GDT: SLU v. St. Josephs

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turnovers are ridiculous. Cian needs to sit. That being said, this was not on Ford. Refs took that game over the last 3 minutes. 3 bs calls and no block on Parker? Screw the walk. Everybody walks all game. Most mad I’ve been all year. Bring on VCU I guess. Go Bills.

It was a titanic effort but we still fell short.  Some observations:

If you haven't noticed, we have found our "identity" and that identity is also our offense, namely hero ball compliments of Sincere Parker.  I have long asked what CTF's offense is and these last two games have shown it: hero ball.  Find that one extraordinary talent and run it into the ground.  It started with Javon Bess.  Tremaine Isabell.  Jordan Goodwin.  Javonte Perkins.  Yuri Collins.  And now Sincere Parker.  It was also Marcus Smart.  Le'Bryan Nash.  And Phil Forte.  This is what CTF is.  

The injury bug excuse.  Again, it was solely Sincere Parker.  That broken foot took the hero out of hero ball.  Meadows doesn't matter.  Thames didn't matter.  Hughes didn't matter.  Sure, those injuries might have limited the rotation but the real injury was the loss of Parker.  Jimerson is not equipped to be 'the man.'  The kid works his arse off but he can't create his own shot.  Only Parker can.  I bought that but these last two games have revealed the CTF strategy beyond a shadow of a doubt.  

Turnovers killed us but again as Soderball has pointed out as have others our true weakness is evidenced by the fact that we have no point guard.  For all the Hughes love, he had seven turnovers.  Medley had four and Ezewiro three.  Compounding Ezewiro's bad game is the fact the Joeys had no interior presence whatsoever.  Yet Big Brad was nowhere to be found today.  Essankado didn't even play.  Klacek is useless.  Today would have been the best day to play matchup and leave Hargrove at the 5.  

Defense.  What defense?  First Parker then Thames down the stretch played matador defense.  Ezewiro's fifth foul was pure stupidity .... the man was in for a dunk/layup.  With four fouls, you basically concede that and live to fight another day.  Not Big Brad.  Right before Tim McCormack echoed my point I noted X. Brown could only go to his right.  Yet no one overplayed him and forced him left.  Parker could have dribbled out his defensive rebound with 28 seconds to go and us up one.  Instead he throws a dumb pass to the small point guard and we turn it over.  Four seconds after that .... FOUR SECONDS .... TJ loses Fleming for the dunk.  Parker makes the go ahead layup again but then fouls Brown.  Then despite calling a timeout right before that, Ford designs a play to get the ball into Parker to go the length of the court.  NOT LIKE EVERY FAN IN THE BUILDING KNEW THAT WAS COMING!  Three guys were on Parker but heros don't give it up, do they?  We shot 86% from the line and one would think that with 28 seconds left and the ball, we'd be smarter.  The Joeys will go for the steal and missing that, they would foul.  Likely a three-point lead with under 20 to go.  

The melted down just like their coach did.  Another win would have been nice yet immaterial as far as the season is going.  To come all that way and then lose it just hurts.  

Coach314 likes this

I enjoyed the game, the guys gave it a heck of an effort. I am beyond caring about the result, so I was pleased to get an exciting game and watch Parker have another big performance (and again some nice complimentary efforts as well). And made all the better by Travis Ford apparently losing it after the game and challenging a fan to fight him. What an embarrassing crew the Ford family is proving to be. Once you get beyond the point of caring, watching your program burn to the ground is less angering than I imagined. Now we all know how Nero felt.

21 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Turnovers are ridiculous. Cian needs to sit. That being said, this was not on Ford. Refs took that game over the last 3 minutes. 3 bs calls and no block on Parker? Screw the walk. Everybody walks all game. Most mad I’ve been all year. Bring on VCU I guess. Go Bills.

Lol whining about refs.

14 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I enjoyed the game, the guys gave it a heck of an effort. I am beyond caring about the result, so I was pleased to get an exciting game and watch Parker have another big performance (and again some nice complimentary efforts as well). And made all the better by Travis Ford apparently losing it after the game and challenging a fan to fight him. What an embarrassing crew the Ford family is proving to be. Once you get beyond the point of caring, watching your program burn to the ground is less angering than I imagined. Now we all know how Nero felt.

Hoping CTF goes for broke and goes full "stone cold Steve Austin" and just attacks a fan. Makes things much easier for everyone.

14 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Hoping CTF goes for broke and goes full "stone cold Steve Austin" and just attacks a fan. Makes things much easier for everyone.

Knowing the situation he is in, the fact he got close to that point this afternoon is rather incredible. Yo, after the next few weeks you walk away with $10+ million to not work unless you do something stupid, be cool my man. The Ford family has been fun, lets see what entertainment they provide us over the next few weeks.

Soderball likes this

20 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Knowing the situation he is in, the fact he got close to that point this afternoon is rather incredible. Yo, after the next few weeks you walk away with $10+ million to not work unless you do something stupid, be cool my man. The Ford family has been fun, lets see what entertainment they provide us over the next few weeks.

They certainly wouldn’t be hurting if he did blow up and get fired for cause. 

Hughes’ turnovers need to come down, but I’m glad to see him hitting shots with some regularity. Dude has the prettiest shot on the team, and now they’re starting to drop. He needs to be able to play off-guard, to a quality PG.

in a perfect world, Medley wouldn’t have had to absorb the majority of the PG minutes, his freshman year. There’s no excuse for this not being addressed in the Portal. I still think Cian has potential, he’s just overmatched right now.

I wish they’d do a ‘twin towers’ thing with SVB and Ezewiro. SVB isn’t good yet, but he throws his body around pretty well. Ezewiro had a bad game, but he’s been a bright spot this year. He just needs help. Worse case, the fouls rack up, and you go to smaller lineup.

Jimerson may be the most miscast player in D1. A deadly role player masquerading as an all-conference-level scorer. I thought the reemergence of Parker would help Gibby a lot, but I was dead wrong. 

Box and Won and CenHudDude like this

7 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Hughes’ turnovers need to come down, but I’m glad to see him hitting shots with some regularity. Dude has the prettiest shot on the team, and now they’re starting to drop. He needs to be able to play off-guard, to a quality PG.

in a perfect world, Medley wouldn’t have had to absorb the majority of the PG minutes, his freshman year. There’s no excuse for this not being addressed in the Portal. I still think Cian has potential, he’s just overmatched right now.

I wish they’d do a ‘twin towers’ thing with SVB and Ezewiro. SVB isn’t good yet, but he throws his body around pretty well. Ezewiro had a bad game, but he’s been a bright spot this year. He just needs help. Worse case, the fouls rack up, and you go to smaller lineup.

Jimerson may be the most miscast player in D1. A deadly role player masquerading as an all-conference-level scorer. I thought the reemergence of Parker would help Gibby a lot, but I was dead wrong. 

You know that SVB has 5 fouls and with more minutes he would use them…he goes hard and is a big body. He’s the kind of guy in the pre portal days would be a developmental stash.

CenHudDude likes this

I missed the game as I was trimming trees and cutting firewood.  It looks like we fought until the end.  

Hopefully, our next coach can convince Sincere to not portal.  We should give him a crap ton of $$ as he is a player.

Soderball likes this

27 minutes ago, TRN said:

I missed the game as I was trimming trees and cutting firewood.  It looks like we fought until the end.  

Hopefully, our next coach can convince Sincere to not portal.  We should give him a crap ton of $$ as he is a player.

One coach who will remain nameless might have wanted to continue the fight after the game too.

Soderball likes this

1 hour ago, thunderdan said:

The only way he gets potential is if he grows to be over 6ft.

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

You know that SVB has 5 fouls and with more minutes he would use them…he goes hard and is a big body. He’s the kind of guy in the pre portal days would be a developmental stash.

SVB is not good. I appreciate his willingness to play hard but he is a window back into the Crews years. You remember all those "developmental stash" guys we had back then?

2010andBeyond likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

It was a titanic effort but we still fell short.  Some observations:

If you haven't noticed, we have found our "identity" and that identity is also our offense, namely hero ball compliments of Sincere Parker.  I have long asked what CTF's offense is and these last two games have shown it: hero ball.  Find that one extraordinary talent and run it into the ground.  It started with Javon Bess.  Tremaine Isabell.  Jordan Goodwin.  Javonte Perkins.  Yuri Collins.  And now Sincere Parker.  It was also Marcus Smart.  Le'Bryan Nash.  And Phil Forte.  This is what CTF is.  

The injury bug excuse.  Again, it was solely Sincere Parker.  That broken foot took the hero out of hero ball.  Meadows doesn't matter.  Thames didn't matter.  Hughes didn't matter.  Sure, those injuries might have limited the rotation but the real injury was the loss of Parker.  Jimerson is not equipped to be 'the man.'  The kid works his arse off but he can't create his own shot.  Only Parker can.  I bought that but these last two games have revealed the CTF strategy beyond a shadow of a doubt.  

Turnovers killed us but again as Soderball has pointed out as have others our true weakness is evidenced by the fact that we have no point guard.  For all the Hughes love, he had seven turnovers.  Medley had four and Ezewiro three.  Compounding Ezewiro's bad game is the fact the Joeys had no interior presence whatsoever.  Yet Big Brad was nowhere to be found today.  Essankado didn't even play.  Klacek is useless.  Today would have been the best day to play matchup and leave Hargrove at the 5.  

Defense.  What defense?  First Parker then Thames down the stretch played matador defense.  Ezewiro's fifth foul was pure stupidity .... the man was in for a dunk/layup.  With four fouls, you basically concede that and live to fight another day.  Not Big Brad.  Right before Tim McCormack echoed my point I noted X. Brown could only go to his right.  Yet no one overplayed him and forced him left.  Parker could have dribbled out his defensive rebound with 28 seconds to go and us up one.  Instead he throws a dumb pass to the small point guard and we turn it over.  Four seconds after that .... FOUR SECONDS .... TJ loses Fleming for the dunk.  Parker makes the go ahead layup again but then fouls Brown.  Then despite calling a timeout right before that, Ford designs a play to get the ball into Parker to go the length of the court.  NOT LIKE EVERY FAN IN THE BUILDING KNEW THAT WAS COMING!  Three guys were on Parker but heros don't give it up, do they?  We shot 86% from the line and one would think that with 28 seconds left and the ball, we'd be smarter.  The Joeys will go for the steal and missing that, they would foul.  Likely a three-point lead with under 20 to go.  

The melted down just like their coach did.  Another win would have been nice yet immaterial as far as the season is going.  To come all that way and then lose it just hurts.  

Yes, 8 assists on 28 field goals indicates we are back to bully ball.  Sincere may actually be more skilled at it than any other recent Billiken.   I prefer ball movement but I'm admittedly old school.

26 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Interesting - I never thought about the WBB

Yeah, every time they come here there’s someone flapping like an idiot in a cheap bird suit, so they have to have one for each. Only 1 would require a serious travel budget to hit all the games.

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Yeah, every time they come here there’s someone flapping like an idiot in a cheap bird suit, so they have to have one for each. Only 1 would require a serious travel budget to hit all the games.

Do they run around the floor too? If the goal of that "tradition" was to be insufferable and annoying it succeeded.

3 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Do they run around the floor too? If the goal of that "tradition" was to be insufferable and annoying it succeeded.

Yes. Someone hasn’t trained the Billiken mascot to whack it with a 2X4.

31 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Yes. Someone hasn’t trained the Billiken mascot to whack it with a 2X4.

The Rhode Island Ram tried using an inner tube. Might be worth a shot. Or spray stickum all over the costume.

Well, if you want some consolation, the game yesterday got us to rise from 236 in NET to 225, meanwhile all the flapping by the idiot in a cheap bird suit couldn’t stop St Joe’s from falling to 97 from 91.  Will this cause celebrations to spontaneously break out all over Billiken Nation? NO!  My advice to all Billiken fans remains: Start drinking heavily.