RickMa and SMU

Bishop

If I were our recruits coming in or I was the recruit that just came in, how could you not be pissed that RM is even looking? If he told me he was staying and guaranteed me that and then was entertaining this offer from SMU, I would be livid and not trust him anymore.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial thought on this issue was that Rick was flirting with SMU to give F. Biondi a lesson on the business side of major college athletics. Now I'm not so sure. Can't believe, given his age and health, he would want to take on another rebuilding job and in Texas of all places. But this appears serious.

For the last 5 years I have bought into everything Majerus has said.

He has sounded sincere, trustworthy, honest, and like a coach who truly cares about his players. But part of being a great college coach is being able to get people to believe what you are preaching. What you tell fans and recruits doesnt have to be true, as long as the recruits and fans think it is true.

In the end I dont expect him to leave. Maybe I am naive but I truly believe Majerus tells his players and recruits the truth. I believe he likes it here, cares about his team and staff and until he shows otherwise I believe him when he says he wants to be here.

That said, if he does leave he is nothing but a hypocrite and no different than the rest of the car salesman coaches out there.

I bet this turns out to be nothing but 32 years of disappointment has me prepared for the worst.

I know Majerus is a big Italian food guy but how does he feel about a big slice of beef?

Those Pony Fans actually seem pretty reasonable: http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60801&sid=bbd90e65791b8bd83f3539d6c1a32419&start=30

By the way, Steve: thank you for the layout of this board. Every time- every single freaking time- I venture to another message board I'm reminded of how nice this one is on the eyes.

We have been down this road before with Biondi - he gets in a self important snit and will be willing to throw the baby out with the bath water. I have generally been supportive of Biondi but maybe it is time for him to move on - sooner or later he has to understand that college athletics is big business and he can not run it as a small time program. Had he not been always trying to do it on the cheap years ago he could have had a big time program for a lot less then it is/will cost him in the future. Biondi have a Plan B - he has never had a Plan B for any other sports issue why would anyone think he has one now? May still has not found a women's BB coach - how long will it take him to find another men's coach? Carter would have to get a release ala Harrelson at Western IL. Not saying we won't give it to him but that is not something you can count on. The only employee who is indispensable to Biondi is Biondi - so yes we better be concerned. I am at a point now that I really have to reconsider my level of support for the Billiken Club and honestly whether I keep my season tix based on who they hire and what happens with the recruits.

I am in the camp that I think this is just for pay negotiations. Fetz has joked that Majerus will stay as long as he wants him to, well, how generous is the good Doctor?

Agreed, I believe Majerus is playing this year's role of Matt Painter. That being said, I'm not sure this about strictly money, but the other stuff (chartered flights, assistant's pay, etc.). He might also garner a raise out of this, but my thinking is he wants to stay and just make things a little easier on himself and his team in the process.

Would Majerus still have to stay one more year due to his contract, or could potentially leave immediately? (AKA could he get out of his contract?) I hope He is here for at least one more year....

Honestly, I don't think there is any way SLU will offer him $2M+. No chance.

I am quite honestly very pessimistic about him staying... I know he loves SLU, but to more than double your salary, you REALLY REALLY have to love a place...

We have been down this road before with Biondi - he gets in a self important snit and will be willing to throw the baby out with the bath water. I have generally been supportive of Biondi but maybe it is time for him to move on - sooner or later he has to understand that college athletics is big business and he can not run it as a small time program. Had he not been always trying to do it on the cheap years ago he could have had a big time program for a lot less then it is/will cost him in the future. Biondi have a Plan B - he has never had a Plan B for any other sports issue why would anyone think he has one now? May still has not found a women's BB coach - how long will it take him to find another men's coach? Carter would have to get a release ala Harrelson at Western IL. Not saying we won't give it to him but that is not something you can count on. The only employee who is indispensable to Biondi is Biondi - so yes we better be concerned. I am at a point now that I really have to reconsider my level of support for the Billiken Club and honestly whether I keep my season tix based on who they hire and what happens with the recruits.

i gave my tickets up for a year when they hired Sodie because i thought it was a step in the wrong direction. I will do it again to make a statement.

I am at a point now that I really have to reconsider my level of support for the Billiken Club and honestly whether I keep my season tix based on who they hire and what happens with the recruits.

That's essentially what i said in a long-winded letter to May. I doubt it does anything, but it was cathartic. This is genuinely a situation where I could see myself disappointed in both RM and the university.

Would Majerus still have to stay one more year due to his contract, or could potentially leave immediately? (AKA could he get out of his contract?) I hope He is here for at least one more year....

I am quite honestly very pessimistic about him staying... I know he loves SLU, but to more than double your salary, you REALLY REALLY have to love a place...

All coaches can leave whenever they want. Sometimes there are buyouts but rarely are they significant.

I still think its better than 50/50 he stays but he's certainly calling our bluff if we told him no material raises/extensions.

Agreed, I believe Majerus is playing this year's role of Matt Painter. That being said, I'm not sure this about strictly money, but the other stuff (chartered flights, assistant's pay, etc.). He might also garner a raise out of this, but my thinking is he wants to stay and just make things a little easier on himself and his team in the process.

I agree that it has to be more than just salary. BUT, did something change in the last 48 hours? The chartered flight are what they are. The assistant's pays are what they are. SLU is SLU and Biondi is Biondi. RM knew all this and has lived it, but in the past couple weeks in his interviews he says he loved it here and told recruits he was staying. So, unless something came up that we don't know about, I'm pissed he is even looking.

I just dont see RM leaving, unless RM and Biondi / May got into it the last few weeks.

Why the hell haven't we extended his contract? He was practically begging for an extension this season to the media, yet did anyone from the AD contact him? Nope. And yes, RM did have to pay for part of the Canada trip as well as for the Assistants salary. If I remember correctly, RM wanted to pay his assistants what they were worth and SLU's salary wasn't fair. Not to mention the guy doesn't get his chartered flights often and has to always be fighting for turf with the AD and Biondi.

Now he has an offer from SMU (big money) for $2Million + probably all the charter flights and buffets his little heart can desire with no fighting for turf.

I almost don't blame the guy. Think about if you are working at your current job and you make the company and your boss a ton of money, yet you get zero respect from your boss, no appreciation, and they wont give you a raise... you will probably take your talents elsewhere. This has a lot more to do then with money. I think this is RM wanting respect for what he does.

RM leaves I call for Biondi and May's head.

PS. We build an $81 Million dollar stadium and we ***** out on everything else. jesus!

Ill offered Smart of VCU $2mm and he decided to stay for his paltry $800k. If RM leaves he's money hungry. I'm in the camp that says he's using this as leverage for a bigger BB budget, a few more bucks for his wallet, and charter flights. If Fr. B cannot see his way clear to provide an extra mil or so to meet his demands then SLU deserves a 2nd class program.

I agree that it has to be more than just salary. BUT, did something change in the last 48 hours? The chartered flight are what they are. The assistant's pays are what they are. SLU is SLU and Biondi is Biondi. RM knew all this and has lived it, but in the past couple weeks in his interviews he says he loved it here and told recruits he was staying. So, unless something came up that we don't know about, I'm pissed he is even looking.

This interest from SMU just gives Majerus additional leverage to get the things he has always wanted. In some ways, I'll be glad if he can get them because I think these types of investments help make the program stronger.

I'll be mad at Majerus if he leaves despite SLU making a good-faith effort to keep him.

I'll be mad at SLU if they make no effort to retain him.

If I had to guess which of the two is more likely, I'd lean towards SLU being cheap.

Either way, as my brother pointed out, schools like SMU are ridiculous. They offer absurd contracts to coaches who would not typically be interested, which just drives up the prices for everyone else.

Obviously money would sway most, but this is a unique situation. Majerus is already rich, is 64 years old, has no children, has already invested 5 years into building his program and is finally seeing the payoff, would have to reinvest the same number of years at a school that he probably doesn't see eye-to-eye with ideologically/politically, has worse facilities, etc. If he didn't have to rebuild the SMU program, I might start thinking pessimistically like others on this board, but at this point in his life, I have to think that on-court success far outweighs money.

If he ******* about the A-10 conference travel schedule what do you think he will say when they go to the big east in 2013 with Boise State and San Diego State joining as well.

I've heard Gulf Stream jets are pretty nice, doesn't even feel like you are traveling. Probably will have an all you can eat buffet while on there too with a few nice looking ladies waiting on him.

-even if this is a lot of fretting over nothing it sucks

-we have seen in other threads and Rick said it on Costas' show the other day, in most cases kids go to a school to play for a coach, i hope we have Rick on our sidelines for a long time