Note: Billiken Coaches Show Debut 1/8/24

This whole campaign against Ford is very much overkill and unnecessary trolling of a guy who really, really wanted to succeed here at SLU. 

Rich Grawer wanted to succeed here, but at the end, he couldn’t take the program to where it needed to be. Spoon did. Jim Crews may have wanted to succeed too and had his heart in the right place. Guess what ? His coaching sucked. It happens. This is a results business. Division 1 basketball lest some of us forget. Like someone else said, the reaction from the fanbase is tame compared to other power and non power programs. Be glad you don’t belong to a fanbase that sent out death threats to the CFP committee before the national championship game.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My perspective on the bigger picture is this: there's now a decent chance May fires Ford. If it was 2% in October, it's at least above 20% now. Theres a < 2% chance Pestello fires May. It's just not who Pestello is and nobody around him is going to point the finger at May for giving Ford that absurd contract. 

In other news, Zyree Collins '25 absolutely lighting it up this year. Come out and watch him torch SLU High tonight at St. Mary's. Much better chance that he comes to SLU if we have new coach by the summer. 

stmdragons likes this

15 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Rich Grawer wanted to succeed here, but at the end, he couldn’t take the program where it needed to be. Spoon did. Jim Crews may have wanted to succeed too and had his heart in the right place. Guess what ? His coaching sucked. It happens. This is a results business. Division 1 basketball lest some of us forget. Like someone else said, the reaction from the fanbase is tame compared to other power and non power programs. Be glad you don’t belong to a fanbase that sent out death threats to the CFP committee before the national championship game.

That’s a good point. Coaching is a bottom line profession, it’s about wins and losses. Results. Not whether or not the coach wants to succeed, but whether or not there is actual success.  I believe every Billiken coach has wanted to succeed, but that is irrelevant without actual success.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

First time on the Internet?

You seem like a really nice person. But, no. What you want will never happen. We'll over analyze, speculate and criticize the program and particularly the coach until we start winning for real. 

Nobody is messing with the kid. On 9/11, I was 22 years old, Platoon Leader of 3 Multiple Launch Rocket Systems (MLRS) on the border of Iraq. Wonder if I woulda shot one would ya have cut me some slack?  So keep infantilizing your boys lemme know how that works out for ya./rant over

Stop being condescending.  You've said a few times now that I seem like a really nice person.  Well, I can be just a much of a d&#k as anyone else.  Again, I am rather confident that this is all being worked out behind the scenes already.  Assuming this is the case, this constant barrage being launched at Coach Ford is unnecessary and, frankly, embarrassing.  After a new coach is hired and things have moved on, you will look back on this and feel embarrassed by how you have acted.  Others will too.  But, but all means, buy your billboard.  I'm sure the people surrounding this program, including people at the university and boosters, who will all still be here after Ford is gone, will quickly forget how you acted during this difficult time of a coaching transition.

Billikenbooster likes this

35 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Rich Grawer wanted to succeed here, but at the end, he couldn’t take the program where it needed to be. Spoon did. Jim Crews may have wanted to succeed too and had his heart in the right place. Guess what ? His coaching sucked. It happens. This is a results business. Division 1 basketball lest some of us forget. Like someone else said, the reaction from the fanbase is tame compared to other power and non power programs. Be glad you don’t belong to a fanbase that sent out death threats to the CFP committee before the national championship game.

I’ve said this several times….if a Gonzaga, a Creighton or a Villanova opened up would Travis Ford be in demand or wanted for one of those jobs right now? Hell no is the answer, so why does slu think they have something? Same things that happened at OK State are happening right now at SLU, he is who he is! Chris May can fire Travis Ford, just don’t let him hire his third coach. Realistically he’s just a high paid admin anyway from what I hear. Hopefully that’s true. 

39 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Stop being condescending.  You've said a few times now that I seem like a really nice person.  Well, I can be just a much of a d&#k as anyone else.  Again, I am rather confident that this is all being worked out behind the scenes already.  Assuming this is the case, this constant barrage being launched at Coach Ford is unnecessary and, frankly, embarrassing.  After a new coach is hired and things have moved on, you will look back on this and feel embarrassed by how you have acted.  Others will too.  But, but all means, buy your billboard.  I'm sure the people surrounding this program, including people at the university and boosters, who will all still be here after Ford is gone, will quickly forget how you acted during this difficult time of a coaching transition.

There are no consequences for ridiculing a coach or a player's abilities on a message board.  A week doesn't pass without a Crews jab and he hasn't been here in 8 years.  That's part of what makes the internet so attractive.  You can say things that you probably wouldn't say to that person's face for fear of consequences.

Message boards turn overwhelmingly negative once many years pass without expectations being met.  There's a lot of testosterone here.  It's going to happen.  The only way to prevent it is for the coach to do some winning and lots of it. 

Whenever a new coach comes, he'll get a two year honeymoon.  After that he better start winning or we'll be right back here.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Boo hoo. Waa waa. He's being paid 2.5 million and he's losing. Deal with it.

Someone get cgeldmacher a crying towel.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There are no consequences for ridiculing a coach or a player's abilities on a message board.  A week doesn't pass without a Crews jab and he hasn't been here in 8 years.  That's part of what makes the internet so attractive.  You can say things that you probably wouldn't say to that person's face for fear of consequences.

Message boards turn overwhelmingly negative once many years pass without expectations being met.  There's a lot of testosterone here.  It's going to happen.  The only way to prevent it is for the coach to do some winning and lots of it. 

Whenever a new coach comes, he'll get a two year honeymoon.  After that he better start winning or we'll be right back here.

Crews earned it. If you want me to tell you to your face that Jim Crews was awful let me know. I'm in the STL area.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Exactly what a nice person would say.

Yeah the Internet isn't made for nice people like you. Maybe you can go into the basement where you're 21 "kid" is playing Xbox and eating Tostinos Pizza Rolls to talk about Ford's accomplishments. And also sneak in that question, "have you applied for any jobs? Plan on moving out, son?" Then you can go cheer really hard for coach Ford because he's trying so hard and he really wants to win and your cheers and all our cheers combined is the missing ingredient (like the end of Elf but for basketball).  Guess where that's going to get you? No where.

I'm not embarrassed by criticizing our Coach, AD, you, mixing in a few jokes, jabs and Memes. Point to something personal anyone's said about the coach or AD?*

*The above jab can be seen as personal but it's a joke. I don't know you, know your "kid" he could be great a Rhoades Scholar.  Just using humor to illustrate your previous bad takes. Also I'm not sure I can stop being condescending it's in my DNA, like winning DNA but for message boards.

19 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Crews earned it. If you want me to tell you to your face that Jim Crews was awful let me know. I'm in the STL area.

Yeah the you won't say it to my face people are people that have never met me. I've literally been shot at, you think I'm concerned about a 5'9, 54 yo former PG? Or a message board poster?

JMM28 likes this

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah the you won't say it to my face people are people that have never met me. I've literally been shot at, you think I'm concerned about a 5'9, 54 yo former PG? Or a message board poster?

I don't doubt it. But most people aren't real life tough guys.  First world problems.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't doubt it. But most people aren't real life tough guys.  First world problems.

True I'm not either just willing to talk smack to anyone anywhere. I'm fairly quick so I can get away fast if need be.

3star_recruit likes this

I'm a short overweight desk jockey. So what? I am perfectly happy to share all of the opinions i share on billikens.com in person as well.

OK, i probably wouldn't diss someone face-to-face by calling for a crying towel; but let's have some self-awareness here too. You're complaining that people are being "too mean" to a guy paid 2.5 million a year to win basketball games

What am i supposed to ask Ford? "why did you recruit a guy significantly under 6 ft to play PG here?" He's gonna give me an answer i already know "he's getting better, he's a tough kid, etc" .. those are true things. There's still the problem that most guards in the A-10 are much bigger and it's a struggle and we have to recruit over him anyway. "why did you recruit an academically ineligible international player?" What's he gonna answer? If I ask Crews "why did you recruit Brett Jolly" .. what's he gonna say? The other stuff is already answered. Just repeating many of the same questions and excuses. Reality is the coach is failing and needs to go.

This isn't personal. Even after yesterday's debacle i posted my thoughts on BurnerGate. It's bush league. It's ridiculous. It's on top of the failing product on the floor. Boooo. Lame. I expect better. I'll tell you that in person, too.

I love my dad too, if you guys ripped on his character and dignity I'd probably try to fight you. problem: noone's ripped on CTF's character or dignity, we've ripped on his inability to go to the NCAA tournament. problem: he's got family running around making burner accounts and not standing on the record or standing by their words. That's why it's ridiculous.

I don't have any outrageous or controversial opinions here. I'm willing to stand by the stuff I say. Sometimes i'm a bit heated and say it in an overblown fashion or harp on it too much; but the core issues remain.

One thing Ford said that was correct and I’ll paraphrase…you don’t listen to people who post on message boards 30-40 times every single day. You can’t believe people that spend 3-4 hours every day on a message board. You don’t pay attention to anyone who is so self absorbed they repeat themselves numerous times every single day, without any concern for their fellow members. These are not serious people. These are the kind of people that start petitions, fund raise for billboards, promise big things to come and then proceed to sit at their computer and do absolutely nothing, but put out another couple hundred negative post a week about it. Successful people don’t act this way and they don’t spend their time in this manner. 

dennis_w and AGB91 like this

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

One thing Ford said that was correct and I’ll paraphrase…you don’t listen to people who post on message boards 30-40 times every single day. You can’t believe people that spend 3-4 hours every day on a message board. You don’t pay attention to anyone who is so self absorbed they repeat themselves numerous times every single day, without any concern for their fellow members. These are not serious people. These are the kind of people that start petitions, fund raise for billboards, promise big things to come and then proceed to sit at their computer and do absolutely nothing, but put out another couple hundred negative post a week about it. Successful people don’t act this way and they don’t spend their time in this manner. 

Successful people win basketball games in a crap conference. 

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

Look what the cat dragged in. Yikes.

Also not what Ford said.

1 minute ago, DOC said:

Hahahaha

Because you know the success level of the posters complaining? You have no clue who you're talking to.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself in your fantasy land that this is a problem with people who have "nothing better to do" and not the terrible coach/AD go ahead. How many posts have you made stating the same thing?  So what's that say about you?

I've got a little free time until WWIII starts up and I've decided this is how I want to spend my time.

The Wiz likes this

27 minutes ago, DOC said:

Doctor Sean McDonald, I presume. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

40 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'm a short overweight desk jockey. So what? I am perfectly happy to share all of the opinions i share on billikens.com in person as well.

OK, i probably wouldn't diss someone face-to-face by calling for a crying towel; but let's have some self-awareness here too. You're complaining that people are being "too mean" to a guy paid 2.5 million a year to win basketball games

What am i supposed to ask Ford? "why did you recruit a guy significantly under 6 ft to play PG here?" He's gonna give me an answer i already know "he's getting better, he's a tough kid, etc" .. those are true things. There's still the problem that most guards in the A-10 are much bigger and it's a struggle and we have to recruit over him anyway. "why did you recruit an academically ineligible international player?" What's he gonna answer? 

I don't know.  Those are good questions.  Let me know what he says when you ask them on Monday.

32 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Hahahaha

Because you know the success level of the posters complaining? You have no clue who you're talking to.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself in your fantasy land that this is a problem with people who have "nothing better to do" and not the terrible coach/AD go ahead. How many posts have you made stating the same thing?  So what's that say about you?

I've got a little free time until WWIII starts up and I've decided this is how I want to spend my time.

I know who you are. You’re the guy who talks too much, but doesn’t say or do anything. After your lame billboard idea fell thru you promised us you would be doing something big, other than regurge your tired drivel. We’re waiting. Figured at the least you and your buddy, Soderballs would show up last night and express your outrage. Nope. Couldn’t get you guys off the message board long enough to show up? You can get to 60 post today if you stay on course. Hustle. 

7 minutes ago, DOC said:

I know who you are. You’re the guy who talks too much, but doesn’t say or do anything. After your lame billboard idea fell thru you promised us you would be doing something big, other than regurge your tired drivel. We’re waiting. Figured at the least you and your buddy, Soderballs would show up last night and express your outrage. Nope. Couldn’t get you guys off the message board long enough to show up? You can get to 60 post today if you stay on course. Hustle. 

Too bad the haters on twitter found you out. That had to hurt.

1 minute ago, DOC said:

I often get posters confused because I'm bad with names. But you've got me confused. I've said it's not time for a billboard a few times. I've written out what I will do. See the thread. You don't want me to do anything but it's like you're daring me to do it. We'll see if it has any more impact. Like I've said before this is an insurgent operation and things like what happened yesterday are good for the 99.9% of fans that want Ford gone. Some people can't handle pressure and they mess up and say or do things that hasten their demise. So keep the pressure going because there appears to be some impact.

I don't live in STL so it's hard to get to Humphrey's on a Monday or any other day. Or else maybe I would show up. Maybe I will get to 60 posts that's my business. I'm not always so active on here, but I have a rare lull in operations at the moment. So I like to stay busy and Firing May/Ford and administering message board spankings to you and your ilk are my current passion.

55 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I often get posters confused because I'm bad with names. But you've got me confused. I've said it's not time for a billboard a few times. I've written out what I will do. See the thread. You don't want me to do anything but it's like you're daring me to do it. We'll see if it has any more impact. Like I've said before this is an insurgent operation and things like what happened yesterday are good for the 99.9% of fans that want Ford gone. Some people can't handle pressure and they mess up and say or do things that hasten their demise. So keep the pressure going because there appears to be some impact.

I don't live in STL so it's hard to get to Humphrey's on a Monday or any other day. Or else maybe I would show up. Maybe I will get to 60 posts that's my business. I'm not always so active on here, but I have a rare lull in operations at the moment. So I like to stay busy and Firing May/Ford and administering message board spankings to you and your ilk are my current passion.

You’re posting is everyone’s business on here. You are such an egomaniac you can’t see that. Nobody wants to read about your constant stream of repetitive thoughts. Well, except your boyfriend Soderball and a few others of your ilk. 

36 minutes ago, DOC said:

You’re posting is everyone’s business on here. You are such an egomaniac you can’t see that. Nobody wants to read about your constant stream of repetitive thoughts. Well, except your boyfriend Soderball and a few others of your ilk. 

Yeah it's a public forum so it's for everyone to read. The fact that you're responding and the threads keep going is contrary to your statement. Is your last sentence trying to belittle me by demeaning homosexuality? DOC It's 2024 people can be and are gay, nothing wrong with it. So I take no offense but you should probably think before you post.

But if you must know Soderballs and I are very happy together and we'll for sure not order a cake from your bakery.