Kowal under investigation

RiseAndGrind

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it just me, or did Andy Katz seem a little sassy about the whole subject?

It's just you.

I'm not sure Kowal isn't somewhat guilty in his misleading of NIU, but in this case, it doesn't sound like the punishment fits the crime.

It's just you.

I'm not sure Kowal isn't somewhat guilty in his misleading of NIU, but in this case, it doesn't sound like the punishment fits the crime.

My take from reading that article is that NIU feels like he was tampered with (best guess is they think SLU did the tampering) hence them being unwilling to release him immediately. Once they were pressured to release him they informed the NCAA of their concern and the NCAA basically jumped as soon as he talked to us (first time they have moved fast on something, perhaps ever).

Based on Kowal's strong assertion that he did nothing wrong and that he has turned over everything necessary, we likely have nothing to worry about (of course that could just be my wishful thinking).

p.s. what kind of a creep is Patton to screw over a kid that had followed him from Colorado to NIU. If he felt something was shady he needed to handle it man to man, not by calling the NCAA.

Of course it's a disappointment we aren't going to have that extra depth, but it's not a big deal. This clears up why nothing had taken place, though, because previously I had heard he was going to be a Billiken. I honestly feel like Kowal can only blame himself, as he said in the article, he wasn't upfront with NIU when he first requested to be realeased, obviously that raised some suspicion from their viewpoint. I think we're in the clear, but I can see why NIU felt there may have been tampering.

The truth of the matter on Kowal and why he isn't a Billiken is that his grades were not good enough to get into the graduate school.

As far as the Billikens cheating, let's get serious. You don't cheat to get a kid that at best would be a third string center behind Willie and Cory, and merely would be used as a body in practice. I am quoting someone from within the basketball program. We haven't cheated to get any player that is in Majerus era, and I don't think you would change your philosophy over a player like this.

So for all of you who want to predict that the sky is falling--go ahead and. But the reality is we did nothing wrong and I am not sure from what I have been told that we would have taken him even if he could have gotten into school. It would have meant taking a scholarship away from Paul Eckerle who is the team leader behind closed doors. I can just hear the criticism of that move.

Of course it's a disappointment we aren't going to have that extra depth, but it's not a big deal. This clears up why nothing had taken place, though, because previously I had heard he was going to be a Billiken. I honestly feel like Kowal can only blame himself, as he said in the article, he wasn't upfront with NIU when he first requested to be realeased, obviously that raised some suspicion from their viewpoint. I think we're in the clear, but I can see why NIU felt there may have been tampering.

Or he could walk on and ignore the NCAA until they sort things-Creighton or somewhere else would give him a clean name-does he just stop his life now based on some board?

The truth of the matter on Kowal and why he isn't a Billiken is that his grades were not good enough to get into the graduate school.

As far as the Billikens cheating, let's get serious. You don't cheat to get a kid that at best would be a third string center behind Willie and Cory, and merely would be used as a body in practice. I am quoting someone from within the basketball program. We haven't cheated to get any player that is in Majerus era, and I don't think you would change your philosophy over a player like this.

So for all of you who want to predict that the sky is falling--go ahead and. But the reality is we did nothing wrong and I am not sure from what I have been told that we would have taken him even if he could have gotten into school. It would have meant taking a scholarship away from Paul Eckerle who is the team leader behind closed doors. I can just hear the criticism of that move.

Who is acting like that?

That looks like libel to me unless you have evidence to back it up.

I'm so sick of these "insider" idiots who think because they once had a class with an athletic department intern's roommate that they are somehow plugged in.

If you are ballsy enough to expose yourself and name your sources then do it. Otherwise keep you damn mouth shut.

Libel? Really?

That looks like libel to me unless you have evidence to back it up.

I'm so sick of these "insider" idiots who think because they once had a class with an athletic department intern's roommate that they are somehow plugged in.

If you are ballsy enough to expose yourself and name your sources then do it. Otherwise keep you damn mouth shut.

Exactly! He is like the coach when Majerus isn't able to control practices. I've seen him instructing young guys before and he is a fantastic leader and role model for young players.

I have Paul on my fantasy team...

Libel? Really?

It might not be too much of a stretch. If it could be proven that Billiken Bob's post is false and that he made the claims knowing they were false, such a case might be made. The comments might put Sean Kowal in a light that might be considered to be unfavorable. Not terribly confident that posting lies on an internet message board would lead to damages which would justify the legal fees such a suit might incur, but the general principle might be there.

This whole situation is BS. So what if Kowal wasn't totally forthcoming about his intentions for leaving. Is that against the rules? The NCAA rules are so extensive and confusing that no regular person can be expected to know all of them. He may have not wanted to come out and say he wanted to leave on the off chance that he would decide to stay. They forced his hand and he said fine I want to leave and the school jerked him around and someone went to the NCAA about why he left. That someone most likely is his former school they are the only one's with the motive.

Can the NCAA compel a potential student athlete to produce his phone records in order to be cleared to play? That is a very invasive process. I understand the school keeps records of calls made (anyone not named Kelvin Sampson or Calipari). How about this ask NIU what proof they have? Go to that school review the phone call logs if no calls to Kowal then ask Kowal anyone contact you? He says no we all move on.

I'm an experienced investigator perhaps I should become familiar with the NCAA rules and start a biz advising schools and athletes on how to answer these witch....inquiries.

This whole situation really irks me and the NCAA is getting on my last nerve.

Patton is a scumbag. Tries to hold his player hostage and when said player speaks out he lets the NCAA do the dirty work.

If the NCAA hasn't made a ruling yet, which it appears they haven't then Kowal should sue for the remainder of his tuition costs. The NCAA didn't say anyone was cheating, they just sat on the allegations without making a ruling one way or another. Now if they even rule in Kowal's favor he cannot get a scholarship because his 6 years is up since school has already started. They made a guilty ruling in effect without making one. I hope Sean takes the NCAA for everything they have.

This whole situation is BS. So what if Kowal wasn't totally forthcoming about his intentions for leaving. Is that against the rules? The NCAA rules are so extensive and confusing that no regular person can be expected to know all of them. He may have not wanted to come out and say he wanted to leave on the off chance that he would decide to stay. They forced his hand and he said fine I want to leave and the school jerked him around and someone went to the NCAA about why he left. That someone most likely is his former school they are the only one's with the motive.

Can the NCAA compel a potential student athlete to produce his phone records in order to be cleared to play? That is a very invasive process. I understand the school keeps records of calls made (anyone not named Kelvin Sampson or Calipari). How about this ask NIU what proof they have? Go to that school review the phone call logs if no calls to Kowal then ask Kowal anyone contact you? He says no we all move on.

I'm an experienced investigator perhaps I should become familiar with the NCAA rules and start a biz advising schools and athletes on how to answer these witch....inquiries.

This whole situation really irks me and the NCAA is getting on my last nerve.

Membership in the NCAA is strictly voluntary so if SLU wants to be part of the NCAA they must follow the group's rules. Kowal does not have to produce anything but he would forfeit his right to play at any NCAA sponsored school. If he want to go to an NCAA sponsored school then he will have to jump through the hoops.

As far as libel - very hard to prove - what you have to prove is the that the person making the false statements was motivated for some self interest or other purpose. In this case I doubt Billiken Bob is reporting anything that meets this criteria. Just to say something bad about a person is not enough - if that was true we all would be sued for calling somebody a stupid idiot or something else.