Notes from the Billiken Club meeting

ARon

Chris May was first :

-89-90 men's team will be honored on Saturday afternoon. Coach Grower is confirmed to attend. Bonner is on the fence.

-The athletic department has hired a new marketing person. I didn't catch her name but she used to work for the Rams. He also said she would be working to increase student interest.

-May didn't want to say much about the MSU incident but promised that it would never happen again. He seemed to blame the students primarily. Hopefully the new marketing person is proof they understand some of the burden is on the athletic dept.

-Introduced new food service company http://www.ovationsfoodservices.com/ . I don't know if this was just for Loranzini's or the whole arena.

-Pat Parris and Scott Highmark will be doing the TV for FSMW on Saturday.

-Their goal is to get 6 women's games on TV next year. He'd previously stated the men's goal is 15-20 I believe.

-Freshmen for both the men's and women's team were introduced. The girls took some questions. Rickma just talked about the guys.

Majerus:

-BC has been more than willing to help CE so far, even though CE will be stealing from his minutes.

-Several times Rick kept on the players in attendance to keep eating. Said they all need to put on size, including JJ.

-JR still has bad post-concussion symptoms. He can't read and can only really sit in a dark room. RM joked he couldn't find a shed to put him in like some other coaches. I think he also said that JR suffered a broken cheekbone on the play where he was hurt.

-Confirmed FJ's torn meniscus. It will affect his hops.

-Questioner commented that the Bills have three great shot blockers. RM chuckled at that. Said JS was good and CR could be.

-Several times RM commented on "Jo(h)n's" greatly improved outside game. I couldn't tell if he meant JS or FJ.

-They are close to finalizing a deal to play in an ESPN Cancun tournament next season over Christmas.

-CE will play.

-Thinks CE should have redshirted, won't be good this year, his head is shot from all that is happening. Said (exaggerating?) that CE didn't hit the rim during the first practice. But said CE will be good next year, he has no doubt in his talent.

-Later, after the players left he said that CE was fleshy and out of shape, hasn't played since July, he thinks the weight loss was due to nerves and stress over getting cleared.

-SLU hired attorney and filed lawsuit in CE's case.

-CE took SAT/ACT 6 times, often traveling significant distances to do so.

-CE and family hired tutor with their own money to get a passing score.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris May was first :

-89-90 men's team will be honored on Saturday afternoon. Coach Grower is confirmed to attend. Bonner is on the fence.

-The athletic department has hired a new marketing person. I didn't catch her name but she used to work for the Rams. He also said she would be working to increase student interest.

-May didn't want to say much about the MSU incident but promised that it would never happen again. He seemed to blame the students primarily. Hopefully the new marketing person is proof they understand some of the burden is on the athletic dept.

-Introduced new food service company http://www.ovationsfoodservices.com/ . I don't know if this was just for Loranzini's or the whole arena.

-Their goal is to get 6 women's games on TV next year. He'd previously stated the men's goal is 15-20 I believe.

-Freshmen for both the men's and women's team were introduced. The girls took some questions. Rickma just talked about the guys.

Majerus:

-BC has been more than willing to help CE so far, even though CE will be stealing from his minutes.

-Several times Rick kept on the players in attendance to keep eating. Said they all need to put on size, including JJ.

-JR still has bad post-concussion symptoms. He can't read and can only really sit in a dark room. RM joked he couldn't find a shed to put him in like some other coaches. I think he also said that JR suffered a broken cheekbone on the play where he was hurt.

-Questioner commented that the Bills have three great shot blockers. RM chuckled at that. Said JS was good and CR could be.

-Several times RM commented on "Jo(h)n's" greatly improved outside game. I couldn't tell if he meant JS or FJ.

-They are close to finalizing a deal to play in an ESPN Cancun tournament next season over Christmas.

-CE will play.

-Thinks CE should have redshirted, won't be good this year, his head is shot from all that is happening. Said (exaggerating?) that CE didn't hit the rim during the first practice. But said CE will be good next year, he has no doubt in his talent.

-Later, after the players left he said that CE was fleshy and out of shape, hasn't played since July, he thinks the weight loss was due to nerves and stress over getting cleared.

Great info. Thanks for the update.

Chris May was first :

Majerus:

-CE will play.

ARon,

Thanks for the update. Good to see that Rick made it out to talk along with the players. Was CE there?

I really hope this new marketing person can make a difference. I think it should be a gold mine for any marketing person with the Billiken and all.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

ARon,

Thanks for the update. Good to see that Rick made it out to talk along with the players. Was CE there?

I really hope this new marketing person can make a difference. I think it should be a gold mine for any marketing person with the Billiken and all.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

Yes CE was there.

Aron,

Thanks for updates.

He managed to go whole time without putting his foot in his mouth? Impressive. And this is coming from a Majerus fan.

Well I didn't say that. But the foot-in-mouth award went to the ladies freshman forward who dropped that the women's motto is: "Know your role or shut you're hole."

Chris May was first :

Majerus:

-CE will play.

Thanks for the update. Its pretty obvious to me that Majerus is trying to downplay the impact that Cody will have on this team, probbaly both for Cody's sake and for the fans. I think he's going to be a great player eventually but I get the feeling some here are going to be disapointed with his first game if he doesn't go for 20 and 10.

Thanks for the update. Its pretty obvious to me that Majerus is trying to downplay the impact that Cody will have on this team, probbaly both for Cody's sake and for the fans. I think he's going to be a great player eventually but I get the feeling some here are going to be disapointed with his first game if he doesn't go for 20 and 10.

I'll be happy if he

1) plays

2) scores at least one FG

3) grabs at least one rebound

4) has fewer than 3 turnovers

Wombat...wallaby...ALbatross!

He said that the new operation is for the entire arena. Everything related to food has been revamped. The first game where this will be in effect will be the women's game tomorrow night. Pricing did not come up.

This year: I want CE to get used to the college game. Improvement in one's game occurs during the off-season. Fine tuning and stamina take place during the season. Whether CE stars or not this year, he will come away from this season, albeit a shortened one, with knowledge of what he needs to improve his game. Even the best Freshmen have weakness and need off-season improvement. I presume CE has weaknesses as well. Therefore, I hope he gets the chance to test his skills. If he gets exposed and/or beat, so be it. Play him and he will learn. It's easy to tell a kid until the kid experiences it, the kid really cannot improve. It's really a good situation. The team is going nowhere fast and its not like we have a bunch of Seniors for whom this is their last chance. It's all about the future.

My hope/expectation is that CE plays, plays hard and stays healthy. If he does this, I do think he will have made an impact by the end of the year. With that said, good players are good players. If has good skills now, we will see them sooner than later.

I didn't take notes at the meeting but I heard Majerus say twice, once after a question, that CE playing this year has yet to be determined. Unless someone spoke personally with Majerus and heard different. Ellis has practiced with the team twice now. The first practice he didn't hit the rim (practice was scheduled at 3AM, Aussie time), the second practice Cody fared much better.

Jeff Reid is still in Kansas. SLU is consulting with his Dr in Kansas. He can't read or watch TV. He did break his cheekbone on the play but they didn't know about it because certain tests cannot be taken for a certain period of time if someone has suffered a concussion.

Majerus said twice that he expects them to get at least one more recruit for next season. Add in the Reid info and I believe we have seen the last of him unfortunately.

Cody appeared shorter than Remuken and not much taller if any than Johnny Big Time. With the afro though he is pushing 7 feet.

I was going to ask questions about specific players but it was hard with some of them in the room.

The tourney Majerus was talking about will be the inaugural Cancun Governor's cup which is an 8 team tournament played over Winter break starting next year which ESPN is sponsoring and will televise. The tournament will be sponsored by CUSA so expect a team or two from that conference.

Majerus introduced all the freshman and outlined what they were good at and what they could improve on.

Commented on the two recruits. Called Evans an athlete and his sister plays ball for Wash U. McCall "is an excellent shooter" he gets up at 4:30 every morning to take the bus for 6:30 AM practice. Majerus says McCall is being called the best guard in Chicago and the best guard in Illinois.

Majerus lectured on Stockton and Malone, had a few requisite comments about Andre Miller and asked a question which I couldn't understand about defense, the answers was Norm Van Lier, Stockton, and Mo Cheeks.

Talked about having Brad Johnson, former NFL QB, Terry Porter, and George Karl talk to the team. Johnson is going to intern a week for Rick later on this year, Johnson coaches HS ball, to learn a few things and Majerus would like him to speak at a meeting as well as George Karl.

The women had an abbreviated session due to Majerus' ramblings. I enjoy his time but he should go last really. Shimmy had 3 freshman there. The girls worked the room prior to the meeting. Ashley Hanlen I can say is more than a worthy successor to Theresa Lisch.

He said that the new operation is for the entire arena. Everything related to food has been revamped. The first game where this will be in effect will be the women's game tomorrow night. Pricing did not come up.

My food was good much better than before, my waiter was horrible but I'm pretty sure he was fired before the meeting was over.

Majerus said after Ellis left the room, that Ellis would be a good player not great.

Then when Shimmy comes on while lamenting her teams 5-9 record, says she wishes she could get a stud from Australia to come play for her in midseason.

May gave a list of the players attending the ceremonies.

Douglas

Gray

Luechtefeld

Duff

Footes

Newberry

Ivester

Braun

Sadly No Travis Tadysak, Jorge Wallace, Chip Entwhistle, or Tony Manuel.

When Rich is introduced please stand and applaud.

My food was good much better than before, my waiter was horrible but I'm pretty sure he was fired before the meeting was over.

This was the first night for any of the servers. Ours said they would be having a tasting session tomorrow night to get to know the menu. The system is so new, that we were given an old time credit card sheet with a carbon. They seemed to want to go out of their way to provide good service. I think they need a little time to get used to the new surroundings.

May gave a list of the players attending the ceremonies.

Douglas

Gray

Luechtefeld

Duff

Footes

Newberry

Ivester

Braun

Sadly No Travis Tadysak, Jorge Wallace, Chip Entwhistle, or Tony Manuel.

When Rich is introduced please stand and applaud.

What percentage of the younger, regular posters on this board are going to wonder why a billikens.com poster gets honored at halftime. :lol:

Hopefull the crowd will be in good form on Saturday with multiple opportunities to cheer when no action is on the court:

1) Ellis checks in

2) Grawer and the team is announced

3) all important ball toss

What percentage of the younger, regular posters on this board are going to wonder why a billikens.com poster gets honored at halftime. :lol:

Hopefull the crowd will be in good form on Saturday with multiple opportunities to cheer when no action is on the court:

1) Ellis checks in

2) Grawer and the team is announced

3) all important ball toss

Don't forget the kiss-me-cam...that thing really gets the decibels going in that arena. I would venture to say that that is when the arena gets the loudest. I'm not joking either.

Thanks for all of the great info! I grew up with the Grawer era teams, and as a boy remember well all of those guys you listed as coming back for the ceremony. It will be great to give them a long, standing ovation. It will bring back great memories of traveling to MCC tournaments. The energy of that group sold me on the Bills, and I've been a lifelong fan ever since. The Athletic Dept. deserves some big kudos for setting up these events.

But the foot-in-mouth award went to the ladies freshman forward who dropped that the women's motto is: "Know your role or shut your hole."

This is awesome.

I still can't get over the severity of Reid's concussion. I'm worried about the kid. To not be able to read or watch TV all these weeks later, it must be incredibly severe, and adding a broken cheekbone to it, he has got to be absolutely miserable.

This is awesome.

I still can't get over the severity of Reid's concussion. I'm worried about the kid. To not be able to read or watch TV all these weeks later, it must be incredibly severe, and adding a broken cheekbone to it, he has got to be absolutely miserable.

I agree Box

I never heard anything like this. At this point I just hope the kid is able to recover fully.

This was the first night for any of the servers. Ours said they would be having a tasting session tomorrow night to get to know the menu. The system is so new, that we were given an old time credit card sheet with a carbon. They seemed to want to go out of their way to provide good service. I think they need a little time to get used to the new surroundings.

When I goy my bill it didn't include my bar bill. I pointed that out and my server said they were having trouble but not to worry about it. What a deal.