rebs per game.

We never get those guys.

Same old same old.

We have several bigs. We have two guys who are legit 6'11" with real skill. We also have Ellis remekun and glaze. The only big we could get now that would contribute right away would be a guy like swopshire. If we can't get someone like him take the best available player.

Guards are easy.

We need an athletic big. 6'9" or more. Either 260+ lb type, or a long leaner leaper type. Doesn't have to be a star.

Blocks / alters shots, gets rebs, stops the other team from taking it to the hoop. Doesn't have to be a great post up O player, just get 6-10 ppg and / or 6-10 rebs per game.

We never get those guys.

Same old same old.

Guards are easy.

We never get those guys.

Same old same old.

Well just go out to the big athletic forward tree and pick one.