SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

26 minutes ago, slu92 said:

FWIW I think Grawer said on Frank’s Show some big hitters were calling on Ahearn’s behalf. A donor who I know pretty well said that is 100% true, college and nba coaches/players have called Chaifetz, Fred and May endorsing Ahearn. He said biggest knock on him internally is no college coaching experience obviously, however current college coaches, who have won multiple national championships, all said that should not be a concern. Heard some local high school coaches agree with that sentiment as well. So maybe we don’t know enough about the guy other than he’s from Stl and wants the job? Sounds like he’s connected, has an excellent reputation and the recruiting piece won’t be an issue….no matter who we hire it’s a gamble. Ford and Crews had a lot of college experience, that worked out great. DeVries would be my 1st choice. However, I really don’t think you go wrong with DeVries or Ahearn. SLU either gets the big fish hire or biggest risk vs reward guy. 

I agree that no matter who we hire it’s a gamble, to an extent at least. So why gamble on someone who has literally no college coaching experience? Even entertaining the idea of Ahearn is overthinking things way too much. 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Because they think it's owed to him. It's entitlement...

They or Ahearn? Huge difference. Maybe “they” know more about guy and have been watching SLU go down the drain the last 10 years like we all have? I didn’t get coaches names who called slu leadership but for arguments sake…your saying if Coach K called and Phil Jackson called SLU and recommended a coach that doesn’t mean anything or you shouldn’t at least talk to the guy? Do you think they make those calls for anyone and risk their reputations or time? 

Or would you take a Valley coach with a winning percentage of .584? 

cgeldmacher likes this

23 minutes ago, billiken class of 15 said:

I'd love Will Wade, but I agree with both sentiments (that he'll get bigger offers, and that he'll wait until next year). I'll say he's waiting for Indiana to (finally) dump Mike Woodson. Or maybe if Villanova moves on from Kyle Neptune. 

Wade got busted for what is now legal, and is going to probably take McNeese to a Sweet 16.  He knows he can do it one more time and he’ll land a massive P6 job.  Unrealistic for SLU.

40 minutes ago, slu92 said:

FWIW I think Grawer said on Frank’s Show some big hitters were calling on Ahearn’s behalf. A donor who I know pretty well said that is 100% true, college and nba coaches/players have called Chaifetz, Fred and May endorsing Ahearn. He said biggest knock on him internally is no college coaching experience obviously, however current college coaches, who have won multiple national championships, all said that should not be a concern. Heard some local high school coaches agree with that sentiment as well. So maybe we don’t know enough about the guy other than he’s from Stl and wants the job? Sounds like he’s connected, has an excellent reputation and the recruiting piece won’t be an issue….no matter who we hire it’s a gamble. Ford and Crews had a lot of college experience, that worked out great. DeVries would be my 1st choice. However, I really don’t think you go wrong with DeVries or Ahearn. SLU either gets the big fish hire or biggest risk vs reward guy. 

I’d rather have a somewhat sure/experience thing than no experience. 

But I’m use to the ups and downs of being a SLU fan so I will accept fate.

slu92 likes this

5 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

I agree that no matter who we hire it’s a gamble, to an extent at least. So why gamble on someone who has literally no college coaching experience? Even entertaining the idea of Ahearn is overthinking things way too much. 

Ford and Crews had college coaching experience….a lot. AND if college coaches who have won national championships endorse a guy, their opinions don’t count bc it’s an out of the box hire for SLU? College basketball is more like pros more than ever bc the players are being paid now. If NIL and transfer portal didn’t exist I’d 100% agree shouldn’t hire a guy with no college recruiting/admin experience. Sure you hear about nba guys not succeeding, but how many long time college guys are struggling? Even more, bc NIL and portal has changed the game. 

3 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

I’d rather have a somewhat sure/experience thing than no experience. 

But I’m use to the ups and downs of being a SLU fan so I will accept 

Ups and downs are the price we pay to be a slu fan. 

9 minutes ago, slu92 said:

They or Ahearn? Huge difference. Maybe “they” know more about guy and have been watching SLU go down the drain the last 10 years like we all have? I didn’t get coaches names who called slu leadership but for arguments sake…your saying if Coach K called and Phil Jackson called SLU and recommended a coach that doesn’t mean anything or you shouldn’t at least talk to the guy? Do you think they make those calls for anyone and risk their reputations or time? 

Ok Mr. Ahearn..

brianstl likes this

I suggested a framework for evaluating any prospective hire that levels the playing field.  You can ask these questions about a D2 coach or a D1 coach with 15 years experience and still get actionable information.

What kind of offense does he run?

What kind of defense does he run?

What level of player does he need to run those schemes?

Will his teams be able to defend well enough to win in the A10?

The problem with a coach like Ahearn is I don't think we have an answer to any of these questions.  NBA guys dropping down to college basketball have a horrible track record.  I think part of the issues is players at the NBA level are either very talented, very experienced or both.  They don't require the degree of structure that college players do.

15 minutes ago, slu92 said:

His winning percentage over the last two seasons in the Valley is 75%.  He went 4-14 the first year.  

12 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Ford and Crews had college coaching experience….a lot. AND if college coaches who have won national championships endorse a guy, their opinions don’t count bc it’s an out of the box hire for SLU? College basketball is more like pros more than ever bc the players are being paid now. If NIL and transfer portal didn’t exist I’d 100% agree shouldn’t hire a guy with no college recruiting/admin experience. Sure you hear about nba guys not succeeding, but how many long time college guys are struggling? Even more, bc NIL and portal has changed the game. 

Ford and Crews are prime examples of guys we should not hire this time around. If you can’t see the difference between them and Josh Schertz I don’t know what to tell you. 

Honestly outside of a sure thing like a DeVries or Steve Lutz guys or a Wade, even Bryce Drew, guys that have gone to multiple ncaa tournaments, etc….anyone else is going to be a risk for SLU to consider and hire. I still don’t trust decision makers, same people that created situation we are in now are tasked to fix it for third time. Think about that. Seriously. 

10 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I'm honestly not as down on Ahearn as most others on the board. I see him as a high risk/high reward guy. He could be the kind of innovative mind who helps us adapt to the new age of basketball and college athletics in general, and possibly even help us get into the Big East (which I see as a necessity if we want to keep pace with the high rollers of college sports). Or he could be a total flop who keeps us in the bottom half of the A10 and destroys any chance of us taking this program to the next level, allowing us to be left in the dust when the big boys break away and form their own league. Personally, I'm just not sure that's worth the risk. Yes, Ahearn could take us to the next level, but he's not the *only* coach who could take us to the next level. And we can't afford another setback. 

slu92 likes this

2 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Ford and Crews are prime examples of guys we should not hire this time around. If you can’t see the difference between them and Josh Schertz I don’t know what to tell you. 

I know ISU got screwed by ncaa committee, however against Quad 1 teams this year he was 1-4. Didn’t win mvc tournament, however I watched ISU in stl and they are legit. I just don’t think he’s a sure thing like everyone proclaims. One year doesn’t show me enough, to get excited. I don’t dislike the guy, just not as excited as others. Anything will be better than what we had. 

TaLBErt and kappy96 like this

1 minute ago, slu92 said:

I know ISU got screwed by ncaa committee, however against Quad 1 teams this year he was 1-4. Didn’t win mvc tournament, however I watched ISU in stl and they are legit. I just don’t think he’s a sure thing like everyone proclaims. One year doesn’t show me enough, to get excited. I don’t dislike the guy, just not as excited as others. Anything will be better than what we had. 

I like Blake, but Blake has one zero quad 1 games ever.  He is just too risky of a hire at this time.  Last spring was his time if it was going to happen.  It didn’t.  Move on.

2 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Our COY & Ford were way different. As bad as Ford may have been few MBMs would say they were= in recruiting.

I remember Al McGuire saying his assistants did the actual game coaching. Seems like having the GOAT basketball pro shot doctor somewhere in your staff is a desirable thing. If he could come in this year maintain 1/2 dozen keepers, get some studs off season, bring on strong assistants (with these endorsing HOF coaches help) it would be worth trying.

1 minute ago, almaman said:

Our COY & Ford were way different. As bad as Ford may have been few MBMs would say they were= in recruiting.

I remember Al McGuire saying his assistants did the actual game coaching. Seems like having the GOAT basketball pro shot doctor somewhere in your staff is a desirable thing. If he could come in this year maintain 1/2 dozen keepers, get some studs off season, bring on strong assistants (with these endorsing HOF coaches help) it would be worth trying.

Crews has won three times as many NCAA tournament games as Ford.

1 minute ago, billiken class of 15 said:

I'm honestly not as down on Ahearn as most others on the board. I see him as a high risk/high reward guy. He could be the kind of innovative mind who helps us adapt to the new age of basketball and college athletics in general, and possibly even help us get into the Big East (which I see as a necessity if we want to keep pace with the high rollers of college sports). Or he could be a total flop who keeps us in the bottom half of the A10 and destroys any chance of us taking this program to the next level, allowing us to be left in the dust when the big boys break away and form their own league. Personally, I'm just not sure that's worth the risk. Yes, Ahearn could take us to the next level, but he's not the *only* coach who could take us to the next level. And we can't afford another setback. 

Pretty much my point. Although since I found out I’m his dad tonight I probably should be more adamant defending my son.  Nobody is the only coach, hey Nick Saban was replaced within 48hrs….I just don’t get dismissing the guy bc he’s from STL and wants to be home without knowing nothing more about him. That’s what I don’t get? Honestly having a guy look at slu as a destination job, with our history, esp most recent history should be looked into, if he’s most qualified give him the job! If not, hire someone else. God forbid someone from stl who is coaching basketball would dare want to be considered for the slu job! IF Tatum was interested I’d say talk to him! Why not? It’s a conversation not offering a life long contract. People need to calm down, SLU ain’t a blue blood program. Not by a long shot. 

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I like Blake, but Blake has one zero quad 1 games ever.  He is just too risky of a hire at this time.  Last spring was his time if it was going to happen.  It didn’t.  Move on.

So by that logic hire a guy automatically that has one more Quad 1 win? Job wasn’t opened last spring…I don’t get that. Again, not saying hire guy, talk to him. And again, if big time coaches make their recommendations are you saying they don’t know anything or you or anyone on this board really knows more? Agree to disagree, not trying to a jerk, I just personally don’t know enough. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I look at Will Wade and see Pearl and Sampson. McNeese St was 30-3 this year. He may not be an altar boy, but that’s not what we need. A winner is needed. 

It's impressive but look at their schedule it takes some of the shine off.

But I do think the dude can coach.

ESPN Alert SLU in talks with Schertz no deal done.  Per Thamel and Borzello

I heard there's an opening at Ahearn's alma mater SMS seems like a good fit.  Also likely to be an opening at another MVC school relatively close ISU.