OT: Temple in Big East Talks

slufan13

The mere fact that the Valley has 6 schools (60%) categorized as Regional Universities is cause for concern in my eyes. I do not want SLU to regress into a perceived regional university. The addition of X, UD, and perhaps Butler would help tremendously, but not enough to sway the overall conference composition...

The difference between regional and national just means that one offers only masters and the other offers doctorate level studies. I don't think SLU offering PhD,MD, and JD programs would be affected by the athletics conference.

Butler and X aren't exactly academic powerhouses either.

I do understand a bit your point on the perception, but ultimately a great basketball conference will trump academic perceptions.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have you been to terre haute, peoria, carbondale, springfield, etc recently?

Roy you should really get up to Peoria sometime soon. We had indoor plumbing installed about 6 weeks ago. Rumor has it that the installers were heading towards the Collinsville/Edwardsville area soon, so that is a plus for the east side.

Also - we are getting a nifty new cable tv system next week. An economic resurgence of sorts.

The difference between regional and national just means that one offers only masters and the other offers doctorate level studies. I don't think SLU offering PhD,MD, and JD programs would be affected by the athletics conference.

Butler and X aren't exactly academic powerhouses either.

I do understand a bit your point on the perception, but ultimately a great basketball conference will trump academic perceptions.

I am completely aware of the distinction between regional and national universities, and I was not implying that SLU is going to change its degree structure, I was merely pointing out that being lumped in with largely regional universities would create the same perception of SLU...

Butler and X are pretty good academically (Butler is 2nd in the MW Region)...better than most of the Valley schools...

I agree, great basketball conferences will trump academics...the only problem is, I don't see any great conferences knocking on our door any time soon...and the Valley sure isn't that...

have you been to terre haute, peoria, carbondale, springfield, etc recently?

Your logic is flawed:

- you live in Belleville for Christsake

- most all college towns are small and not too exciting

- what advantage is it for SLU to go all the way to big bad Phildelphia then play in LaSalle's hoosier high school gym?

I agree, great basketball conferences will trump academics...the only problem is, I don't see any great conferences knocking on our door any time soon...and the Valley sure isn't that...

But I don't think any of this discussion was of SLU just straight out joining the Valley as it sits now. I don't see that as a great option for SLU, and I honestly don't see why the MVC would see it that way either. However if it were a SLU-X-Dayton combo, then you have something.

I believe best case scenario for everything from non-rev sports to academics is some sort of combo of MVC-A10-BE Basketball schools. DePaul, Marquette, Bradley, Creighton, X, Dayton, SLU make the base of a pretty solid conference up and down.

Roy you should really get up to Peoria sometime soon. We had indoor plumbing installed about 6 weeks ago. Rumor has it that the installers were heading towards the Collinsville/Edwardsville area soon, so that is a plus for the east side.

Also - we are getting a nifty new cable tv system next week. An economic resurgence of sorts.

well and to be honest, i have to admit we got nothing to compare to big al's.

Your logic is flawed: - you live in Belleville for Christsake - most all college towns are small and not too exciting - what advantage is it for SLU to go all the way to big bad Phildelphia then play in LaSalle's hoosier high school gym?

as far as i know comparing the fact i live in hooterville as well so i can still be close to my 84 year old mother has nothing to do with the decision on what conference a college participates in.

i'd really like to meet you some day. i get the impression it would be a conversation for the ages. not saying i know any of the obc members or anything, but if i could make a lunch happen with the old boys club would there be any chance we i mean they could get you as the featured speaker for the meeting? attendance would be through the roof.

well and to be honest, i have to admit we got nothing to compare to big al's.

Is Big Al's still there? Now we're talking!

Big Al's is still here. However Big Al's in its current form is threatened by a hotel project being propped up by the city council. Although they have had a resurgence in talent lately. It is like the Spoonabll days in there.

as far as i know comparing the fact i live in hooterville as well so i can still be close to my 84 year old mother has nothing to do with the decision on what conference a college participates in. i'd really like to meet you some day. i get the impression it would be a conversation for the ages. not saying i know any of the obc members or anything, but if i could make a lunch happen with the old boys club would there be any chance we i mean they could get you as the featured speaker for the meeting? attendance would be through the roof.

I think we should do it. Let me know. Save time, ask MB73.

Yes, AP is 35+.

Hey, stupider than us going to the A-10: Mizzou to the SEC. It would have been better to have joined a league in Croatia or Serbia. I have bets all over with MU alum in football, they all say Mizzou will go better than .500, 5-3 in the SEC next year in football. I can't get them to increase their bets. Anything you need to know, I will help.

JFK? The British Empire was behind it.

I already consider it an embarrassment that SLU has dropped from 70 to 90 in the rankings since i was a freshman. It is also insanely frustrating having to explain to people from other offices in big cities what "St. Louis University" is. Most of them think it is a community college at first in case you were wondering. Joining the Valley will be another death nail in any aspirations to be bigger then the STL metro.

Mizzou is tied with us at 90 in the ranking btw....

Mizzou plays Georgia, Bama, Vandy, and Kentucky at home, and Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M, and South Carolina on the road this year. Looks like a good bet to me that they won't win 5 of those.

I know, several top 10 teams plus some tough road games... think the SEC refs will give MU any good calls?

Notice briansl did not offer to make the wager. Just unfounded smart ass remarks.

Mizzou plays Georgia, Bama, Vandy, and Kentucky at home, and Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M, and South Carolina on the road this year. Looks like a good bet to me that they won't win 5 of those.

I would love to know who the five losses are. Georgia has a history of starting the season poorly under Richt. Mizzou has won at College Station two years in a row. Tennessee is nothing special at all. Vandy is at home. Kentucky is bad. I see two sure losses Bama/SC on that schedule and one probable at Florida.

Mizzou needs to thank whoever placed them in the SEC East.

I know, several top 10 teams plus some tough road games... think the SEC refs will give MU any good calls?

Notice briansl did not offer to make the wager. Just unfounded smart ass remarks.

I will put $20 on it. I would feel better about just betting that Mizzou will finish at least .500.

of course there is. i am sure a 200 mile radius is still our core student base. but the facts are that the fastest growing areas of student enrollment are the east coasts metropolitan areas, and ohio . if you want to call that self-righteous so be it.

i can tell you that a couple of weekends ago when i assisted with presidential scholarships, out of the eight candidates i talked to, only two were within same day driving distance. sure that is a small sample size, but i seriously doubt slu folks said, "give billiken roy all the east coast kids to talk to."

I actually scheduled it that way :blink:

jk.

I would love to know who the five losses are. Georgia has a history of starting the season poorly under Richt. Mizzou has won at College Station two years in a row. Tennessee is nothing special at all. Vandy is at home. Kentucky is bad. I see two sure losses Bama/SC on that schedule and one probable at Florida.

Mizzou needs to thank whoever placed them in the SEC East.

More for your resume.

You don't know football, either.

LOSS Georgia is loaded, future NFL QB, future NFL beef all over. 17-18 returning starters, their # 1 RB will be healthy he was out a lot + they got one of the top RB recruits in the USA, some say # 1. I worry about suspensions, though.

LOSS Alabama will crush MU; just hope they are not pissed off.

LOSS Tennessee is strong except had QB problems and they solved that late in the yr, tough road game.

LOSS A&M is loaded, their coach was an idiot, they have a new one. Road game. Best chance for win of predicted LOSSes.

LOSS Flordia will be healthy again, plenty of NFL beef; beating them on the road.. forgetaboutit.

LOSS South Carolina... on the road... plenty of NFL beef on that team, too.

WIN VD is going to be tough, but that one is very winnable. New coach and attitude, had good 2011.

WIN KY... had a bad yr, but do not underestimate them, last 4-5 yrs before 2011, they were tough.