Coverage for upcoming season...and stuff

Just one thing to say about the vile messages that never stop. Those have pretty much turned me off from listening. It is funny the first dozen times and then it just keeps going and mix in Doug's huge ego and I would rather ride to work in silence. I appreciate guys that can make it interesting without having to go the vulgar route. I takes a lot more talent to be good and clean.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to the Conklin interview. Pretty good. Mentioned he just got in town right before the game in Chicago and since it's the offseason, he wasn't in basketball shape like he will be in a couple months. Talked about keeping St. Louis kids here and mentioned Tatum with that.

He did say he is a having a boy and he will be a future Billiken so Pistol can start the Recruiting 2033 list.

Just listened to the Conklin interview. Pretty good. Mentioned he just got in town right before the game in Chicago and since it's the offseason, he wasn't in basketball shape like he will be in a couple months. Talked about keeping St. Louis kids here and mentioned Tatum with that.

He did say he is a having a boy and he will be a future Billiken so Pistol can start the Recruiting 2033 list.

That kid will be setting killer screens in preschool. #FutureConkSmash

... He did say he is a having a boy and he will be a future Billiken so Pistol can start the Recruiting 2033 list.

Oh God, 18 more years of hearing about Conklin summers. :angry: Make it stop.

Audio from our interview with Corey Frazier and Tim Holloway is up and running on InsideSTL.com: http://www.insidestlaudio.com/NightCap/072315-4NC.mp3

Both guys had some really great insight on SLU and the recruiting of Jayson Tatum.

No offense but Jayson Tatum's recruitment is the last thing I want to hear about.

"no, really. He loved SLU." Or "Crews messed up." Either way too soon

Just one thing to say about the vile messages that never stop. Those have pretty much turned me off from listening. It is funny the first dozen times and then it just keeps going and mix in Doug's huge ego and I would rather ride to work in silence. I appreciate guys that can make it interesting without having to go the vulgar route. I takes a lot more talent to be good and clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Jr19Bbx6s

Free Dotem.

No offense but Jayson Tatum's recruitment is the last thing I want to hear about.

"no, really. He loved SLU." Or "Crews messed up." Either way too soon

Yeah, it's a lot deeper than that.

#FreeDotem. And don't say "last thing I want to hear about" that term is as antiquated as B-roll. Nobody uses tape anymore, it's all digital. GAH!

Anyone catch crews on 920 today?

Yea nothing great. Frank asked him about the trip to the Bahamas and how it's been going. Frank did try and ask about how it feels when trying everything to get a recruit and how deflating it feels when he goes somewhere else. Crews said basically SLU's philosophy is "we are who we are and we believe what we believe". That they just want to be involved and help the kids along in the process but it is the kid's future so they just want to do what's best for the kid. At the end when it's over, they just have to move on though.

Frank did say at the end when Crews hung up that the staff did do everything they could have to try and get Tatum.

Yea nothing great. Frank asked him about the trip to the Bahamas and how it's been going. Frank did try and ask about how it feels when trying everything to get a recruit and how deflating it feels when he goes somewhere else. Crews said basically SLU's philosophy is "we are who we are and we believe what we believe". That they just want to be involved and help the kids along in the process but it is the kid's future so they just want to do what's best for the kid. At the end when it's over, they just have to move on though.

Frank did say at the end when Crews hung up that the staff did do everything they could have to try and get Tatum.

Second guessing and bashing of JC by those without real information just makes posters look foolish.

Instead, timing is everything. Last year Duke won the NCAA Tourney, and did so with quality Frosh, as opposed to losing early in the Tourney like they did the year prior. And in contrast, SLU not only missed the NCAA Tourney after 3 straight appearances but had one of the worst years I can remember last year, losing season, bad home losses... and didn't even finish strong or gel after all the playing time by our youngsters. Had JT been a year older... who knows!!

Second guessing and bashing of JC by those without real information just makes posters look foolish.

Are you saying based on Frank C making that comment that we are to believe that the coaching staff truly did an exceptional job recruiting Jayson? Frank C really has no credibility, ultimate fan boy for the local teams.

Some observations from what I've seen thus far (apologies if they're a little choppy):

1. There really isn't much value in reading into/trying to overanalyze individual performances. There's just not.

2. In terms of appearance, the differences with the sophomores are pretty substantial. Those of you who've been to practices probably know what I'm talking about. But for those who haven't, Davell looks significantly more toned, Milik is definitely slimmer, Jolly added some bulk and Ash definitely added some muscle, though, he claims he just doesn't see it (he was kidding -- I think).

3. Be encouraged by the amount of chatter and cheering on that goes on amongst the players during drills. There wasn't a whole lot of that over the course of last season (especially towards the end). Crews talks about it in terms of sharing knowledge. But this group already looks more like a team than they did over the course of last season -- will be interesting to see how well that carries over into preseason "camp" and the regular season...

4. Roby's point about the team having a totally different mindset entering this offseason was interesting.

5. I'm going to ask about it and write on it following Wednesday's practice, but this new offense has peaked me interest... I suspect they'll be going a bit faster this year (players have said in the past that Crews likes a little up in his tempo, think we saw flashes of that last season) and there will be more off-ball screens (he stayed with Majerus' on-ball screens through first three seasons). Last season was about as close to "rock bottom" as it gets offensively, and that definitely did not sit well with Crews.

6. Speaking of new offense, it's weird to see the team focused more on offense than defense. I'm sure it all balances out in the end with those closed sessions, but still...strange.

--

Since I (unintentionally) went all guards Saturday, it'll be the forwards, and maybe a few surprises, on Wednesday.

Some observations from what I've seen thus far (apologies if they're a little choppy):

1. There really isn't much value in reading into/trying to overanalyze individual performances. There's just not.

2. In terms of appearance, the differences with the sophomores are pretty substantial. Those of you who've been to practices probably know what I'm talking about. But for those who haven't, Davell looks significantly more toned, Milik is definitely slimmer, Jolly added some bulk and Ash definitely added some muscle, though, he claims he just doesn't see it (he was kidding -- I think).

3. Be encouraged by the amount of chatter and cheering on that goes on amongst the players during drills. There wasn't a whole lot of that over the course of last season (especially towards the end). Crews talks about it in terms of sharing knowledge. But this group already looks more like a team than they did over the course of last season -- will be interesting to see how well that carries over into preseason "camp" and the regular season...

4. Roby's point about the team having a totally different mindset entering this offseason was interesting.

5. I'm going to ask about it and write on it following Wednesday's practice, but this new offense has peaked me interest... I suspect they'll be going a bit faster this year (players have said in the past that Crews likes a little up in his tempo, think we saw flashes of that last season) and there will be more off-ball screens (he stayed with Majerus' on-ball screens through first three seasons). Last season was about as close to "rock bottom" as it gets offensively, and that definitely did not sit well with Crews.

6. Speaking of new offense, it's weird to see the team focused more on offense than defense. I'm sure it all balances out in the end with those closed sessions, but still...strange.

--

Since I (unintentionally) went all guards Saturday, it'll be the forwards, and maybe a few surprises, on Wednesday.

Thanks, Brian. I agree on the individual performances as it's too small of a sample size. As I stated in another thread, folks claimed Jolly would be an offensive threat going into last season.

Outstanding. It certainly seemed like there was a lot of communicating taking place among the players, but I had nothing to compare it to. This is good to hear.

--

Agree with everything. It's fun and interesting to look at individual performances but they are meaningless for the most part. Also good to read about the team being a "team". Finally, I was very interested in the offense too. I'm a little more into the technical and strategy side than most, so I found this offense interesting.

Agree with everything. It's fun and interesting to look at individual performances but they are meaningless for the most part. Also good to read about the team being a "team". Finally, I was very interested in the offense too. I'm a little more into the technical and strategy side than most, so I found this offense interesting.

So the "pass it around the perimeter and take the shot at 2 on the shot clock" offense may be changing?