Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Xavier is full on scholarships, is it safe to remove them from the "2014 Offers List" for the players we're looking at.

Probably, but you never know- transfers, decommits. Some of those things can happen quickly and unexpectedly.

But for all intents and purposes, they're no longer in the running for Martin, Walker, Patterson, Smith, Reddick, and McCaw.

A longer and proven track-record of success for the other.

p.s. our recruiting is going fine. We've got 3 in the bag and have a very good shot at #4 in the next couple weeks. We don't need to finish the fall with all 6 being used so if we get to 4 or maybe 5 this fall with some of the primary names being discussed, we'd have to be ecstatic with how things have gone.

I would much rather fill the class out so we can spend all our time on 2015 and beyond. I understand that if we have one left it is not the end of the world but 2 or 3 would be problematic in my opinion.

I would much rather fill the class out so we can spend all our time on 2015 and beyond. I understand that if we have one left it is not the end of the world but 2 or 3 would be problematic in my opinion.

I don't really agree that having 2 left for the spring is a problem. 3 would be.

For the 2015 class we only have 2 schollys available and for the 2016 class we only have 2. While it would be nice to focus on those classes they just aren't that big so its not going to be the end of the world if we have to spend time this winter recruiting a couple more guys for 2014. I prefer to have the flexibility of 1-2 open scholarships to use on potential transfers, jucos (class balance could be solved with this option) or a player that fits a need in the spring.

While the coaches may think they know what positions they need, this coming year will give them a better sense of our true needs. If we've locked ourselves into 6 players and it turns out we desperately need a center (or a PG, or a SF, or whatever) having a scholly or two available gives us that flexibility.

Of course, if 3 really really good players want to commit now, then you take them. But once number 4 commits, I'd be very selective with 5 and 6 and I'm not going to worry if we save those for later.

I would be very happy if we could do the following - land Martin this fall (my top priority)and it would be nice to land another quality recruit in the fall... best player available regardless of position - McCaw, Mayimba or Jalyn Patterson would all fit that description for me. Then, I would keep one scholarship available for the spring. Having an open scholarship would also allow us to explore the mid-season transfer market. After this season, the staff would have a good idea of our needs. How good are the collection of bigs (TL,GG, JM and RA)? If we need to upgrade there, a juco big would be a good fit. How good is McBroom and do we feel good about him as the starting point guard? What do they think of Yacoubou after seeing him practice for a year? Does Crawford project as an impact player in 2014-15? If there are questions in the backcourt, get a juco guard. Hopefully, it will be clear after this season that we have a deep, loaded roster so the last scholarship in the spring can be used on quality transfer or best player available.

We only need 1 open scholarship for 2016.... the elephant in the room

I believe 2 schollies for 2016 - McBroom and Yacoubou will graduate after 15-16 season. We also have been recruiting a few jucos and if we land one of them, that would be a third scholarship to fill in 2016.

I believe 2 schollies for 2016 - McBroom and Yacoubou will graduate after 15-16 season. We also have been recruiting a few jucos and if we land one of them, that would be a third scholarship to fill in 2016.

I'm guessing he's stating that Tatum is already coming here, so only one more?

I don't really agree that having 2 left for the spring is a problem. 3 would be.

For the 2015 class we only have 2 schollys available and for the 2016 class we only have 2. While it would be nice to focus on those classes they just aren't that big so its not going to be the end of the world if we have to spend time this winter recruiting a couple more guys for 2014. I prefer to have the flexibility of 1-2 open scholarships to use on potential transfers, jucos (class balance could be solved with this option) or a player that fits a need in the spring.

While the coaches may think they know what positions they need, this coming year will give them a better sense of our true needs. If we've locked ourselves into 6 players and it turns out we desperately need a center (or a PG, or a SF, or whatever) having a scholly or two available gives us that flexibility.

Of course, if 3 really really good players want to commit now, then you take them. But once number 4 commits, I'd be very selective with 5 and 6 and I'm not going to worry if we save those for later.

Nobody is advocating that we take just warm bodies but here is the problem I see - from what has been posted about Gilman he sounds like another Manning type project. While a project can work out the Billiken's past history would say more likely not. So we already have project coming next year - now that means we only really have 2 potential players who have a good chance of being contributors. Lets be honest, Gilman committed because he saw that if he waited and others started to commit then he may have found himself out in the cold. I really think we would be best to sign at least 2 more players we want and if you or others say hold on to the other one for the spring an see what happens then fine I can live with that but not anymore.

We really do not know either, Tatum or the Big East.

You can watch the water in the half-full glass evaporate, if you want, but I'm confident that SLU will join the Big East before Jayson Tatum gets to sign a letter of intent. Moreover, I think SLU can and will be appealing to JT even not being in the Big East.