streets

word on the street is that slu is supposed to get a visit from a power forward from south carolina (if he hasn't visited already). i think his name is horace dickson or dixon (not sure of spelling). I'll let you research hounds take over.

bad boyz for life

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1318717

Horace Dixon

Ht: 6-8 Wt: 190

Position: PF

Year: Class of 2006

AAU Team: South Carolina Elite

High School: Fork Union Military Academy

(Fork Union, VA)

Scout.com Player Evaluation:

STRENGTHS

Athleticism

Upside/Potential

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

Defensive Presence

Finisher

Low Block Scorer

Long bodied big man who has a live body. Will get mid-major looks galore. Has high-major athleticism.

>http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1318717

>

>Horace Dixon

>

>Ht: 6-8 Wt: 190

>Position: PF

>Year: Class of 2006

>AAU Team: South Carolina Elite

>High School: Fork Union Military Academy

>(Fork Union, VA)

>

>Scout.com Player Evaluation:

>STRENGTHS

> Athleticism

> Upside/Potential

>AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

> Defensive Presence

> Finisher

> Low Block Scorer

>

>Long bodied big man who has a live body. Will get mid-major

>looks galore. Has high-major athleticism.

If he's class of 2006 why hasnt he already gotten mid-major looks. Why hasnt he committed anywhere or anything.

In the winter 2005-06 issue of Prepstars Recruiter`s handbook they listed Horace at #191 nationally.

This is what they said...This mobile athlete,formerly from SC,but now listing a home address in Georgia,is a 5th year prep at Ft. Union.During the summer,he played in the Reebok Big Time Tournament in Las Vegas for the Georgia Hurricanes.The most impressive aspect of his play there was his quick leaping ability,which enabled him to block shots,grab rebounds,and score inside versus taller foes.While stronger than he once was,he still could use more beef,and also need to work on his jump shot,which(while ok to 15 feet)is slung off his shoulders and unreliable from the arc.Mid-major plus prospect,did not sign in November.

Diddy, you were right on with this guy. He is indeed being recruited by Brad. However he was here last week visiting and had dinner with Brad at Kriegers. Don't know much about the guy, however he was indeed here and sounds like a fantastic athlet. Keep us informed on the streets!

So does class of 2006 mean that was his high school class and now he goes off for a fifth year at Hargrave.... or did he do a fifth year at Hargrave, graduating this month? If its this month, then he's a potential add in to the current class of Maguuire and Knollmeyer with the rehab of Obi? So he could be on this year's team, yes?

If this were the case, and he did sign on, then with Obi, Knollmeyer and this guy, do you "gently" suggest to Mr. Johnson that his fifth year would be better spent elsewhere and not even make him a potential factor in the playing minutes equations? Can we afford to do that?

>So does class of 2006 mean that was his high school class

>and now he goes off for a fifth year at Hargrave.... or did

>he do a fifth year at Hargrave, graduating this month? If

>its this month, then he's a potential add in to the current

>class of Maguuire and Knollmeyer with the rehab of Obi? So

>he could be on this year's team, yes?

>

>If this were the case, and he did sign on, then with Obi,

>Knollmeyer and this guy, do you "gently" suggest to Mr.

>Johnson that his fifth year would be better spent elsewhere

>and not even make him a potential factor in the playing

>minutes equations? Can we afford to do that?

Why chase off JJ? I still think he's our most likely starter at the 4. If we get this kid, I would let him and Knollmeyer battle it out the first month of practice. After that evaluation, you go the player who looks like he needs more work and you suggest he takes a redshirt year.

at 6'8" and 220 lbs i am very interested. at less then 190 lbs i was a little confused as that translated to lawrence blackledge who many here suggested was just too skinny.

but some of us would call it filling a glaring hole. Not to mention that in the following year we will lose our center with only Bryce to play the position so it might be a good idea to have a bunch of good PFs to play down low.

As for the idea of running of JJ...what part of that makes sense? We have an extra scholarship so what good would it do to tell your most experienced PF to leave.

I watched him workout on Sunday. He is strong and athletic, very athletic. He is raw but he could fill the void of the athletic big man that SLU needs. He can run the floor and he can shoot it to ten feet or so, but his shot needs work. He tried to dunk on Brandenburg but Brandenburg caught it at the top of the jump (by the way Brandenburg almost dunked on Ian, but Ian did get him a couple of times), but then Horace got a dunk on Brandenburg later on in the scrimmage. He is just what the doctor ordered for the Bills and I hope we land him.

Funny how all these guys we supposedly aren't recruiting just happen to be hanging out around SLU. Getting to know the guys, hanging out on campus, who knows...maybe meeting some college coeds. Coaching staff just "happens" to be walking around. Pretty cool that just about every major prospect in the area has an open invitation to come down to campus....and they actually take advantage of it. Yeah, piss poor recruiting...

no i dont think it is admitting anything but that possibly bryce isnt the answer after ian is gone. thus the backup plan is likely playing two power forwards ala cincy most years. contributing centers are a luxury that do not come around too often and most that are very good are nothing more than nba bait.

For years, the local bb talent has come down and played pick up games at SLU - the invitation was always there regardless of who was coach. So in fairness, to credit this to Brad is incorrect. However, the fact that the kids do come is a good thing and can only help.