OT Tyler Griffey Transferring

Billboy1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of ironic, but I remember Majerus saying Griffey was his #1 target that year. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Griffey would have been a very good player in Rickma's system. His skill set is perfect for a forward in that offense. He would have thrived here.

Going from Illinois or most schools you would be

Behind on the philosophy and theology

Unless SLU has watered their graduation

Requirements down also if the kinds a p e

Major remember Illinois has even masters and phd

Programs in PE he could not transfer courses

We don't have

SLU does not need another slow big man. If Griffey had started his career at SLU, he may be a better ballplayer now. If he plays for us it means RM's other incoming big men are not very good. Griffey, unless he improves drastically, will not be of much help to SLU. He thought he was good enough to play in the Big 10 but he was not.

Apparently he can recruit. At least at the level he's at. Honestly, good for him. I just think all the big boy crybaby losers he has coming to play for him are sad. Not only are they going to much shittier basketball programs, they're going to much shittier academic programs. Probably with uglier girls. That don't care as much that they're on the basketball team. And, they're quitters. Weak sauce.

You do know that most of the Miss Missouri women attend Lindenwood - they have a program and scholarships for them.

if he transfers to lindenwood or any other non-D1 school, assuming he is academically ok for the school he is going to, he does not have to sit out when transferring.

SLU does not need another slow big man. If Griffey had started his career at SLU, he may be a better ballplayer now. If he plays for us it means RM's other incoming big men are not very good. Griffey, unless he improves drastically, will not be of much help to SLU. He thought he was good enough to play in the Big 10 but he was not.

I'm getting tired of continued speculation about all of these "can't miss" local basketball who go elswhere, fail and then are rumored to come to SLU. Tyler had his chance to come to SLU, his Dad posted on our board, they knew all about us... but he followed the bright lights and went elsewhere. Local recuits and players: we are no longer your "safe" choice during the selection process or afterwards.

I'm getting tired of continued speculation about all of these "can't miss" local basketball who go elswhere, fail and then are rumored to come to SLU. Tyler had his chance to come to SLU, his Dad posted on our board, they knew all about us... but he followed the bright lights and went elsewhere. Local recuits and players: we are no longer your "safe" choice during the selection process or afterwards.

I don't know about anybody else but I don't care where a kid went first, if he's good enough to be in our rotation and wants to play here give him a scholarship. I don't think we have ever been in the position to turn down good players.

How can you blame these kids for going elsewhere. I'm 16 and about to apply to college. I will probably apply for a couple ivy league school. If I get into columbia, that would be tough to turn down. Let's say I go there and don't like it. How petty would it be for SLU to not accept me as a transfer student assuming I qualify under their standards. That's just silly.

Griffey is not coming to SLU. When Griffey was playing at Lafayette, Majerus was asked on his radio show why he did not recruit Griffey when he was a high level recruit in his backyard. What Majerus said to paraphrase was "there is something wrong with a player of his supposed skills who cannot get his team out out districts or into the state playoffs." Basically he said that he didn't think he was that good and the fact that they never made it to state was evidence of that.

Griffey is not coming to SLU. When Griffey was playing at Lafayette, Majerus was asked on his radio show why he did not recruit Griffey when he was a high level recruit in his backyard. What Majerus said to paraphrase was "there is something wrong with a player of his supposed skills who cannot get his team out out districts or into the state playoffs." Basically he said that he didn't think he was that good and the fact that they never made it to state was evidence of that.

Big Rick's been around the block a time or two. Seems like his assessment on him was pretty accurate.

Recruiting disgruntled college players is much easier for Brad S. than recruiting blue-chip high school kids and all of the "people" that comes with it....he never seemed to like dealing with that crap...

Don't underestimate the role that Kramer and teammates may be playing in the process too...

Once again, this is where I ask about the St. Louis talent level, in general. The list is endless ..... and now is adding Tyler as a "did miss" prospect, reinforcing my belief that the whole talent-ranking system is corrupt.

I guess its like pretty much anything else in the world ... you've got to cultivate it to make it grow. Griffey obviously didn't get that at Illinois. Yet. I'm not buying the transfer rumor until it becomes reality so who knows, maybe the circumstances chnage next year, he sticks it out, and --- boom --- proves me an idiot. Josh Harrelson seems to be a force at Kentucky right now proving strange things really DO happen.

I didn't know Rick said that about Griffey but it does make sense and if anyone knows, shouldn't Rick know? Again, in Majerus I trust.

Stepping off Griffey, another "can't miss" prospect was Scott Suggs. Played in 29 of Washington's 33 games, averages 18 mpg, 7.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg and 1.2 apg. Seven guys have played more minutes than him. Anyone expect more? Besides me?

So, in that class, as I recall, Brad's targets were Griffey, Suggs, Kramer, John, Thompson, Roundtree, Booker and Powell. Grades for those guys are Fail/Pass/Fail/Withdrew/Fail/Fail/Fail/Fail. Wow! Wasn't that one of the St. Louis area's best?

Recruiting disgruntled college players is much easier for Brad S. than recruiting blue-chip high school kids and all of the "people" that comes with it....he never seemed to like dealing with that crap...

Don't underestimate the role that Kramer and teammates may be playing in the process too...

Plus, he has that no wait rule going for him. The kids that we're talking about, ie Thompson, Kramer S, and Griffey (if true), are not BCS material and would likely only get in at a low level D1 program for playing time. So why sit out a year for a program that's not much better than an NAIA school ? Suggs too has to be disappointed the way things have gone for him at UW. I know he gets some minutes but probably not the role he envisioned for himself. It seems that unless a STL player is a true 5 star, ie The Legend, Carwell, Lee etc, local players' dreams tend to be bigger than their talent. Still we've missed on a lot of locals that would have helped us, ie Ahern, Harrelson, Suggs to name a few. It would be good for SLU to land some locals that could contribute as it would help grow the fan base. But overall I like RM/PM's recruiting strategy, if the kid hems and haws because he's waiting it out for a BCS deal and we're his 2nd or 3rd choice, they move on to someone else. I think this is where UB made his biggest mistake. He hung in there, kept the slot open then had to scramble around for the Obis and Horace Dixons of the world.

Once again, this is where I ask about the St. Louis talent level, in general. The list is endless ..... and now is adding Tyler as a "did miss" prospect, reinforcing my belief that the whole talent-ranking system is corrupt.

I guess its like pretty much anything else in the world ... you've got to cultivate it to make it grow. Griffey obviously didn't get that at Illinois. Yet. I'm not buying the transfer rumor until it becomes reality so who knows, maybe the circumstances chnage next year, he sticks it out, and --- boom --- proves me an idiot. Josh Harrelson seems to be a force at Kentucky right now proving strange things really DO happen.

I didn't know Rick said that about Griffey but it does make sense and if anyone knows, shouldn't Rick know? Again, in Majerus I trust.

Stepping off Griffey, another "can't miss" prospect was Scott Suggs. Played in 29 of Washington's 33 games, averages 18 mpg, 7.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg and 1.2 apg. Seven guys have played more minutes than him. Anyone expect more? Besides me?

So, in that class, as I recall, Brad's targets were Griffey, Suggs, Kramer, John, Thompson, Roundtree, Booker and Powell. Grades for those guys are Fail/Pass/Fail/Withdrew/Fail/Fail/Fail/Fail. Wow! Wasn't that one of the St. Louis area's best?

Taj, your crusade against the talent level in St. Louis area highschools gets old.

For every "example" that you have showing that they aren't that good there are other examples such as Harrellson at UK, Tyus at Florida, Jesse Perry at Arizona etc. that are doing quite well on very highly seeded teams.

kshoe --- my point has seemed to be proven more than refuted. You offer three kids to offset my list of eight. I'll say fair enough but counter with the math that three does not equal eight. I'd offer there are more disappointments in the rating of SL talent than successes but that again would lead to subjective ratings which I have stated are corrupt to begin with on any front.

What is "good" to one is purely subjective but you cannot disagree that the class mentioned above, ballyhooed by some as the best in SL talent ever, has failed in more casesa than not. Statiscally, you can prove anything you want.

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,, baffle 'em with bullsh*t. When all else fails, use statistics."

I'll give the old crusade a rest but the point has been proven, you can't use St. Louis talent to play consistently at the level a good Division 1 team needs. This can now be thrown into the cicular file alongside the Valley debate.

i dont think soderberg recruited roundtree and booker and powell all that hard. he did recruit willie reed along wiht griffey, suggs, kramer, john, and thompson.

kshoe --- my point has seemed to be proven more than refuted. You offer three kids to offset my list of eight. I'll say fair enough but counter with the math that three does not equal eight. I'd offer there are more disappointments in the rating of SL talent than successes but that again would lead to subjective ratings which I have stated are corrupt to begin with on any front.

What is "good" to one is purely subjective but you cannot disagree that the class mentioned above, ballyhooed by some as the best in SL talent ever, has failed in more casesa than not. Statiscally, you can prove anything you want.

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,, baffle 'em with bullsh*t. When all else fails, use statistics."

I'll give the old crusade a rest but the point has been proven, you can't use St. Louis talent to play consistently at the level a good Division 1 team needs. This can now be thrown into the cicular file alongside the Valley debate.

Taj, that is just BS. I don't follow STL highschool the way many do on this board so I can't name every STL area kid now playing college ball, but if you don't think a team comprised of

- Suggs

- Harrellson

- Alex Tyus

- Jesse Perry

- Bradley Beal

- BJ Young

- Ben McClemore

etc.

would kick ass in college than I really shouldn't even bother arguing with you.

You really just need to give it a rest.

For you morons that think Griffey would not be a valuable asset on this team you are dumber than I actually thought...

He comes in and sits out a year..he learns RickMa's system as well as gets his confidence back..

The year he becomes eligible, BC is gone, and so is our tough guy roll..Tyler provides a tough body down low as well as the ability to make an open 3..he does well off the pick and roll...seems like a pretty good guy to fit into our system...

Finally, even if WR comes back, I can bet big money that if he has a great year and slu makes a run, he is going to the NBA...its all the kid talks about... we will need another big to slide in because he and BC could be gone..having TG for 2 years would be very beneficial to the program..I also think his talent would be better utilized against A10 opponents rather than the B1G

For you morons that think Griffey would not be a valuable asset on this team you are dumber than I actually thought...

He comes in and sits out a year..he learns RickMa's system as well as gets his confidence back..

The year he becomes eligible, BC is gone, and so is our tough guy roll..Tyler provides a tough body down low as well as the ability to make an open 3..he does well off the pick and roll...seems like a pretty good guy to fit into our system...

Finally, even if WR comes back, I can bet big money that if he has a great year and slu makes a run, he is going to the NBA...its all the kid talks about... we will need another big to slide in because he and BC could be gone..having TG for 2 years would be very beneficial to the program..I also think his talent would be better utilized against A10 opponents rather than the B1G

Agreed, I'd give him a shot. Question is who leaves?

Plus, he has that no wait rule going for him. The kids that we're talking about, ie Thompson, Kramer S, and Griffey (if true), are not BCS material and would likely only get in at a low level D1 program for playing time. So why sit out a year for a program that's not much better than an NAIA school ? Suggs too has to be disappointed the way things have gone for him at UW. I know he gets some minutes but probably not the role he envisioned for himself. It seems that unless a STL player is a true 5 star, ie The Legend, Carwell, Lee etc, local players' dreams tend to be bigger than their talent. Still we've missed on a lot of locals that would have helped us, ie Ahern, Harrelson, Suggs to name a few. It would be good for SLU to land some locals that could contribute as it would help grow the fan base. But overall I like RM/PM's recruiting strategy, if the kid hems and haws because he's waiting it out for a BCS deal and we're his 2nd or 3rd choice, they move on to someone else. I think this is where UB made his biggest mistake. He hung in there, kept the slot open then had to scramble around for the Obis and Horace Dixons of the world.

-maybe suggs likes going to the ncaa tourney?

-maybe he likes playing pac 10 bball?

-maybe he likes the coach who he has had a relationship with since 'zo was here?

-maybe he likes the school, seattle, his girlfriend, his teammates, whatever?

-i wonder if he is disappointed, i kind of doubt it