Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Vandy after last night is the 29th best team in the country according to Pomeroy. They just happened to play the 9th best team in the country. If the played in the A10 they would have won the conference. They are a young team.

I would take Stallings. Pay the money to bring Cason back to his staff and you are set.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sort of mystified at how some view Stallings. He has made the NCAA Tourney 7 times and the NIT 5 times in his 17 seasons. His 7 NCAA tourney appearances are more during that time frame than SEC rivals Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss and Miss State. On top of that, he is playing in a strange arena for a school that actually values academic integrity and competing against some of these sleazy SEC schools. He is at more of a disadvantage than Northwestern is in the Big 12 and look at how that program has struggled to compete. Maybe the game has passed Stallings by... maybe he has stayed at one place too long and could use a fresh start, but I think he has a record that deserves respect.

I don't understand the hesitance with Stallings. He's been to 12 Postseason Tourneys in 17 seasons (7 NCAAs/5 NITs) at essentially the Northwestern of the SEC.

Edit: Great minds, ACE, great minds....

I'm sort of mystified at how some view Stallings. He has made the NCAA Tourney 7 times and the NIT 5 times in his 17 seasons. His 7 NCAA tourney appearances are more during that time frame than SEC rivals Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss and Miss State. On top of that, he is playing in a strange arena for a school that actually values academic integrity and competing against some of these sleazy SEC schools. He is at more of a disadvantage than Northwestern is in the Big 12 and look at how that program has struggled to compete. Maybe the game has passed Stallings by... maybe he has stayed at one place too long and could use a fresh start, but I think he has a record that deserves respect.

Not just that, but in his 16 or 17 years, he has coached Vandy to half of their NCAA tournament appearances.

Great post. I was going to bring up the Northwestern comparison but you beat me to it. What he has accomplished at Vandy is significant given their situation.

I have no idea if Stallings has any desire to come here but if he did I'd sure take 10 years of what I expect out of him over the true unknown of a hot-shot assistant or even the next up and comer, either of which is likely to bolt as soon as they have any NCAA tourney success. For the historians among us, SLU's only real periods of success have been under Spoon and Majerus, two older coaches in the final 10 years of their career that aren't bolting the first time they win a few games.

As exciting as Cuonzo Martin would be, his resume and never staying more than 3 years at any school would be a major red flag.

Bryce Drew would be my top choice, but I think he's pretty unrealistic. Romar isn't leaving Washington and if I'm Bennett, I'm taking Stanford all day over SLU. If we're prioritizing head coaches, I think Stallings would be a really good fit.

Bryce Drew would be my top choice, but I think he's pretty unrealistic. Romar isn't leaving Washington and if I'm Bennett, I'm taking Stanford all day over SLU. If we're prioritizing head coaches, I think Stallings would be a really good fit.

Why is Drew unrealistic? He doesn't make that much money. I know he has a long term deal, but I can't imagine the buyout is that outrageous. I also can't imagine he enjoys playing in the NIT with a team that probably deserved to be in the NCAA's ... except for his one bid conference

Why is Drew unrealistic? He doesn't make that much money. I know he has a long term deal, but I can't imagine the buyout is that outrageous. I also can't imagine he enjoys playing in the NIT with a team that probably deserved to be in the NCAA's ... except for his one bid conference

He played at Valpo. His dad coached at Valpo. And I think he can do a lot better than SLU. If I'm him, I want to either stay at my alma mater or coach at a big school. Maybe he'll think differently. We should certainly offer.

Great post. I was going to bring up the Northwestern comparison but you beat me to it. What he has accomplished at Vandy is significant given their situation.

I have no idea if Stallings has any desire to come here but if he did I'd sure take 10 years of what I expect out of him over the true unknown of a hot-shot assistant or even the next up and comer, either of which is likely to bolt as soon as they have any NCAA tourney success. For the historians among us, SLU's only real periods of success have been under Spoon and Majerus, two older coaches in the final 10 years of their career that aren't bolting the first time they win a few games.

As exciting as Cuonzo Martin would be, his resume and never staying more than 3 years at any school would be a major red flag.

Plus, Stallings is only 55, which is younger than I had assumed. He could be a long-term solution.

We sure did. Offered him, even.

They have another kid, Roberson, who we offered and were actually a finalist for - I think he picked Vandy over us and one other.

I watch Vandy to see Roberson play, I watch Butler to see Kellen Martin play and I watch Xavier for Macura and Abell.

Those kids were listed on your list of recruits that SLU offered and did not get.

The thing I don't love about going with the assistant coach route is that it's no guarantee that they can recruit to a non BCS school and they are not proven in terms of X's and O's. SLU is in a position right now where every year removed from their recent success makes it harder and harder to sell the program. Not to kick a man while he's down, but Crews really tanked the program. You need to start winning. Do you go with a proven above-average coach like Stallings or do you take a risk on an unproven assistant with potentially higher upside but can also dig an even bigger hole?

He played at Valpo. His dad coached at Valpo. And I think he can do a lot better than SLU. If I'm him, I want to either stay at my alma mater or coach at a big school. Maybe he'll think differently. We should certainly offer.

On the other hand ... his Dad is from St. Louis, we play in the 7th best conference in the country, have a beautiful new arena and training facilities in a city that has produced some of the best talent in the country lately and can afford to pay him quite well. Are there really more than 50-75 jobs in the country that have more potential for greatness than SLU. I believe SLU is a job just waiting for someone to unlock the door to greatness

I will say this about Drew -- and this is NOT from any insider, just a hunch. And based on what I happen to know about the Drew family...

There is a lot to be said for school culture, playing by the rules, issues of faith even. I can tell you a great deal about Valpo, and the culture of faith on that campus--they are not kidding around about that. At Valpo, being an alumnus and his dad the coach, I think it's fair to say Drew has grown use to a smaller community, a clean program, and student athletes who, more or less, are committed to certain kinds of lifestyle, both morally and educationally. Someone claims he can do "better." Who defines "better"? In any case, I really have doubts about Drew feeling comfortable at a "BIG" school in a huge conference with millions and millions of dollars from unscrupulous booster-types. He may in fact wish to do "better" than SLU -- I have no inside info -- but what is better, and according to whom??

Majerus could have done "better" as well, by the way; and I can tell you from personal conversations with him, he truly valued the things that make SLU special, compared to other, bigger, "better" programs. He had his issues, btw; and some horrible things happened with some of those players, on his watch, no debate there. But when he talked about the people and tradition of SLU, and the Jesuits -- he was telling the truth, it really meant a lot to him.

I am suggesting that SLU may, in fact, be the perfect fit for a guy like Bryce Drew -- one who values certain kinds of community, which truly SLU has, with something special to offer. And it would be a step up, conference wise, urban-wise, and academic-wise. Plus a major raise -- what's not to like?? Drew could stick around a very long time, in that case...

On the other hand ... his Dad is from St. Louis, we play in the 7th best conference in the country, have a beautiful new arena and training facilities in a city that has produced some of the best talent in the country lately and can afford to pay him quite well. Are there really more than 50-75 jobs in the country that have more potential for greatness than SLU. I believe SLU is a job just waiting for someone to unlock the door to greatness

Not sure his dad being from St Louis is a major selling point but I do agree with what you're saying. Just not sure he wants to go from a 25+ win, fringe NCAA team to a team that has won 22 games combined the last two years.

In any case, I really have doubts about Drew feeling comfortable at a "BIG" school in a huge conference with millions and millions of dollars from unscrupulous booster-types. He may in fact wish to do "better" than SLU -- I have no inside info -- but what is better, and according to whom??

Kind of like when his brother coached at Valpo and then went to Baylor? I think I've read this about every successful coach at a small school. Hell even VCU fans who were "in-the-know" said it about Shaka and then he goes to Texas with one of the most political, booster-driven athletic departments in the country.

I know nothing about Drew as a person. I would love to have him here and I think if we offer him north of $1M we have a chance to land him. He's my top choice. But I just don't think it's that realistic.

I watch Vandy to see Roberson play, I watch Butler to see Kellen Martin play and I watch Xavier for Macura and Abell.

Those kids were listed on your list of recruits that SLU offered and did not get.

Kelan Martin is the one that kills me. He is Butler's best player and apparently the final decision was between us and them. The Macuras of the world were names on our list but probably we weren't that close to getting. Martin though...

Kelan Martin is the one that kills me. He is Butler's best player and apparently the final decision was between us and them. The Macuras of the world were names on our list but probably we weren't that close to getting. Martin though...

Wasn't Remy Abell down to us and X?

DocB is spot on about the religious aspect of how Drew runs his program. He has Rev. Powell from UIUC as one of his assistants. It's a big part of the pitch to certain kids, and exactly how he landed Alec Peters there over SLU, Butler, and others.

Wasn't Remy Abell down to us and X?

Yes, but we were also recruiting Ash at that same time. I'm not sure we had room for two transfers who play the same position. I think it was an either/or. Granted he is playing on a better team, but not sure Abell is better than Ash. The rebounding numbers alone Ash brought were a huge, and much better than Abell. That tool Kelan Martin is really the big miss. He is an excellent player. May have been good enough to save JC's job for at least another year, which for the long-term future of the program, probably would not have been a good thing.

Yes, but we were also recruiting Ash at that same time. I'm not sure we had room for two transfers who play the same position. I think it was an either/or. Granted he is playing on a better team, but not sure Abell is better than Ash. The rebounding numbers alone Ash brought were a huge, and much better than Abell. That tool Kelan Martin is really the big miss. He is an excellent player. May have been good enough to save JC's job for at least another year, which for the long-term future of the program, probably would not have been a good thing.

+1. Ash and Abell are probably about equal. Maybe Abell is a bit better but not a difference maker.

Martin is a difference maker and probably would have lead to 3-5 extra wins each of the last two seasons. As you point out maybe that would be enough to save Crews' job. Maybe his presence would have been enough for a guy like Tatum to have faith that we could be good (I'm convinced part of the reason he said no was he knew the team was going to suck). Always fun to play the what-if game. Only Marty McFly could master it.