OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad something is being done with it. I figured the Larry B Realty Co. would have acquired, razed and sodded it by now.

The fear of Biondi taking the property is probably why nothing happened to it for years. Getting included in the Cortex area takes away the fear of SLU trying to steal it.

Great building complex. I'm glad they're keeping it up.

SLU still hasn't done anything with the warehouse property it tore down next door, at the Forest Park/Vandeventer corner. Just a grass field. I guess it's worth a fortune now, though, given what's going on the other side of the Parkway.

SLU still hasn't done anything with the warehouse property it tore down next door, at the Forest Park/Vandeventer corner. Just a grass field. I guess it's worth a fortune now, though, given what's going on the other side of the Parkway.

Thought I heard it was going to be a mixed use development.

That property is actually owned by CORTEX - they were the ones who demolished the building.

I was initially skeptical about CORTEX, but they're really starting to build momentum, and there are some exciting changes taking place in the district.

The new MetroLink station at Boyle should help the area as well.

Box and Won,

Yeah I was pretty certain CORTEX owned it. I too was a bit skeptical about CORTEX but they could single-handedly revive St. Louis city. Okay, maybe that is hyperbole but if you look at cities that continue to experience growth, it's the Austin's and Portland's and Seattle's. The economic platform of these cities is two fold: a young educated workforce and technology. Austin has UT-Austin and a wide range of technological enterprises such as Dell. Seattle has U Dub, U Seattle, etc and a wide variety of web-based companies.

St. Louis most certainly has the first requirement: young, educated people with SLU and WashU. With CORTEX, St. Louis really has a tremendous opportunity to become a bio-technology hub which will make staying in St. Louis a lot more attractive for the SLU and WashU grads. You want to keep those smart young graduates? You need the jobs....CORTEX is certainly in position to create them.

• 1 month later...

I've known that for about a month. There might be an interesting back story as to why -- and, in any event, it resurrects the age old mystery of The Fifth House building.

Where in Valley Park?

I've been to the new Funny Bone there a couple of times and the crowds have been pretty sparse. It'd be cool if The Shack were in the same vicinity.....

The shack sucked

It was no lacledes but it was good for what it was.

Their downfall imo was probably from how they alienated themselves immediately from any kids at slu who liked lacledes. They really messed up on that front. Probably why they closed early on Fri and sat nights. Not a good look for a college bar