Notes from the Billiken Club meeting

ARon

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So at the last game, I was on the kiss cam AND my wife caught a ball. Greatest night of our lives :lol:

wasnt your wife on the kiss cam with you or did you do your kissing with someone else? ;)

I still can't get over the severity of Reid's concussion. I'm worried about the kid. To not be able to read or watch TV all these weeks later, it must be incredibly severe, and adding a broken cheekbone to it, he has got to be absolutely miserable.

If memory serves me correctly, Reid got called for a foul on this play that Ben Hansborough knocked him into next season. Would love for the referee to look at the replay on this again....

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

wasnt your wife on the kiss cam with you or did you do your kissing with someone else? :lol:

Haha. Good point. It was the wife. Only game she goes to all season. The only damper on the evening was the kid throwing up in the aisle next to us and the throw-up in the hallway as we were leaving, which was well after the other kid left so I'm guessing it was from someone else. What the heck was going on last week? I could understand if the Billikens were shooting like they did against Bowling Gree, but they actually played pretty well!

Thank you, ARon & Torch for the updates.

By the way, did the coach's radio show air last night? I had noted earlier in the day to tune it, but then it was probably after 9 p.m. when I gave it another thought.

If the show aired, can anyone recall to give a synopsis?

MAJERUS RADIO SHOW: Head coach Rick Majerus' weekly radio show, hosted by Bob Ramsey, will begin Monday, Jan. 11, from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on 101.1 FM ESPN. Tune in to hear coach Majerus' thoughts on the previous week's games and a preview of what is coming up for the Billikens.

-thanks for the updates

-Jeff Reid, get well soon

-here is my fear (or at least one of them), CE enters the game Sat at some point, gets a wide open 16ftr, throws up an airball and many in the crowd moan and get down on the kid

-i still think many have unrealistic expectations for CE, but i hope he meets all them and more

-i still think many have unrealistic expectations for CE, but i hope he meets all them and more

considering the many discussions i have had the last few weeks with both billiken fans and casual fans, i know that MANY have unrealistic expectations. heck this message board is comprised of the hardest core fans the program has and even then we get posts every day more or less putting ellis in the savior position. that really amazes me considering again, we are supposed to be the most knowing. if many of us are preaching it, you can bet the casual fans are listening.

the good news is that i doubt rickma will put ellis in a losing situation that exposes him in the worse light. i would bet ellis makes a cameo appearance at most for quite awhile. think about john smith, who i felt by the summer buzz was likely our second best recruit. only recently has rickma been putting him in the game more. i.e. he proved in practice he was beginning to be able to fit the program and play at a level to deserve minutes. even with his obviously explosively and almost freakish athleticism and lanky basketball ideal build. so for ellis, in rick i trust.

considering the many discussions i have had the last few weeks with both billiken fans and casual fans, i know that MANY have unrealistic expectations. heck this message board is comprised of the hardest core fans the program has and even then we get posts every day more or less putting ellis in the savior position. that really amazes me considering again, we are supposed to be the most knowing. if many of us are preaching it, you can bet the casual fans are listening.

the good news is that i doubt rickma will put ellis in a losing situation that exposes him in the worse light. i would bet ellis makes a cameo appearance at most for quite awhile. think about john smith, who i felt by the summer buzz was likely our second best recruit. only recently has rickma been putting him in the game more. i.e. he proved in practice he was beginning to be able to fit the program and play at a level to deserve minutes. even with his obviously explosively and almost freakish athleticism and lanky basketball ideal build. so for ellis, in rick i trust.

Pretty off topic, but your comment reminded me.

That kid is a freak. I don't have the long history of watching the bills as some people but in my time watching SLU (7-8 years or so) I can't remember someone that athletic. Now if he could just find a position... haha

Rick said a lot of good things about John Smith last night. He said John has worked very hard to develop his shot. He said John had a large upside if he continues to work hard.

Pretty off topic, but your comment reminded me.

That kid is a freak. I don't have the long history of watching the bills as some people but in my time watching SLU (7-8 years or so) I can't remember someone that athletic. Now if he could just find a position... haha

In my opinion, Larry Hughes sets the standard for athleticism among Billikens basketball players (but he was definitely more than 8 years ago). Even if Jon Smith is as good of a leaper (or better), he's got a ways to go to have a similar level of skill as Hughes.

Chris May was first :

-89-90 men's team will be honored on Saturday afternoon. Coach Grower is confirmed to attend. Bonner is on the fence.

-The athletic department has hired a new marketing person. I didn't catch her name but she used to work for the Rams. He also said she would be working to increase student interest.

-May didn't want to say much about the MSU incident but promised that it would never happen again. He seemed to blame the students primarily. Hopefully the new marketing person is proof they understand some of the burden is on the athletic dept.

-Introduced new food service company http://www.ovationsfoodservices.com/ . I don't know if this was just for Loranzini's or the whole arena.

-Pat Parris and Scott Highmark will be doing the TV for FSMW on Saturday.

-Their goal is to get 6 women's games on TV next year. He'd previously stated the men's goal is 15-20 I believe.

-Freshmen for both the men's and women's team were introduced. The girls took some questions. Rickma just talked about the guys.

Majerus:

-BC has been more than willing to help CE so far, even though CE will be stealing from his minutes.

-Several times Rick kept on the players in attendance to keep eating. Said they all need to put on size, including JJ.

-JR still has bad post-concussion symptoms. He can't read and can only really sit in a dark room. RM joked he couldn't find a shed to put him in like some other coaches. I think he also said that JR suffered a broken cheekbone on the play where he was hurt.

-Confirmed FJ's torn meniscus. It will affect his hops.

-Questioner commented that the Bills have three great shot blockers. RM chuckled at that. Said JS was good and CR could be.

-Several times RM commented on "Jo(h)n's" greatly improved outside game. I couldn't tell if he meant JS or FJ.

-They are close to finalizing a deal to play in an ESPN Cancun tournament next season over Christmas.

-CE will play.

-Thinks CE should have redshirted, won't be good this year, his head is shot from all that is happening. Said (exaggerating?) that CE didn't hit the rim during the first practice. But said CE will be good next year, he has no doubt in his talent.

-Later, after the players left he said that CE was fleshy and out of shape, hasn't played since July, he thinks the weight loss was due to nerves and stress over getting cleared.

-SLU hired attorney and filed lawsuit in CE's case.

-CE took SAT/ACT 6 times, often traveling significant distances to do so.

-CE and family hired tutor with their own money to get a passing score.

It appears that RM's comments about CE not being "good this year," took place while CE was present. Unbelievable! Way to set the bar high, Rick. I hope this "refreshing candor" that adds to RM's "charm" (Need to interject that this might be the first time in recorded history that RM and "charm" have ever been equated-good job Nark), is viewed by all as inappropriate with the player present. At least the repeated "fleshy" comment was made after CE's departure.

Also, it was good to see from a later post that numerous references to Utah Jazz, George Karl and U. of Utah players were included in the HC's rambling comments. What would any conversation with RM be like without an Andre Miller reference? As I read the two main summaries of the night, I couldn't help thinking that I had been there before. I used to attend just about all of the Billiken Club meetings, especially when the HC was going to appear. Now a promised appearance by Rick is sure to keep me away as it did last night-I have had enough of the Utah discussions and name-droppings. If he ever displays the ability to adjust to his new surroundings as the Saint Louis Billikens HC and realizes how old and worn his Utah-related references are, then this long time Bills fan will be back at the meetings my Billiken Club dues help pay for. For those of you who feel just the opposite (possibly you grew up in Utah) keep up your support-the Program needs it until we can pack the Fetz.

With regard to the Women's team has SG ever stated just how long she thinks it will take to get the Program to an acceptable level. I love her positive attitude in public, but it seems that something is wrong, either the recruiting or the gameday coaching. Clearly, Shimmy is an upgrade over Jill, but didn't we all expect to be further along by this point? I remember thinking the first time I heard SG talk-I thought that this is too good to be true-SLU will never be able to keep her-she'll be picked up by a bigtime program within a year or two. Surely, I am not the only one in the Billiken Club who thought that and therefore expected more by this point.

Finally, I don't like being defined by other posters on this Board as pro this or anti that. So let me summarize:

-Overall, glad to have RM as HC-think he is the best we have had since John Bennington. His national reputation should help in building the Program.

-Understand RM's scheduling with such a young team, but hope it improves greatly in the next two years.

-Am frequently embarrassed by certain comments made by RM, which I do not find to be cute and/or candid and which are sometimes negative reflections on young men. After many years in Management, I have noted that public embarrassment generally does NOT improve performance. Often people are defined by what they say, more than by what they do.

- Coach get some class-wear a coat on the sidelines-you're around 500 wins short of the other sports personality who was too important to conform to the dress code of 99% of all D-1 MBB HCs.

-I have high hopes that RM will, in fact, turn the SLU MBB team into a top 40 type Program. His recruiting exceeds the levels reached by any SLU HC since Rich Grawer was able to retain the best of St. Louis as Billikens---MD, RG, AB, CU, JW, SH and EC. While I still have reservations about some of the recent recruits, I see a definite uptick in most of the new players.

-On the whole, I view having RM as HC is a real positive for the future of the Program.

-Regarding other teams, I am extremely upset at how the current Men's soccer HC has allowed the Program to regress. He has had enough time and needs to be replaced. One less than satisfactory year (see UCLA MBB this year) can be accepted, but the "UCLA of Men's NCAA soccer" should not be consistently performing at their current level.

-Shimmy needs to start showing some signs of real progress within the next 3-4 years. I agree with the fact that the Women's team was treated like second class citizens prior to last year, but that is far from the case now with the new facilities. Within the next few years we need the team to be at least middle of the pact in the A-10 and over .500 with non-conf. games included.

-Give the VB HC an extension-she has accomplished what I never would have thought possible within a short amount of time-well done!

-Finally, the overall operation of the Ath. Dept needs to improve, and Fr. B. needs to decide if C. May is capable of getting that improvement. If so, great-let's get going on it (and by the way, why hasn't it improved since CM got here?). If he is not the guy to get that improvement then let's get someone who can. ( I propose Steve or Thicks)

-Finally, the overall operation of the Ath. Dept needs to improve, and Fr. B. needs to decide if C. May is capable of getting that improvement. If so, great-let's get going on it (and by the way, why hasn't it improved since CM got here?). If he is not the guy to get that improvement then let's get someone who can. ( I propose Steve or Thicks)

That. Is. HILARIOUS!

Diane (BlueCrewPres) has more leadership ability in her little toe than I have. I'm just a writer.

-thanks for the updates

-Jeff Reid, get well soon

-here is my fear (or at least one of them), CE enters the game Sat at some point, gets a wide open 16ftr, throws up an airball and many in the crowd moan and get down on the kid

CE will sink his first 8 to 10 shots for the billikens, I can see it. Then he will shrug his shoulders towards the scorers table as he trots back to play defense while the crowd is roaring. MJ like.

It appears that RM's comments about CE not being "good this year," took place while CE was present. Unbelievable! Way to set the bar high, Rick. I hope this "refreshing candor" that adds to RM's "charm" (Need to interject that this might be the first time in recorded history that RM and "charm" have ever been equated-good job Nark), is viewed by all as inappropriate with the player present. At least the repeated "fleshy" comment was made after CE's departure.

I totally disagree with this statement. I think this is good for Majerus to say with him in the room as to not put undue pressure on a kid that undoubtedly has an idea of the fan expectations. If he said, Cody is not good...that is different. But he said Cody has tremendous skill but won't be good this year. Not sure what's wrong with that. If Cody can't deal with that statement, how the hell is he going to endure the rigors of D1 basketball/ I think all this stuff just adds to Ricks plan to toughen the kids up. Obviously, we aren't tough mentally at this point if our best shooters are chucking up airballs on a consistent basis.

In my opinion, Larry Hughes sets the standard for athleticism among Billikens basketball players (but he was definitely more than 8 years ago). Even if Jon Smith is as good of a leaper (or better), he's got a ways to go to have a similar level of skill as Hughes.

hughes was the total package. not just athletic, he had the court vision, self confidence, leadership etc to carry a team. might be a long time before we see another larry hughes at slu.

Also, it was good to see from a later post that numerous references to Utah Jazz, George Karl and U. of Utah players were included in the HC's rambling comments. What would any conversation with RM be like without an Andre Miller reference? As I read the two main summaries of the night, I couldn't help thinking that I had been there before. I used to attend just about all of the Billiken Club meetings, especially when the HC was going to appear. Now a promised appearance by Rick is sure to keep me away as it did last night-I have had enough of the Utah discussions and name-droppings. If he ever displays the ability to adjust to his new surroundings as the Saint Louis Billikens HC and realizes how old and worn his Utah-related references are, then this long time Bills fan will be back at the meetings my Billiken Club dues help pay for. For those of you who feel just the opposite (possibly you grew up in Utah) keep up your support-the Program needs it until we can pack the Fetz.

With regard to the Women's team has SG ever stated just how long she thinks it will take to get the Program to an acceptable level. I love her positive attitude in public, but it seems that something is wrong, either the recruiting or the gameday coaching. Clearly, Shimmy is an upgrade over Jill, but didn't we all expect to be further along by this point? I remember thinking the first time I heard SG talk-I thought that this is too good to be true-SLU will never be able to keep her-she'll be picked up by a bigtime program within a year or two. Surely, I am not the only one in the Billiken Club who thought that and therefore expected more by this point.

Finally, I don't like being defined by other posters on this Board as pro this or anti that. So let me summarize:

-Overall, glad to have RM as HC-think he is the best we have had since John Bennington. His national reputation should help in building the Program.

-Understand RM's scheduling with such a young team, but hope it improves greatly in the next two years.

-Am frequently embarrassed by certain comments made by RM, which I do not find to be cute and/or candid and which are sometimes negative reflections on young men. After many years in Management, I have noted that public embarrassment generally does NOT improve performance. Often people are defined by what they say, more than by what they do.

- Coach get some class-wear a coat on the sidelines-you're around 500 wins short of the other sports personality who was too important to conform to the dress code of 99% of all D-1 MBB HCs.

-I have high hopes that RM will, in fact, turn the SLU MBB team into a top 40 type Program. His recruiting exceeds the levels reached by any SLU HC since Rich Grawer was able to retain the best of St. Louis as Billikens---MD, RG, AB, CU, JW, SH and EC. While I still have reservations about some of the recent recruits, I see a definite uptick in most of the new players.

-On the whole, I view having RM as HC is a real positive for the future of the Program.

-Regarding other teams, I am extremely upset at how the current Men's soccer HC has allowed the Program to regress. He has had enough time and needs to be replaced. One less than satisfactory year (see UCLA MBB this year) can be accepted, but the "UCLA of Men's NCAA soccer" should not be consistently performing at their current level.

-Shimmy needs to start showing some signs of real progress within the next 3-4 years. I agree with the fact that the Women's team was treated like second class citizens prior to last year, but that is far from the case now with the new facilities. Within the next few years we need the team to be at least middle of the pact in the A-10 and over .500 with non-conf. games included.

-Give the VB HC an extension-she has accomplished what I never would have thought possible within a short amount of time-well done!

Seriously, how long does it take to type a post like this.

It would also be nice if somebody that has such strong opinions about what Majerus says and who in front of actually went to listen to him, rather than getting a second hand account and then blowing his lid because he dared to mention Andre Miller.

I totally disagree with this statement. I think this is good for Majerus to say with him in the room as to not put undue pressure on a kid that undoubtedly has an idea of the fan expectations. If he said, Cody is not good...that is different. But he said Cody has tremendous skill but won't be good this year. Not sure what's wrong with that. If Cody can't deal with that statement, how the hell is he going to endure the rigors of D1 basketball/ I think all this stuff just adds to Ricks plan to toughen the kids up. Obviously, we aren't tough mentally at this point if our best shooters are chucking up airballs on a consistent basis.

why couldnt he say, "cody ellis is new, we all know what cody's went through and i for one am very proud of what he accomplished to get here. now cody can get to being a saint louis university student athlete and working hard to be the best billiken he can be. i expect cody will go through a break in period. but for now i am thrilled he joins the team."

btw, nice post bauman. i'm with you 100%

why couldnt he say, "cody ellis is new, we all know what cody's went through and i for one am very proud of what he accomplished to get here. now cody can get to being a saint louis university student athlete and working hard to be the best billiken he can be. i expect cody will go through a break in period. but for now i am thrilled he joins the team."

btw, nice post bauman. i'm with you 100%

He did say that he just cautioned fans that he isnt going to be very good right off the bat considering he hasnt played since July 20th. He also went on to say that he can shoot the ball extremely well for a big man, has the ability to pass very well, and has a great understanding of the game. I guess you must have had something in your ears when he said that, oh wait you werent there.

Seriously, how long does it take to type a post like this.

It would also be nice if somebody that has such strong opinions about what Majerus says and who in front of actually went to listen to him, rather than getting a second hand account and then blowing his lid because he dared to mention Andre Miller.

i would guess a die hard passionate billiken fan can type that in about 10 minutes. and 10 minutes is nothing for a diehard that cares.

He did say that he just cautioned fans that he isnt going to be very good right off the bat considering he hasnt played since July 20th. He also went on to say that he can shoot the ball extremely well for a big man, has the ability to pass very well, and has a great understanding of the game. I guess you must have had something in your ears when he said that, oh wait you werent there.

you are right. i wasnt there. i was watching high school basketball saw 6 games last night between various levels of belleville west vs ofallon as annually they bring all their high school teams to one school for one night and play for about 6 hours straight. just thought that would be more entertaining that a rundown on a look back at the days of andre miller as well.

btw, ot, roosevelt jones of ofallon has indeed grown up. but never saw a d-1 guard besides his body. didnt dribble more than two dribbles at a time and didnt shoot a shot (besides a ton of free throws) over 6 feet the entire night. that said, scored 27 points as a power forward for ofallon last night to carry his ofallon teamates. it would be interesting to see him in an actual guard position to see what he could do. but he never left the paint the entire night. his very athletic and slightly taller teamate charles joy had a couple of thunder dunks on the night.

also saw what is reputed to be a shimmy recruit in process, erica mccaster lightening fast guard for the west team score 20 to beat ofallon. erica is a junior and went over 1,000 career points last night for the lady maroons.

you are right. i wasnt there. i was watching high school basketball saw 6 games last night between various levels of belleville west vs ofallon as annually they bring all their high school teams to one school for one night and play for about 6 hours straight. just thought that would be more entertaining that a rundown on a look back at the days of andre miller as well.

btw, ot, roosevelt jones of ofallon has indeed grown up. but never saw a d-1 guard besides his body. didnt dribble more than two dribbles at a time and didnt shoot a shot (besides a ton of free throws) over 6 feet the entire night. that said, scored 27 points as a power forward for ofallon last night to carry his ofallon teamates. it would be interesting to see him in an actual guard position to see what he could do. but he never left the paint the entire night. his very athletic and slightly taller teamate charles joy had a couple of thunder dunks on the night.

also saw what is reputed to be a shimmy recruit in process, erica mccaster lightening fast guard for the west team score 20 to beat ofallon. erica is a junior and went over 1,000 career points last night for the lady maroons.

Thanks V-time

I was there and I thought Rick was very good with the kids. They seemed very engaged to what he was saying. All I saw was smiles and laughs. As far as CE was concerned, I felt he was trying to take pressure off him to become the great savior.

I was there and I thought Rick was very good with the kids. They seemed very engaged to what he was saying. All I saw was smiles and laughs. As far as CE was concerned, I felt he was trying to take pressure off him to become the great savior.

Here's the problem. People that don't go to these things are reading one person's summary of what was said then twisting it to be that Majerus is slamming a player. Then they want to re-write the way he should have tried to downplay Cody's impact. Give me a break. The man speaks for a long time, says a ton of stuff, most of it very positive, and all they can do is nit-pick somebody's interpretation of what he said.

Hell in this thread alone two people that listened to him came to dramatically different conclusions about whether redshirting was on the table or whether it was a done deal. ARon says Majerus said he'd play while the Torch said he heard from the same speech that it was still up in the air. He either said it or he didn't yet two people heard dramatically different results.

Now, we have Bauman and Roy (two people that weren't even there) basically upset by the tone at which Majerus tried to downplay expectations on Cody. Not a single person that was there has indicated it was at all inappropriate, yet these two clearly feel it was. Something is clearly getting lost in the translation.