108 replies to this topic

#41 ACE

ACE

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Wow, this program has come a long way if some folks are not at least somewhat impressed. This seems to make a lot of sense. Whoever we were going to sign at this point was unlikely to crack the rotation this coming year. If we didn't sign a guard now, we were going to have to anyway when KM graduated. Now, as it stands, we will have three scholarships available after next season. For 2013, I would go after an athletic 2/3, kinda like Femi was supposed to be, plus a 4 & 5 and we are ready to rock in roll for several years.

It makes sense the way RM is spacing out the positions about two years apart. CR and CE, with GG and JM two years behind, plus Rob in the middle. At the 3, DE with JDrew two years behind. After KM graduates, JJ and MM will be seniors with Carter and McBroom two years behind. Looks like a solid blueprint for long-term success.

#42 ACE

ACE

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Since I don't know much about the player, not sure what to make of this. On one hand, it's always nice to pick up a seemingly legit D-1 player. On the other hand, our 5th guard on the depth chart this past season was also a MAC All Freshman team player, so I might be taking a wait and see approach.

Edit: Apparently he scored 15 against Temple last season. Also scored 15 against Charlotte, but that was a 2OT game.

Scoring 15 as a freshman against Temple is impressive. As a senior, Cassity couldn't do anything against the Owls this past season. This kid was also 5-5 from 3-point land in a game against Minnesota.

#43 MB73

MB73

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

You would think with Rickma's history of sending bigs to the NBA at Utah he would have had more success attracting some more polished bigs at SLU.

For once, we completely agree. I was going to write that exact same thing. Wow.
I am pleased with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.
This kid from Central Michigan might be a good pick up but we are getting thin up front, no real post up players, no intimidating force on "D", no inside muscle, unless somehow RL and CE take it up two notches down low, or Glaze or Manning surprise.

#44 BillyKen

BillyKen

Freshman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

That 3.09 GPA is solid, but should we be worried about this Tweet?

@AustinMcbroom: "Committed to University of St. Louis instagr.am/p/KMJaCjnlQq/" -13 hours ago via Instagram

I hope that in the year he sits on the bench he figures out that we are Saint Louis University (hence the SLU) and not University of Saint Louis.

#45 majerus mojo

majerus mojo

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I am please with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.
This kid from Central Michigan might be a good pick up but we are getting thin up front, no real post up players, no intimidating force on "D", no inside muscle, unless somehow RL and CE take it up two notches down low, or Glaze or Manning surprise.

Why don't you two start another thread to discuss your big men fantasies? 5 star bigs? Coming right up.

Looks like an awesome pick-up, can only hope his 3-point skills translate a little better than JB's did this season..

Let me be the first to say.... McBroom goes the dynamite.

#46 BillyKen

BillyKen

Freshman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

this is a ridiculous discussion--as often seems to happen on this board.

Look at our team this year with all of the guards we had--any NCAA team worth its salt has at least 4 good guards and usually want to have excellent players "in waiting" for when the first teamers graduate. this young man seems to be not a good but a great shooter with a ton of potential for the furture. He will sit out next season and practice against KM, JJ and MM--that will only make him better. When he becomes eligible he will be a soph but will be stronger and more mature. He will have a natural running mate in Carter and we can expect him to get minutes behind JJ and MM, depending upon the matchups. Having a pure shooter come off the bench is a wonderful luxury. We can expect him to be a starter in his junior year when we will need him most and he will have two years as an experienced guard on a good team.

Our bigs are well set up for next year with Cody and Cory as seniors, Loe and Evans as juniors, Manning and Glaze as sophs and our Indiana swingman Drew as a frosh.

The following year we will still have Loe, Evans, Manning, Glaze and Drew and several open scholarships to use on other big men as we see fit.

In fact, we are set up very well with a lot of talent and it will be spread among various classes. I actually think this is a fantastic addition to our team and all of the BS is just that.

couldn't agree more. RM knows what he is doing. We are deep so getting a guy we know has experience and can play and shoot to sit for a year to learn our system is more than ok with me. we have solid foundation and now we can attract some bigs because we have shooters, slashers, and unselfish distributors to welcome a solid big. We will be more than ok.

And, we can start recruiting Dakota Simms as our next guard. This kid is legit...with a Conklin attitude already.

#47 moytoy12

moytoy12

I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,679 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

I am please with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.

I'm still pissed RM didn't get Anthony Davis.

#48 jbizzle09

jbizzle09

Listener of the Streets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Why don't you two start another thread to discuss your big men fantasies? 5 star bigs? Coming right up.

Looks like an awesome pick-up, can only hope his 3-point skills translate a little better than JB's did this season..

Let me be the first to say.... McBroom goes the dynamite.

Per Rivals, there were a toal of 25 five-star players in the 2012 class. 15 of them were forwards or centers. 5 of them were 6'9" or taller. Those players were:

Nerlens Noel - Kentucky
Isaiah Austin - Baylor
Steven Adams - Pitt
Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona
Grant Jarrett - Arizona

Now, to be fair, there were an additional 80 players that were considered 4-star players. Of those 80, 48 were forwards or centers. Of those 48, 18 are 6'9" or taller. And of those 18, all but 1 signed with BCS conference teams (Robert Upshaw with Fresno St. Another player, Chicken Knowles, a 6'9", 190 lb. forward signed with Houston, who will be joining the Big East in 2013.) So, basically, there were 23 4- or 5-star players that were 6'9" or taller for the 2012 season.

Currently, Rivals has 15 5-star recruits for the 2013 season. Seven of them are forwards and only one of them is 6'9" or taller (#6 overall Chris Walker.) There are another 85 overall players that are 4-star right now, and since that is for the next graduating season, the list is bound to change. But, most likely, we are looking at the same situation as 2012, which is roughly 20-25 players that fit the parameter of what everyone is begging for, which is a 4- to 5-star low post player that brings real size.

Even with an NCAA tourney appearance, a very good conference and Majerus's rep, we just aren't going to get these players right now. The best we can hope for are either 'diamonds in the rough' or 'under the radar' guys (a la Willie Reed), 3-star guys (like Manning and Glaze) or international bigs (Cody and Rob.) Then, we just have to trust that Majerus can mold them appropriately.

#49 Band Legend

Band Legend

Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:running marathons, revery and conviviality

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Man, I can remember when we were all excited when Horace Dixon was a late signing. After all, he was a 6'7" forward. How'd that turn out, Roy? I for one am perfectly comfortable with Rickma's rectruiting strategies. He has forgotten more about ball than anyone on this board knows.

#50 Duff Man

Duff Man

Sophomore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

First of all, there just aren't that many polished elite low post players in the recruiting pool. The ones that are out there are not going to slip under the radar. They are courted by the dirtiest of dirty programs - so you're probably going to have to pull shenanigans to sign one. They typically don't play 4 years.

That's not the program Majerus is running. Majerus signs unpolished bigs that he believes he can mold into quality players - like he did with Conklin. It's way too early to write off Manning or Glaze. I expect at least one of them to develop into a star, and the other will at worst be a quality rebounder off the bench.

Re: too many guards

How quickly we forget how easily a player can be lost to injury/suspension/regression. Last year we were fortunate, but unlike previous years we could have survivied if one of our guards had gone down for the year or forgot how to shoot. That's how it should be.

#51 WVBilliken

WVBilliken

Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Good pick-up. College basketball is a guard oriented game, especially for the mid and high-mid majors. Way to go RM. Now let's get two bigs and another tweener during fall signing period.

#52 majerus mojo

majerus mojo

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Per Rivals, there were a toal of 25 five-star players in the 2012 class. 15 of them were forwards or centers. 5 of them were 6'9" or taller. Those players were:

Nerlens Noel - Kentucky
Isaiah Austin - Baylor
Steven Adams - Pitt
Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona
Grant Jarrett - Arizona

Now, to be fair, there were an additional 80 players that were considered 4-star players. Of those 80, 48 were forwards or centers. Of those 48, 18 are 6'9" or taller. And of those 18, all but 1 signed with BCS conference teams (Robert Upshaw with Fresno St. Another player, Chicken Knowles, a 6'9", 190 lb. forward signed with Houston, who will be joining the Big East in 2013.) So, basically, there were 23 4- or 5-star players that were 6'9" or taller for the 2012 season.

Currently, Rivals has 15 5-star recruits for the 2013 season. Seven of them are forwards and only one of them is 6'9" or taller (#6 overall Chris Walker.) There are another 85 overall players that are 4-star right now, and since that is for the next graduating season, the list is bound to change. But, most likely, we are looking at the same situation as 2012, which is roughly 20-25 players that fit the parameter of what everyone is begging for, which is a 4- to 5-star low post player that brings real size.

Even with an NCAA tourney appearance, a very good conference and Majerus's rep, we just aren't going to get these players right now. The best we can hope for are either 'diamonds in the rough' or 'under the radar' guys (a la Willie Reed), 3-star guys (like Manning and Glaze) or international bigs (Cody and Rob.) Then, we just have to trust that Majerus can mold them appropriately.

Boom, boom, boom. Great post. Tons of info. Love it. Rick's the man.

#53 3Bill

3Bill

Freshman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Roy was excited when we signed dustin mcguire and Anthony Mitchell and was ok when we held schollies two year in a row but he finds fault with this? What a sad guy

#54 Band Legend

Band Legend

Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:running marathons, revery and conviviality

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Let's also not forget that our stud inside man this year was an intermediate contributor for three years who came into his own as a senior. This is the lot of a non BCS basketball team. Brian Conklin was not a 5 star recruit, but under Rickma once he got healthy as a senior he was a stud. The people who are writing off Manning and Glaze because they couldn't crack the lineup this year are idiots. The only reason Conk played so much all four years is that when he came in, there was nobody else to play inside. It is hard to believe that we have a real system for success in place but some blockheads just can't seem to get it.

#55 slu72

slu72

• Members
  • 11,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

this is a ridiculous discussion--as often seems to happen on this board.

Look at our team this year with all of the guards we had--any NCAA team worth its salt has at least 4 good guards and usually want to have excellent players "in waiting" for when the first teamers graduate. this young man seems to be not a good but a great shooter with a ton of potential for the furture. He will sit out next season and practice against KM, JJ and MM--that will only make him better. When he becomes eligible he will be a soph but will be stronger and more mature. He will have a natural running mate in Carter and we can expect him to get minutes behind JJ and MM, depending upon the matchups. Having a pure shooter come off the bench is a wonderful luxury. We can expect him to be a starter in his junior year when we will need him most and he will have two years as an experienced guard on a good team.

Our bigs are well set up for next year with Cody and Cory as seniors, Loe and Evans as juniors, Manning and Glaze as sophs and our Indiana swingman Drew as a frosh.

The following year we will still have Loe, Evans, Manning, Glaze and Drew and several open scholarships to use on other big men as we see fit.

In fact, we are set up very well with a lot of talent and it will be spread among various classes. I actually think this is a fantastic addition to our team and all of the BS is just that.

Billikan, if RM recruited the next coming of the bigs he had at Utah, Broy would find fault with them. No offense, Broy, but if Uncle Brad had got this transfer you'd be excited as all get out. I like the way we're constructed next year, 13-14, and even beyond. And besides who are we to question RM's offers? The guy knows how to build a winner.

#56 billiken_roy

billiken_roy

• Members
  • 22,043 posts
  • Interests:The Billikens, Ainad Shriner Drum and Bugle Corps, The Rotary Club of Swansea, Collecting Anheuser Busch Beer Steins, and Watching high school sports.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Roy was excited when we signed dustin mcguire and Anthony Mitchell and was ok when we held schollies two year in a row but he finds fault with this? What a sad guy

you want to show me the dustin mcguire post where i was excited/ you want to show me where i defended holding scholarships? i think you have been reading too many ace posts. i may not have attacked the moves, but i dont recall being "excited" or "ok".
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

#57 billiken_roy

billiken_roy

• Members
  • 22,043 posts
  • Interests:The Billikens, Ainad Shriner Drum and Bugle Corps, The Rotary Club of Swansea, Collecting Anheuser Busch Beer Steins, and Watching high school sports.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Billikan, if RM recruited the next coming of the bigs he had at Utah, Broy would find fault with them. No offense, Broy, but if Uncle Brad had got this transfer you'd be excited as all get out. I like the way we're constructed next year, 13-14, and even beyond. And besides who are we to question RM's offers? The guy knows how to build a winner.

slu72, like ace, you need to get over soderberg. he is long gone and should be. i moved on. pretty obvious you still havent.

- Walt Disney

#58 slu72

slu72

• Members
  • 11,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

By the time he can play Jett and McCall will be seniors. Im not ecstatic about it but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Hello, we just lost another guard to transfer, the Greek, and replaced him with a better player. Where's all this consternation coming from?

#59 slu72

slu72

• Members
  • 11,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

slu72, like ace, you need to get over soderberg. he is long gone and should be. i moved on. pretty obvious you still havent.

Broy, Brad's gone. RM is the coach. Why can't you accept that and just enjoy the ride? Look, we all know you can't stomach him, but that's not the point. Wins are the point. It's been 5 years since he cut UB's last recruits. They've moved on, why can't you?

What's bothersome is every move he makes you jam him for it. And what did he do to deserve your derision? Piss off Fr. B, the local media, be arrogant? Big deal. The guy's a great HC and, surprise of surprises, he happened to land at little ol' SLU.

#60 billiken_roy

billiken_roy

• Members
  • 22,043 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Broy, Brad's gone. RM is the coach. Why can't you accept that and just enjoy the ride? Look, we all know you can't stomach him, but that's not the point. Wins are the point. It's been 5 years since he cut UB's last recruits. They've moved on, why can't you?

What's bothersome is every move he makes you jam him for it. And what did he do to deserve your derision? Piss off Fr. B, the local media, be arrogant? Big deal. The guy's a great HC and, surprise of surprises, he happened to land at little ol' SLU.

when is the last time i wrote pining about soderberg? the answer is about 6 years ago. it is you and your rickma worshipper buddies that havent gotten over soderberg. i may not like rickma, but i dont want to go back to the brad days and see no connection between not wanting soderberg or rickma. it is you and the others that seem to think if rickma is gone we must be going to get the resurrection of soderberg. i have never said anything of the sort.

and slu72, you know exactly most of my points vs rickma. i have always said he is a good basketball coach. it is the rest i dont agree with. i think a coach can and should be all things to a university. not just about winning basketball games. they need to win, but imo there is more to the job than that as well.

- Walt Disney