The State of Billiken Nation

FANS:

- jbizzlemoytoy, nice try, I know you are good-good buddies, but USA soccer is sub par internationally.You two are so obvious.

- I never said to "give up", I just state that USA soccer is a failure. 27th? Ghana? Ireland? Bosnia?

Failure implies giving up

- Didn't we get knocked out of the Olympics? Couldn't cut the mustard. Here we go, "all we need is a little more speed, blah, blah, blah we are up and coming

Olympic Soccer is largely irrelevant, especially among the big soccer powers and is essentially a U-23 World Cup.

- The average MLB baseball score is 8-9 runs, avg soccer is 2.5, so don't give me that 1-0 baseball game garbage

I just don't understand the fixation on which sport scores more. You can't look at two sports played for entirely different time lengths(one with no clock) One is played over 3-4 hours with a large chunk of that including 0 playing. The other is played 90 minutes + a few with a 15 minute halftime.

- to the girl on this board... I never said soccer players weren't good athletes, I said it is a BORING game

To you

- goals in soccer are mostly random, set up a lob in front of the goal, 14-16 players take a swipe at it, sometimes a player gets a foot on it, and a goal

This is just plain idiotic. Yes, in CYC goals are random. At high levels a player crosses the ball to a certain spot or player so they can run onto it and head it in. It's strategy, just like in hockey where you play the puck to the point get a slapper towards the net and hope it gets tipped in.

- I root for SLU soccer, I went to a LOT of SLU soccer parties, a guy in my wedding was multi year all american soccer player for SLU, played pro in the NASL (I think that was what they called it), I tell him the same things.

cool story bro.

(GHANA? BOSNIA? IRELAND?)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skip: For the record, I stated our basketball team deserved about a 30 to 40 ranking before our incredible finish, now we deserve better, it is clear that we finished in the 20-28 range, give or take.

(just an observation, not a criticism: you tend to "skip" the facts and ramble with immature nonsense)

Ok ... 20-28, Isn't that about what our soccer team is ranked world wide? How come Billiken basketball ranked 20-28 is good and soccer ranked the same isn't?

Are you seriously taking a shot at anyone regarding skipping the facts? Now that is funny.

It is clear that no one on this board will make MB like Cookie Monster Ice Cream (cotton candy ice cream with Oreos and cookie dough at Serendity in Webster) i.e. - soccer. It is delightful and everyone in the world loves it. A slight few only like vanilla ice cream, missionary and plain baked potatoes (no salt, NO salt). MB is this guy. Soccer is outside his universe comfortably hidden amongst the rest of the world. He will never like nor appreciate it no matter how much you try to show the evidence.

It is clear that no one on this board will make MB like Cookie Monster Ice Cream (cotton candy ice cream with Oreos and cookie dough at Serendity in Webster) i.e. - soccer. It is delightful and everyone in the world loves it. A slight few only like vanilla ice cream, missionary and plain baked potatoes (no salt, NO salt). MB is this guy. Soccer is outside his universe comfortably hidden amongst the rest of the world. He will never like nor appreciate it no matter how much you try to show the evidence.

We like to refer to ourselves as Common-taters. Thank you. :)

Slovakia? Suriname? Belize? Just felt the need to reel off a few random countries. I have no real reason to do it. Reality.

All of Suriname's best players end up playing for the Netherlands. Davids, Winter, Hasselbank, etc. Reality.

Skip: For the record, I stated our basketball team deserved about a 30 to 40 ranking before our incredible finish, now we deserve better, it is clear that we finished in the 20-28 range, give or take.

(just an observation, not a criticism: you tend to "skip" the facts and ramble with immature nonsense)

MB. Please recap our "incredible finish" in that I must have missed it. Sure seems like we were a good and solid team all year long and the "finish" really wasn't the best part of our season. As I recall, we started with 8 great wins (over "name schools" like Washington and neutral court wins over Villanova and Oklahoma as well as road win over rival SIUC which has been a really tough place to play for us) before the disappointing game against LMU. Then we beat the 6 games we were supposed to win before losing both road games at Dayton and at New Mexico. We then won some league games (including road wins at Charlotte and at X) before losing at UMass. We then won the rest of our league games (good wins over St. Bona) and good road wins at St. Joe and Lasalle before the disappointing loss to lowly Rhode Island. Then, we rebounded well and enjoyed a nice come from behind home win against X before closing the season out at Duquesne. Then, we won our first A10 tourney game before losing to X. In the NCAA, we beat a good and comparable team in Memphis and played strong against Michigan State before losing.

In short, before the NCAA Tourney, we won 3 of our last 5 games (that also means we lost 2 our last 5 games) for a 60% winning percentage. Then, we won 1 out of 2 in the NCAA Tourney (that would be a 50% winning percentage). Combined, that would be us winning 4 of our last 7 games (or losing 3 of our last 7 games). Sure, we had 6 wins before this but how far back do we go regarding the our "finish"? February 1st??

MB. Please recap our "incredible finish" in that I must have missed it. Sure seems like we were a good and solid team all year long and the "finish" really wasn't the best part of our season. As I recall, we started with 8 great wins (over "name schools" like Washington and neutral court wins over Villanova and Oklahoma as well as road win over rival SIUC which has been a really tough place to play for us) before the disappointing game against LMU. Then we beat the 6 games we were supposed to win before losing both road games at Dayton and at New Mexico. We then won some league games (including road wins at Charlotte and at X) before losing at UMass. We then won the rest of our league games (good wins over St. Bona) and good road wins at St. Joe and Lasalle before the disappointing loss to lowly Rhode Island. Then, we rebounded well and enjoyed a nice come from behind home win against X before closing the season out at Duquesne. Then, we won our first A10 tourney game before losing to X. In the NCAA, we beat a good and comparable team in Memphis and played strong against Michigan State before losing.

In short, before the NCAA Tourney, we won 3 of our last 5 games (that also means we lost 2 our last 5 games) for a 60% winning percentage. Then, we won 1 out of 2 in the NCAA Tourney (that would be a 50% winning percentage). Combined, that would be us winning 4 of our last 7 games (or losing 3 of our last 7 games). Sure, we had 6 wins before this but how far back do we go regarding the our "finish"? February 1st??

Those wins at Charlotte and X propelled us into the NCAA Tournament. We get buried into NIT or CBI Land without them.

Either way, good posts, Clock.

20-28?? give or take??...So if you "give" a few from 20th that brings the Bills down to the 15th I have.. So after 3 months you have finally come to my level. Whew...that was painful.. I think the thread that pushed you over the edge was back in Jan. when I made the"ridiculous" statement "from outer space" .....the post thread was titled ..."the Bills are an elite team".. I believe it was that thread that drove you to vodka. You say in this current thread quoting your past statements "for the record we deserved a 30 to 40". You seem to be big on "reality". The reality of the Jan thread is you posted we are a 60th team. It was in that same thread you refer to KenP as "ca-ca", Sagarin as "erratic" and the Wiz as "done". You further said you wouldn't be a believer unless we went 9-2 (We actually went 9-2). Your big thing is reality. Your reality is not that important but but changing your statements after the fact is neither reality or truth. Unlike general opinated statements (the PD is a "commie rag") numbers are easy to quantify and check in retrospect. I should know. I have been doing it all season (and previous seasons). I put my spreads out there always before Vegas and usually before most pundits. I call those rankings the way I see them. I don't come back after the game and say I had Bills winning if I had them down by 3...or I meant the Bills were really 28th.(give or take) I try to be consistent. In Jan. I said we were 15th and at the end of March we are still 15th. The only thing that has changed is you are now in agreement with me .."give or take".

My sense is you have not watched the Bills through the front windshield but rather through the rearview mirror.

20-28?? give or take??...So if you "give" a few from 20th that brings the Bills down to the 15th I have.. So after 3 months you have finally come to my level. Whew...that was painful.. I think the thread that pushed you over the edge was back in Jan. when I made the"ridiculous" statement "from outer space" .....the post thread was titled ..."the Bills are an elite team".. I believe it was that thread that drove you to vodka. You say in this current thread quoting your past statements "for the record we deserved a 30 to 40". You seem to be big on "reality". The reality of the Jan thread is you posted we are a 60th team. It was in that same thread you refer to KenP as "ca-ca", Sagarin as "erratic" and the Wiz as "done". You further said you wouldn't be a believer unless we went 9-2 (We actually went 9-2). Your big thing is reality. Your reality is not that important but but changing your statements after the fact is neither reality or truth. Unlike general opinated statements (the PD is a "commie rag") numbers are easy to quantify and check in retrospect. I should know. I have been doing it all season (and previous seasons). I put my spreads out there always before Vegas and usually before most pundits. I call those rankings the way I see them. I don't come back after the game and say I had Bills winning if I had them down by 3...or I meant the Bills were really 28th.(give or take) I try to be consistent. In Jan. I said we were 15th and at the end of March we are still 15th. The only thing that has changed is you are now in agreement with me .."give or take".

My sense is you have not watched the Bills through the front windshield but rather through the rearview mirror.

As Backhand would say, MB is down for the count!

We were 4-3 in the A-10, struggling, but finished 8-1 for a 12-4. That was the incredible finish. Alone in second place. We needed that to get "in".

Yep, you missed it.

You overranked them dramatically, 13th - 14th or so, when they really deserved 35-40, at the time they were 4-3 in the A-10.

Then they went 8-1 including several nice road games to get 2nd place in the A-10, which is huge, got them in the NCAA's and they handily beat a strong Memphis team and kept it close against powerhouse Michigan State, so they earned it.

That idiot KenPom still has us 14th, ridiculous.

You could argue with W/L + stats + SOS + all available data that SLU could be anywhere from 20-28 at this point. If I had to pick a number I would give us 25th.

SO?

Ok ... 20-28, Isn't that about what our soccer team is ranked world wide? How come Billiken basketball ranked 20-28 is good and soccer ranked the same isn't?

Are you seriously taking a shot at anyone regarding skipping the facts? Now that is funny.

You are comparing SLU NCAA basketball to FIFA global soccer? Oh yes, you never took college finance, this is not an "apple to apple" comparison. In fact, it is a ridiculous comparison.

Say, explain how we are # 1 and # 2 in so many sports but # 27 in soccer... behind little Ireland, Ghana, Greece, Cote D'Ivoire (wtf is that?), Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, etc....

We'd kill them in football, baseball, boxing, hockey, swimming, track and field, boxing, most all of the big name sports. Why # 27? Explain, Skip.

Are you really as mentally challenged as you come accross? Or is your billikens.com persona just a sick joke?

The USA is ranked higher against the rest of the world in the sports you mentioned than they are in soccer. Did anyone ever say they weren't. All we are saying is they aren't as bad as you make them out to be. They are in the top 15% in the world in their sport and have some good games against the best in the world and yet you think that makes them so bad it's ridiculous to enjoy watching them and to root for them. However over the last 10 years the Billikens have rarely been in the top 15% of their sport, but to you it makes perfect sense to root for them. That is the comparison I was making which I'm sure was clear to everyone except you. WTF would taking college finance have to do with what we are talking about? Oh nevermind, I'm sure you will have some twisted way rationalizing it.