OT: Temple in Big East Talks

slufan13

The following was posted on a providence board. The poster is on the president's council at PC, so he gets more official word than most.

Begin quoted material....

I am not sure WVU "lost" their appeal. They did not prevail in the case filed in WV - although I am not sure that was actually litigated. In the BE suit filed in RI, the judge ordered the BE and WVU to mediate a settlement.

As I read the settlement, WVU got out early however it cost them a fortune in $$$. My take is theBE made out really well financially. The B12 paid a big chunk of the WV money because they really needed WVU in next year after their losses of teams the past two years.

The BE is OK now in both FB and BB however it may well be that the FB schools do eventually leave.

I do not hear any BB schools will be added unless/until a split happens. Mike T is on boaard in the event a split does happen and then X etc. will be in play.

12 FB schools means a playoff game in yankee stadium, more TV money for FB and BB and the league seems to have survived this latest Xstorm

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people really suggesting they would rather be in a conference of the following teams:

St. Joes, LaSalle, Umass, Duq, St. Bon, Richmond, Charlotte, GW, Fordham and RI

over a conference with

Creighton, Wichita St., Missouri St. SIU, Northern Iowa, Illinois St. Drake, Indiana St. Evansville and Bradley.

If Xavier and Dayton came with, that is the decision one would be making...

Are people really suggesting they would rather be in a conference of the following teams:

over a conference with

Creighton, Wichita St., Missouri St. SIU, Northern Iowa, Illinois St. Drake, Indiana St. Evansville and Bradley.

Honestly, both are unappealing.

over a conference with

Absolutly...

Not so much Creighton, obviously.

But look at all those "second fiddle" schools there... Schools with "state" in the name. Not highly thought of acedmically, endowment wise, or in legacy.

The A10 is troublesome with distance but SLU fits the mold of X, Dayton, St. Joe's, LaSalle, even Richmond without the religious tilt: Midsize schools, with good, if not great, academic reputations with above average endowments, passionate fan bases, with a want to compete with the BCS in athletics and academic prestige.

Question: A while ago the President's of St. Joe's, Dayton, X, and Biondi and May himself had a teleconference discussing conference realignment. What came of that? Was it a rumor?

I think X and Dayton realize the growing rivalry they have with us, their shared geographical issues with us and the A10, and their shared profiles as institutions, whatever happens I see these three sticking together.

lol yeah I thought so, but there are people reading this board who think SLU is dumb for NOT being in the MVC.

Only the alums old enough to remember going up gainst the big " O" Oscar Robertson with Cincy, Louisville, etc.

Today's Valley is watered down-

"The church league" has a good ring with the right teams. Who knows where N. Iowa is? Evansville Aces would be like playing

Cardinal Strich home and home.

The MVC died with Easy Ed's team 1948.

over a conference with

This is where we can have all kinds of fun with scenarios and such. As I stated in an earlier post, the Valley becomes a lot more appealing if you add X and Dayton along with SLU. SLU on its own? No way. I do not want to be a part of that conference. But, X, Dayton and SLU, along with the present configuration? Hell yes. That becomes a pretty nice basketball conference, and one that is a good geographical fit. Here is what this potential conference would look like:

SLU

X

Dayton

Wichita St.

MO State

Creighton

Bradley

SIU

Drake

Illinois St.

Indiana St.

Evansville

Northern Iowa

That is 13 teams. You can always have another team be potentially added into this conference (Butler would be the best possible choice, naturally) to make it 14. If you are able to get Butler into the mix, then you have a really good conference, one that would be considered superior to the A-10 as it stands now. But, even if Butler wouldn't come along, it would still be a good conference. And for those concerned about the 'public' universities involved with this conference, you would actually have more private institutions (7) than state schools (6) under this configuration. Add Butler, and it becomes 8 to 6.

Of course, this is all just conjecture with no basis in anything close to facts, but it sure is fun. :) And to add, if X and Dayton want to stay put, SLU should not be looking to leave. This is all if X and Dayton were to contact SLU about leaving the A-10.

Maybe it was said earlier but Biondi has stated several times he likes the A-10 because it brings SLU to the eastern market--he wants to attract kids with good academics to SLU. Being in an all Catholic league wont accomplish that goal. He'll be bidding for students in markets all ready saturated.

While we're at it, this was posted on the A-10 board:

Re: Temple gone to Big East

If we are losing Temple, I say the A10 makes a preemptive strike, crushing the CAA and building the A10 to 16 by taking VCU, ODU and GMU. You get two recent final fours, and the consistent top three teams from the CAA. We divide the A10 into two 8 team divisions.

North

UMass

URI

SBU

Fordham

Duqusne

Dayton

Xavier

St. Louis

South

Charlotte

ODU

VCU

Richmond

GMU

GWU

St. Joe's

LaSalle

Dayton fans believe the Big East is going to ask them to join. I can't see them wanting anything to do with any version of the Valley. Xavier I already said won't go mid-major and that is what the Valley is. Plus, they don't consider Dayton asmuch their rival as Dayton does them. Ain't going to happen.

Count me in the group that prefers like-minded schools over Northern Iowa and Illinois State.

While we're at it, this was posted on the A-10 board:

Re: Temple gone to Big East

If we are losing Temple, I say the A10 makes a preemptive strike, crushing the CAA and building the A10 to 16 by taking VCU, ODU and GMU. You get two recent final fours, and the consistent top three teams from the CAA. We divide the A10 into two 8 team divisions.

North

UMass

URI

SBU

Fordham

Duqusne

Dayton

Xavier

St. Louis

South

Charlotte

ODU

VCU

Richmond

GMU

GWU

St. Joe's

LaSalle

Do we really want to be in a conference with four teams in the state of Virginia?

Dayton fans believe the Big East is going to ask them to join. I can't see them wanting anything to do with any version of the Valley. Xavier I already said won't go mid-major and that is what the Valley is. Plus, they don't consider Dayton asmuch their rival as Dayton does them. Ain't going to happen.

Count me in the group that prefers like-minded schools over Northern Iowa and Illinois State.

Dayton fans are delusional if they believe that a Big East invite is imminent.

@brian --- didn't say immenent. But they believe their basketball is a "storied" program and a gem for anyone to get. Where else can you guarantee 13,000 fans per game per night? I agree, delusional. But that is their attitude just the same.

@brian --- didn't say immenent. But they believe their basketball is a "storied" program and a gem for anyone to get. Where else can you guarantee 13,000 fans per game per night? I agree, delusional. But that is their attitude just the same.

Dayton now leads the A10 in preseason titles and fantasy Big East invitations.

What on earth makes people believe that SLU could persuade Dayton and Xavier to leave the A10 and join the Valley?

There is no way they are intrested in joining the Valley. They were not intrested when they went to A10 years ago and what would have changed their opinion since?

Let Temple go... puhleeze. End the madness. The Beast will eventually fold as the BCS will look at their FB lineup and go, are you kidding? Lets have SLU lead the way like we did for the Great Midwest, just don't call it that. Call it, The Left Over Conference. .Charlotte will be looking for a new home as they've added FB. The Beast is not likely, but also the Beast BB only powers have to be scratching their heads saying, what's happened to our conference? No Cuse, no Pitt, no WV, soon to be no UConn, UL, UC. Now we get UCF, TCU, et al? Get smart forget the Papal deal and just add the best BB only schools left standing. Twp divisions: East /Midwest and we know who those schools are. Get 'er done, someone.

I agree SLU needs to be making proactive moves with schools that do not have football. Big time football controls this entire process and is going to push the other guys (SLU) around. I cannot say this enough we cannot be left waiting for things to happen. We have to be ready and be on the same page as the other BB only schools.