and people wonder why some of us hate mi$$ouri fans

billiken_roy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

brian, my point starting the thread was simply to point out the air that a typical mi$$ouri fan comes across. they flat out suck.

OK first of all, the game against Georgetown may not be technically a tournament but it was game scheduled by a third party and not done directly by MU or Georgetown so my premise is still accurate. So, just as we can not claim credit for playing Iowa State and ND last year as our scheduling coups they can not claim this as theirs. Second, regardless of what their schedule is this year, my comment was based on what they had done in the past - to inject this year's schedule into the conversation given that even you admit they had not released this years schedule yet makes for my point to be valid - they have historically played weak non conference home games. Third, the Big 12/10 Challenge is not their doing - once again a third party set it up and they had little if any control over the scheduling of that game. My point simply was that they have not in the past played a tough non conf schedule - should they of course just as we should do so whenever possible.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I said Mizzou plays really soft schedules and I am sure outside of the games known about for this coming season there schedule will likely be all cupcakes.

Did Mike DeArmond attend Missouri Journalism School? That degree just devalued a bit in my mind. He writes like a second-rate college sports columnist. I felt like I was reading Metz's blog. The writers for my high school newspaper were significantly better than this clown.

Not only does he resort to the lame, limp, tired "nothing to gain" argument- he actually uses the phrase. I guess he wasn't alive during Quin Snyder's first three seasons when the programs actually played each other, selling out Savvis and Hearnes and putting damn near 30,000 in the Dome. I guess fan support, TV and gate revenue, and large regional interest and coverage fall under "nothing to gain".

Be honest about what "nothing to gain" means from the program that refuses to play the game: you're afraid. Mizzou respects SLU more than all the buy games on their schedule but not as much as established BCS programs, so they pretend they're too good to bother with the Bills. In actuality, they're just scared.

Quite an attitude for a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 program.

Did Mike DeArmond attend Missouri Journalism School? That degree just devalued a bit in my mind. He writes like a second-rate college sports columnist. I felt like I was reading Metz's blog. The writers for my high school newspaper were significantly better than this clown.

Not only does he resort to the lame, limp, tired "nothing to gain" argument- he actually uses the phrase. I guess he wasn't alive during Quin Snyder's first three seasons when the programs actually played each other, selling out Savvis and Hearnes and putting damn near 30,000 in the Dome. I guess fan support, TV and gate revenue, and large regional interest and coverage fall under "nothing to gain".

Be honest about what "nothing to gain" means from the program that refuses to play the game: you're afraid. Mizzou respects SLU more than all the buy games on their schedule but not as much as established BCS programs, so they pretend they're too good to bother with the Bills. In actuality, they're just scared.

Quite an attitude for a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 program.

Ultimately what DeArmond thinks or any other haughty Mizzou fan thinks is immaterial. We don't need to play Mizzou to get where this program needs to go. Screw 'em. Let's take care of business with the schedule that is in front of us and stop trying to win the approval of the Mizzou faithful.

Ultimately what DeArmond thinks or any other haughty Mizzou fan thinks is immaterial. We don't need to play Mizzou to get where this program needs to go. Screw 'em. Let's take care of business with the schedule that is in front of us and stop trying to win the approval of the Mizzou faithful.

Hellz yeah.

SLU fans shouldn't have took Mike's bait. The guy flat out doesn't matter. He writes for the third rate Star about a team that plays second fiddle to KU in that hick town.

I would like to see us take the lead on this issue and schedule at least 3 games every year with other Missouri teams. Mo State - every year

UMKC, SEMO, Central Mo St, NW MO St, Truman and Rockhurst - pick 2 or 3 a year from this group.

Then ask the state taxpayer funded better than all the rest if they would like to be included in either group.

It would be fun to schedule a "Best of Missouri" tourney every year with 3 of those teams, and let MO Fans see what a Program with guts looks like. Come on State U. If you think you are so great then how could you possibly lose to litl' ole SLU?

Agreed.....Let's take care of this year's scheule. We might not have a snow balls chance in hell but getting Duke on the schedule is exciting. Screw Mizzou!

Excellent point--we are playing the Defending National Champs who just so happen to be one of, if not the best team over the last 20 years. We are playing Duke this year, not playing the kitties from columbia is of little consequence.

Now I will disagree that we don't have a chance against Duke. Sure they have won something like 80 occ home games in a row, but every streak gets broken.

For the record though, I would love to see us play them every year.

It needs to be scheduled these 2 teams have a lot of history with one an other. It looks like MU had things figured out when they played us almost every year but when they started getting big heads they decided to get rid of the traditional SLU MU game.

The stats below are off of MUTIGERS.com archives

Here is the series record between the two.

Missouri has played more games against Saint Louis University (40) than any other non-conference opponent.

SERIES HISTORY

ST. LOUIS

(Tigers lead, 21-19)

12-14-31 W, 25-23 at St. Louis

1-9-33 L, 20-27 at St. Louis

12-9-33 W, 26-23 at Columbia

1-27-34 L, 26-30 at St. Louis

12-21-34 L, 18-33 at St. Louis

12-14-35 L, 30-37 at Columbia

2-27-36 W, 31-22 at St. Louis

12-8-36 W, 31-26 at St. Louis

2-13-37 W, 41-27 at Columbia

12-11-37 W, 35-33 at Columbia

12-17-37 L, 24-31 at St. Louis

12-17-38 W, 42-30 at Columbia

12-21-38 L, 27-35 at St. Louis

12-16-39 W, 54-45 at Columbia

12-21-39 W, 48-34 at St. Louis

12-14-40 W, 34-21 at St. Louis

2-12-41 W, 39-24 at Columbia

12-9-41 W, 52-29 at St. Louis

1-6-42 W, 39-24 at Columbia

12-21-45 L, 35-50 at St. Louis

2-5-46 L, 34-40 at Columbia

12-9-46 W, 48-44 at St. Louis

2-6-47 L, 35-36 at St. Louis

12-15-47 L, 34-54 at Columbia

2-4-48 L, 36-49 at St. Louis

2-2-49 L, 27-38 at Columbia

3-10-49 L, 37-54 at St. Louis

12-21-63 L, 65-72 at St. Louis

12-12-64 W, 62-56 at Columbia

12-11-65 L, 55-81 at St. Louis

12-10-66 L, 71-73 OT at Columbia

12-13-67 L, 66-77 at Columbia

12-20-68 W, 91-62 at St. Louis

12-9-69 W, 66-61 at Columbia

12-8-70 L, 70-79 at St. Louis

12-22-79 W, 77-75 OT at St. Louis

12-13-80 W, 76-58 at Columbia

12-12-99 L, 72-75 at St. Louis

12-9-00 W, 77-73 at Columbia

12-3-01 W, 69-67 at St. Louis

at Columbia: SLU leads, 12-10

at St. Louis: MU leads, 11-7

I would like to see us take the lead on this issue and schedule at least 3 games every year with other Missouri teams. Mo State - every year

UMKC, SEMO, Central Mo St, NW MO St, Truman and Rockhurst - pick 2 or 3 a year from this group.

Then ask the state taxpayer funded better than all the rest if they would like to be included in either group.

It would be fun to schedule a "Best of Missouri" tourney every year with 3 of those teams, and let MO Fans see what a Program with guts looks like. Come on State U. If you think you are so great then how could you possibly lose to litl' ole SLU?

We just don't have the available games to accomplish this. We already play the best non-Mizzou team each year (MO State) along with local SIUC (local though not located in Missouri). We have scheduled SEMO and also this is our second year with Rockhurst. I no interest in playing non-D1 schools Central MO State and NW MO State and hope games with Rockhurst end b/c they are not D1. If we are going to play a non-D1 school, a fellow Jesuit school from the second largest market in the State is probably the right school. As to UMKC, they are D1 but they have an RPI of 300 and is now playing in their new and upgraded facilities which holds a whopping 1700 fans. Please. Most high school gyms hold that if - if not more. Thought we need to stay away from RPI killers. Play them in an exhibition game but the "Best of Missouri" is would not be good b/c our state lacks enough good teams.

What pisses me off about that is it was written by Mike DeArmond. He's not some punk kid in his basement writing on his blog but rather is the MU beat writer for the KC Star. Not exactly a classy post, even if it is in a blog forum. Could anyone imagine Timmerman writing something like that?

Its amazing the power of the print media. RM has said about 10 times over the last year on radio that he tried to schedule MU with no luck. Nobody cared. Today, I've had two casual fans come up to me and talk about why MU is scared to play the game. I've told them its been 8+ years that we've been trying to play them so I'm certainly not surprised now.

I just hope that the MU fans that frequent this board don't come here later in the year when we have a nice record and feel the need to tell us how much better they are than us (and MU should be very good even without Mitchell). A simple solution to prove that would have been a game but since their coach/AD are two chickensheat to play the game it will be left to us internet warriors to argue each side.

His son Gabe, runs the Rivals Power Mizzou site, he is hardly an objective writer.

-consider the source....this was a post on a blog, not something requiring journalistic standards, by a mizzou fan, he is being loyal to his team (more than some on here!!)

-the cover of the blog states that it is about KU, KSU and Mizzou, why would there be any expectation of a program other than those 3 being treated kindly?

-consider the source....this was a post on a blog, not something requiring journalistic standards, by a mizzou fan, he is being loyal to his team (more than some on here!!)

-the cover of the blog states that it is about KU, KSU and Mizzou, why would there be any expectation of a program other than those 3 being treated kindly?

Be that as it may, would Tom Timmerman ever put something like that up about any other program, no matter their relation to SLU? He speaks highly of everyone we are slated to play (or not play) and is more concerned with dispensing information and insights instead of trashing other programs needlessly and artlessly.

In fact, I wouldn't even expect anything this nakedly arrogant and poorly written from any of the Mizzou grads on the P-D staff. They might write something along the lines of the tired "nothing to gain" argument, but it would never be like this chump's blog entry.

First off, hi everybody! I just joined the board today. I'm a sophomore at SLU and will be in the Pep Band this year!

Second, it's always interesting to see how the big state schools handle scheduling the other teams in the state. I'm from Wisconsin and the UW always does a great job at scheduling the other D-1 schools. Obviously the UW-Marq game has become a great rivalry, but they play Milwaukee and GB too. And those series are 2-1. Last year UW went into GB and lost. I'd like to see some of the other state schools go into the smaller colleges home gyms. Its great for bball across the state.

First off, hi everybody! I just joined the board today. I'm a sophomore at SLU and will be in the Pep Band this year!

Second, it's always interesting to see how the big state schools handle scheduling the other teams in the state. I'm from Wisconsin and the UW always does a great job at scheduling the other D-1 schools. Obviously the UW-Marq game has become a great rivalry, but they play Milwaukee and GB too. And those series are 2-1. Last year UW went into GB and lost. I'd like to see some of the other state schools go into the smaller colleges home gyms. Its great for bball across the state.

Well put.

Welcome.

Be that as it may, would Tom Timmerman ever put something like that up about any other program, no matter their relation to SLU? He speaks highly of everyone we are slated to play (or not play) and is more concerned with dispensing information and insights instead of trashing other programs needlessly and artlessly.

In fact, I wouldn't even expect anything this nakedly arrogant and poorly written from any of the Mizzou grads on the P-D staff. They might write something along the lines of the tired "nothing to gain" argument, but it would never be like this chump's blog entry.

-i guess TT does what he thinks is right and so does the guy from kc, their views of right are just different (sort of like there are arguments on this board and there is supposed to be a commonality of who/what we are supporting)

-i guess TT does what he thinks is right and so does the guy from kc, their views of right are just different (sort of like there are arguments on this board and there is supposed to be a commonality of who/what we are supporting)

Cowboy, what the h#!! do you mean, we have arguments on this Board. That's one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted. What gives you the right to think you can post such trash on Billikens.com? Wait a minute, hold on I think I'm starting an argument!

Really I don't see why any of us are worried about Mizzou, besides the fact that it would be a good rpi game for us. What is their cache? Have they ever won the national championship? No. Have they ever been to the final four? Hell no! As far as I'm concerned we are pretty much equal; neither of us have won the NCAA's, although we have won the NIT long ago. Let's worry about someone who has actually won something. As a matter of fact, for a large state school they might have the most pathetic record in intercollegiate athletics of any comparable school in the country. They won the NCAA baseball championship in 1954 and the indoor track and field championship in 1965--that's it! They really have a lot to write home about, don't they? So let's all get over this gigantic conglomeration of douchebags. We are probably the only people whose goats they can get, and the fact that they revel in it makes them even more pathetic. No wonder they hate KU so much; KU actually wins championships.

C'mon ---- really? What did you expect? You talk about dinosaurs? Mizzou and its fans think this way --- despite having one great rivalry with Illinois that stands in testament to why these things work out well. Louisville/Kentucky? Wisconsin/Marquette? Indiana/Butler? Georgia/Georgia Tech? Tennessee/Memphis?

We need to unhitch our wagon from such Dark Ages thinking. We're there ---we'll play anytime. Call us. Rick did the right thing --- sounds like we negotiated (again) and they bailed. Throw it in the paper and let the court of public opinion weigh as it may. I don't see any negative here for Rick or SLU. Genius!

Really I don't see why any of us are worried about Mizzou, besides the fact that it would be a good rpi game for us. What is their cache? Have they ever won the national championship? No. Have they ever been to the final four? Hell no! As far as I'm concerned we are pretty much equal; neither of us have won the NCAA's, although we have won the NIT long ago. Let's worry about someone who has actually won something. As a matter of fact, for a large state school they might have the most pathetic record in intercollegiate athletics of any comparable school in the country. They won the NCAA baseball championship in 1954 and the indoor track and field championship in 1965--that's it! They really have a lot to write home about, don't they? So let's all get over this gigantic conglomeration of douchebags. We are probably the only people whose goats they can get, and the fact that they revel in it makes them even more pathetic. No wonder they hate KU so much; KU actually wins championships.

They can't even make it to the final 4.