So what did the BC game tell us?

AlumniFan

Were we looking beyond this game?

Did we just have an off game?

Was BC really up for this game and wanted it more?

We shot .415 from the field and let them shoot .432. That is one problem.

We were out rebounded 31-23. That hurts and will hurt more when we play a bigger, more athletic, and experienced team.

Our turnovers were low and steals were pretty good relative to BC. That is a plus.

We need Loe to shoot and hit. Same with Kyle. Loe only had two points. Kyle only took 6 shots (made half).

Conk looked great as did Kwamain. Just need others to step up.

Thoughts?

I would like to see McCall use his quickness which is really unbelievable to create more shots and drive to the basket more. It seems like he did a lot last year. Of course, that was a completely different situation, but he doesn't seem to have the same confidence. He hasn't regressed, but he is just not playing as aggressively as he did last year. Maybe I am just imagining that though - only been 4 games.

We need for the sophomores to step their games up, play with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. None of the sophs. have shown significant improvement thus far.

Agree, we need production from them too. Evans and Loe have been mentioned but McCall really didn't show anything this afternoon either. It is one game and hopefully we can get contributions from them when our most experienced players KM & BC have an off game.

From Anaheim, we have a decent contingent of fans here, about the same as BC.

We came out flat and BC played really hard. I suspect they've had a couple of rough days after the UMass disaster.

This is a nice set up for a tourney, arena is nice and a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

Villanova has a bunch of people here and look darn athletic in warm ups. Riverside not as many people as I expected.

How about the charge call on Conklin at the end? Looked horrible in person.

We may have played down to our competition today. Kind of a trap game and it was good to avoid the loss. What is of concern is the rebounding, or the lack thereof. Especially on the D boards where we're giving teams second and third chances. This will eventually bite you in the you know what. Our shooting was off today. Most notably w/ CE and MM. As far as others scoring, RM's system is set up to get the best shot on each possession. It's not built around KM or BC. Although it was sure good seeing BC stepping it up in the second half. Can't believe how much he's developed. And of course turning the game over to KM when it got close at the end. He seems to love that and thank God he's back because every team does need a go to guy. No we didn't beat them up like Holy Cross or UMass, but I'm sure BC's had some pretty intense practices since those games and were really fired up for this game. If we'd hit the open looks we had, ie good shots, like we did against UW we would have beat them by 30. But we didn't and it allowed them to keep hanging around. One thing about hoops if a team keeps dropping everything it takes the heart out of you. We just didn't shoot well enough today to take their heart out of the game. That, and of course, our woeful rebounding. But hey, it's a W and W's are all we want right now. I'd expect RM will tell them tonight just how tough Villanova or UC Riverside's gonna be, and we'll all see a better effort tomorrow.

What learned from this game is that we are capable off starting off slow and not letting the game get away from us. That is something that will be invaluable as the year goes on. By the way, Evans looks very much out of place at the 3. Hopefully he will adapt soon or maybe we need to rethink this.