OT: Temple in Big East Talks

slufan13

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally agree with this. I think whichever conference has X and UD makes it the better choice (kind of a "duh" comment).

But you raise a bigger point, does the MVC have a better TV deal for SLU? It seems MVC games are generally on Fox Sports MW at the same time we are scrambling to find SLU on some online stream.

I don't watch enough...err...any MVC games. Are the officials any better?

Xavier and Dayton go to the valley on the same day the gates to hell crack open......

I generally agree with this. I think whichever conference has X and UD makes it the better choice (kind of a "duh" comment).

But you raise a bigger point, does the MVC have a better TV deal for SLU? It seems MVC games are generally on Fox Sports MW at the same time we are scrambling to find SLU on some online stream.

I don't watch enough...err...any MVC games. Are the officials any better?

Not entirely sure about the TV thing. The MVC does have a deal with Fox Sports Regional, which would be very good. I also think it'd be easier for local networks to send crews and get us on local TV.

I also don't watch many MVC games, but it's impossible for the officiating to be worse.

I don't know how this evolved into a straight MVC vs. A-10 discussion, but I do believe that the A-10 without X, UD, and Temple is inferior to the MVC as a basketball conference. Throw in geography, the A-10's crappy television contract, and their crappy officials, it's even more favorable towards the MVC.

Hopefully, Temple will stay or the A-10 will add Butler or another quality bball only program.

This.

I think many people on here just see MVC and immediately think 'I don't want anything to do with it!'. I don't want to be the only one joining the Valley, but if there was a chance that X, Dayton and maybe even Butler joined along with us, then that of course becomes a whole other animal.

Maybe Temple doesn't leave. Or maybe Butler is the replacement for Temple in the A-10. But if those don't happen, and X and Dayton decide to look elsewhere, we need to join up with them and figure out the best scenario. And joining the Valley with them, and making it a bigger, better conference is a pretty decent option.

This.

I think many people on here just see MVC and immediately think 'I don't want anything to do with it!'. I don't want to be the only one joining the Valley, but if there was a chance that X, Dayton and maybe even Butler joined along with us, then that of course becomes a whole other animal.

Maybe Temple doesn't leave. Or maybe Butler is the replacement for Temple in the A-10. But if those don't happen, and X and Dayton decide to look elsewhere, we need to join up with them and figure out the best scenario. And joining the Valley with them, and making it a bigger, better conference is a pretty decent option.

I'll even take it another level. I believe that the MVC with SLU, UD, X, and Butler might be a superior basketball conference to the A-10 in its current form.

I'll even take it another level. I believe that the MVC with SLU, UD, X, and Butler might be a superior basketball conference to the A-10 in its current form.

I'd agree with that 100%. Every conference will always have a dog or two, but the MVC doesn't have anything as consistently bad as Fordham.

Again, reality is a lot of MVC is hoosierville and SOME people on this board have higher hopes for SLU. Not just on the basketball court, but on name recognition and as an academic powerhouse.

MVC will solidify our spot as an average Midwest school that no one has ever heard of and is only able to recruit STUDENTS from 300 miles away, much less able to recruit GREAT PLAYERS to come play Evansville in the big time spot light... Good grief... some people just love being mediocre.

MVC will solidify our spot as an average Midwest school that no one has ever heard of and is only able to recruit STUDENTS from 300 miles away, much less able to recruit GREAT PLAYERS to come play Evansville in the big time spot light... Good grief... some people just love being mediocre.

People keep using Evansville and/or Drake as examples of schools that would be crappy games, but they're no worse than playing Fordham or St. Bonaventure. It's the same argument in reverse that the SLU supporters use when the average STL Today poster says I can't excited about watching SLU play Fordham or St. Bonaventure.

People keep using Evansville and/or Drake as examples of schools that would be crappy games, but they're no worse than playing Fordham or St. Bonaventure. It's the same argument in reverse that the SLU supporters use when the average STL Today poster says I can't excited about watching SLU play Fordham or St. Bonaventure.

Good point, SShoe.

Just to help reiterate the point...we aren't comparing the MVC with the A-10 on how they exist CURRENTLY. This is merely a discussion on a possible scenario where X, Dayton and SLU left the A-10 and joined and expanded the MVC. At that point, the MVC becomes an entirely different conference. If you throw in Butler and and do a slight name change of the conference (say, The Valley), then you see a conference that is at the same level, if not better, than the current A-10. And for those who care, you would also have more private (8) schools than public (6).

Alright. I will appoint myself as general spokesman for X and UD and pontificate the following:

First, while things can certainly change, recall that X and UD joined the A10 when we ran off with DePaul and Marquette to Great Midwest/Conf USA. X and UD would be (and were) fine in the A10 without SLU. Don't assume there will be some really great "Catholic loyalty" toward us when we chose their hated rival, Cincy, over both of them. Before Great Midwest, UD and Cincy had a good home-away series each year with Cincy.

Second, geography is not so bad in the A10 for X and UD as it is for SLU. Dayton, OH can realistically be considered a distant suburb of Cincinnati and is included in the greater Cincy TV market for professional sports such as Reds baseball games and Bengals football games. Unlike St. Louis, Pittsburgh (Duquesne) is only a 4 hour drive for them and while neither UD nor X consider Duquesne their biggest rival, the cities of Cincy and Pittsburgh are certainly rival cities, in general, including sports. Starting 350 miles closer than us here in St. Louis, travel to the East Coast is still tough but more realistic.

Third, as previously mentioned with SLU/Fr. Biondi, both X and UD want to expand their presence (future students, alumni, etc.) to the East Coast. Neither UD nor X are interested in attracting students from Southern IL, southwestern MO, Nebraska and Iowa and are really only interested in students/alumni from Chicago and not from the rest of the state of IL.

Fourth, UD's basketball program (going back to their glory years in the 1960's, 1970's and through the 1985 "Roosevelt Chapman" years when they liked to say they made it to the "Final Five" - last team eliminated from the Elite Eight, had recruiting pipelines to New York City and the East Coast. In short, UD and X look to NY like we look to Chicago.

Thank you.

Clock_Tower - the self appoited spokesmen for X and UD.

Now excuse me as I have to take off this tight sweater vest.

The reason SLU didn't join the MVC had nothing to do with the quality of basketball in the MVC. The problems with the MVC then are still the problems with the MVC today.

That's rather vague. Do you mean the "problems" the MVC had when SLU left or the "problems" the MVC had when SLU left C-USA? Also, what "problems" are you referring to? Sure, the Valley hasn't been the same since Tulsa left, but all conferences have peaks and valleys, no pun intended.

Posted Image

Again, reality is a lot of MVC is hoosierville and SOME people on this board have higher hopes for SLU. Not just on the basketball court, but on name recognition and as an academic powerhouse.

Let's join the Ivy League. I suppose we could always go to the Patriot league if we wanted to keep scholarship athletes, but that might be conceding that we aren't a top national university.

That's rather vague. Do you mean the problems the MVC had when SLU left or the problems the MVC had when SLU left C-USA? Also, what "problems" are you referring to?

The problems when we left CUSA. The problems I am talking about are the MVC's footprint and the make up of it's institutions.

I think we should join the Pac 12. We would dominate.

No no. Good students only come from the east coast. And there are too many public schools.

Although we could look forward to a matchup between RM and his old employer.

Really, I like them over Fordham, St. B, Duq, and LaSalle. I could go to some road games and the home crowds would be bigger. And Bradley is having an awful year, but they have had some success lately.

No question that you can get to a road game eaiser in the Valley but no our attendance will not be better - this has been discussed many times, when we play a Valley team our home attendance does not increase that much except when we schedule SMS on Winter Break.

For me SBU, DU, LS, URI are not worse then playing Bradley, Evansville, Ind. State, ILS - they are the same but if staying in the A10 leaves us more long term options then I can put up with those teams.

I thought you weren't a big believer in computer rankings.

That is not what I have ever written. I say RPI is decent, probably the gold standard, and since it is used by the NCAA selection committee it is therefore the most relevant for us to follow, but certainly not perfect. It is respectable and close to the true rankings based upon W-L, SOS, top 25-50 wins, quality wins on the road, and the quality of good / bad losses. And I say KenPom and Sagarin and The Wiz models are much more inaccurate than RPI because they allow for huge variances based upon inherently flawed mathematical assumptions.

Absolutely, it would be so much better for us...

I would take SLU and 2 of those 3 into the MVC (UD, X, or Butler) then we would have something.

(If Temple leaves, and A-10 starts to break apart... that is the reason for this discussion... where would we go?)

I called you self righteous because you characterized the Missouri Valley as hooterville. Not sure if you realize it, but you live in the Missouri Valley (as evidenced by the fact that the MVC tournament is in St. Louis.) I have no quarrel with you wanting SLU to be the best Catholic university in the US. That sounds like a great goal.

have you been to terre haute, peoria, carbondale, springfield, etc recently?

Let me first say that I have nothing against the Valley. It's a good brand of basketball. I have been known to turn on an SIUC-Creighton game when both teams are good. However, the correlation between the A-10 and MVC when it comes to academics is non-existent. I know College Rankings aren't an exact science or the end-all be-all of deciding factors, and I am not trying to be a snob, I am merely regurgitating factual information to show the disparity in academic prowess between the two Conferences. A few of my family members have gone to Valley schools and loved it, so this is not an indictment on the quality education either...

Atlantic 10

National Universities

George Washington- 50

Fordham- 53

SLU- 90 (Begrudgingly)

UMass- 94

Dayton- 101

Duquesne- 119

Temple- 132

Rhode Island- 160

Charlotte- 194

Regional Universities (MW)

Xavier- 4

Regional Universities (N)

St. Josephs- 8

St. Bonaventure- 32

LaSalle- 41

Liberal Arts Colleges

14. Richmond- 27

Missouri Valley

National Universities

Illinois State- 160

SIUC- 170

Indiana State- Not Ranked

Wichita State- Not Ranked

Regional (MW)

Creighton- 1

Drake 3

Bradley-6

Evansville-9

Northern Iowa- 16

Missouri State- 53

The mere fact that the Valley has 6 schools (60%) categorized as Regional Universities is cause for concern in my eyes. I do not want SLU to regress into a perceived regional university. The addition of X, UD, and perhaps Butler would help tremendously, but not enough to sway the overall conference composition...

Also, what would be the problem with a Temple-less A-10? I wouldn't mind dominating a weaker conference for a while as long as we get NCAA appearances. Butler and Gonzaga have parlayed that formula into a combined 20 NCAA bids over the past 11 years...