GDT: SLU v. Duq.

moytoy12

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when was jake barnett in earlier? the stats say he has a rebound. must have been when I was out of the room for two minutes.

he came for Cassity earlier and got one during the last two minutes

How did they figure 10 rebounds? He had 6 rebounds on 2 series alone. I would guess he had more like 16 or 17 rebounds.

Rich Gould must have been tonight's official scorer. Maybe he missed a few while he was praising Elgin Baylor's hangtime. Timely. At least he only referred to SLU as the "Blues" once in the 1st half.

This was a strange game. We got all the breaks. The ball just seemed to always go to a Billiken. 40 foot 3s with 0 on the shot clock, Mitchell gets an O board with 1 hand while he's on the gorund, Cassity makes a 3, Remuken drawing multiple charges, Conklin getting assists while he's running out of bounds. Hope this carries over into the Xavier game, we'll need all the help we can get.

Evans was the star. Double double, set the tone on the first possesion. We have to give it up to future NBA star Kyle Cassity though. What a performance tonight. He took open shots, not only that he dribbled towards the basket. It was amazing to see.

Casssity first time scoring in double figures since Portland on Dec 3rd. First time he made 4 FGs since Villanova 11/25. First time he's made a 3 pointer since Vermont 12/07. That's 9 games without a 3 pointer, 46 DAYS without a 3 pointer. During those 9 games and 46 days he went 0-14 from beyond the arc.

Since Majerus sat him, McCall has shot 55% from the field.

Remuken has continued his upward trend. Provided energy and didn't make any huge mistakes tonight. Season high 16 minutes.

I think Conklin's pick of McConnell was even better than the washington one.

This is the Cassity we have seen glimpse's of and need to see every game. The Bills need Kyle. His wrap around drive was something we used to see once a game. Imo for Kyle it's not his 3 as much as it is his drive. When he's willing to attack the basket he earns space with the ball. When he's clearly not driving he allows the defender to really get up on him and challenge everything he does,

Mike is also really coming along. I think he will develop into a solid 12-15 ppg scorer and possibly more his Sr year. Defensively though is where he has really shined. His feet are so quick he can get tight on almost any guard and still not get beat on a drive.

Dwayne was Dwayne just getting boards and playing smart. He really recognizes when he has a mismatch and goes inside and takes advantage by posting up or getting the offensive board and the putback

Just a good game. The Bills shot good not great, but just dominated defensively. The gas grills really get frustrated when their drives are taken away and get very sloppy and force a lot of silly shots

I've always thought the strength of KC was driving to the hoop. He seems to have a knack for seeing the opening and taking it home. Problem is he just doesn't do it enough. With the way we ball screen and pick, they're there for the taking. And he's got BC and RL to dish it off to if he gets in traffic. He's way too sporadic in his game. And sometimes you have to wonder if the D's giving him these opportunities but knows he's likely not gonna take 'em.

i thought duquesne got homered. i think we were far better and would have won regardless, but man we got the calls and in particular the no calls.

when was the last time the billikens played a conference game that the billikens had the far bigger team?

no doubt cassity's best game. but the player that imo had his best game and you wouldnt know it from the box score was remeken. he had energy i havent seen this year. he played very good help defense and his aware radar was on high alert. just did stuff right.

mccall very good again. we know he can score, but his defense has went up a notch and it also seems he is taking care of the ball better as well. imo those factors are why cassity continues to get the minutes over mike, but if mccall is going to develop his total game to a higher level, cassity indeed will have to game in and game out have to score like he did last night to protect his minutes.

evans is just flat out a bad dude. he is the billikens shaft. he is just flat out a man. personally i think he isnt enough a part of the offensive plan as he should be, i have more confidence in him finishing than anyone on the team, including mitchell.

mcconnell disappeared. when the dukes made that first half run, he was the driver. i was very very impressed. but then for some reason when he went out for a blow, when he returned his motor wasnt on the same level, and when he got flattened twice in about 3 minutes by conklin (that was the major knockout) and then later by evans, he seemed to say, "let's get out of here" still the dukes have a player to build around. i like that kid a lot.

it was nice to see we won convincingly without ellis and loe really being able to contribute. same with jett who seemed less involved than we have seen him in quite awhile.

nice crowd. but you can tell the casual fans are coming out. lot of dam tiger hats, shirts etc.

.what is up with the half court shot contestants? is this a ploy to build the pot? at least put some one out there that can get the ball to the basket.

have i said lately how good our band is?

no doubt cassity's best game. but the player that imo had his best game and you wouldnt know it from the box score was remeken. he had energy i havent seen this year. he played very good help defense and his aware radar was on high alert. just did stuff right.

Remekun had some nice moments (the charges and blocks), but there were still a few times he looked bad/lost on defense. Fortunately the Dukes usually missed an easy shot or fumbled the ball away when this happened. Once Remekun let his man take him on the baseline and other times he would just lose his man after hedging on screens. Conklin is really the only guy I feel comfortable when I see him hedging screens. Remekun often loses his man afterwards leading to either and easy inside basket by his man or a wide open 3 ball when someone else has to help to pick up his man inside. Loe is usually good for a foul or two on the hedges (but he has gotten better this year).

All that being said, this was Remekun's best game in a while. If he does the things he can do well (blocks, etc.), I'll live with a few of his miscues.

Other random observation:

Despite being up big time and several Duquesne players seemly having given up, Barnett was the only bench warmer to get into the game. Perhaps Majerus doesn't want to throw off the regular player's rhythm by having them play with the Freshman/walkons. I don't know. With a tough week coming up, I would have liked to see our regulars get more of a break down the stretch in this game.

i thought duquesne got homered. i think we were far better and would have won regardless, but man we got the calls and in particular the no calls.

Roy - thought your entire post was well thought out, and I especially appreciated the above quote. The board is quick to point out when officials are perceived to be unfair to the Bills (ironically this occurs much more frequently after a loss;), but rarely do I see someone who notes that we may have gotten the better of the officiating.

Roy - thought your entire post was well thought out, and I especially appreciated the above quote. The board is quick to point out when officials are perceived to be unfair to the Bills (ironically this occurs much more frequently after a loss;), but rarely do I see someone who notes that we may have gotten the better of the officiating.

Ronnie definitely has reason to complain about the officiating last night. It was nice to be on the other end for once.

Ronnie definitely has reason to complain about the officiating last night. It was nice to be on the other end for once.

+1

He got a T here last year when he didn't deserve to be so upset. This year, he did.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-duquesne-reflections/article_73646a6a-4562-11e1-86a7-001a4bcf6878.html

Timmerman has some good stuff in his game reflections:

-I had no idea there was no under-4 media timeout in the second half. Never seen that before, and I can't believe I didn't notice.

-Evans was +38!

-Majerus coached sitting down because he was fighting the flu all week.

-8th win by 20 or more points this season. The 1994-95 team had 9.