Jordair Jett

NH

How do posters on here see Jordair fitting into SLU's squad this year and heading forward.

Have we heard anything about him in the offseason?

I think he could be an all-conference performer potentially down the road but it will be interesting to see how he fits with the logjam of guards.

I think he can be really really good with his strength and athletic ability. If he works on his jump shot and defense it'll be hard to keep him out of the lineup. Gotta cut down the turnovers too but part of that was inexperience at the college level.

I don't know where I see him fitting in though. So many guards to choose from.

KM is obviously the better player.

MM is quicker and has a better shot.

JB has a better shot.

KC is better with the ball and has a better shot.

But I do agree that he could be a star and he does things better than the rest of the guards, he just needs to work his way to the top of the guard list.

How do posters on here see Jordair fitting into SLU's squad this year and heading forward.

I think he could be an all-conference performer potentially down the road but it will be interesting to see how he fits with the logjam of guards.

I think that's all up to Jordair Jett.

I'm a bit worried about JJ's playing time, to be honest. I've heard we're recruiting a European guy, Karl Hungus, who could make that logjam even bigger. Hopefully JJ will rise to the occasion, though.

Where Jordair sets himself apart from other guards is his size and strength which allows him to finish around the rim and crash the boards. I expect him to have had a very nice career here at SLU once its all said and done

I'm a bit worried about JJ's playing time, to be honest. I've heard we're recruiting a European guy, Karl Hungus, who could make that logjam even bigger. Hopefully JJ will rise to the occasion, though.

Posted Image

Where Jordair sets himself apart from other guards is his size and strength which allows him to finish around the rim and crash the boards. I expect him to have had a very nice career here at SLU once its all said and done

Agreed. I think JJ is the "X" factor on this team. With all our depth, JJ seems to be flying under the radar. With KM coming back and JB finally getting to play, we don't hear much about JJ. I think he is incredibly fast as well. His speed is deceiving since he seems to be moving in slow motion. I remember him making a couple errors last year and then scrambled back down the court to catch the opponent and make a defensive stop.

JJ made a lot of freshman mistakes last year and had a lot of turnovers from being out of control at times. RM sat him last year after a bad string of turnovers and I think it sent a message to him and he returned cutting down on turnovers. With his defense, his ability to get to the basket and his rebounding, he will definitely be fighting for minutes.

With all this depth, I hope nobody gets frustrated with lack of minutes. If all these guys stick around, it is going to be a lot of fun in the years to come.

I see JJ as our second point guard behind Mitchell. Barnett and McCall seem to be our two guards. Cassity a two/three depending on the oppostion's lineup, matchups and our needs.

I can see JJ's assists numbers going up for the same reason I see Mitchell doing well: two or three floor shooters will open up the lane and allow for drives and dish. He may hit a cutting big, or a shooter popping out on the wing. Making a layup is a lot easier with the trees duly occupied lesewhere. He should give Majerus an option to rest Mitchell at times. Which will be good otherwise Mitchell will take a pounding. He will play a very nice role as the season progresses.

At crunch time, however, JJ needs to improve a weak perimeter shot (made 89 shots of which half were lay-ups/within 5 feet)and a weak free throw percentage (61%) or he rides pine. He doesn't shoot the three (17% on 24 shots). If we are ahead and he still is a poor free throw shooter, his time at crunch time will be limited. Mitchell will have the ball. Barnett and McCall should be on the floor too. With maybe a combo of Evans, Cassity, Conklin, Ellis and Loe. If we are down, he becomes an offense/defense switch out. He becomes our version of Dayton's Lamont Warren --- he provides some relief and plays a different role if behind but possibily a liability if ahead.

At crunch time, however, JJ needs to improve a weak perimeter shot (made 89 shots of which half were lay-ups/within 5 feet)and a weak free throw percentage (61%) or he rides pine. He doesn't shoot the three (17% on 24 shots). If we are ahead and he still is a poor free throw shooter, his time at crunch time will be limited. Mitchell will have the ball. Barnett and McCall should be on the floor too. With maybe a combo of Evans, Cassity, Conklin, Ellis and Loe. If we are down, he becomes an offense/defense switch out. He becomes our version of Dayton's Lamont Warren --- he provides some relief and plays a different role if behind but possibily a liability if ahead.

I still disagree that he had a weak 2 point perimeter shot. I agree that he needs to improve his FT shooting and he probably shouldn't shoot any 3 point shots.

If he plays smart he'll get plenty of time playing the point and KM will slide over to the 2. Like you all have said, there's going to be a lot of competition for playing time.

I don't think he will ever fit the mold of classical 1 or 2. He could be very good-why project a ceiling for a very real but raw talent.

I am glad he is on our side. If you remember back to the Spoon days you had Claggett, Walden, Highmark, etc. which of them would you not want to see come in the game; it all worked out.

When we win they are all going to be very happy after the experience of last year.

None of last year's players will forget how the got beat and by whom.

Payback will be sweet when we sport a whole team for a change.

In past we handicapped ourselves by being two or three men short at every position.

I would like to have had another Big but I haven't even seen the new ones play so how I can I say that? We may finally have enough.

I see JJ as our second point guard behind Mitchell. Barnett and McCall seem to be our two guards. Cassity a two/three depending on the oppostion's lineup, matchups and our needs.

I can see JJ's assists numbers going up for the same reason I see Mitchell doing well: two or three floor shooters will open up the lane and allow for drives and dish. He may hit a cutting big, or a shooter popping out on the wing. Making a layup is a lot easier with the trees duly occupied lesewhere. He should give Majerus an option to rest Mitchell at times. Which will be good otherwise Mitchell will take a pounding. He will play a very nice role as the season progresses.

Taj

Have not posted for awhile.

I respectfully disagree. Too many TOs for JJ to suit me. This team's margin is not that great yet that we can absorb as many TOs as last year. I see JJ way down on the list of guards. Love his strength and speed, intensity. Has that football running back's determination. But the team is better IMHO with MM as the back up PG, giving KM a good breather each game. JB starts at the 2, if he shoots and defends as advertised. KC is a 2/3 swing man as you indicate.

mhg

I think he can be really really good with his strength and athletic ability. If he works on his jump shot and defense it'll be hard to keep him out of the lineup. Gotta cut down the turnovers too but part of that was inexperience at the college level.

I don't know where I see him fitting in though. So many guards to choose from.

KM is obviously the better player.

MM is quicker and has a better shot.

JB has a better shot.

KC is better with the ball and has a better shot.

But I do agree that he could be a star and he does things better than the rest of the guards, he just needs to work his way to the top of the guard list.

+- minutes are going to be very interesting or not?

Taj

Have not posted for awhile.

I respectfully disagree. Too many TOs for JJ to suit me. This team's margin is not that great yet that we can absorb as many TOs as last year. I see JJ way down on the list of guards. Love his strength and speed, intensity. Has that football running back's determination. But the team is better IMHO with MM as the back up PG, giving KM a good breather each game. JB starts at the 2, if he shoots and defends as advertised. KC is a 2/3 swing man as you indicate.

mhg

i agree. rickma values the ball and leadership too much to take minutes from cassity imo. unlike last year, he wont have to ask cassity to score anymore with mitchell back and evans and mccall and barnett on the floor. mitchell obviously will play a lot. evans will play sf first, pf second. barnett and mccall will play. i see jett with very few opportunities to play even with 3 guard lineup.

120 minutes between the three spots, and evans will take some of those guard spot minutes as well. mitchell will probably average over 30 minutes a game. evans and cassity will both average 25. if barnett is as advertised, he will likely be over 20 as will mccall.

that's 120 minutes a game there. jett only gets time because evans will slide over to pf once in awhile or foul trouble presents itself.

I really enjoyed the tenacity that JJ brought to the court last year, but in my mind JJ will really have to improve to get minutes at the point this year. And I just don't ever see an all-conference selection. Don't you want your point guard to be able to handle the ball? JJ played with it like it was a hot potatoe last year. And don't you want your point guard to be able to shoot ft's? 61% doesn't cut it at that position. The upside of course is that he can get to the hole, he is scarry athletic, and just might be a an all conference defender one day. However, KM and MM both handle it much better, and shoot it much better from the line and the 3. I also think KM will play more minutes than any Billiken during the RM era thsi season, further reducing JJ's playing time. Next year, if he improves, will be a good year for him, I just don't see it this year.

Turnovers, free throw percentage, and rebounding in my opinion are all tangible areas a veteran team such as ours NEEDS to improve on.

Jett should not have to force as much this year, should be more consistent and poised as well. Im an eternal optimist but I see our team much more savvy this year in those areas.

I really enjoyed the tenacity that JJ brought to the court last year, but in my mind JJ will really have to improve to get minutes at the point this year. And I just don't ever see an all-conference selection. Don't you want your point guard to be able to handle the ball? JJ played with it like it was a hot potatoe last year. And don't you want your point guard to be able to shoot ft's? 61% doesn't cut it at that position. The upside of course is that he can get to the hole, he is scarry athletic, and just might be a an all conference defender one day. However, KM and MM both handle it much better, and shoot it much better from the line and the 3. I also think KM will play more minutes than any Billiken during the RM era thsi season, further reducing JJ's playing time. Next year, if he improves, will be a good year for him, I just don't see it this year.

WHAT IF KM plays 35 mins a game, puts up 18-20 PPG, 4-5 APG and 4 RPG and just owns games? Gets that A-10 POY we've all been hinting at? Takes us to the 2nd or 3rd round of the NCAAs? Averages over 20 in those games (which you know he would)? I'd think he might be able to ride that buzz into the league, even after only his junior year. I'd hate/love to see it happen, and that would open things back up for JJ a bit. Not that that's my concern. If we're so good that JJ never gets to touch the floor, sorry for him, but I'll take it, no questions.

I think we can really make some noise this year, and it's ALWAYS good to have a guy like JJ pushing KM and MM in practice, and also bringing tons of hustle/athleticism into games when we need it. Really just can't wait for the season.

I totally agree on JJ and too many turnovers, however he was a freshman and played out of control often. Yes, there are freshman who transition better but I think JJ will clean up the TO's and if not he won't see time. RM will like his defense though and if we're ever playing 3 guards he does hit the boards well.

Most of our players tried to do too much last year, but I don't think that will be the case this year with KM in the game. IMO, I think we will see better control from JJ this year if and when he gets minutes.

Turnovers, free throw percentage, and rebounding in my opinion are all tangible areas a veteran team such as ours NEEDS to improve on.

Jett should not have to force as much this year, should be more consistent and poised as well. Im an eternal optimist but I see our team much more savvy this year in those areas.

I actually agree with NH this time. I see JJ as extremely high potential and all the areas of his game that were weak being potentailly corrected. Natural talents like athleticism, speed, and strength (which are much harder to improve) he possesses a great deal of. Very promising talent.

I actually see JB as a SF like CE was as a freshman. No need to put a slower guy in the 2 position unless you have to - JB is more a threat to CE then JJ for playing time in my opinion. I do think that KC has the potential of loosing a lot of minutes. He is not a speed burner and his shot has not been there consistently. Since we now have 3 fast players for guard it seems odd to me that we would play with slower ones unless we have to. Yes, KC protects the ball but if JJ does better than last year then he will get the nod over KC. I agree with who ever said that scoring should not be taken for granted. We will be more scoring able then last year but we will live and die most nights on our perimeter shooting which as history has shown us is not our strong point - either hot or cold. This is why I see JJ maybe getting more minutes then some of you think. He does have a decent mid range shot and he can get to the basket like most can not. On the nights we are struggling from outside a player of his type is what the doctor ordered. I know KM can do the same but with someone coming off the bench like him we are going be glad he is here.

The only other thing bothers me a bit about this thread is that for some reason some Billiken fans think that unless you start or play 25 minutes then you are not an asset and will probably be riding the pines or leave. I happen to believe that on teams that have a strong roster that most of the players only get 15-20 minutes a game with only a very few on the team getting 25-30. This is a good thing and finally we are in a position where we can have fresh legs in the game and real competition for playing time. There is 80 minutes of guard play - 50 to MM and KM and that leaves 30 for the likes of JJ and KC. I realize that in crunch time KC might be there for his FT shooting but even with the freshman Greek there will be enough time to go around. Imagine having a guard tandem who can go like 60 the entire time they are in. Like I said this is a good thing!

My personal take on Jett is the same as that with ALL the other players. RM has shown that he does not need any particular player and that he will not cater to any particular player. When TL, possibly our most talented player (with the greatest upside and athletic ability ), resisted RM and his demands, RM refused to back off. RM did not change his schemes, philosophy or plan to accomadate TL. Brad changed his whole schemes to accomodate TL and while TL scored more points per game, our defenses did not perform as well as they did prior. Along these lines, if ANY of our players resist or don't produce, they will be replaced and either leave or be shown the door. To all those who thought RM would keep CS happy so he would not leave and jeopardize the Austrailian pipeline, reality now says otherwise. Along these lines, I fully expect a few kids to leave early - either at Christmas break or the end of the upcoming season.

As to Jett, this year, unlike any prior year, we finally have options at every position. Jett is one of those options who can play all three guard positions. KM and RL should be fine at the point and at center. Aside from that, the rest is up for grabs and the guys who produce will play and those that don't produce won't. Seniors BC and KC initally will be given the right to start due to their seniority, hard work, loyalty and dedication but will soon lose these spots if they don't produce. If KC doesn't hit the open/outside shot, he will be replaced with someone who can. This year, we will have options from the outside. If that guy is Jett, so be it. If instead it is JB, MM or the Greek kid, then so it is. Same with every other position: if DE, CE, Glaze, CR or Manning contribute more at the 4, then that will happen.

Being deep from 9 to 12 is less important than being deep 1 to 8. Games are won and lost by the 1 to 8 guys. The depth at from 9 to 12 is really just to push the 1 to 8 players to get better, to keep options open in the event one or more of the 1 to 8 guys falters and also to replace the 1 to 8 guys when they graduate/leave the program. IMO, the players themselves (Jett included) will determine who becomes the 1 to 8 guys.

I think what you really have to like about JJ is his strength and athleticism he gives you at the 1-2 spots. His ability to crash the boards gives you a lot of flexibility with your rotations and can allow you to play a small 3 when he is in there. I also think his mid-range game is a little underrated as I remember looking at the shooting stats last season and he shot right around 40% from that range. You would assume that he would improve in that area as a soph, even if his 3-pt shooting doesn't.

Two glaring weaknesses that have been pointed out were his TOs and free throw shooting. It should be pointed out that once RM sat him down mid-season last year, and KM joined the team for practices, that JJ reduced his turnovers. He also saw his scoring go down, however players like BC, MM and DE saw their production increase during the end of the season. This could have been helped by JJ calming down and trying to be more of a facilitator. As for JJ's free throw shooting, we can just hope that he improves this portion of his game, especially as he showed an ability to get to the line due to his slashing and driving.

Basically, JJ is the one in control of his playing time this coming season. He plays well and under control on offense, and continues to bring the defensive intensity that he showed last season, then he will get minutes and perhaps plenty of them. I agree with others here that he seems like a very good backup option for KM.

While I do get where they're coming from I think some fans on here may pigeon hole rm too much. While he is a little old school and is certainly set in his ways he's also not gene hackman from hoosiers. RM recognizes the value of athleticism skill and potential. TL WR JS and even JJ have all played significant minutes in spite of some of their weaknesses. Salecich played good defense and didn't turn the ball over but I think RM realizes we also need scoring and toughness. Not to mention JJ has the potential to be a lock down defender.