OT - Beltran Signs with the Cards

Schasz

Seems about right. Thankfully kept him under $15 mill a year. Looks like the team is about set now, with maybe the possibility of a veteran utility infielder getting signed before spring training. On paper, especially with Craig back in May/June, the team looks possibly better than last year with the return of Wainwright. We shall see, though. New manager, no Pujols, different approach, injury risks at multiple positions, possible World Series hangover...lots of possibilities.

Wainwright can/should be a #1 if he's recovered fully

I hope he is great but not everyone recovers full capacity and who knows how many innings Carp can go in back to back years

This season's start for Carpenter was more than scary

I hope he is great but not everyone recovers full capacity and who knows how many innings Carp can go in back to back years

Tommy John surgery has become almost routine, and most pitchers come back at least as well; some even gain velocity. I think Waino is one of the favorites for the Cy Young next year with a decent middle infield behind him.

Mostly because he had a middle infield of Theriot and Skip and had Rasmus playing CF. Once the defense shored up, he was back to looking like the same ol' Carp, and was money down the stretch.

I am not too worried about Waino. As Band Legend stated, that has become a mostly routine surgery, and by the start of the season he will be more than a full year removed. Right now, we have a solid rotation, with Lynn in the wings if anyone gets hurt, and Shelby Miller ready to join up in 2013. I would stack up our starting rotation with just about anyone in the NL at this point.

Beltran is a good player but Im not sure I like him blocking/platooning with Craig for 13 Million a year.

THis move helps out for the first two months of the season while AC is DL'ed but it has a chance of back firining long term.

IMO the NLC is weak enough to where the Cards would of been able to hang around first place until the trade deadline without Beltran.

Then in July they could of used the money to upgrade second base, the BP, or the rotation.I like Beltran, think he is a good player and will have a good year, Im just not sure if 26 million for a two month starter/platoon OF is a wise investment

i am not a fan of signing either beltran or furcal. i would have preferred to go with green and shumacher and descalso and then add craig to the mix when back. july will bring a fire sale of better value for the buck as i think the better days for furcal and beltran are behind them. but then again i preached the same story last year when berkman was signed and he imo is now the most important player on the cardinal roster. so what the hell do i know.

the fact the cardinals are only committed for two years is genius. if both do a berkman and have big seasons, the odds are we can still resign for the same price or close simply because they are continuing to age. if they tank well at least the financial pain will be over and not linger on for another 8 years.

meanwhile, the more casual fans that dont look at all the angles like us sports nuts, and just know the big names are thrilled we got a bunch of names in our lineup and continue to make their lemmings trips to ballpark pay right at $10 for a beer and pack the house night after night.

no doubt about it, the cardinals office is on the ball imo. played a very difficult offseason about as good as they could. i'm impressed they came out as well as they did.

The time Beltran will play center will depend on Jay - if Jay has a solid year - consistent - then we will see Beltran very sparingly. He can play DH when we go interleague and that will save him some wear and tear. We will need him with Craig out - assume Craig misses 30 games and then has to still go to AAA to play himself back into shape since he missed spring training he could be out another 15-20 games. When he returns, Beltran can still play a bunch by having Craig spell Puma at first from time to time and Holiday will need some breaks also. I doubt we will have any problem giving him 110-20 games this year. I agree that the best part of the deal is 2 years - if he tanks we are not screwed for that long. I think we should leave Lynn where he is in the bullpen - he is better there than a starter. Adam W will be fine next year - may not pitch 225 frames but certainly can pitch 175-190. All we have to do is stretch Garcia out more - time for him to man up - and not over tax Carp and Adam when the bullpen is fresh. My only complaint about TLR was that he tended to let them stay in longer than was actually necessary.

P-D reports Cards have come to terms with Carlos Beltran on a 2 year $26 million contract. I like this deal as we needed more pop in the middle of our lineup with the departure of King Albert.

Gettin the 2004 NL All Star Team back together! Is Jeff Kent available to play 2B? How about pulling Clemens and the Big Unit out of retirement?

Hope he does better with the Cards then he did with the Mets. Seemed like he was always on the DL when he played with them.

Seemed like being the key.

In the first 4 years he averaged 150 games. Then in '09 and '10 he missed a year (last half '09 and first half '10) playing 145 games combined. He then played 142 last year. The reality of it is ... besides the knee surgery he was rarely if ever on the DL

I love this signing. It's a little more than I thought, but it aint my money. Best case scenario he plays 145 games and increases last years HR's and RBI's by 10-15% as he isn't hitting in 2 of the 3 worst hitters parks in the NL. If that happens 13 mil is a bargain. Of course he could get hurt day 1 and be a waste, however we only have a 2 year committment and despite the prevailing thought that he's injury prone ... his history tells us the odds are he'll play between 140 and 150 games. We have a pretty good 5 when all are healthy Berkman, Holiday, Beltran, Craig, and Freese. That's as good a 5 at the plate as any in the NL.

I really like this, it is a very good situational move and 2 yrs is optimal, we did not overpay, we got a guy who can play CF-RF-IB, a switchhitter with some pop in his bat.

He hit .300 last year and played in pitcher friendly NY and SF, so his 22 hrs project higher at Busch.

Sounds like he will play RF until Craig gets back, then they will play him in CF a LOT. I hope he proves capable of covering the ground in CF when called upon. With that knee problem he may not be adequate, though John Jay is a so-so CF defensively anyway.

I think Craig will play pretty much full time with some platooning when he gets back, and then we can rest and platoon Beltran and Berkman, they will need it.

This is an optimal "spot" pick up, help right where we needed it, it's a bit of a risk because of his age and knee problem, of course, but if he plays like last year, this is HUGE.

We will have a nice lineup, no perfect leadoff man, but a solid mix of right and left handed hitters, a very solid bench, and plenty of flexibility.

Despite losing Pujols we are right back in the hunt with Beltran and Wainwright as additions, plus Furcal and Schumacher re-signed.

I don't have PROOF but I KNOW Beltran is actually 47.

Witty as usual.

So, you think Pujols will be playing in 2021? 2020? 2019?

Give me a break. I say, he will have another decent year or two but will be out of the game by 2015 or so, maybe sooner as he declines to .290-.280-.270, injured 33% of the time. The opportunity to DH helps him a lot.

Something is probably hidden on page 39 of his contract that gives the Angels an "out".

New info, I talked to a guy just recently who played on the same JUCO team with Pujols... he is a younger relative of a friend of mine... he says it was well known within the team inner circle that Albert was several yrs older than he says. Concern about his age was speculated in the SL Post, ESPN, by Hrabosky, others. It is a very sensitive issue.

In court, it isn't what you know, it is what you can prove.

In business, it is what you know.

The Cardinals made a GREAT business decision, and managed through the process in such a way as to not alientate the fan base. Well done.

Believe what you want, I was just trying to inform some fellow Billikens.

Witty as usual.

So, you think Pujols will be playing in 2021? 2020? 2019?

Give me a break. I say, he will have another decent year or two but will be out of the game by 2016 or so, maybe sooner as he declines to .290-.280-.270, injured 33% of the time. The opportunity to DH helps him a lot.

Something is probably hidden on page 39 of his contract that gives the Angels an "out".

New info, I talked to a guy just recently who played on the same JUCO team with Pujols... he is relative of a friend of mine... he says it was well known within the team inner circle that Albert was several yrs older than he says. It was speculated in the SL Post. ESPN. Hrabosky.

In court, it isn't what you know, it is what you can prove.

In business, it is what you know.

The Cardinals made a GREAT business decision, and managed through the process in such a way as to not alientate the fan base. Well done.

Believe what you want, I was just trying to inform some fellow Billikens.

+1