Jensen with recruit tonight

DirtyRican

NEW ZEALANDER ROB LOE GETTING BIG EAST ATTENTION

December 1, 2009 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment

by RAY MERNAGH

Rob Loe is a 6-foot-11 post player from New Zealand getting heavy interest from a bevy of high-majors (and some mid-majors that have past histories with non-US bigs). It was reported in other places that Loe would be enrolling at IMG Academy in December but that doesn’t look like it will happen.

IMG’s Dan Barto compared Loe’s game to Brad Miller’s in his prime (of the NBA and Purdue), saying Loe can shoot it, has a back to the basket game with some finesse, and trails the play really well.

Loe is getting ready to take visits and according to a source close to his situation plans on looking at Pittsburgh, Colorado, St Louis and Georgia Tech.

It’s possible Loe will take/need a fifth year if he does end up coming to the US. If that ends up being the case a strong possibility as far as a landing spot for him would be Notre Dame Prep.

Loe averaged 18.8 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game in four games at the 2009 FIBA U19 World Championships last summer. Pitt coach Jamie Dixonwas the head coach for the USA’s U19 team that went 9-0 in the World Championships, winning the goald medal in the event, which was played in Auckland, New Zealand.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that an excuse for sloppy writing habits? (I'm not accusing you of anything; just adding my comments.) It seems that written communication skills, particularly pertaining to usage, punctuation, spelling, and agreement, have really declined over the past 25 years or so. It's now commonplace to find errors everywhere, including in the newspaper and on reputable websites. If the professional writers and editors don't have any pride in correctness, how will average people who couldn't care less to pay attention to 12th-grade grammar?

Even as I write, I try to pay attention to my errors, which I certainly do make — and sometimes overlook — but not everyone cares enough to do so. But there are some people who don't even know (or "no," sometimes) when, why, and how there, their, and they're should be used.

For the most part, I try to let most stuff I read here go without mentioning the errors. I'd wear myself out, otherwise. But I get a kick out of seeing someone correct another poster while having errors, themselves, in the correcting post.

I got corrected by someone who said Affton is spelt with too f's. I didn't even bother to respond.

NEW ZEALANDER ROB LOE GETTING BIG EAST ATTENTION

December 1, 2009 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment

by RAY MERNAGH

Rob Loe is a 6-foot-11 post player from New Zealand getting heavy interest from a bevy of high-majors (and some mid-majors that have past histories with non-US bigs). It was reported in other places that Loe would be enrolling at IMG Academy in December but that doesn’t look like it will happen.

IMG’s Dan Barto compared Loe’s game to Brad Miller’s in his prime (of the NBA and Purdue), saying Loe can shoot it, has a back to the basket game with some finesse, and trails the play really well.

Loe is getting ready to take visits and according to a source close to his situation plans on looking at Pittsburgh, Colorado, St Louis and Georgia Tech.

It’s possible Loe will take/need a fifth year if he does end up coming to the US. If that ends up being the case a strong possibility as far as a landing spot for him would be Notre Dame Prep.

Loe averaged 18.8 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game in four games at the 2009 FIBA U19 World Championships last summer. Pitt coach Jamie Dixonwas the head coach for the USA’s U19 team that went 9-0 in the World Championships, winning the goald medal in the event, which was played in Auckland, New Zealand.

Perhaps that's what Cody Ellis should have done. Perhaps.

The Blue Crew had a "We want Rob Loe" sign and were chanting his name. Nice move.

So I take it this kid was at the game? I hope so. He was treated to a nice game with a good atmosphere. What if we got a decent 7-footer which would allow us to play Willie some at the 4. Wow!

So I take it this kid was at the game? I hope so. He was treated to a nice game with a good atmosphere. What if we got a decent 7-footer which would allow us to play Willie some at the 4. Wow!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/25...or-talented-Loe

I like this excerpt:

Loe, just 17 and the youngest player in the team, displayed the skills to take him far in the game. Agile for a big man, he handled the ball capably, was unafraid to drive to the hoop, dunking with relish and could step out and hit and nail the three-point shot. He is almost the complete package perhaps needing just a few more pounds on his frame.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/25...or-talented-Loe

I like this excerpt:

Loe, just 17 and the youngest player in the team, displayed the skills to take him far in the game. Agile for a big man, he handled the ball capably, was unafraid to drive to the hoop, dunking with relish and could step out and hit and nail the three-point shot. He is almost the complete package perhaps needing just a few more pounds on his frame.

-this kid sounds like he would be a real nice get

-so let's get him

-good came for a recruit to attend

-this kid sounds like he would be a real nice get

-so let's get him

-good came for a recruit to attend

RM and Jensen are sure to point out of the school's he's considering which coach has had the most success at getting bigs into the NBA. IF, big if at this juncture, the NCAA frees CE and this kid signs whoaa nellie!

Guest BillikenReport

RM and Jensen are sure to point out of the school's he's considering which coach has had the most success at getting bigs into the NBA. IF, big if at this juncture, the NCAA frees CE and this kid signs whoaa nellie!

Considering the other schools he is looking at, there is no way Loe would have ever looked at SLU before.

Great "We want Rob Loe" chants and signs from the Blue Crew. Well done!

Yes, I'm sure recruits notice little things like that. Not that it will help him make his decision, but I know it doesn't hurt...now if the other schools do it too, I guess it isn't that big of a deal, but that is the first time I've seen a SLU crowd do that for a potential future Billiken. Very cool.

I also love the props Porter and the rest of the coaching staff give the students when they turn out in force. Porter really looks like he enjoys being an assistant to Majerus and being a Billiken. He was fist pumping the student section as he was walking off the court. Love it.

Yes, I'm sure recruits notice little things like that. Not that it will help him make his decision, but I know it doesn't hurt...now if the other schools do it too, I guess it isn't that big of a deal, but that is the first time I've seen a SLU crowd do that for a potential future Billiken. Very cool.

He definitely noticed the chant. His mother seemed to get the biggest kick out of it. Well done students!

what does this mean?

Well, we are out of scholarships, so I wonder what he's expecting or what his "master plan" is for the team at this point. Obviously it's to assemble great talent and start winning, but I'm more interested in the subtle intricacies of what he's actually doing. I could probably talk for hours with the man about basketball, but sadly, neither of us have the time.

Well, we are out of scholarships, so I wonder what he's expecting or what his "master plan" is for the team at this point. Obviously it's to assemble great talent and start winning, but I'm more interested in the subtle intricacies of what he's actually doing. I could probably talk for hours with the man about basketball, but sadly, neither of us have the time.

Being out of scholarships kind of worries me. I'm not sure how to read it. There are several possibilities.

-Either Majerus is just still recruiting b/c he knows that anything can happen and doesn't want to be caught in a situation like this year where Thompson leaves and they don't have a replacement

-Or it means that getting Ellis is unlikely and Rick is recruiting someone for his spot (hopefully not this one)

-Or Majerus is recruiting with the intention of someone not coming back

If it is the third one you wonder who would not be back because I really like all of these guys and I think all of them have potential to be good players down the road. However, this Rob Loe sounds like a great big that has potential to be a better player than some of our current guys. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Like you said, Majerus probably has some "master plan" so In Rick I Trust.

Guest BillikenReport

Like you said, Majerus probably has some "master plan" so In Rick I Trust.

The "master plan" is that Majerus wants to add as much talent to the roster as possible.

The coaches aren't going to stop recruiting. I'm sure they feel like they got burned by Thompson transferring when he did because that meant they didn't have a full roster for this season and it meant having to play freshmen who would have otherwise been better served by redshirting this season.

The "master plan" is that Majerus wants to add as much talent to the roster as possible.

The coaches aren't going to stop recruiting. I'm sure they feel like they got burned by Thompson transferring when he did because that meant they didn't have a full roster for this season and it meant having to play freshmen who would have otherwise been better served by redshirting this season.

There has been so much focus about how unfair a coach can be to players, but on the flip side, the timing of players leaving can put a coach and a team in a bind. It is one thing for a player to leave shortly after the season conlcudes, but it is another for a player to decide to leave during the summer. That roster spot becomes a lot more difficult to fill.

Guest BillikenReport

That roster spot becomes a lot more difficult to fill.

Especially if a team has already passed up on other potential players because they didn't think there would be room for them or didn't think that those players would be needed.

I'm sure they feel like they got burned by Thompson transferring

exactly why would they think they got "burned"?

if rickma doesnt want players to actually leave, maybe he should start by not humilating them at every practiced and then topping it off with a complete roasting at the end of the year banquet.

Especially if a team has already passed up on other potential players because they didn't think there would be room for them or didn't think that those players would be needed.

I guess this was Brett's final, "screw you" to Rick for all his public "out-of-shape" quotes.

Just quit roy.

05 i have accepted rickma is what he is, but dont try to make the players out to be the bad guys is my point. humans can only take so much. and then we are supposed to believe the coaches were "burned" when a player says enough.

exactly why would they think they got "burned"?

if rickma doesnt want players to actually leave, maybe he should start by not humilating them at every practiced and then topping it off with a complete roasting at the end of the year banquet.

Sorry but Rick has been around a long time...these players know what the hell they are getting into when they sign up to play for Coach Rick. It's tough minded coaching that not only works for the kids on the court, but will make them tougher individuals off the court. You're entitled to your opinion, but to think these kids are signing up for four years at SLU without doing their homework and not knowing what type of coach Rick is, is just ignoring reality.

05 i have accepted rickma is what he is, but dont try to make the players out to be the bad guys is my point. humans can only take so much. and then we are supposed to believe the coaches were "burned" when a player says enough.

Why does anyone have to be the bad guy? This isn't children's television. There's gray area in real life. It didn't work out, this happens everywhere.