Swapshire

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a sad statement on society. Here is a kid that has a chance to get his college paid for at probably a wide range of schools and instead he is only focused on the NBA. What are the parents thinking? A good college education that will increase his chances of having a successful career in whatever field he chooses should be the priority over taking a shot at the less than 1% of kids playing basketball that will make the NBA.

I guess that his parents feel that he has a chance at the NBA. $30,000 a year is a lot of money. But also remember that he must first play at least one year of college ball before the NBA. He could come back for a year at SLU, but will probably go ACC or SEC. I am certain that they are counting on him getting a full ride to college and then the big payback of NBA. He will need to get serious about his body. He is too skiny for even their H. S. programs. As for acidemics, they take three classes a day and a study hall. Does anyone have any idea who the play?

Seriously, if you're a kid with middle-of-the-road academics, and you fully believe (as they all do and as I've said before) that you are the next Jordan, exactly why are you sitting in Western Civilizatio 101, College Composition, Algebra, or even Chemistry for Non-Science Majors? Instead, you are barnstorming around the country, playing ball, with the Ipod in your ears, playing Street Thugs or X games VII on the PSP, and putting in the time having fun while waiting for the miniscule one-year time period to lapse. What are you going to do? What appeals as a better life to you?

I'll even bet you that the "hey, if I don't get drafted I can go hang out with some European pro team for a year and hit the big time then" attitude is also out there. The view that Americans have of the European leagues is that its easy money because they can't be better athletes than us despite the fact that USA world domination of basketball is under severe fire right now. Which will again go away once LeBron and Wade and Co. win the current Wolrd Games we are in now. Then there is the NBDL which won't pay better but it still beats listening to a Father Boskin droll on and on for three hours a week in Judiasm, Christianity and Islam.

While I agree that the talent level of college ball will always be on the up and up if these athletes stayed in school, I believe that the game might be better served if they weren't a part of it to begin with. While there is probably something to be said for a Jordan or a Carter or a Wade to stay three or so years, I would argue that there is very little left in the college coffers when a Marbury, a Hughes, a Wagner, a Francis, a Hardaway or a Wingfield come and go for a one-and-done.

The bottom line is the betterment of the person and that person's lot in life. We all know that only 1% of the millions of kids playing basketball make it to the utmost levels. We also can agree that most kids believe it will be them there as soon as possible. We know there are many more failures than there are successes. So to me, most of the parents and kids and the handlers of these kids are rolling the dice so to speak to get their piece of the pie. There is no looking at a backup plan which to me, a college degree would be.

Lonnie Baxter ws just picked up in DC for discharging a firearm in the vicinity of the White House the other night. A pretty decent college player with a national championship, some NBA time on teams pulling in a paycheck bigger than most and his lawyers have decided to let him sit it out in the DC holding cells for a while to think about where his life is going. Another of the many different stories about how this life stlye, even if achieved for a fleeting moment, doesn't guarantee anything. Us older guys know why the college degree is needed. Society and the big bucks are making it this way.

Maybe if he doesn't make it, he can tour on the And1 group. I hear those guys are really athletes who just didn't catch a break.

It's a high school ... maybe a freaking good high school compared to some of the crap offered by today's public educational facilities, but a high school nonetheless. You don't get anywhere with today's high school diploma and its almost debatable that you can stop with today's undergrad degree as well. Some sort of post-graduate work is almost a requirement in today's day and age of wrok place competitiveness.

No .. Mr. Swopshire is banking on parlaying the talent he has into the next level ... which would be one of the big conferences and then into the mega-bucks that is the NBA. The school don't mean much in this equation. Rather, it is a means by which to accomplish the end. The NBA is the pot of gold at the end of the Swopshire rainbow. I guess if you're going to follow the dream, you've got to make all the investments you can to do that. Again, given the really high odds that make the NBA, nice to know that your dream is completely focused because the small success rate will demand total committment on both the kid and the family's part.

I am certain almost no one goes to IMG to get into the Warton School of Business or the Unversity of Chicago Grad School.

Does going to IMG Academy means he has to skip college? He's not really a high-major recruit as of now, SLU just offered a few weeks ago. I think it's an excellent way to get his recruitment up so he can go to a high-major basketball college for free and hopefully have a maximum of 4 years, minimum of 1 year to build his draft stock.

It was a situation that he felt he couldn't pass up. The chance to go to a school that works out and aids in the development of some of the top players in the game today. It is also a first rate education and an opportunity to play against better talent year around. He will have quality coaches working with him to develop his game but it will also give him the opportunity to live away from home in a controlled environment so college won't be such a shock for him. This is going to be an excellent opportunity for him as far as basktball and academics are concerned. I am also willing to bet that he will have the opportunity to attend an ACC, SEC or Big East school when all is said and done.

orange julius said about jared shopshire attending img:

"I am also willing to bet that he will have the opportunity to attend an ACC, SEC or Big East school when all is said and done."

i would guess from what i have read about young mr shopshire that would have been the case anyway. my question is how does the cost justify the result? he was a high major prospect anyway, and he was in a fairly good school district already, ie would have likely made the necessary grades to get in school.

if you think that it is still a better academic position, the parents could have paid tuition to sluh which imo is just an awesome college prep scenario for about $20k less per year and likely been in the same position for high major college both academically and athletically.

why not say what is likely the real reason. a chance to be rubbing elbows with the dreaded agents who tell parents what they want to hear and promise the big dream. it will be interesting to see how this plays out until college time for jared. if he isnt starting for kentucky his freshmen season, i would say it was a stupid decision.

A 6'7 180 lb small forward who doesn't do anything particularly well is not a slam dunk high major player. Swopshire needs to improve either his outside jumper or his ballhandling for that to be the case. Maybe the FZW coach was pushing to be a power forward? In any case, there simply aren't any programs in the St. Louis area with a reputation for developing big wing players. If his parents have secured a financial aid package or have the dough outright to send Swopshire to a big-money prep school then more power to them. Tommie getting to play point at Hargrave is certainly paying dividends for him and us.

As a SLUH alumnus, I agree that it is excellent academically and as a college prep, but if my kid was a big time basketball prospect, SLUH would not be the best place for him to hone his skills. It pains me to say this, but for a big time basketball prospect who is a good student, Alumnifan's alma mater (DeSmet) would probably be a much better choice.

Regardless, how can you fault the kid and his parents for picking a situation that should enable him to develop and succeed both athletically and academically?

>I don't follow the NBA.....anybody know how many IMG Academy

>grads are currently playing in the NBA?

I only know of Ricky Sanchez from the 2005. He made the leap straight from high school to the pros. It would take a lot of research to see how many guys went there for high school, then D1 and then the pros. They train a lot of professional athletes though. There have been some great high school combinations like Prince and Chandler at Dominguez, Ford and Ewing went to high school together. Joe Forte and Steve Blake. Charlie V and Luol Deng. Those teams were nothing compared to an Oak Hill, a Mount Zion or a Lauringburg, but they were pretty good. Charlie V and Luol Deng went Blair Academy, which sounds like a prep school, but I cant confirm that. Is it better if kids hook up and make super teams that win and get kids on the best AAU teams come the fall and draw scouts to their high school games? Or is it better for the talent to be more spread out? I know there was a lot of movement at Fort Zumhalt West. Wiss and Davis in, Belger, Fischer, Swapshire out.

Kevin Garnett Al Harrington

Jamaal Tinsley Jeff Foster

Primoz Brevec Ron Mercer

Jonathan Bender Brad Miller

Tyronn Lue Kwame Brown

Brendan Haywood Etan Thomas

Erick Dampier Adonal Foyle

Chauncey Billups Steven Hunter

Harold Jamison Erick Barkley

Lawrence Funderburke John Wallace

P. J. Brown Travis Hansen

Matt Bonner Chris Bosh

Rick Rickert Reece Gaines

Jared Jeffries Dahntay Jones

Melvin Ely Travis Outlaw

Fred Jones Ndudi Ebi

Tito Maddox Randy Holcomb

Koko Archibong Stephane Pelle

Maceo Baston Vince Carter

Michael Bradley Antonio Davis

Anthony Carter Chris Jeffries

Larry Hughes Dermarr Johnson

Lindsey Hunter Jelani McCoy

Mamadou N'diaye Morris Peterson

Milt Palacio Jerome Williams

Lavor Postell Jahidi White

Tayshaun Prince Zendon Hamilton

Michael Stewart

2004 NBA Draft Picks:

#13 Sebastian Telfair – Portland Trailblazers

#14 Kris Humphries – Utah Jazz

#33 Lionel Chalmers – LA Clippers

#38 Chris Duhon – Chicago Bulls

#52 Romain Sato – San Antonio Spurs

Free Agents:

Erick Barkley (#28 ’00) – Blazers/Spurs

Cookie Belcher – Hawks/Italy

Matt Carroll – Notre Dame/Knicks/Spurs

Noel Felix – Fresno St./Suns

Marlon Garnett – Santa Clara/Spain

Venson Hamilton (#50 ’99) – Rockets/Italy

Zendon Hamilton – St. John’s/Europe/76ers

Chris Haslem – Wyoming/Belgium

Harold Jamison – Heat/Clippers/Cavs

Lorenzo Johnson – Colorado St./Europe

Quincy Lewis (#19 ’99) – Jazz/Israel

Kevin Lyde – Temple/NBDL

Will McDonald – USF

Michael Ruffin (#32 ’99) – Sixers/Spain

Kenny Satterfield – Nuggets/Sixers

Damon Thorton – NC State/Europe

Ugonna Onyekwe – Penn

John Wallace (#18 ’96) – Knicks/Raptors/Suns

I don't believe all of these guys attended the academy full time for a whole year. Still from this list it doesn't appear that attending this academy is a sure bet to NBA stardom. There are a couple all stars and a few starters but a lot of these guys suffered from ideas of granduer and went NBA way too early, now I see why, they attended this academy.

>A 6'7 180 lb small forward who doesn't do anything

>particularly well is not a slam dunk high major player.

>Swopshire needs to improve either his outside jumper or his

>ballhandling for that to be the case. Maybe the FZW coach

>was pushing to be a power forward? In any case, there

>simply aren't any programs in the St. Louis area with a

>reputation for developing big wing players. If his parents

>have secured a financial aid package or have the dough

>outright to send Swopshire to a big-money prep school then

>more power to them. Tommie getting to play point at

>Hargrave is certainly paying dividends for him and us.

Tommie always played pg in high school. Guys like Mark Howlett, Bennie Lewis and Demario Smith played the wing. Tommie was omly 6'0 his freshman year.

"Tommie always played pg in high school. Guys like Mark

Howlett, Bennie Lewis and Demario Smith played the wing.

Tommie was omly 6'0 his freshman year".

Not totally true, Tommie always had the skills to play the point, however Coach Bennie Lewis used Tommie primarily at the 3 during his freshmen season. After Lewis' forced resignation Coach Brooks used Tommie at the 3 as Alonzo Nelson, Mark Howlett and Will Rodgers were the guards for Tommie's last 2 seasons. Tommie did however assumed the role of point-forward during crunch time.

One other note*

I don't believe Joseph Forte played with Blake in HS or college. Forte did play with the Kentucky guard Keith Bogans