OT: It is NOT...

MB73

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is any need to feel threatened by women. They deserve fair coverage as well, the "they are girls" line is clearly the thought of a dinosaur out of touch with modern society.

Also heck yeah it is comparable to UCLA. The parity in the men's game of the 70s is roughly the same as the women's game of today. So congrats UCONN. Frankly more people should be paying attention to this, it is the biggest story in the sport of basketball this year.

I don't think there is any need to feel threatened by women. They deserve fair coverage as well, the "they are girls" line is clearly the thought of a dinosaur out of touch with modern society.

Also heck yeah it is comparable to UCLA. The parity in the men's game of the 70s is roughly the same as the women's game of today. So congrats UCONN. Frankly more people should be paying attention to this, it is the biggest story in the sport of basketball this year.

I dont think they deserve fair coverage.

The mens teams are what makes the money and the mens teams are what people tune in to watch on TV.

Why do the women deserve the same coverage when thats not what 95% of people want to see?

The streak is very impressive though.

And it is a record. The womens record for consecutive wins.

Just like UCLA holds the Mens record for consecutive wins.

... the longest streak in basketball D-1 history. They are girls. They say that about the U. Conn girls on ESPN every 2 minutes. UCLA still holds the record. Not comperable. No way.

Screw it, I'll play devil's advocate. It is still division 1 basketball right? Court 94 ft long, 50 feet wide? Sure the 3 pt line is a little closer but they still play 2s and 3s. 1 for a free throw still. They abide by the same recruiting rules. They play 40 minutes. If they still played old school wbball rules where I think it was 2 players had to play defense at all times then I would agree.

+1

no knock on wooden and his boys..but the competition wasn't amazing, I highly doubt his teams today would be able to withstand that streak

Props to them. Frankly, I don't care. The universes are not the same. Men versus women. The seventies versus the 2000s. The athleticism. The speed and physicality of the game. Longest winning streak in a collegaite team sport. I hop ethey get to triple digits. But I don't care.

As an option for my disposable entertainemnt dollar --- not even on the horizon. Maybe we hire Geno to replace Rick???? I'm kidding but I'd love to see what he could do moving over to the men's gamne. Just curious.

+1

no knock on wooden and his boys..but the competition wasn't amazing, I highly doubt his teams today would be able to withstand that streak

Let me ask you, were you born after or to young to follow and appreciate NCAA basketball before the Wooden era?

I seen them play in Pauley with Jabbar in the late 60's and I witnessed the 73 NCAA's here in St Louis with Walton, trust me Wooden was amazing.

I agree NCAA basketball has changed but whose to say Wooden wouldn't not changed to keep the streak alive. As a coach the man was a genius.

wooden no doubt was a good coach. what i liked about him in hindsight was he didnt overcoach. he really kept it pretty simple on the court but emphasized personal growth both on and off the court and i really think that was the key to his success.

well that and the fact he was miles ahead of the rest of the college basketball world with coast to coast recruiting. i dont think many programs recruited much out of a self defined region. coach wooden's "region" was the entire country. and it sure didnt hurt that he recruited talented players.

but still look at wooden's "pyramid of success" sometime. by the time a wooden player was a senior, according to interviews with wooden, that player had fulfilled those 15 traits to the best of their ability. and that defined wooden's success.

i think a lot of the successful coaches when you reflect on their success you see a lot of the same traits in their players. i knock coach k a lot for some of his gray smoke, but all in all, you have to admit his players for the most part fit "the pyramid". same with knight or smith.

does gino do the same? i dont know enough about the women's game to say that. but interviews i have seen tend to tell me he is likely a lot like coach wooden. same with his arch rival pat summit. get the players, but then develop them as thinking adults and harness the maximum effort.

like taj, i sure would love to see the likes of gino or pat summit get a chance on the men's side of coaching. it would be interesting to see if they would have the same success. my guess is they would. leaders lead, regardless of the players concerned.

I'm in accord with those who aren't threatened by women...and...with those who say it is an impressive feat.

It is not comparable to the past decades UCLA men's streak. It's not even comparable to different era women's streaks. It's only comparable to current era women's streaks and teams. UCLA men are only comparable to men's teams and and streaks of that era. Teams can only be compared when they play under the same circumstances during the same time period.

One wouldn't be able to compare Albert Pujols and Stand Musial. Both great platers from different time periods and eras.

Countless Bears fans have regarded Devin Hester as the best return man ever after breaking the all time record for that but realistically all they can say talk about is his era.

UConn's women's streak? Good for them. UCLA men? Good for them.

Screw it, I'll play devil's advocate. It is still division 1 basketball right? Court 94 ft long, 50 feet wide? Sure the 3 pt line is a little closer but they still play 2s and 3s. 1 for a free throw still. They abide by the same recruiting rules. They play 40 minutes. If they still played old school wbball rules where I think it was 2 players had to play defense at all times then I would agree.

agreeing with you.

No one said it was the longest men's winning streak in d1 basketball. What's being said is it's the longest winning streak in d1 basketball ... which it is. Whether you care or not is a different issue. But it is the record, it's undisputable.

As many of you know, I coach girls. Though the ability to run faster and jump higher belong to the men, the ability to compete and execucute the fundamentals of the game doesn't always fall on the mens side. If you'd take the mens game out of your head and just enjoy the womens game for what it is, you might see something you like now and then. For those of you who don't like it because the athleticism isn't as great, it seems a little contradictory that you'd like SLU basketball or college basketball at all.

wooden also was a proven cheater. if uconn is cheating, its not to the level that UCLA was. so maybe we should give uconn the nod on this whole thing. its like asking who's the home run king. is it barry bonds (the cheater) or roger maris?

wooden no doubt was a good coach. what i liked about him in hindsight was he didnt overcoach. he really kept it pretty simple on the court but emphasized personal growth both on and off the court and i really think that was the key to his success.

well that and the fact he was miles ahead of the rest of the college basketball world with coast to coast recruiting. i dont think many programs recruited much out of a self defined region. coach wooden's "region" was the entire country. and it sure didnt hurt that he recruited talented players.

but still look at wooden's "pyramid of success" sometime. by the time a wooden player was a senior, according to interviews with wooden, that player had fulfilled those 15 traits to the best of their ability. and that defined wooden's success.

i think a lot of the successful coaches when you reflect on their success you see a lot of the same traits in their players. i knock coach k a lot for some of his gray smoke, but all in all, you have to admit his players for the most part fit "the pyramid". same with knight or smith.

does gino do the same? i dont know enough about the women's game to say that. but interviews i have seen tend to tell me he is likely a lot like coach wooden. same with his arch rival pat summit. get the players, but then develop them as thinking adults and harness the maximum effort.

like taj, i sure would love to see the likes of gino or pat summit get a chance on the men's side of coaching. it would be interesting to see if they would have the same success. my guess is they would. leaders lead, regardless of the players concerned.

agreeing with you.

No one said it was the longest men's winning streak in d1 basketball. What's being said is it's the longest winning streak in d1 basketball ... which it is. Whether you care or not is a different issue. But it is the record, it's undisputable.

As many of you know, I coach girls. Though the ability to run faster and jump higher belong to the men, the ability to compete and execucute the fundamentals of the game doesn't always fall on the mens side. If you'd take the mens game out of your head and just enjoy the womens game for what it is, you might see something you like now and then. For those of you who don't like it because the athleticism isn't as great, it seems a little contradictory that you'd like SLU basketball or college basketball at all.

I enjoy watching women's basketball. I have played against girls who are very talented and could stack up against a lot of solid men's players. But I still believe that the St. Louis Eagles could beat that UConn team. In fact, I think Chaminade could beat that UConn team.

However, that DOES NOT take away from this record. They played 89 games in a row without losing, and we should take that record for what it is. But I don't think it does any sense to compare it in any way with the UCLA record. UCLA broke the men's record. UConn broke the women's record. In the current scheme of things, men's basketball is more important so the UCLA record is probably more important.

But those girls beat other girls or Two and a half straight years and that's incredible.

For anybody that thinks its comparable, you should have been at the sports bar last night when that game came on ESPN and the bar changed the channel to get it off the TV.

Thank you bar.

Exactly.

There are > 300 mens D-1 basketball teams because of economics. Demand. Revenue. It is extremely competitive.

There are > 300 girls teams due to Title 9.

I agree with an earlier poster that Chaminade could beat the U.Conn woman's team.

Congrats to U.Conn women on their winning streak, but do not plaster it all over the media (it's everywhere) as surpassing the UCLA men's record. That is crappola, out of control PC.

Exactly.

There are > 300 mens D-1 basketball teams because of economics. Demand. Revenue. It is extremely competitive.

I agree with an earlier poster that Chaminade could beat the U.Conn woman's team.

Congrats to U.Conn women on their winning streak, but do not plaster it all over the media (it's everywhere) as surpassing the UCLA men's record. That is crappola, out of control PC.

They surpassed a division 1 basketball record. UCLA still owns the men's record.

Exactly.

Don't take it personal. I don't think its due to PC. I think its due to the fact that ESPN is showing the games and they need to increase viewers.

Man there are some mentally slow people who participate in discussions on this board. No one said the women were better than the men. However, the UConn women do now own the longest winning streak in d1 basketball. It's simple, disagree all you want, you'll still be wrong.

The Lakers, Heat, Mavs, Celtics etc... could all beat the Bills. In fact the Bills rarely have a player who could even compete at the highest level, yet somehow we all care about the Bills results and watch their games. Why? I mean if it isn't basketball at the highest level, is it relevent?