OT: It is NOT...

MB73

let me bring us back to the topic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=5937356

Old video but interesting question. "Is this good for women's basketball?"

My answer is no. It shows that competitive landscape in women's basketball is completely different than in men's basketball.

Women's basketball is more about raw talent than men's basketball and this just goes to prove that. The Men's NCAA tournament is always more exciting to watch because any team can beat any team almost any game. That's what makes it exciting. This is not the case for women's basketball.

Yep.

Broy said something about U Conn's coach (do not know his name) coaching a men's team.

SO why hasn't a big NCAA men's program hired him away? (let me guess... no, nevermind).

Maybe UCLA should hire him, he beat Wooden's record.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is indeed a fact in terms of the numbers. You seem to be having some trouble with numbers. You also seem to be having trouble understanding that the highest interest is for the highest level leagues in any sport, at its level.

Your definition of an average fan is an opinion. You've had plenty of opinions in this thread, but yet, you only post facts. Give me a break.

I was the one who informed you that European pro soccer leagues had more interest in the U.S. than MLS. One of the league tv deals is currently under negotiation. The average fan has more interest in European soccer leagues than in MLS to this point. MLS is in its infancy stages in the U.S. Complete European soccer coverage is also in its infancy stages in the U.S. For reasons unknown you clearly have a different timetable. The interest and ratings are up for the European leagues. And, while interest in the U.S. is less for MLS than the top European Leagues, the league tv deals will be increasing sizeably from previous levels. ...those are the facts. You can like, dislike, say yippie or whatever you'd like...doesn't matter, don't care...I simply gave the facts.

No, I didn't make a factually incorrect statement. You made a statement, then you changed your statement in a later post.

Now I see you say the statement that the future of any sports popularity is known. This differs with your repeated assertion that golf was popular long before Tiger Woods and it will be as popular long after Tiger Woods. That is unknown at best.

I changed nothing. You simply didn't understand plain English even when quotes were thrown in your face.

You are implying that golf will go away when Tiger is gone, and that simply isn't true.

As far as soccer interest goes, it's hard to fall off the floor. I like soccer and understand that it is years behind other major sports. That's why smaller venues at its inception would have been a good idea (like maybe 10-12K in a city that cares about the game). An increase from $1 to $2 might be a fact. It's also a fact that it is peanuts. Woo hoo, revenue might go up to about $2 million per team. The fact is that number represents peanuts and it will take some time before we're talking about real money and ratings for soccer in the US.

"any way you want to slice it"

Yep.

Broy said something about U Conn's coach (do not know his name) coaching a men's team.

SO why hasn't a big NCAA men's program hired him away? (let me guess... no, nevermind).

Maybe UCLA should hire him, he beat Wooden's record.

He's had the offers. He has turned them down. He said he is not interested in coaching men. Some coaches prefer to coach women and it's not because it is easier.

I changed nothing. You simply didn't understand plain English even when quotes were thrown in your face.

You are implying that golf will go away when Tiger is gone, and that simply isn't true.

As far as soccer interest goes, it's hard to fall off the floor. I like soccer and understand that it is years behind other major sports. That's why smaller venues at its inception would have been a good idea (like maybe 10-12K in a city that cares about the game). An increase from $1 to $2 might be a fact. It's also a fact that it is peanuts. Woo hoo, revenue might go up to about $2 million per team. The fact is that number represents peanuts and it will take some time before we're talking about real money and ratings for soccer in the US.

"any way you want to slice it"

This will be my final direct post to you in this thread. I belive the topics have been exhausted enough in this thread.

I did not imply golf would go away when Tiger went away. On the contrary, you've repeatedly held the assertion that golf has been popular long before Tiger and will be equally so long after Tiger. I did not say golf would "go away." What I did say repeatedly to exhaustion is that golf declined prior to Tiger Woods and that since Tiger Woods has come along, golf has shown that ratings are double and triple better when Tiger Woods plays and plays in contention. Golf has yet to show in modern times that it can have anywhere near the ratings without a highly successful Tiger Woods. Golf also will be continuing to compete with more sports and more channels for viewers. We'll see what happens down the road, but right now, and for many years, Tiger Woods has carried golf.

Soccer? The problem with your statement is I never compared soccer to any other sport. What I did say repeatedly is ratings are better for European Leagues than U.S. Leagues. That is a fact, and not an opinion. And, games are shown at far worse times, on for worse days of the week. MLS which has not delivered ratings as high as European Leagues, will go from a few million dollars towards $30 million in combined television revenue. This is growth. You may not like it or care, but it's growth. It took over 100 years for the English Premier League to become a $3 billion plus league. MLS is in its second decade. It's not an overnight process. You may not have the patience to understand that. Again, soccer is compared to soccer. Golf is compared to golf, etc...

In terms of venues. MLS began in exisitng venues to limit costs. The league was not going to wait for all of its teams to build new venues before playing games.

Go back to the thread...the biggest point remains the same. People watch and want to see leagues at their highest levels. If people watch pro hoops, they'll watch NBA, not D League, Euro Leagues, or WNBA...more. In college hoops, Men's D-1 will be watched more than Men's D-2, D-3, NAIA, or women's etc...and so on and so forth. This viewerships includes women, who up until now, prefer to watch men than women, overall. There will always be exceptions. But that's what it is overall.

Enjoy the thread.

Your definition of an average fan is an opinion. You've had plenty of opinions in this thread, but yet, you only post facts. Give me a break.

Threads are a combination of facts and opinions. An average fan could be an immigrant fresh off the boat, could be a suburban soccer mom, could be anybody. All would be included in being an average fan. They are all fans. More of these people are watching the Professional leagues in Europe than the professional leagues in the U.S. When one comes up with the average soccer fan in the U.S. One comes up with someone watching the European Leagues more than the U.S. Leagues.

You don't really provide anything new or of any depth to the discussion of fact or analysis. Unless you have something specific of depth to add to the topic for discussion, that's all I have for you for this thread.

Threads are a combination of facts and opinions. An average fan could be an immigrant fresh off the boat, could be a suburban soccer mom, could be anybody. All would be included in being an average fan. They are all fans. More of these people are watching the Professional leagues in Europe than the professional leagues in the U.S. When one comes up with the average soccer fan in the U.S. One comes up with someone watching the European Leagues more than the U.S. Leagues.

You don't really provide anything new or of any depth to the discussion of fact or analysis. Unless you have something specific of depth to add to the topic for discussion, that's all I have for you for this thread.

That's your opinion of what an average fan is. It's not a fact.

You're the one that said you only post facts. You're wrong. I could not care less whether you think I bring anything to the thread. I like to point out when your wrong.

Keep posting those "facts".

That's your opinion of what an average fan is. It's not a fact.

You're the one that said you only post facts. You're wrong. I could not care less whether you think I bring anything to the thread. I like to point out when your wrong.

Keep posting those "facts".

Nope, not wrong. And, again, you have nothing to bring to the discussion.

And you have no clue if more "average" fans are watching the European games. You only know gross numbers based on ratings. You have no clue how those numbers break down. Heck, there could be 500,000 english hooligans watching the EPL and not watching MLS. And I would hardly call those folks the "average" fan.

So you really believe you only post facts?

Nope. I said above in which you didn't read that threads are about facts, opinions, etc...analysis, other...etc...

If you have something of depth relevant to the topics of the thread, go ahead and contribute. You don't seem to be able to do so.

And you have no clue if more "average" fans are watching the European games. You only know gross numbers based on ratings. You have no clue how those numbers break down. Heck, there could be 500,000 english hooligans watching the EPL and not watching MLS. And I would hardly call those folks the "average" fan.

So, an English Hooligan is more of an average fan to you than a suburban soccer mom? Not so. A viewer is a viewer, one doesn't count any more than another.

Nope. I said above in which you didn't read that threads are about facts, opinions, etc...analysis, other...etc...

If you have something of depth relevant to the topics of the thread, go ahead and contribute. You don't seem to be able to do so.

You're the one that stated that you only post facts.

So, an English Hooligan is more of an average fan to you than a suburban soccer mom? Not so. A viewer is a viewer, one doesn't count any more than another.

An English hooligan is not an average fan. They skew the numbers you are using to support your argument (European games get more fans, thus average fans only want to watch the highest level of games).

Doowop UConn could beat Chaminade, really? Just answer me one question. Who the hell is going to stop Brad Beal? You sound like an idiot when you say stupid things like that. You make Billiken Roy sound smart. Chaminade would beat every WNBA team no question.

Doowop UConn could beat Chaminade, really? Just answer me one question. Who the hell is going to stop Brad Beal? You sound like an idiot when you say stupid things like that. You make Billiken Roy sound smart. Chaminade would beat every WNBA team no question.

The shot at Roy was unnecessary.

I don't think doowop sounds idiotic, either. He just has a different opinion.