What their saying in Charlotte

David King

I never read other school's message boards, but I figured, since I live in Charlotte, I'd check out what 'Niner Nation had to say about yesterday's game. Well, they are up in arms, and mostly seem to blame the officiating.(Where have I heard that before?) I guess that sentiment must explain the outrage I sensed among the customers when I went to Starbucks this morning.

To be honest, they have a pretty good beef about the 5-point play.

Below are some of the better quotes:

On Brian Conklin:

-" Conklin is first team A10 All-Dirty. What a hack. Don't know why we didn't maul him a few times as he did to us, or perform his patented flop. What a hack he is. Players like that will make you not want to watch basketball."

On the 5-point play:

" I was able to see a replay on the TV moniter. The foul on the screener occurred so much before the shooter was in his motion that it wasn't even close. Total B.S."

On the Billikens "thuggish" play:

-"I noticed that the refs did not want to call a lot of fouls in the first half. St. Thugin got up to 9 team fouls and it was like the refs went "D@MN! thats a lot....we should probably let them play because we are just calling fouls left and right over here." St. louis then got 3-4 mins of thugtastic defense without a single whistle and we watched the lead go from 13-14 to 8. Teams like St. Louis should not be allowed to play Div-I ball."

On the lack of "home-cooking":

-"The refs also blew several other calls as far as I could tell, mostly going against us. The Niners did not get any kind of homecooking that I could tell, which is really a problem when the team keeps having to face it on the road.

Did anyone get a good look at the Conklin elbow in the 1st half? I'm surprised he didn't at least get a technical, but maybe it looked a lot worse than it was. He and several other Billikens seemed to play a little bit dirty (sneaky trips on screens, pulls and grabs going for rebounds, flopping a lot) and mostly got away with it."

BTW,there were zero references or quotes from Andy Griffith or any character from Mayberry RFD. But, there is one poster that goes by the name of Jim Nabors.

I never read other school's message boards, but I figured, since I live in Charlotte, I'd check out what 'Niner Nation had to say about yesterday's game. Well, they are up in arms, and mostly seem to blame the officiating.(Where have I heard that before?) I guess that sentiment must explain the outrage I sensed among the customers when I went to Starbucks this morning.

On Brian Conklin:

-" Conklin is first team A10 All-Dirty. What a hack. Don't know why we didn't maul him a few times as he did to us, or perform his patented flop. What a hack he is. Players like that will make you not want to watch basketball."

On the 5-point play:

" I was able to see a replay on the TV moniter. The foul on the screener occurred so much before the shooter was in his motion that it wasn't even close. Total B.S."

-"I noticed that the refs did not want to call a lot of fouls in the first half. St. Thugin got up to 9 team fouls and it was like the refs went "D@MN! thats a lot....we should probably let them play because we are just calling fouls left and right over here." St. louis then got 3-4 mins of thugtastic defense without a single whistle and we watched the lead go from 13-14 to 8. Teams like St. Louis should not be allowed to play Div-I ball."

-"The refs also blew several other calls as far as I could tell, mostly going against us. The Niners did not get any kind of homecooking that I could tell, which is really a problem when the team keeps having to face it on the road.

Did anyone get a good look at the Conklin elbow in the 1st half? I'm surprised he didn't at least get a technical, but maybe it looked a lot worse than it was. He and several other Billikens seemed to play a little bit dirty (sneaky trips on screens, pulls and grabs going for rebounds, flopping a lot) and mostly got away with it."

BTW,there were zero references or quotes from Andy Griffith or any character from Mayberry RFD. But, there is one poster that goes by the name of Jim Nabors.

I would have been elbowing too if I had just been held like Conklin was yesterday. Yes, thank you refs for giving us that 5-point play. Sounds like most or the 49er fans were watching the game through the innocent eyes of Jim Nabors and Ronny Howard. :)

On Brian Conklin:

On the 5-point play:

O

We won. There was bad reffing both ways. It feels good to not be on the losing end of an ugly game.

49ers fans, you mad bro?

They mad and sad.

If your team loses a close game, the people at fault are:

1. The refs

2. The refs

3. The refs

4. The refs

5. The refs

6. The refs

7. The refs

8. Your players and coaches

Evidently Mayor Pike won't be proclaiming "Brian Conklin Day" any time soon in Mayberry. Aw-shucks.

And there have been no reports of Sheriff Taylor ("Andj") or Deputy Barney Fife arresting the refs before they made it out of state after the game.

On another note, our old adversary, The Mustached Lilliputian himself, T Him Up Bobby Lutz, is missed. It is good to see that Bobby has not been forgotten by the UNCC fans.

Evidently Mayor Pike won't be proclaiming "Brian Conklin Day" any time soon in Mayberry. Aw-shucks.

And there have been no reports of Sheriff Taylor ("Andj") or Deputy Barney Fife arresting the refs before they made it out of state after the game.

On another note, our old adversary, The Mustached Lilliputian himself, T Him Up Bobby Lutz, is missed. It is good to see that Bobby has not been forgotten by the UNCC fans.

No arrests, but the refs were detained for a spell at Checkpoint Chickie. Bobby Lutz regularly has porkchop sandwiches at the Snappy Lunch, where I believe bonwich filed his first out-of- state restaurant review.

I heard that Lutz left his wife for Thelma Lou's hot cousin, Marygrace. Didn't work out though as she had trouble with recurring headaches.

I heard that Lutz left his wife for Thelma Lou's hot cousin, Marygrace. Didn't work out though as she had trouble with recurring headaches.

True, true. Eventually Marygrace met Newton Monroe, and they moved to Brooklyn to open a notions and gift shop. Newton, of course, was no longer inept, but ept.

The commentators on the broadcast thought the refs "let them play" too much.

I have figured out this "home cooking" stuff though ---- home cooking is when they call a lot of fouls on the opponent and none on you. I am guessing that at least half that worked out as Charlotte had only three fouls called on them the whole second half but didn't see the recripocity in calling tons of stuff on us. In that regard, the game appears to have been balanced.

-blaming the refs is easier for some than realizing their team was not as good that game as the other team

-seth davis has an interesting article on si.com on fouls being called and how he sees a relationship between less fouls being called and scoring decreasing

-the logic being when there were more fouls called offensive players could move, dribble and shoot easier resulting in more baskets

-the article also submitted that the college game is more physical than the nba as the nba has taken steps to remove some of the physical play esp hand checks, i don't follow the nba, do those who watch the nba agree with this view?

Are the A10 zebras just awful (both ways) as a general rule?

I was driving my car Sat. night, and looking for the Denver/N.E. game on the radio, when I tuned into the last 5 minutes of the Temple/Richmond game on a Philadelphia radio station. Of course Temple lost that game, but their commentators were also complaining about the officiating. One of the commentators said there were at least three or four calls that were as bad as any he had seen.

It made me also wonder if the A-10 officials are worse than other leagues?

A few years ago, someone on the A-10 board provided salary data for officials in each league and it was pretty clear that the A-10 paid its refs considerably less than the big conferences. Obviously, you get what you pay for.

Again in the earlier tournament it seemed as though the refs were remarkable in that they were not really noticable. Its probably too much to ask to get completely impartial refs for an out of conference opponent at a place like the pit. The A10 refs don't seem to be homering teams but just awful.