Could Ellis mean Loe will follow?

SLUDrew

Let's go ahead and get greedy. Evidently Loe is "friends" (who knows how close they are) with Ellis and Salecich. Maybe now that CE is en route Loe will follow suit.

This blurb appeared in a blog apparently written by the beat writer for the Pitt Panthers:

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Q&A for December 17th

By Chris Dokish

Q: Do the Panthers have a chance with the big center from New Zealand, and do you think we will get a visit?

A: The big center, for the uninitiated, is 6'11" Rob Loe, and he already visited Pitt last weekend. Tom Herrion is the point man on this one and Pitt has a chance, but it may be an uphill battle. He is looking at St. Louis where he sees Rick Majerus as somebody who can get him to the NBA, and where he is friends with a few Aussie players on the team, Colorado, where head coach Jeff Bzdelik has been recruiting him for three years and was also a longtime assistant in the NBA, and Arizona, where his brother goes to school. So obviously it won't be easy.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on the current squad would have to transfer out in order for Loe to come. We're out of scholarships to give.

If Loe wants to be a Billiken, Kyle Cassity could make his biggest contribution to the program by transferring. We could send him a ring when we win the A-10.

If Loe wants to be a Billiken, Kyle Cassity could make his biggest contribution to the program by transferring. We could send him a ring when we win the A-10.

Kyle is less than 3/8ths through his college career, give hims ome time before you tell him to transfer.

Kyle is less than 3/8ths through his college career, give hims ome time before you tell him to transfer.

Agreed. The kid is a sophomore...The main problem we have is that he is too reserved in shooting. That is a much better problem than him throwing up nothing but bricks every possession.

Eckerle could give up his athletic scholarship and use his full ride academic scholarship instead.

Eckerle has already relinquished his athletic scholarship for next season.

1. Mitchell;

2. Reed;

3. Conklin;

4. Cassity;

5. John;

6. Ellis;

7. Salecich;

8. Smith;

9. Remekun;

10. Jordan;

11. Reid;

12. McCall;

13. Evans.

The only way another player could come on scholarship is if someone leaves or relinquishes one.

I can promise you that if Loe wants to be a Billiken next year, he will. Majerus will make it happen. Especially since rumors of someone transferring have already began to circulate.

If someone is going to transfer it won't be until after second semester unless its Reid. Everyone else is playing and using their full year of eligibility.

Eckerle has already relinquished his athletic scholarship for next season.

1. Mitchell;

2. Reed;

3. Conklin;

4. Cassity;

5. John;

6. Ellis;

7. Salecich;

8. Smith;

9. Remekun;

10. Jordan;

11. Reid;

12. McCall;

13. Evans.

The only way another player could come on scholarship is if someone leaves or relinquishes one.

Pg: Mitchell, McCall

Sg: Salecich, John, Cassity, Reid, Eckerle

SF: Evans

PF: Conklin, Ellis, Smith, Remuken, Smith

C: Reed, Loe

Leads me to believe it will either be Reid or Smith.

Pg: Mitchell, McCall

Sg: Salecich, John, Cassity, Reid, Eckerle

SF: Evans

PF: Conklin, Ellis, Smith, Remuken, Smith

C: Reed, Loe

Leads me to believe it will either be Reid or Smith.

Reid is a freshman who has been injured since the day he got here. Lord knows what Rick thinks of him. Cassity has been given plenty of playing time and laid an egg. The chances of Cassity improving are diminishing. Still a window but probability going down. No one can say much about Reid because he hasn't been healthy and hasn't played. What do the Billikens need on the bench given the roster you list above? A shooter who can play some 3. Who do you think can better fill that role, Cassity or Reid? Reid is both taller and reputed to be an excellent shooter. I have no idea how it will shake out but but you better put Cassity on the list with Smith and Reid.

Reid is a freshman who has been injured since the day he got here. Lord knows what Rick thinks of him. Cassity has been given plenty of playing time and laid an egg. The chances of Cassity improving are diminishing. Still a window but probability going down. No one can say much about Reid because he hasn't been healthy and hasn't played. What do the Billikens need on the bench given the roster you list above? A shooter who can play some 3. Who do you think can better fill that role, Cassity or Reid? Reid is both taller and reputed to be an excellent shooter. I have no idea how it will shake out but but you better put Cassity on the list with Smith and Reid.

I don't see Cassity leaving, thats just my opinion though.

Agreed. The kid is a sophomore...The main problem we have is that he is too reserved in shooting. That is a much better problem than him throwing up nothing but bricks every possession.

Oh he does that too when he does shoot. I like Kyle but he has to improve his shooting and if it did not happen over the summer it is not going to happen during the season.

That did not stop Cotto from leaving.

I still think there is more upside to KC than FJ, more speed, athleticsm, better ball handling; the best thing FJ has going for him is better getting the junk

ball put back from a rebound or loose ball. FJ is fouliing and pulling on jerseys and needs to move his feet on defence. he may have been around the

team last year but he plays more like a freshman and KC plays like a sophomore; KC had better start shooting and making at least the percentage jj makes.

I still think there is more upside to KC than FJ, more speed, athleticsm, better ball handling; the best thing FJ has going for him is better getting the junk

ball put back from a rebound or loose ball. FJ is fouliing and pulling on jerseys and needs to move his feet on defence. he may have been around the

team last year but he plays more like a freshman and KC plays like a sophomore; KC had better start shooting and making at least the percentage jj makes.

I think KC is a more polished player, buf FJ is definiterly quicker and a better leaper and it is not even close.

I think KC is a more polished player, buf FJ is definiterly quicker and a better leaper and it is not even close.

HUH? every time Femi got beat to the basket, RM pulled him and put KC in to play defence.

I'd like to here the opinion of someone like Nate on this issue, but my observation is exactly the opposite.

Guest BillikenReport

I'd like to here the opinion of someone like Nate on this issue, but my observation is exactly the opposite.

I just look at Femi and Kyle as two different kinds of players who play basically the same position.

Kyle does a better job handling the ball and passing, has a better looking shot (though he doesn't make as many as Femi does) and defends on the perimeter better.

Femi does a better job of scoring (making shots, getting hustle points off putbacks and steals), defending inside using his strength and rebounding in traffic.

Not sure who is the more polished player. One of the knocks against Femi was that he didn't get very good coaching in high school. They played on the same AAU team. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and both need to get better -- and will. Both look they will be solid contributors for four seasons, but unfortunately neither has shown yet that they will be big impact players for the Billikens.

I just look at Femi and Kyle as two different kinds of players who play basically the same position.

Kyle does a better job handling the ball and passing, has a better looking shot (though he doesn't make as many as Femi does) and defends on the perimeter better.

Femi does a better job of scoring (making shots, getting hustle points off putbacks and steals), defending inside using his strength and rebounding in traffic.

Not sure who is the more polished player. One of the knocks against Femi was that he didn't get very good coaching in high school. They played on the same AAU team. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and both need to get better -- and will. Both look they will be solid contributors for four seasons, but unfortunately neither has shown yet that they will be big impact players for the Billikens.

Why is Smith listed as a possible transfer? Also, Reid's concussion must be pretty serious if he didn't take his finals which, I'm assuming here, means he wasn't going to classes either. If Reid is that treasured shooter type, I'd hope he stays as we desperately need a consistent 3 pt dead eye.

Why is Smith listed as a possible transfer? Also, Reid's concussion must be pretty serious if he didn't take his finals which, I'm assuming here, means he wasn't going to classes either. If Reid is that treasured shooter type, I'd hope he stays as we desperately need a consistent 3 pt dead eye.

I think the Jeff Reid situation will become very obvious. If he takes a medical redshirt it is because Rick likes him and wants him back. If he doesn't he'll likely be gone. I have no info here but it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't come back for the second semester. He did have 1 great game,but let's not forget Donnie Atkins the star of midnight madness.

Some body brought JS name up only because he seems to have fallen behind CR at this point - they are just fishing for names right now. JR's concussion is getting to be a bit troublesome.

I think the Jeff Reid situation will become very obvious. If he takes a medical redshirt it is because Rick likes him and wants him back. If he doesn't he'll likely be gone. I have no info here but it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't come back for the second semester. He did have 1 great game,but let's not forget Donnie Atkins the star of midnight madness.

The only reason JR would not come back second semester is if he is in eligible to play because of not passing his classes first semester. This is a real possibility if he does not take the tests. This concussion must be really bad since he can not even be at the games due to the noise level.