SLU vs. UMass

kshoe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would classes being canceled have any impact on whether they play the game?

-i would think not as a lot more logistics than cancelling a high school game with a school across town

-if umass is here i would think every effort to play the game would be made

-i would think not as a lot more logistics than cancelling a high school game with a school across town

-if umass is here i would think every effort to play the game would be made

That's what I thought too, but when they canceled classes today they said, "All University activities are canceled." I didn't know if they would include basketball in that too. I would think by tomorrow night, most of the roads would be cleared though.

On Wednesday, January 26, the East Coast got hit with a snowstorm of smaller proportions then what you all are going through out there today. St. Joe's was scheduled to play across town at La Salle and that game was postponed to the next day Januray 27th. Last year, the Bills were already in Richmond and tip was at noon when a snow storm hit there. The game was played. Here, when high schools cancel classes, they cancel all activities. SLU has canceled school today as I understand it. Do similar circumstances apply here? With SLU in Philly last year, and another massive storm hitting, the games at St. Joe's and La Salle went on. What happens when the governor declares a state of emergency as has already happened there? Will that be lifted by tomorrow? Game could easily push up to Thursday as I see it. Wish I was there. I'll be on channel surfing nonetheless.

It's actually not that bad out and they seem to be dialing back the snow prediction now. Unless you are north or pretty far west, it looks like only medium snowfall. By tomorrow evening, I doubt it will be that big of a deal, except for parking (unless you park in the garage which I do not). Of course, the crowd will be small, so maybe parking won't be a big deal.

Majerus, Moser, and the assistant coaches are at Chaifetz. There's not many cars there, but they are. The lot hasn't even been plowed yet.

No footsteps of basketball players heading over to practice, but it is still very early in the day. I bet the game is on.

It's actually not that bad out and they seem to be dialing back the snow prediction now. Unless you are north or pretty far west, it looks like only medium snowfall. By tomorrow evening, I doubt it will be that big of a deal, except for parking (unless you park in the garage which I do not). Of course, the crowd will be small, so maybe parking won't be a big deal.

This article from an hour or so ago says the city and county will receive at least 6-12 inches on top of the frozen rain and sleet that has been piling up all day. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_6340e01f-16f6-55c9-b739-7f07c33e37a7.html

This article from an hour or so ago says the city and county will receive at least 6-12 inches on top of the frozen rain and sleet that has been piling up all day. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_6340e01f-16f6-55c9-b739-7f07c33e37a7.html

Blues game tonight is cancelled and they are generally predicting about 10 inches for most of st Louis. It depends on when the snow stops bit I could easily see the game being moved to Thursday.

Blues game tonight is cancelled and they are generally predicting about 10 inches for most of st Louis. It depends on when the snow stops bit I could easily see the game being moved to Thursday.

Maybe it is a timing thing or a geographical thing, but other than sleet, it has yet to snow here. Maybe a 1/2 inch of sleet if that. I know it is worse way out west and north, but unless it gets a lot worse tonight, I think they will play for sure tomorrow.

Its only a matter of time that the blizzard warning is downgraded to a few inches of snow. This ice/sleet sucks though

These forecasters really piss me off. We closed our offices early yesterday because of the big bad ice storm that never happened. Then, we closed our offices today because of the blizzard that, so far at least, is nothing but about 1/2 inch of sleet - big deal!!!! These guys need to get their act together. Someone sneezes and they predict a hurricane!

These forecasters really piss me off. We closed our offices early yesterday because of the big bad ice storm that never happened. Then, we closed our offices today because of the blizzard that, so far at least, is nothing but about 1/2 inch of sleet - big deal!!!! These guys need to get their act together. Someone sneezes and they predict a hurricane!

Our office was closed today as well. Could of made it in easily today.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/article_74349942-2e43-11e0-a78b-00127992bc8b.html

The Blues have called off their game tonight against Colorado. SLU will make a decision on its game on Wednesday with UMass on Wednesday afternoon.

SLU will assess the situation on Wednesday morning and decide whether to play. There's good reason to expect the game to be played. UMass got into town on Monday night, so they're here, and the officials are expected to be here. (The crew for the game was juggled so the refs weren't coming in from the East Coast.) If the storm has passed by midday Wednesday, as anticipated, that should allow SLU to play the game. The SLU campus was closed on Tuesday, and if it's closed again on Wednesday, that could complicate matters.

Very latest from National Weather Service:

* ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE AROUND 8

INCHES IN THE ST. LOUIS METRO AREA TO 20 INCHES OVER CENTRAL

AND NORTHEAST MISSOURI AS WELL AS WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS.

* WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHWESTERLY WINDS WILL GUST TO 40 MPH TONIGHT.

THE WINDS WILL GRADUALLY DIMINISH ON WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS ROAD CONDITIONS FROM THE HEAVY

SNOW ACCUMULATION AND EXTENSIVE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL

CAUSE TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS INTO THURSDAY. THE WINDS

WILL CAUSE THE SNOW DRIFT SEVERAL FEET DEEP WITH VISIBILITIES

BELOW 1/4 MILE AT TIMES IN BLOWING SNOW.

Weather forecasters are who they are.

so it goes.

Very latest from National Weather Service:

* ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE AROUND 8

INCHES IN THE ST. LOUIS METRO AREA TO 20 INCHES OVER CENTRAL

AND NORTHEAST MISSOURI AS WELL AS WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS.

* WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHWESTERLY WINDS WILL GUST TO 40 MPH TONIGHT.

THE WINDS WILL GRADUALLY DIMINISH ON WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS ROAD CONDITIONS FROM THE HEAVY

SNOW ACCUMULATION AND EXTENSIVE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL

CAUSE TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS INTO THURSDAY. THE WINDS

WILL CAUSE THE SNOW DRIFT SEVERAL FEET DEEP WITH VISIBILITIES

BELOW 1/4 MILE AT TIMES IN BLOWING SNOW.

Weather forecasters are who they are.

so it goes.

Weather forcasters do their best and rely on data from the technology they have. I would bet they are closer to being right more times than being wrong and they will always error on the side of caution.

People need to realize that ultimately we will never be able to be 100% accurate on weather conditions. That's why I am so surprised such bold statements are made on weather topics. You know who said all these winter storms are caused by Global Warming. Unreal. I get the whole weather vs. climate thing, but come on. I guess I should look forward to Global Freezing then.

****Disclaimer - not meant to start a political discussion. Just making a point of how unpredictable weather is and always will be.

After shoveling for 45 minutes and getting only 1/3 of the driveway done I don't share your opinion that 1/2 inch of sleet is not a big deal.